• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2015

Robin64

Well, you are not named RobinStation for a reason!

Haha, true. I do wonder sometimes if people on here will think I'm a blind Nintendo fanboy, mind..

Though in reality I've owned nearly every big console there is. Just missing the Master System (yuk), Saturn (big regrets, intend to fix) and the Xbox One (pointless).

deadfolk

Haha, true. I do wonder sometimes if people on here will think I'm a blind Nintendo fanboy, mind..

Though in reality I've owned nearly every big console there is. Just missing the Master System (yuk), Saturn (big regrets, intend to fix) and the Xbox One (pointless).

Yeah, other than Wii U, Master System is the only one I never got. Even had a Virtual Boy and still have a 3D0.

Tizoc

Rhythm Thief is the best rhythm games on the 3DS, it's like Sega went back to their Dreamcast days and told that team to make something crazy. It's like Layton, Space Channel 5 and Jet grind Radio had a baby.

Lautrec is OK. It's 3D anime cut scenes was the big seller for me. It's like Boktai meets Layton meets Pokémon. Just not as good as any of those franchises. Wish Konami would just release it digitally for $10 or so.

That requires the Metal Gear Company to evern realize they released games besides PES and Metal Gear :p

I realise that I'm probably talking to a biased crowd here, but is it still worth picking up a Wii U this late in the game? It's the only major console I've ever skipped.

What are the exclusives that are worth buying a console for? Sell me on it!
Or dissuade me.

Aside from a select couple of games, if you got your fill from the Wii and got to play everything you wished to play on the Wii, then I'd say you aren't missing a whole lot.

TheMoon

Edit: Roughly what % of games can be played off-screen with that bizarro controller/screen thingy? And does it work well? Remote play (local only) is a game-changer for me on PS4.

I'll check them off on the list

>>>>

Nintendo Land // No, designed for asymmetric gameplay
ZombiU // No, designed for asymmetric gameplay
New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U // YES
Super Mario 3D World // YES
Mario Kart 8 // YES
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U // YES
The Wind Waker HD // YES
Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2 // YES
The Wonderful 101 // YES
Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut // YES
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze // YES
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker // YES (but some levels should be played w/ TV on)
Pikmin 3 // YES
Kirby & the Rainbow Curse (Rainbow Paintbrush if you're in PAL land) // YES
Hyrule Warriors // YES
Affordable Space Adventures // No, designed for asymmetric gameplay
Earthbound // YES (all virtual console games support it by default)
NES Remix 1+2 // YES
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones // YES
Metroid Prime Trilogy // YES (all Wii games can be played in Off-TV mode but you need to use the originally supported Wii controllers, can't use the GamePad buttons - exceptions are Wii games re-released on the eShop that supported the Wii Classic Controller)

Out soon:
Splatoon // YES
Yoshi's Woolly World // YES
Mario Maker // ??? (probably yes)
Xenoblace Chronicles X // YES
Star Fox // ????
Devil's Third // ??? (probably yes)
Fatal Frame V // Yes, technically but the sound only comes from the TV. Might be fixed for the Western release)

On the horizon:
New Zelda // ???
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem // ??? (probably yes)
+more unannounced stuff
+ there's a ton of eShop games, some of which will be exclusives. don't have the list handy right now.

TheMoon

That's a pretty decent proportion - I think I can live with that!

Honestly, it's the vast majority. It's rare that a title outright doesn't support it (because of the dev fucking up, usually with indies who are biting off more that they can chew) or is designed for asymmetric gameplay that uses both screens as part of its core game concept.

Robin64

Honestly, it's the vast majority. It's rare that a title outright doesn't support it (because of the dev fucking up, usually with indies who are biting off more that they can chew) or is designed for asymmetric gameplay that uses both screens as part of its core game concept.

I still find this weird because here's what I had to do to get off-TV play working on my (currently unreleased) Wii U indie stuff: Nothing. Its default state was to just mirror the TV.

wilflare

That's a pretty decent proportion - I think I can live with that!

you'll love the WiiU - the games are the best part of it (as they should on any console)
you see how crazy I am about the Vita (over at VitaGAF), here at NintendoGAF, I really mean it when I say the Nintendo Magic is well and alive on the WiiU

TheMoon

I still find this weird because here's what I had to do to get off-TV play working on my (currently unreleased) Wii U indie stuff: Nothing. Its default state was to just mirror the TV.

But you're using NWF or Unity, right? I'm talking a wild guess and assume that Double Fine's games and 1,001 Spikes didn't?

Robin64

But you're using NWF or Unity, right? I'm talking a wild guess and assume that Double Fine's games and 1,001 Spikes didn't?

Yeah, I guess that's the case. But really, I'd expect people not using those to be a little more advanced and have the ability to still pull the correct API function out. It feels like laziness is the only "valid" reason.

Edit: I knew someone had mentioned it. Darksiders 2 devs talking about how easy off-TV is to do at 6:08.

maxcriden

Okay, these are some awesome aquariums:

ykcn0k6j5kq43excmapa.jpg

zscld7eahaf0a9evjxip.jpg

(via GoNintendo)

TheMoon

Yeah, I guess that's the case. But really, I'd expect people not using those to be a little more advanced and have the ability to still pull the correct API function out. It feels like laziness is the only "valid" reason.

Edit: I knew someone had mentioned it. Darksiders 2 devs talking about how easy off-TV is to do at 6:08.

Yea, I know it's supposed to be super easy according to everyone who has actually done it but I just can't fathom how experienced devs just care so little as to just "forget" about it or something. Especially Tyrone at Nicalis with 1,001 Spikes. Or I guess Double Fine after everyone gave them shit for The Cave who left it out of Costume Quest 2 again only to have the programmer tease a patch that adds it on instagram which then never materialized. It's bananas.

Robin64

Yeah, after the Wii U off-TV patch stuff and Spacebase DF-9, Double Fine are in my "avoid unless really interested" list.

TheMoon

Speaking of Darksiders 2, how was the Wii U port compared to say...the PC ver. of the game =X

Not good at all. Screen tearing, missing gfx detail, no support for screenshots. It's a real shame but THQ was in flames at that point. It's a miracle it still came out at all. Just wish they had patched it once Nordic bought the IP.

maxcriden

Yeah, after the Wii U off-TV patch stuff and Spacebase DF-9, Double Fine are in my "avoid unless really interested" list.

It's frustrating for sure. The Cave was such an interesting and clever and fun adventure, though...I feel like that one is really under appreciated in the DF oeuvre.

Tizoc

Not good at all. Screen tearing, missing gfx detail, no support for screenshots. It's a real shame but THQ was in flames at that point. It's a miracle it still came out at all. Just wish they had patched it once Nordic bought the IP.

Ouch, will avoid then =X

RootCause

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I didn't find another Nintendo thread.
I've been in the mood for some dragonball, so I entered wii mode, put the game in, it was recognized by the system. After pressing start, the screen goes black(like ifs about to load the game), and it goes back to the menu. At first I thought it was a bug so I tried again, and nothing. So I decided to try other games, and I found out that my wiiu won't play wii third party games, first party games do work. What he hell is wrong with my system? Can it be fixed? Will I lose my downloaded games if I send it in? :(

Just checked Nintendo's site and there's nothing new that wasn't mentioned early and Mario Kart DS page is up so I guess that's all we' got this week. i find it strange Windup Knight 2 was changed to TBD when the game is coming out in Japan next week.

TheMoon

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I didn't find another Nintendo thread.
I've been in the mood for some dragonball, so I entered wii mode, put the game in, it was recognized by the system. After pressing start, the screen goes black(like ifs about to load the game), and it goes back to the menu. At first I thought it was a bug so I tried again, and nothing. So I decided to try other games, and I found out that my wiiu won't play wii third party games, first party games do work. What he hell is wrong with my system? Can it be fixed? Will I lose my downloaded games if I send it in? :(

You will not lose any Wii U game purchases because those are tied to your NNID. No idea how that works with stuff you have bought in Wii Mode if they send you a new system or whatever. You'll have to contact customer service.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mario Kart DS for $10 sounds pretty decent. I got rid of my cart years ago and I wouldn't mind giving this another try.

It's not a terrible price, but put me in the camp of not caring since it's drops the same day as the new MK8 DLC. Stupid move by Nintendo IMO.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Buy Mario Kart DS to gain access to a new cup consisting of remakes from the DS game in MK8, mwahahahahahahahahhaah

Can't wait to try the new DLC on Friday when I have the freetime

BooJoh

IIRC Nicalis said the reason for 1,001 Spikes not supporting it out of the gate was that they didn't find the pixel ratio acceptable (hence the teaser pics of it on the gamepad running with borders.)

wilflare

bleh didn't know that as long as you use Homepass, you won't be welcomed in the GAF Streetpass Community even when all you are trying to do is to ask for advice on some of the Streetpass games (would this thread adopt us Homepass users?)

---
trying to buy/collect all the NDS games is really gonna kill me

jholmes

It's eye gratingly bad, it is I believe the only Wii U game with screen tearing

Amazing Spider-Man 2 has some pretty ugly screen-tearing if you really force the engine (scroll around fast from the top of one of the high buildings for example) although I could imagine someone beating the game without really noticing it.

Glass Joe

Hmm I know Nintendo retail games go up at midnight and VC/3rd party is typically noon, but what about something like MK8 DLC? Any chance I'll be playing it tonight? I forgot how they did it last time.

Robin64

bleh didn't know that as long as you use Homepass, you won't be welcomed in the GAF Streetpass Community even when all you are trying to do is to ask for advice on some of the Streetpass games (would this thread adopt us Homepass users?)

A lot of people seem to use Homepass, I woudn't worry about anyone saying it's "wrong". Not everyone lives in a city or within range of a relay. France doesn't have any relays at all, for example.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Suggestion for OP: Include a little note on when the weekly store updates generally take place. I always forget, and have to ask, and then The Moon or someone else gets irritated about silly people asking this question with a well known answer all the time

Robin64

Suggestion for OP: Include a little note on when the weekly store updates generally take place. I always forget, and have to ask, and then The Moon or someone else gets irritated about silly people asking this question with a well known answer all the time

TheMoon gets irritated at every question, ever. ;)
But we love him for it anyway.

tolkir

Done.

Etria

Good idea :D
I was about to ask as well because I tend to forget, but want to pick up some Kirby games.

EDIT: Beaten :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fired up my Wii U while I am having my morning coffee just to make sure the Kart DLC would download and install. Then I'll be ready to go when I get home.*

*No I won't. I gotta mow the grass. :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cool, MK8 DLC is out? Gonna download now....only so I can have it ready for tomorrow due to 3 college classes today, 2 having tests.

Edit: They took out online for MK DS? That was like a HUGE selling point back in the day. To be fair, I'm not all that surprised, but still....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bah, for some reason, it's a pain to trigger updates for Wii U titles.

Also forgot this includes 200cc & more amiibo costumes (time to unlock Bowser, Rosalina, Sonic, & Mega Man!)

Edit: THERE, took about 4 attempts to make it happen. Think it was because I went to the eShop first to establish I was connected online.

BooJoh

I turned on my Wii U, no downloads, so I went to the eShop and then exited, then it started downloading the DLC. Fired up the game and it installed the DLC, but it was nowhere to be found. Exited the game and re-entered, and it downloaded and installed the patch.

Moral of the story: Even if it downloaded and installed the DLC, you're not done unless it says version 4.0 on the title screen.

Top Bottom