• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

sörine

Banned
How would that work? Just wishful thinking of GCN VC, you mean? I'd love that but it seems unlikely.

In a way it feels like GCN was Nintendo's most "weird," niche game experimental console. Their main franchises all went off in odd directions and they debuted a lot of unusual new games and IPs.
Yeah, just wishful thinking on my part. Gamecube games would look so great played on the Gamepad though, plus there's a ton of great games which are unlikely to get remakes or rereleases otherwise on Wii U (F-Zero GX, Gotcha Force, Super Monkey Ball, Baten Katos Origins, Soulcalibur II, Luigi's Mansion, Viewtiful Joe, Chibi-Robo, Paper Mario 2, etc). For an off-tv junkie like myself, Gamecube's way more desirable than Wii.

A question:

I plan on buying a Wii U in the near future, but would like to buy SMG2 while it's on sale on the eShop. I'm from Europe, and we don't have a webstore like NOA to buy codes from.

Would it be possible for me to use my NN-ID (from my 3DS) on a friend's Wii U to buy the game there and then later transfer that NN-ID over to my Wii U, including the games I bought? Or is this still not possible as I'm suspecting?

TheMoon

A question:

I plan on buying a Wii U in the near future, but would like to buy SMG2 while it's on sale on the eShop. I'm from Europe, and we don't have a webstore like NOA to buy codes from.

Would it be possible for me to use my NN-ID (from my 3DS) on a friend's Wii U to buy the game there and then later transfer that NN-ID over to my Wii U, including the games I bought? Or is this still not possible as I'm suspecting?

No.

At least not without calling customer support and going through that whole song and dance. If you're cool with doing that, go for it but make sure you know this is worth saving ten Euros for you.

Thanks for the quick answer. :(

I really wonder why Nintendo even allows to link more than one NN-ID per console as it clearly only creates more problems than it solves.

Question, what's a good old-school card/poker game or whatever on eShop?

My grandma had one of those old card sim handhelds so that to me is very nostalgic. I want something good, but so many I'm finding are not so good. I'd prefer something on 3DS. What has that legit classic card game feel like the "old days"?

Same goes for old-school puzzle games on the eShop where you feel like it's aimed at the retro puzzle market. You know those stores where you see pool tables, board games, and brain teasing puzzle games? Cool stuff like that in feel.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Would Blackjack count? I keep seeing some kind of Blackjack game that goes on sale every month or so on the 3DS eShop.

Ladekabel

Damn. As JRPGs Child of Light is a huge step back from Persona 4: Golden. I know it's not a good comparison but even while Child of Light is beatifuly drawn it is kind of boring. If it weren't for OffTV-Play I don't think I would even bother with it.

Still got around 7€ left. Don't know what I should buy. Shamelessly hoped Citizens of Earth would get a bigger discount when it'll release. Should I wait for a possible Metroid Fusion discount when the Prime Trilogy is released?

Though I have an itch to play something on my 3DS and I'm waiting for a steep discount for Shin Megami Tensei IV. Or should I finally try Link's Awakening?

Decisions, decisions... Anyone can help me?

maxcriden

yeah yeah.

The big DS game that I've really wanted was Chrono Trigger DS, if anything just for the new dungeon and new ending. That is the planned DS pickup, maybe Mario 64 DS, and definitely Pokemon Card Game on the eShop. Also Monster Hunter 4.

FWIW I can't recommend *against* SM64DS strongly enough. It controls terribly. I heard it controlled better with the 3DS Circle Pad. It doesn't. It still controls terribly. (terry, back me up here. I bet you agree.)

sörine;147895019 said:
Yeah, just wishful thinking on my part. Gamecube games would look so great played on the Gamepad though, plus there's a ton of great games which are unlikely to get remakes or rereleases otherwise on Wii U (F-Zero GX, Gotcha Force, Super Monkey Ball, Baten Katos Origins, Soulcalibur II, Luigi's Mansion, Viewtiful Joe, Chibi-Robo, Paper Mario 2, etc). For an off-tv junkie like myself, Gamecube's way more desirable than Wii.

Ah, that'd be awesome. Especially since you wouldn't have to play GCN games with that weird controller. ;)

I do have Viewtiful Joe to play. But, the PS2 version. I'm picking up any multiplatforms on PS2 so I can use the superior d-pad.

Damn. As JRPGs Child of Light is a huge step back from Persona 4: Golden. I know it's not a good comparison but even while Child of Light is beatifuly drawn it is kind of boring. If it weren't for OffTV-Play I don't think I would even bother with it.

Still got around 7€ left. Don't know what I should buy. Shamelessly hoped Citizens of Earth would get a bigger discount when it'll release. Should I wait for a possible Metroid Fusion discount when the Prime Trilogy is released?

Though I have an itch to play something on my 3DS and I'm waiting for a steep discount for Shin Megami Tensei IV. Or should I finally try Link's Awakening?

Decisions, decisions... Anyone can help me?

It depends if you want Wii U or 3DS games! :)

Have you played any top-down Zeldas? I'd gladly recommend Minish Cap for Wii U VC. I think it's better than Link's Awakening personally. But I like that one a lot, too, though I think I'd recommend either Oracle games first if you're looking for a 3DS VC game (I think Seasons is more fun so I'd say play that first!).

Ladekabel

Have you played any top-down Zeldas? I'd gladly recommend Minish Cap for Wii U VC. I think it's better than Link's Awakening personally. But I like that one a lot, too, though I think I'd recommend either Oracle games first if you're looking for a 3DS VC game (I think Seasons is more fun so I'd say play that first!).

I want something for both but can just afford something for one. :D

Please don't mention Minish Cap. It always brings back memories to my beloved golden GBA SP which broke when I fell down some stairs. :( Love the game though. Always forget about the Oracle games and will definitly play them but I think I will buy Awakening first.
Thanks.

maxcriden

I want something for both but can just afford something for one. :D

Please don't mention Minish Cap. It always brings back memories to my beloved golden GBA SP which broke when I fell down some stairs. :( Love the game though. Always forget about the Oracle games and will definitly play them but I think I will buy Awakening first.
Thanks.

Sure thing. Awakening's plenty worthwhile, I just prefer the Oracle games. They're all very worth playing, though. I hope you dig 'em. :)

Oh, and sorry to bring up any bad memories. My GBA was stolen with several games when I was at summer camp as a kid. I think it was the Children of the Corn at the adjoining farm. ;__;

also

Banned

It should be noted that the EU version of Minish Cap contains glitches not present in the NA or JP versions, such as being unable to fully upgrade the bomb bag.
http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Minish_Cap#Regional_Differences
You can patch the ROM on PC while on VC you're stuck with the buggy version. Hurray for paying and getting an inferior product.

wilflare

It's incredibly simple. You activate system transfer, follow the on-screen instructions. And you're done. lol

If you're smart and already have a microSD (with an adapter) in your current 3DS, the process is done with in 15-20 minutes max and you just switch out the microSD cards at the end after it has transferred all the licenses wirelessly.

You assume that Square Enix would suddenly care. :D Even if DS games had been coming since last Summer, I bet you we still wouldn't have a single Square Enix game among them because they're that fucking stupid. (yes, I'm basically Top Hat for Square Enix^^)

don't worry. I kinda agree we need a Top Hat for each shitty company. the amount of bullshit they are pulling these days

maxcriden

Made my day.

tumblr_inline_ncoijaTPYX1t1ivcp.gif

n64coder

FWIW I can't recommend *against* SM64DS strongly enough. It controls terribly. I heard it controlled better with the 3DS Circle Pad. It doesn't. It still controls terribly. (terry, back me up here. I bet you agree.)

Sorry Max, I'll have to disagree with you on this. I loved SM64DS and I used the stylus controls. It was a bit of an adjustment to get used to using the stylus in my left hand but I got good at it pretty quickly. Enjoyed the game a lot. Got all of the stars.

donny2112

Question, what's a good old-school card/poker game or whatever on eShop?

I'm pretty sure Classic Games Overload: Card and Puzzle Edition is a repackaged version of the GBA -> DS game Ultimate Card Games, and the GBA version of that was wonderful. Best Spades AI I've seen. I keep waiting for it to go on sale for $10 in the eShop, so haven't gotten it yet, though. Might be higher priced than you're looking for, then, since it's a retail release, too.

maxcriden

Sorry Max, I'll have to disagree with you on this. I loved SM64DS and I used the stylus controls. It was a bit of an adjustment to get used to using the stylus in my left hand but I got good at it pretty quickly. Enjoyed the game a lot. Got all of the stars.

Oh, you know, I didn't really give the stylus controls a go. So, if that method worked better, I'm very glad to hear it. I couldn't get into it at all with the d-pad and circle pad + run button controls.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
yeah yeah.

The big DS game that I've really wanted was Chrono Trigger DS, if anything just for the new dungeon and new ending. That is the planned DS pickup, maybe Mario 64 DS, and definitely Pokemon Card Game on the eShop. Also Monster Hunter 4.

Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece, and one of the DS must-haves, just be aware that the new dungeon is nothing great. The new ending ties into Chrono Cross (which is another all time fave of mine) but you can play the game in SNES mode if you end up disliking the anime cutscenes. DS Chrono Trigger is the best version of the best SNES game imo.

Also, why don't you try this underrated gem on the DS if you are looking for new games that kind of flew under the radar, it's got a great story and cast:

It's sort of a sequel to Tail Concerto from PS1, but Solatarobo is a story that can be enjoyed completely on it's own. It got overlooked since it was released pretty late in the DS' life.

maxcriden

Also, why don't you try this underrated gem on the DS if you are looking for new games that kind of flew under the radar, it's got a great story and cast:

It's sort of a sequel to Tail Concerto from PS1, but Solatarobo is a story that can be enjoyed completely on it's own. It got overlooked since it was released pretty late in the DS' life.

You know, I was just looking at this one the other day. What's the gameplay like, though? Is it more of a Zelda-type action RPG or turn-based?

Is it more on the violent or cute side of things?

Thanks Alex!

donny2112

I loved SM64DS and I used the stylus controls.

Remember the thumb nub on the system lanyard? Fun stuff. Didn't work great without a means to let you know when you were out of the circle, but SM64DS only needed such fine-grain control in a few areas, anyways.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
You know, I was just looking at this one the other day. What's the gameplay like, though? Is it more of a Zelda-type action RPG or turn-based?

Thanks Alex!

No prob Max, why don't you peep my appreciation topic I made for the game a good while back! It contains more detailed impressions :)

Camjo-Z

Thanks Alex!

Not to be a party pooper, but I thought Solatorobo was pretty bad. The gameplay can basically be summed up as "Pick up enemies, throw enemies, repeat for hours and hours and hours". There's no strategy to the combat, just pure button mashing. It's a shame too because it's clearly a labor of love, with tons of effort put into every other aspect. The visuals in particular are probably the best 3D graphics on DS... it just feels like the developers wanted to make an anime rather than a game.

Oh man, I love Solatorobo. It's basically the Kirby of the action RPGs in that's an extremely easy, beautiful, super charming, feel-good game. Don't worry about violence, there's none of it, everything's very lighthearted most of the time and there are preactically no evil characters at all, even. The combat can be very repetitive but hardly the worst thing ever, and everything in between fights is so well done that I fell in love with the game. It's not very lengthy either so it doesn't overstay its welcome (I beat it in about 24 hours and that was after trying to complete it as much as I could without going overboard). Get it, I bet you'll have a good time as well.

Check out some of the TV commercials on youtube. There's like a hundred of them, they went for some kind of record, and some of them are hilarious.

Not to be a party pooper, but I thought Solatorobo was pretty bad. The gameplay can basically be summed up as "Pick up enemies, throw enemies, repeat for hours and hours and hours". There's no strategy to the combat, just pure button mashing. It's a shame too because it's clearly a labor of love, with tons of effort put into every other aspect. The visuals in particular are probably the best 3D graphics on DS... it just feels like the developers wanted to make an anime rather than a game.
Ah, we're gonna have to sort of disagree here, Camjo-Z! The gameplay definitely left a bt to be desired and I wish it had more to it, but the setting, graphics, the love and work put into creating the fantastic world, amazing art direction, lovable characters, etc, made it more than worthwhile for me. I had an amazing time playing it and really, really hope that somehow, sometime there will be a sequel fixing the few problems you mention. As for the anime thing, this isn't a particularly cutscene heavy game (although there are a few, very well-done cutscenes), and it's not very story-driven either. I dunno, man, it's definitely not perfect but I had a lot of fun with it and I even want to go back one of these days.

Camjo-Z

Ah, we're gonna have to sort of disagree here, Camjo-Z! The gameplay definitely left a bt to be desired and I wish it had more to it, but the setting, graphics, the love and work put into creating the fantastic world, amazing art direction, lovable characters, etc, made it more than worthwhile for me. I had an amazing time playing it and really, really hope that somehow, sometime there will be a sequel fixing the few problems you mention. As for the anime thing, this isn't a particularly cutscene heavy game (although there are a few, very well-done cutscenes), and it's not very story-driven either. I dunno, man, it's definitely not perfect but I had a lot of fun with it and I even want to go back one of these days.

By "they wanted to make an anime", I meant more that the characters and story and art seem to have a lot more thought put into them than the gameplay, and I have to wonder if they chose the right medium for their creation.

But when I think about it, the gameplay isn't really that awful on its own, it's more that they tried to do a little too much with it. It's the same problem I'm experiencing in my current playthrough of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, where they've got a decent game on their hands, but then try to stretch it out way too far by endlessly remixing content through filler missions when a great little 10 hour game would have more than sufficed.

zigg

I remember doing this too (with the caveat that SM64 is still fundamentally broken in a number of ways and those were still frustrating), but I tried it again later and couldn't manage. Of course, I didn't put as much effort into it this second time around.

I had done it on the OG DS, so maybe it had something to do with ergonomics. I used the thumbstrap both times.

maxcriden

Thanks for the Solatorobo impressions, all! I'll be sure to check it out when I can find a copy for cheap. Camjo, I'll definitely keep your concerns with the game in mind and set my expectations a bit lower so I can be happily surprised if anything. :)

It should be noted that the EU version of Minish Cap contains glitches not present in the NA or JP versions, such as being unable to fully upgrade the bomb bag.
You can patch the ROM on PC while on VC you're stuck with the buggy version. Hurray for paying and getting an inferior product.

Ah, that sucks. Nintendo really should have fixed this. :(

daydream

Banned

Huh, I wasn't aware. Seems like the bugs are mosty inconsequential (if you know about the Fusion bug), thankfully. No reason to replace my cartridge.

But yeah, super dumb that they re-released this version on VC. I'm guessing the person responsible had no idea about these differences.

maxcriden

Some quick TL;DRs and I'm hoping to do longer LTTP threads for these if I can be a member again at some point. Played both of these on 3DS:

Mega Man 2:

Must-watch French MM2 commerical

Finally I understand the appeal of Mega Man games. Very fun, albeit super tough for me in spots. And I played on normal. I only used save states twice in the game, and only because they were a couple of tedious parts to backtrack to.

VVVVVV:

"Doing Things The Hard Way" and "...Not As I Do" but destroyed me. Lost 380+ lives on the latter, mostly just trying to figure it out. Had to look it up. DTTHHW was obscenely tough but so satisfying to complete. This game grew on me quite a bit. Still have to get the Shiny Trinkets I missed, but I'll go back and do that at some point in the future. For now I'm really pleased with the nearly four hours it took me to complete the game, very satisfying to play and beat.

Shout-out to ElectricBlanketFire for hooking me up with both of these games, as they were on the 3DS he sent me. Thanks again man! :)

BooJoh

VVVVVV:

"Doing Things The Hard Way" and "...Not As I Do" but destroyed me. Lost 380+ lives on the latter, mostly just trying to figure it out. Had to look it up. DTTHHW was obscenely tough but so satisfying to complete. This game grew on me quite a bit. Still have to get the Shiny Trinkets I missed, but I'll go back and do that at some point in the future. For now I'm really pleased with the nearly four hours it took me to complete the game, very satisfying to play and beat.

Shout-out to ElectricBlanketFire for hooking me up with both of these games, as they were on the 3DS he sent me. Thanks again man! :)

The hardest part for me before post-game stuff was defintely Veni Vidi Vici (Doing Things The Hard Way.) Took me the better part of a couple days. Wonderful game though, and plays great on 3DS.

GulAtiCa

VVVVVV was among my favorite early 3DS eShop games. Can't believe it's been that many years since it's release. I prob played it like 50 hours easily.

maxcriden

You're too kind Max. You paid a fair price for it.

If you guys knew what EBF's idea of a fair price was and what all he sent me, you'd see why I take every possible opportunity to thank him, even to the point of ridiculousness. Rarely in my life have I been shown such exceeding generosity, let alone from someone online I barely knew. Suffice it to say, he's the man!

Just completed Shovel Knight. Been on an indie roll lately.

Next up is UnEpic

How'd you end up liking SK?

If you guys knew what EBF's idea of a fair price was and what all he sent me, you'd see why I take every possible opportunity to thank him, even to the point of ridiculousness. Rarely in my life have I been shown such exceeding generosity, let alone from someone online I barely knew. Suffice it to say, he's the man!

How'd you end up liking SK?

It was great. Took me about 10 hours to complete. I'm not a Mega Man fan at all so it took a leap for me to play this. Very high quality game. Recommend for everyone to try it out.

maxcriden

It was great. Took me about 10 hours to complete. I'm not a Mega Man fan at all so it took a leap for me to play this. Very high quality game. Recommend for everyone to try it out.

Same here. Well, I like MM a lot now that I got into MM2. That's the one I'd recommend you try if you haven't. I still don't think SK is terribly MM-esque for me, I see the similarities but I feel like it controls very differently and the levels have some similarities but feel like they play differently, compared to the admittedly few MMs I've played.

P.S. that
boss rush
near the end of SK was really something, as were those final levels.

Same here. Well, I like MM a lot now that I got into MM2. That's the one I'd recommend you try if you haven't. I still don't think SK is terribly MM-esque for me, I see the similarities but I feel like it controls very differently and the levels have some similarities but feel like they play differently, compared to the admittedly few MMs I've played.

P.S. that
boss rush

yeah that was fun. I was really nervous that the game was going to be very hard. I died a lot but nothing was ever truly frustrating

enigmatic_alex44

P.S. that
boss rush

Eek! That all I needed to know. Let me not bother with SK. I mean I love the Mega Man series (well 1-8) and the Mega Man X series (1-8, except X7, that game is trash) but the one thing I always hated about those games is
the boss rush @ the end
, I don't have the patience for it anymore these days

Top Bottom