• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

Eek! That all I needed to know. Let me not bother with SK. I mean I love the Mega Man series (well 1-8) and the Mega Man X series (1-8, except X7, that game is trash) but the one thing I always hated about those games is
the boss rush @ the end
, I don't have the patience for it anymore these days

It's very simple. Takes 10 minutes. I freaked out at first and had no problem. I suck at MM games. You'll be fine

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Eek! That all I needed to know. Let me not bother with SK. I mean I love the Mega Man series (well 1-8) and the Mega Man X series (1-8, except X7, that game is trash) but the one thing I always hated about those games is
the boss rush @ the end

It's not really too tough. You get full health after every two you beat, and they tend to go quickly. Worst case you can also carry two health-restoring or invulnerability one-use items, and there's a relic that lets you spam invulnerability. So even if you hate those, it's easy to get through that section quickly, just depends on your preparation and playing style.

BooJoh

the boss rush @ the end

I'm not a fan of MM games at all because of the difficulty and I had no issues with SK. I may have died once at that part. SK can be difficult from time to time but is far more fair than MM.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It's very simple. Takes 10 minutes. I freaked out at first and had no problem. I suck at MM games. You'll be fine

It's not really too tough. You get full health after every two you beat, and they tend to go quickly. Worst case you can also carry two health-restoring or invulnerability one-use items, and there's a relic that lets you spam invulnerability. So even if you hate those, it's easy to get through that section quickly, just depends on your preparation and playing style.

I'm not a fan of MM games at all because of the difficulty and I had no issues with SK. I may have died once at that part. SK can be difficult from time to time but is far more fair than MM.

Ah, good to hear! I'll keep SK in mind for the near future then (still need to get through Golden Sun and my first playthrough of Earthbound)

maxcriden

yeah that was fun. I was really nervous that the game was going to be very hard. I died a lot but nothing was ever truly frustrating

Same here. I mean, it required patience and skill at times, but nothing soul-crushing in difficulty. (Not like those Rayman PSX levels we've been playing this weekend ;___;)

the boss rush @ the end

Alex, you crazy. Dude.

shovel_knight_by_agb_gifs-d7nnmjc.gif

The boss rush was *not* that bad. I'm absolutely awful at MM games. This was totally doable and you do not want to miss this great game! :)

donny2112

I don't have the patience for it anymore these days

By that point in the game, you have a ton of health increases, powerups, better armor with more options, and special potions to restore health. Things you didn't have when playing them the first time through. It's not like the Mega Man "we force you to spend all your health upgrades on beating the 8 bosses you already beat again just to throw you into the meat grinder that is the final boss fight" situation.

So, I'm not sure what people think or care about with TreeFall Studios (makers of The Letter and Maze), but they recently had their first TreeFall Developers Conference, in which they announced a few games and informed us on what's coming up from them. I think a clearer script may have helped this, but I also wonder if Nindies are considering doing things like this more in the future.

Apparently TreeFall has five "branches," each working on a different game, with the fifth being an all-hands team for bigger projects. For those not wanting to watch the whole thing, here is what was shown.

1. Journey of a Special Average Balloon
-Control a Balloon to collect Balloon Coins in order to find Rainbow Shards.
-Players have to maneuver around birds, wind, and other obstacles to grab the coins.
-It has a number of different environments, although everything looks simple in design.
-"Coming Soon"

2. Elodia: Book 1: Infection
-A visual novel / interactive story. Scroll through the pages.
-Character Bios and Mini-games to play through as well

3. [Third Party Relations]
-Maze Content coming to Toon Tanks, and a Toon Tanks level is coming to Maze
-Maze Content coming to PING 1.5+ (already a PING 1.5+ level in Maze)

4. Maze Update
-Removal of Camera Jitter when turning, now smoother
-Two New Bonus Levels: Toon Tanks and PitterPot

5. PitterPot
-3D Platform Adventure Game
-Game stars a potted plant which comes to life along with a number of weeds to defeat
-Developed by the biggest branch of the team and is their next big game
-An Indiegogo campaign has launched for the game to help fund its completion

6. Cedar Acres
-Super early teaser
-Simulation Game
-Build your own town. Goals and a Story will be involved, too.

7. Scrap.
-Super early teaser
-Shows a robot character, probably the protagonist

Honestly, I think TreeFall is improving, but it also has a ways to go. The Letter was definitely a poor game, but Maze is showing improvement and PitterPot could be even better. Not sure showing Cedar Acres and Scrap this early is a smart idea, especially Cedar Acres. I don't even know what gameplay he meant to show there. Meanwhile, Elodia eludes me. There should be a reason why a comic viewer would need to split between parts rather than as a single release.

Despite this, I think it might benefit these smaller Nindies to work together on something like this, like a Nindie Direct or something, where a number of smaller-tier mixed with mid-tier games are shown in one blowout, with or without Nintendo's help.

donny2112

1. Journey of a Special Average Balloon

There was this movie called "The Red Balloon" that we rented once growing up. It was about a balloon that left a girl, traveled around the city getting tossed about, and eventually popped. Probably was supposed to be some kind of artsy, emotional epic, but it was boring as could be. This title seems like the video game version of that movie. :p

Edit:
Looking it up on IMDB, seems I got some of the particulars mistaken, unless I'm remembering another video called "The Red Balloon."

... a lot of this looks worse than mobile shovelware. There might be improvement in some of these games, but when the bar is set really low, it isn't saying much.

I do like the idea of indies getting together, and some of them are doing that with cross-game levels. But, that doesn't matter if the games themselves aren't that great to begin with.

L~A

Europe:

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Citizens of Earth (ATLUS) - €9.59/£7.99 (Until January 29, regular price €11.99/£9.99. €7.19/£5.99 if you own the Nintendo 3DS version)
You've just been elected as Vice President of the World... So what now? Recruit your friends, your family, and everyone else around town to join your party and fight your battles! In this modern-day retro-RPG, you have returned home from the campaign trails for a little taxpayer-funded vacation... to find things have gone mad! Only YOU have the charisma it takes to delegate all the dirty work and save the world. So don't ask what you can do for your countrymen...Ask what your countrymen can do for you!

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) - €9.99/£8.99 (Until January 29, regular price €19.99/£17.99)
Two of the best-loved - and certainly the hairiest - video game characters on the planet are set to make a roaring return in Donkey KongTM Country Returns. And, for the first time ever in the series, the primate pals can now face their foes side-by-side, courtesy of a new two-player mode. Donkey Kong Country Returns offers the popular side-scrolling experience the series is known for, together with new levels, spectacular graphics and added depth to gameplay, courtesy of fully 3D environments - all of which are sure to delight both fans and series newcomers alike. In this latest instalment from Nintendo, in association with Retro Studios, you'll find yourself immersed in dynamic duo, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong's, quest across jungle, beach and ruins to rescue Donkey Kong's precious banana hoard from an array of enemies.

Donkey Kong Jr. Math (Nintendo, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49
Join Donkey Kong Jr. for a maths lesson with a difference! In this educational NES game, swing and jump around the stage, collecting numbers and symbols to calculate the correct figure displayed by Donkey Kong. Put your mathematical skills to the test in single player mode or challenge a friend to a two-player maths race. You can even pester your opponent by grabbing numbers before they do! This is the US version of the game.

DK: King of Swing (Nintendo, GBA VC) - €6.99/£6.29
The denizens of Donkey Kong's home are staging a contest to find the ultimate hero. So when King K. Rool swipes all the medals, DK swings into action. DK: King of Swing is a unique platformer using just two buttons. Press L and R to lunge and leap from branch to branch and attack enemies, as you clamber your way through the levels. In addition to the main Adventure mode, you can also try your hand at Jungle Jam as you race against the computer in various events like climbing and obstacle races, and Barrel Blast!

Special offers
Super Toy Cars (Eclipse Games) - €3.99/£3.49 (Ends January 29, regular price €7.99/£6.99)
99Moves (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.49/£1.34 (Ends February 12, regular price €2.49/£2.29)
Abyss (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.49/£1.34 (Ends February 12, regular price €1.99/£1.79)
99Seconds (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.49/£1.34 (Ends February 12, regular price €2.49/£2.29)
Blok Drop U (RCMADIAX) - €0.99/£0.79 (Ends March 18, regular price €1.49/£1.29)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Citizens of Earth (ATLUS) - €9.59/£7.99 (Until January 29, regular price €11.99/£9.99. €7.19/£5.99 if you own the Wii U version)
You've just been elected as Vice President of the World... So what now? Recruit your friends, your family, and everyone else around town to join your party and fight your battles! In this modern-day retro-RPG, you have returned home from the campaign trails for a little taxpayer-funded vacation... to find things have gone mad! Only YOU have the charisma it takes to delegate all the dirty work and save the world. So don't ask what you can do for your countrymen...Ask what your countrymen can do for you!

Big Hero 6: Battle In the Bay (Avanquest) - €34.99/£29.99
Following on the heels of their super hero debut, the Big Hero 6 team has targeted a dangerous gangster named Yama and his legion of out of control fighting robots! The team is after Yama because he is a threat to their identity as Big Hero 6. Take control of the stars of the film in this action-packed combat platformer! Send robots flying across the screen as Hiro with his electro-mag gauntlets! Zoom through levels at top speed as GoGo! Slice and dice as Wasabi with his plasma blades! Smash and burn as Fred in his Kaiju monster super suit!

Hazumi (Gamelion Studios) - €3.99/£3.20
Hazumi is a game of action and puzzle-solving where you control a coloured ball. Your goal in each level is to destroy all crystal blocks. You can only remove a block if it matches the colour of the ball. Deadly traps and labyrinths will stand in your way, so use cunning to your advantage! Featuring over 100 puzzles, a level editor, pixel art graphics and immensely addictive gameplay, Hazumi will keep you entertained for days!

NES Ice Climbers (Nintendo, Theme available January 23) - €1.99/£1.79
This retro theme features classic SFX and frosty icons and folders. Scroll the Touch Screen to see Popo and Nana hammer away.

NES Pit (Nintendo, Theme available January 23) - €1.99/£1.79
This theme has an eggplant motif, classic SFX, brick folders, and purple icons. Scroll the Touch Screen to see Pit fire a bow.

NES Donkey Kong (Nintendo, Theme available January 23) - €1.99/£1.79
This retro theme features classic SFX, barrel folders, and blue icons. Scroll the Touch Screen to animate 8-bit DK.

Special offers
VAN HELSING SNIPER ZX100 (EnjoyUp Games) - €0.99 /£0.99 (Ends February 4, regular price €6.66/£6.66)
Shin Megami Tensei IV (ATLUS) - €12.99/£11.69 (Ends January 29, regular price €19.99/£17.99)
Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (ATLUS) - €14.99/£13.49 (Ends January 29, regular price €29.99/£24.99)

JoeM86

Two DK Virtual Console titles the same week as Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Logic dictates we'll get Metroid Zero Mission next week with Metroid Prime Trilogy

L~A

Logic dictates we'll get Metroid Zero Mission next week with Metroid Prime Trilogy

Yeah, sounds likely.

Anyway, nothing for me this week it seems.

Interested in those Wii games for one reason: having everything digital on my console (well, as many games as possible, at least). Not getting DKCR though as I already have the 3D version on 3DS.

Shovel Knight can be a walk in the park if you want it to be. There's checkpoints every couple of screens away and always before bosses, infinite credits, two freely replenishable potions that either make you invincible for 10 seconds or fully refill your HP, and a spammable item that makes you invincible. But all of these are optional; you can break checkpoints in exchange for loot or simply not use potions if you want a challenge. Of course, you still have to pay attention to what you're doing, the level design is very clever. But the game never gets frustrating and is always a lot of fun. The boss rush is very easy, you even get to refill your HP or MP after beating each one.

Circle Entertainment is teasing a JRPG. Not sure what it is though
https://twitter.com/CIRCLE_Ent/status/557045694616174592

Edit: Reverse image searching led me to game called Adventure Bar Story that was originally released for PSP and got ported and localized for mobile. The 3DS release was in June

Ooh, Adventure Bar Story is a pretty interesting, supposedly pretty good game from what I've heard. This is from Siliconera back when it was announced for Japan. I've lurked around the Japanese Miiverse community for the game and it seems cool. This is good news. Circle Entertainment continues to be cool.

Weng

According to the eShop Guacamelee only supports the GamePad and the Wii U Pro Controller? Is there really no Wii Classic Controller (Pro) or Wii Remote(+Nunchuk) support? I'd like to play this game in 2 player mode but can't justify buying a Wii U Pro Controller just for this game.

Phoenixus

According to the eShop Guacamelee only supports the GamePad and the Wii U Pro Controller? Is there really no Wii Classic Controller (Pro) or Wii Remote(+Nunchuk) support? I'd like to play this game in 2 player mode but can't justify buying a Wii U Pro Controller just for this game.

Checked my copy, yep just the pad and Pro. I'd recommend investing in a pro pad anyway, it's a fantastic Controller and my default choice for a lot of my single player games. :)

Chopper

Man. Alot of the really good themes rely on you using the biggest icon setting. Which is really impractical if you have loads of stuff!

tebunker

Banned

Do you like setting yourself up for disappointment?

While it is possible I don't expect anything more than the Metroid VC games getting a pittance of a discount.

flowsnake

Faster than I expected for an SMT4 discount, but I expected it eventually.

And now to decide whether to give up my save on the US cart, which I could play with the region free exploit in theory, but that will be patched soon.

I knew being too busy to get SMTIV would pay off. Shame the differential is being spent on the Theathrhythm DLC songs out that day too (that is one I don't like about these PR, they normally don't list DLC).

But I'm most surprised DK Jr. Math(s) wasn't yet out in Europe.

Also if anyone cares about the NES themes, NOE tweets say they're out on Friday; not Thursday (given how random the theme shop updates are I expect them on Wednesday).

Out of curiosity, what is the official source of the eShop updates? Is that a press release normal peeps don't have access to or is there a place I can check myself? I started following this thread because it's basically the only pace I could find where eShop releases are posted regularly.
Honest question, but what's so great about this week? Unless you're being sarcastic, I wouldn't call a week like anywhere near "Killing it".

I was meaning to ask that myself, the only thing that seems especially noteworth is the SMT IV sale, which NoE has nothing to do with.

Robin64

Out of curiosity, what is the official source of the eShop updates? Is that a press release normal peeps don't have access to or is there a place I can check myself? I started following this thread because it's basically the only pace I could find where eShop releases are posted regularly.

They are PRs which get sent out and a bunch of people in here get those PRs. This is usually the first place on the internet to find out what's going up thanks to their speedy fingers.

L~A

Nintendo sends a PR, which is then posted on a various websites (like GoNintendo).

(that is one I don't like about these PR, they normally don't list DLC).

That's because most publisher don't bother sending info to Nintendo. Atlus games (SMTIV and Persona Q) had the DLC mentionned each week.

And what's this week's songs for TFF Curtain Call by the way? The rumoured TWEWY songs?

They are PRs which get sent out and a bunch of people in here get those PRs. This is usually the first place on the internet to find out what's going up thanks to their speedy fingers.

Nintendo sends a PR, which is then posted on a various websites (like GoNintendo).

Alright thanks, I'll keep on relying on this thread then.
I guess I can't expect Nintendo to post those updates publicly somewhere themselves..

foltzie1

NOA Press Releases

I cant seem to find Europe's, but as pointed out they filter out fairly quickly.

Top Bottom