• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2015

Wii U
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – $27.99 (was $39.99)
Pikmin 3 – $41.99 (was $59.99)
Golden Sun – $5.59 (was $7.99)
Chariot – $10.49 (was $14.99)
A World of Keflings – $6.99 (was $9.99)
Kersploosh! – $2.09 (was $2.99)
CastleStorm – $6.99 (was $9.99)
Sportsball – $7.00 (was $9.99)
F-Zero Maximum Velocity – $4.89 (was $6.99)
3DS
Mario Kart 7 – $20.99 (was $29.99)
Tomodachi Life – $24.49 (was $34.99)
Mighty Gunvolt – $2.79 (was $39.99)
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels – $3.49 (was $4.99)
Kirby Triple Deluxe – $24.49 (was $34.99)
Tetris Ultimate – $13.99 (was $19.99)
Woah Dave! – $3.49 (was $4.99)
Siesta Fiesta – $3.99 (was $5.99)

http://nintendoeverything.com/super-spring-sale-full-lineup-of-deals-captain-toad-vc-games-more/

maxcriden

Whoa. Time for me to change Toad and Kirby to digital. That is a superb sale!

ETA: that is the cheapest we will see Pikmin 3 for a long time. Amazing price.

Zeeman

Of course the GBA games on sale are ones I have no real interest in getting. Can't complain about VC and retail games going on sale though.

maxcriden

$42 for a game nearly two years old isn't really an amazing price imo.

Just to clarify, what I mean is that the game is normally $60 on the eShop. It's been free a couple times in promos, yes, but in terms of sales this is a considerable sale for a first party Nintendo game which rarely drop in price. Plus, it's tough to come by a retail copy, those tend to be significantly above MSRP, so relatively speaking I feel like this is a really good deal.

Nairume

Banned
Long post ahoy

So, out of curiosity and because such lists existed for other systems on the virtual console, I went and made a list (it's not a big one) of N64 games released in the US by publishers/rights holders that are also putting games on the VC (those being Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Namco, and Koei). Obviously not every game in this list is going to make it because the trickle, the Wii VC being almost entirely first party games, and general industry politics, but here's what we could possibly expect.

Bolded games are games that should have no issue

Italicized are games that may have issues but could possibly happen to varying degrees of possibility

Games not bolded or italicized are games that won't happen or have been confirmed to not be happening.

Already Released/Confirmed for release

Nintendo
Blast Corps (MS/Rare?)- Who kept the rights to this one?
Bomberman 64- Nintendo published but Hudson developed. Konami's been weird about putting Hudson games on the eShop, so who knows
Bomberman Hero- Ditto
Command & Conquer- Licensing issues with EA, so lol
Diddy Kong Racing- Unlikely due to MS owned characters. DS port is more likely.
Dr. Mario 64
Excitebike 64- Uses licensed materials, so it would need to have that stuff removed or the licenses renewed for them to resell it (which was done for Wave Race 64, but to a much lesser scale)
F-Zero X
GoldenEye 007- Stuck in licensing hell
Hey You, Pikachu!- Would need to emulate microphone, but not impossible
Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest- Licensing
Killer Instinct Gold- Owned by Microsoft
Kirby 64
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside- Licensing
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Won't happen any time soon due to the 3DS remake, but could eventually happen)
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr- licensing
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party- Supposed issues with controls
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mickey's Speedway USA- Licensing with Disney
Mischief Makers- Licensing with SquareEnix, probably won't happen in the US
New Tetris- Given Tetris GB was delisted, it appears this won't happen while Ubisoft is publishing tetris games
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium- Won't happen due to reliance on transfer pak
Pokemon Stadium 2- Won't happen due to reliance on transfer pak
Ridge Racer 64- Likely to encounter licensing issues, but not entirely out of the question
Sin & Punishment
Starcraft 64- Licensing issues from ActiBlizzard. Won't happen.
Star Fox 64
Star Wars Episode I Racer- Licensing with Disney/LucasArts
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire- Licensing with Disney/LucasArts
Super Smash Bros
Tetrisphere- Same situation as The New Tetris
Waialae Country Club- Licensing issues
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

Capcom

NamcoBandai

Konami/Hudson
Deadly Arts
Goemon's Great Adventure
Hybrid Heaven
International Superstar Soccer '98- licensing issues
International Superstar Soccer 2000- licensing issues
International Superstar Soccer 64- licensing issues
International Track & Field 2000
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Nagano Winter Olympics '98- licensing issues
NBA In the Zone '98- licensing issues
NBA In the Zone '99- licensing issues
NBA In the Zone 2000- licensing issues
NHL Blades of Steel '99-licensing
Rakugakids- Was never released in the US but was released in Europe. Could happen.
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth- Hudson, so take as you will

Natsume

KoeiTecmo

Other things to note:

-Nintendo previously worked out a deal with Midway to put Crusin' USA on the Wii Virtual console. Midway has since collapsed, so who knows what's up with that license. I'm leaving it off the list for now.

-Quest 64 was published by THQ in the US but Konami in Europe. As THQ is now dead and its licenses scattered into the wind, I suppose it's possible that Konami (or another related party) could work towards getting the game on the VC. It's super unlikely though, especially given the game's sort of unfair reputation.

-On a related note, many of the N64's more prolific third parties (namely THQ, 3DO, Acclaim, Crave, Midway, and Titus) have since gone under. While the vast majority of those games were licensed and wouldn't happen anyway (sorry fellow WCWvsNWO/WM2000/No Mercy fans), it's not entirely impossible for some of the non-licensed games to happen in a scenario similar to Tecnos's library where somebody picks them up specifically to rerelease them. That said, I'm not including any of those games on the list, because it's a suuuuuuuuuuper longshot that will almost certainly not happen.

-I didn't include Conker's Bad Furday and Perfect Dark since Rare nominally self published those (albeit with support from Nintendo) and they'll certainly hit the same issues that Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Killer Instinct Gold will hit.

-As noted, Majora's Mask is unlikely any time soon because it was just remade and released on the 3DS. Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time also have 3DS versions, but those are old enough to where they'll probably pop up sooner. As it stands, the DS port of Kirby Super Star did not prevent the SNES version from getting released on the VC a couple years later.

-While I've labeled the licensed sports games as being unlikely, there's a tiny precedent that would allow them to be released. Tecmo Bowl made it out on the Wii VC after having the player/team names removed, and the same could happen for games like Bottom of the 9th that weren't explicitly MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL/FIFA licensed. That said, due to the work involved with doing that, I think it's best to just assume that they won't show up and then just be pleasantly surprised on the super minuscule chance they do.

-Interplay will probably promise Clayfighter 63 1/4/Sculpter's Cut, but don't believe their lies

Excellent post. One thing it would be nice to incorporate is the list of titles that were previously out on Wii. This doesn't guarantee a Wii U appearance, nor does it account for titles that skipped the Wii (DK64) but have no come to the Wii U.

That's a good point. So, for reference, the games released on the Wii VC were (with the same formatting):

1080 Snowboarding
Bomberman Hero
Cruisin' USA
F-Zero X
Kirby 64
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Golf
Mario Kart
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Ogre Battle 64
Paper Mario ****Confirmed*****
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Sin & Punishment
Star Fox
Super Mario 64 ****released****
Super Smash Bros
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

As noted, any of the bolded games should be able to be released just fine, with the only caveats being Majora's Mask having a recent remake meaning it probably won't be put on there any time soon.

Bomberman Hero was a Nintendo published game and made it on the VC before. Since then, Konami bought and absorbed Hudson. Despite being fully supportive of the VC, Konami has since become weirdly iffy on putting Hudson games on the VC, with the lone exception being Adventure Island.

Crusin' USA, as previously mentioned, made it on the VC before Midway died. It doesn't appear that any of Midway's other games have made it onto the eShop/Virtual console since then, so either their games are now stuck in legal limbo or whoever bought them (most likely Warner Bros) isn't supporting the service. As such, I wouldn't expect Crusin' USA (or Crusin' World, for that matter) to show up again.

Ogre Battle 64 was published by Atlus originally, but the VC release was handled by SquareEnix (who owns the franchise). SE has been dumb about supporting the VC outside of Japan, so don't expect it.

Finally, the big elephant in the room is that Donkey Kong 64 is one of the first 64 games being brought to the WiiU VC, so Nintendo is clearly willing to do more than just release what they already put out on the Wii.

I downloaded Yoshi Touch & Go, and I have to say that they did a good job with the various different screen options. The lack of multiplayer functionality is really shitty for certain games, though.

Kodaman

Go and buy Pikmin if you don't have it.. like.. now

Very attractive price for Treasure Tracker... Toad or ASA Gaf?

Nairume

Banned
I downloaded Yoshi Touch & Go, and I have to say that they did a good job with the various different screen options. The lack of multiplayer functionality is really shitty for certain games, though.
Yeah, were it not for the fact that Mario Kart DS actually has more single player content than other MK titles typically do, I'd probably just write rebuying it off as I did Super Circuit.

Robin64

Nice list, though it's worth noting that Excitebike 64 has a *lot* of licensed gear in the game, from various companies. So it'll either need to be relicensed, or redone.

Richie

Long post ahoy

Absolutely amazing post, man! Hmm, bolded 1st party titles alone would make the Wii U's N64's VC bigger than that on the Wii...Not that we're talking about a big feat, with only 21 titles there.

That said, Excitebike 64 has the original NES title as an unlockable. That cooould represent issues. Then again, the GBA Mario games, Mario & Luigi included, have an infinitely superior remake of NES' Mario Bros in them and cost the same as the other GBA titles. Crossing fingers!

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• Tetrobot & Co (Neko Ent. | $2.99 until 04/12, then $9.99)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – $27.99 until 04/20 (was $39.99)
  • Pikmin 3 – $41.99 until 04/20 (was $59.99)
  • Golden Sun – $5.59 until 04/20 (was $7.99)
  • Chariot – $10.49 until 04/20 (was $14.99)
  • A World of Keflings – $6.99 until 04/20 (was $9.99)
  • Kersploosh! – $2.09 until 04/20 (was $2.99)
  • CastleStorm – $6.99 until 04/20 (was $9.99)
  • Sportsball – $7.00 until 04/20 (was $9.99)
  • F-Zero Maximum Velocity – $4.89 until 04/20 (was $6.99)
  • 99Moves (EnjoyUp Games | until 05/07)
  • 99Seconds (EnjoyUp Games | until 05/07)
  • Abyss (EnjoyUp Games | until 05/07)
  • Watch Dogs (Ubisoft | $29.99 Permanent, was $59.99)
  • LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (WB Games | $29.99 Permanent, was $39.99)
  • Tri-Strip (Form Up Studios | $1.49 Permanent, was $1.99)

New Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• WRC FIA World Rally Championship: The Official Game (Bigben Interactive | $20.00 until 04/16, then $34.99)
  • Mario Kart 7 – $20.99 until 04/20 (was $29.99)
  • Tomodachi Life – $24.49 until 04/20 (was $34.99)
  • Mighty Gunvolt – $2.79 until 04/20 (was $3.99)
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels – $3.49 until 04/20 (was $4.99)
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe – $24.49 until 04/20 (was $34.99)
  • Tetris Ultimate – $13.99 until 04/20 (was $19.99)
  • Woah Dave! – $3.49 until 04/20 (was $4.99)
  • Siesta Fiesta – $3.99 until 04/20 (was $5.99)
  • Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, $3.99 until 16th April, normally $7.99)
  • 3D Mahjongg (Joindots | until 04/23)
  • Gardenscapes (Joindots | until 04/23)
  • Jewel Match 3 (Joindots | until 04/23)
  • Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D (Teyon | $0.99 until 04/23, then $4.99)
  • LEGO Ninjago: Nindroids (WB Games | $19.99 Permanent, was $29.99)

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• WRC FIA World Rally Championship The Official Game €19.99 / £16.99 / CHF 26 until 16.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €34.99 / £29.99 / CHF 44.90
  • 3D Game Collection €4.99 / £3.69 / CHF 4.99 until 23.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €6.99 / £4.99 / CHF 6.99
  • Funfair Party Games €4.99 / £3.69 / CHF 4.99 until 23.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €6.99 / £4.99 / CHF 6.99
  • Gardenscapes €5.99 / £4.49 / CHF 5.99 until 23.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €7.99 / £5.99 / CHF 7.99
  • Jewel Match 3 €4.99 / £3.99 / CHF 4.99 until 23.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €6.99 / £4.99 / CHF 6.99
  • Safari Quest €4.99 / £3.99 / CHF 4.99 until 23.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €6.99 / £4.99 / CHF 6.99
  • The Keep €5.99 / £5.49 / CHF 7.99 until 23.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €9.99 / £8.99 / CHF 12.99
  • Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D €0.99 / £0.89 / CHF 1.39 until 23.04.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €4.99 / £4.49 / CHF 7.00
  • TOYS VS MONSTERS €2.99 / £2.99 / CHF 3.70 until 03.05.2015, 22:59 UTC. Regular price €3.99 / £3.99 / CHF 4.99
  • Swords & Soldiers 3D €6.99 / £5.59 / CHF 8.30 was €7.00 / £5.90 / CHF 8.50
  • Quell Reflect £3.19 / CHF 4.70 was £3.49 / CHF 5

uxwGK.png

TheMoon

Silly question but are the Konami Rebirth games still available and do they run on the Wii U?

Wii U's Wii Mode is backwards compatible with 100% of Wii software (unless it relies on a GCN controller port for peripherals). And yes of course they're still in the Wii Shop.

Pretty great price, actually.

Hell, even used copies that are disc-only are going for >$50.

Please explain this to me. What happened to the price?

I bought my copy of Pikmin 3 somewhere around the very late 2013 for the standard price, and I honestly didn't care about its shelf life. Mine is European, though (with Russian polygraphy, to be fully correct).

Is it really worth this price? As a collectable/physical medium, of course, not as a game
(as a game - yeah hell it's worth it)

Robin64

I bought my copy of Pikmin 3 somewhere around the very late 2013 for the standard price, and I honestly didn't care about its shelf life. Mine is European, though (with Russian polygraphy, to be fully correct).

Is it really worth this price? As a collectable/physical medium, of course, not as a game

Well there's this thread about it, but I don't know if it was resolved.

Nairume

Banned
Is there a reason why we never got Excitebike 64 on the Wii Virtual Console?
Bolded means there shouldn't be any issues, though Robin just pointed out that Excitebike has some licensed gear that will either need to be relicensed or changed to unbranded stuff (which I think happened with Wave Race when it was released on the Wii VC).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is there a reason why we never got Excitebike 64 on the Wii Virtual Console?
Couldn't you unlock the NES Excitebike? I don't know if that's the reason, though. Edit: Oh right, the licensing stuff similar to Wave Race. That're more likely the reason.

I hope that issue of games that used a Memory Pak gets fixed. I think that prevented some games from being re-released. I would love if Konami put the two N64 Mystical Ninja games up.

Oddduck

Bolded means there shouldn't be any issues, though Robin just pointed out that Excitebike has some licensed gear that will either need to be relicensed or changed to unbranded stuff (which I think happened with Wave Race when it was released on the Wii VC).

Ah, interesting. Thanks, I figured that might be the main reason.

Hopefully they can just change the licensed stuff to unbranded stuff.

I have no clue, this makes me sad that I traded my physical copy for Mario Kart 8 when they ran that promotion though.

A couple Nintendo-published titles seem to have become exceedingly rare, Wii Sports Club seems to be going for around $70 on Amazon. Next up is NES Remix pack I bet. That didn't seem to receive a huge shipment either.

A couple Nintendo-published titles seem to have become exceedingly rare, Wii Sports Club seems to be going for around $70 on Amazon. Next up is NES Remix pack I bet. That didn't seem to receive a huge shipment either.

Wh-what?

I bought mine for $5 due to the pricing error at my local retailer. To put it simplier, they just skipped the zero in the price (the price was in local currency, of course, but it still equaled around $50). To think about it, as a game, it really costs $5.

The other item that was sold for $5 was Bayonetta 1+2. My friend grabbed it; I already have my launch copy.

Tizoc

Wii U's Wii Mode is backwards compatible with 100% of Wii software (unless it relies on a GCN controller port for peripherals). And yes of course they're still in the Wii Shop.

Thanks, good to know as my Wii U will double as a Wii VC machine :p

Long post ahoy

Excellent post. One thing it would be nice to incorporate is the list of titles that were previously out on Wii. This doesn't guarantee a Wii U appearance, nor does it account for titles that skipped the Wii (DK64) but have no come to the Wii U.

Why is Yoshi Touch & Go $10, that game was so shallow.

Yoshi Touch and Go is the exact opposite of shallow. It has a rich, deeply exploitable scoring system and is arcade style pick-up-and-play at its finest. One of my favorite early DS games, spent a ton of time perfecting my score on it.

It shouldn't be $10 because it's short and doesn't have a lot of extra modes. But it's anything but shallow if you play the game as it was intended.

Chrom

Apologies if any of this isn't really new. Just wanted to highlight some smaller sales happening on the NA eShop, beyond the ones that are a part of the spring sale.

[3DS] 3D MahJongg - $3.99 thru 4/23 (was $4.99)
[3DS] Gardenscapes - $5.99 thru 4/23 (was $7.99)
[3DS] Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D - $0.99 thru 4/23 (was $4.99)
[3DS] Jewel Match 3 - $5.99 thru 4/23 (was $6.99)
[3DS] Secret Agent Files: Miami - $4.99 thru 4/23 (was $7.99)
[3DS] Toys vs Monsters - $2.99 thru 4/20 (was $3.99)
[3DS] WRC Official Game of the FIA World Rally Championship - $20.00 thru 4/16 (was $34.99)
[Wii U] 99Moves - $1.49 thru 5/7 (was $2.49)
[Wii U] 99Seconds - $1.49 thru 5/7 (was $2.49
[Wii U] Abyss - $1.49 thru 5/7 (as $2.49)

sörine

Banned
I'm also surprised by Yoshi's price. Given the range for DS pricepoints I thought for sure it'd be lower, and Nintendo's been pretty good about getting price hierarchy right for their GB, GBC and GBA games which are also all ranged.

sörine;159512050 said:
I'm also surprised by Yoshi's price. Given the range for DS pricepoints I thought for sure it'd be lower, and Nintendo's been pretty good about getting price hierarchy right for their GB, GBC and GBA games which are also all ranged.

Yeah, very dumb to price it at $10. As I said in my reply above, it's a great little gem. Too bad it may get passed over more or will create more disappointed buyers than it would if it had been priced lower.

What do you mean "of course" they're still available in the Wii Shop when there are titles occasionally from both Nintendo and third parties that have been delisted from the Wii Shop? Do you feel occasional delisting of titles from the Wii Shop is not a valid cause for the poster's question to have merit?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
[sales] Swords & Soldiers 3D €6.99 / £5.59 / CHF 8.30 was €7.00 / £5.90 / CHF 8.50

Dat 1 Eurocent discount

Do you guys think there will be a Mario Kart 8 sale for it's 1 year anniversary or should I just fork out the money & buy it now?

I wouldn't hold my breath, 99% is a no (imo) for obvious reasons,

BooJoh

I bought Affordable Space Adventures. Haven't tried it yet but it looks great and I want to support Nifflas so he'll keep supporting Nintendo systems (and maybe one day I'll get my dream of Knytt + Knytt Stories on 3DS >.>)

Do you guys think there will be a Mario Kart 8 sale for it's 1 year anniversary or should I just fork out the money & buy it now?

Nintendo isn't exactly known to do discounts for 1-year anniversaries, and on top of that it'll be just one month after the release of the second DLC pack and 200cc mode which should increase sales a bit anyway, I doubt they'd have a sale on it in the next few months.

MK 8 is not even a full year out and is one of the Wii U's best selling titles. That, combined with the fact it's a Mario title makes it very unlikely. Mario Galaxy was full price until about 2011 or 2012 when it was finally released as a budget series 19.99 release, SMG 2 still hasn't gotten a physical retail budget release. Another example I can think of is SMB Advance 4/SMB 3 for GBA which was still set between 29.99-39.99 retail right up until about early 2008 when GBA games finally started getting taken off store shelves. Those are just a few examples and all good indicators for the fact that retail Mario titles don't get discounted often. So yes, I'd just buy it if I were in your place. Sell a few games or eat a few cups 'O ramen here and there if you need to lighten your budget. :p MK 8 is worth it.

jholmes

Not to pile on here, but take a look at Mario Kart Wii's discount history and you should have an idea how Mario Kart 8 is likely to go.

donny2112

Two of my favorite games from the early days of the DS, right here. I already have two copies of Touched!, and Touch & Go is sitting in my DSi, right now. Will wait on a sale to pick that one up again. If you haven't played them, do yourself a favor and do so. Touch & Go is an arcade high-score game that's addictive to try to go just a little farther this time. Touched! is the Wario Ware team's last good Wario Ware game and really does a lot of clever stuff with all the toys to unlock. Very fun. They're great in portable form, so wish they were VC on the 3DS somehow, though!

Yoshi Touch and Go is the exact opposite of shallow. It has a rich, deeply exploitable scoring system and is arcade style pick-up-and-play at its finest. One of my favorite early DS games, spent a ton of time perfecting my score on it.

It shouldn't be $10 because it's short and doesn't have a lot of extra modes. But it's anything but shallow if you play the game as it was intended.

Listen to this man!

Top Bottom