• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

maxcriden

sörine;148142099 said:
So what if DKCR just never comes to America? :(

It...it can't be. I refuse to believe it!

tumblr_mohnx2qRiC1r01oj1o1_500.gif

I know in my heart it will happen!

--

Hey, did one of you Fawfuls sneak into my apartment and buy SMG2? I have a 10 coin post-play survey but didn't buy it yet.

Fawful_standing.gif

L~A

Makes sense, given Wii U and 3DS are probably the only platforms in the entire world without Minecraft at this point. For reasons.

Yeah, and Microsoft buying the franchise basically killed any (meagre) chances of the game coming out on Wii U / 3DS.

Robin64

Though I will say, I know there's only so much you can do with blocks, but the fences and torches are kind of actually totally identical to Minecraft's. I can't see that going down well, surely.

CL-CreativeMode01s.jpg

tebunker

Banned
Looks like another minecraft clone is on the way

http://www.cypronia.com/games/68-cube-life-wiiu

You know most of what they put out is garbage, but then I see the Color Zen titles and those a pretty good. I hopeful they actually have something good here.

I don't mind a clone as long as it is interesting and well done. The biggest thing is that it all need to feel intuitive. Minecraft works because it is intuitive, and people can share their experiences easily.

SerTapTap

Though I will say, I know there's only so much you can do with blocks, but the fences and torches are kind of actually totally identical to Minecraft's. I can't see that going down well, surely.

What I notice in Minecraft clones isn't what's the same, it's what's jarringly different, like the realistic water, not the obviously directly copied fenceposts and torches. You'd think someone could try block sizes that aren't exactly one cubic meter, too.

You can't blame them for making a Minecraft clone on Wii U and 3DS. It just feels right that that game be on there but it isn't at all. They're going to make bank.

SerTapTap

My niece has a Wii U and a 3DS and she spends hours upon hours watching YouTube of mine craft. It really is insane.

I did minecraft videos over two years ago and occasionally people still ask me to do more. I was the one making them and I still don't get the fascination. Cheaper than legos at least, maybe I would have been huge into it instead of playmobil and legos instead. Less collectable on the other hand.

Robin64

I'd build amazing huge structures in Creative mode but then never feel like I really accomplished much.
Then I'd try Survival and have to spend hours just getting granite or whatever, and I also didn't feel like I accomplished much.

Basically I want one of these with a nice middle ground. Survival mode, but where you get loads of stuff and the best blocks aren't rare as hell.

GulAtiCa

I been playing the real version on PS4. Really addicting. Will never touch creative mode. Would take all the fun out of it. Taking days to build a great and giant castle is a great accomplishment. If I could just wave my hand and have it magically appear without any effort, it really get boring fast. But instead, every time I ride past on my massive minecart system and see anything that took a while to build, it gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

There is a free 3DS demo of a minecraft game called Cubeworld I think, haven't tried it yet, but from a competitent developers.

SerTapTap

I'd build amazing huge structures in Creative mode but then never feel like I really accomplished much.
Then I'd try Survival and have to spend hours just getting granite or whatever, and I also didn't feel like I accomplished much.

Basically I want one of these with a nice middle ground. Survival mode, but where you get loads of stuff and the best blocks aren't rare as hell.

Yeah this is part of what made me quit, creative mode and building super huge, super intricate things doesn't interest me too much. But doing stuff like mining obsidian (soooo slooowwww) and needing 500,000,000 iron blocks turned me off, and I wasn't a big fan of the enchanting and crap that's necessary to obtain some materials either. I can see why it's so popular though, I'm actually kinda glad I fell out with it, I have time to play other games. I don't ever want to get stuck playing only one game, too much variety to experience.

GulAtiCa

Sure you don't fancy making one too? Seems like every Wii U indie dev is lol

I don't use Unity. Maybe I'll make a Don't Starve clone instead! :p

I'd actually be interested in making a Don't Starve type of game, mainly the open world survival portion just to have a live active environment type of game, as that be cool. But it would be a HTML5 game, and I'd honestly not sure how well that could even work as that would be pushing the system a good bit as for as the code processing in the background. But would be something I'd be curious to see how'd it handle.

Edit: Ah yes. Don't turn off your Wii U power during downloads as there is no resume function. Who designed this OS :( Tekken won't be played today now.

A quick random DSiWare musing. So Suujin Taisen Number Battle. The only non-AI multiplayer option is Wi-Fi which now is dead. Now this came as a surprise to me as the retail version (which I've had for years, I got the DSiWare version to show support and clarify a few rules) has local and download play support so I'd have expect the DSiWare port to do the same. For shame, DSiWare. Thing is the turn based game format really could have worked out as a pass the system multiplayer at the very least.

That's because most publisher don't bother sending info to Nintendo. Atlus games (SMTIV and Persona Q) had the DLC mentionned each week.

And what's this week's songs for TFF Curtain Call by the way? The rumoured TWEWY songs?
Still, I'm pretty sure DLC doesn't just pop into existence on the eShop as surley it needs lot checks etc.

what
what
WHAT
The rumor for this week is:
Calling - TWEWY, 3:25, FMS
Twister - TWEWY, 1:17, BMS
Wind Scene - CT, 1:59, FMS
World Revolution - CT, 2:03, BMS
Final Confrontation - RS, 2:17, BMS
Liberi Fatali - FF8, 3:05, BMS
The source of the rumor is some Spanish message board where back in December a full list was posted. Those are all that is left form that list. That also implies the second performance is coming to an end.

Judging by previous batches I'd expect an official video in the next 24 hours.

BooJoh

Edit: Ah yes. Don't turn off your Wii U power during downloads as there is no resume function. Who designed this OS :( Tekken won't be played today now.
I could've sworn it did have resume. If you have standby downloads turned on it'll download after you turn the system off, which I've done quite a few times.

Can someone give a rundown of all these Minecraft clones that are coming out for Wii U/3DS?

3DS
Battle Miner(Wobbly Tooth) -Already out - More focused on combat than crafting, there are giant ants
Cube Creator 3D (Big John Games) - Q1 2015 -Demo on the eShop, more like Minecraft. Dev seems competent based on earlier work

Wii U
U Craft (Nexis Games) - 2015 - Supports SDK Paint for custom textures, Dev doesn't have great history (BrickBlast U dev)
Stone Shire (Finger Gun Studios) - Some sort of race system, Dev doesn't seem to have much of a history
Cube Life: Island Survival (Cypronia) -Q2 2015 - Seems to basically be minecraft with a couple different textures and reflective water

terrisus

Oh, hey, we're headwear-free in here for a bit.

I'll pop back in for some discussion now that it's not dominated by stuff that we're not getting.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Oh, hey, we're headwear-free in here for a bit.

I'll pop back in for some discussion now that it's not dominated by stuff that we're not getting.

Aw I liked Team Top Hat :(

I hope it's not a perm (I don't see anything that bad in his latest posts

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh my god, please let that Curtain Call DLC be true. I will totally buy Wind Scene, Twister, & Calling if those are true.

Though I wish the boss theme from Chrono Trigger made it in. Maybe my wish of a general Square Enix themed Theatrhythm after DQ will happen.

terrisus

Aw I liked Team Top Hat :(

I hope it's not a perm (I don't see anything that bad in his latest posts

He's not a horrible person/can actually be a good person to have around when he's actually discussing games that are out and things that we have.

But he's positively insufferable otherwise, and despite being beaten over the head with this, and saying that he's going to stop/significantly cut back multiple times, it's simply not going to happen. Which is why I left the thread before - I just don't have the energy to deal with that nonsense.

But, yeah, I don't see anything deserving of a ban. So, no clue what it's for/how long it's for.

terrisus

Oh my god, please let that Curtain Call DLC be true. I will totally buy Wind Scene, Twister, & Calling if those are true.

Though I wish the boss theme from Chrono Trigger made it in. Maybe my wish of a general Square Enix themed Theatrhythm after DQ will happen.

World Revolution is great as well, you should get that also.

I can't play the Theatrhythm games though - I have no rhythm, and my eyes don't work well enough for them.

Ondore

Went to check the Canadian pricing for Citizens of Earth ($11.99 w/the opening 20% off, good) and I saw the file size... 7.2GB.

That seems awfully high.

terrisus

I know I said it before, but I give a very high recommendation to Citizens of Earth.

It was a great game when I was in it in Alpha, I'm sure it's an even better game now, and it has some great and very dedicated people behind it.

Everyone should give it their full support.

(And yes, I'm basically going to repeat saying this when it comes out, and when the OP is up)

daydream

Banned
I know I said it before, but I give a very high recommendation to Citizens of Earth.

It was a great game when I was in it in Alpha, I'm sure it's an even better game now, and it has some great and very dedicated people behind it.

Everyone should give it their full support.

The artstyle and animation look really disjointed in motion, RPG Maker-esque almost. I'll wait for more impressions first.

Also, considering the eShop filesize, I'd rather get it on Vita if I decide to grab it.

terrisus

The artstyle and animation look really disjointed in motion, RPG Maker-esque almost. I'll wait for more impressions first.

Also, considering the eShop filesize, I'd rather get it on Vita if I decide to grab it.

I personally love the artstyle.
Movement was a bit jerky when I played it in Alpha, don't know how that is now, but it didn't bother me much.

And, why would you get it for Vita with their expensive proprietary memory over one of Nintendo's where you can use inexpensive commonly-available memory? =(

But, yeah, I understand waiting for other feedback. I just hope everyone else likes it as much as I do, since I would love to see more games like this.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god relistening to Calling & Twister reminded me of TWEWY's music & now I want the OSTs (which there's 3 of them it seems) to listen to in my car. Curse my low funds at the moment.

....now I want to replay the game as well. Maybe Nintendo will make DS games downloadable on 3DS considering we got Wii downloads on Wii U....

daydream

Banned
I personally love the artstyle.
Movement was a bit jerky when I played it in Alpha, don't know how that is now, but it didn't bother me much.

And, why would you get it for Vita with their expensive proprietary memory over one of Nintendo's where you can use inexpensive commonly-available memory? =(

But, yeah, I understand waiting for other feedback. I just hope everyone else likes it as much as I do, since I would love to see more games like this.

I like the artstyle of the individual elements well enough, it's just seeing those "in motion" and arranged on a world map/battle screen/etc. that has me worried. I'm also interested in opinions on the writing, pacing and VA.

I suppose you're right on the memory part, I just have space left on my Vita whereas I'd have to get a new hard drive for my WiiU first. Fatal inconvenience!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish it was rock'n roll racing. That hasn't made the Wii U jump yet has it? Wonder how that holds up. Micro Machines probably holds up better.

PS: I think it's poor taste even if you wanted him banned to flaunt that he's gone.

terrisus

I like the artstyle of the individual elements well enough, it's just seeing those "in motion" and arranged on a world map/battle screen/etc. that has me worried. I'm also interested in opinions on the writing, pacing and VA.

I suppose you're right on the memory part, I just have space left on my Vita whereas I'd have to get a new hard drive for my WiiU first. Fatal inconvenience!

Yeah, I mean, I can't comment too much on the details/fine-tuning type of stuff, since I haven't played it since I was in Alpha back in like May of last year.

Unfortunately, we were in the process of trying to find an apartment and moving at that point (well, it was very fortunate for us, but unfortunate for spending time with this game), so I didn't have time to keep up with the Alpha and was understandably dropped.

But, I'm looking very forward to playing the finished product. Since, it was great 6+ months ago already.

terrisus

Yeah, like I said before, there are more posts in this thread about TTH than there are posts from him complaining.

I disagree with that.
I don't think it's even remotely close, either.

But, I've said my piece, and while others are free to do what they want, I'm looking forward to some great Nintendo discussion here now.

BooJoh

Wish it was rock'n roll racing. That hasn't made the Wii U jump yet has it? Wonder how that holds up. Micro Machines probably holds up better.

None of Blizzard's old games have made VC. I'm not sure if that would be up to them or Interplay. If you have a battle.net account you can download PC versions of RNR Racing, Lost Vikings, and Blackthorne on the clients download page, I'm pretty sure they're still free, but I think they might be lacking compared to the SNES/GBA versions.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This one's supposed to be pretty interesting, although I take iOS-GAF's impressions/recommendations with a grain of salt.

iOS GAF is for the vast majority made of people like myself, peeps who've been gaming 30+ years and have every platform under the sun, certainly no worse than the recommendations of PSN/eShop/Live GAF going by the amount of duds that get a pass or average games brought up constantly in those specific threads. There might be a couple of over-enthusiasts over there but like in every other thread (ever ventured into a game's OT the first couple weeks, especially if an exclusive? that is bad) plus Blek has won a gazillion awards it's not like it's iOS GAF exclusive, I own it but it's not really for me... got it for free (iOS gaming rules).

This dismissive attitude towards every iOS game and the GAF community is beyond annoying, simply 'cause it's plain false at this point.

sheaaaa

iOS GAF is for the vast majority made of people like myself, peeps who've been gaming 30+ years and have every platform under the sun, certainly no worse than the recommendations of PSN/eShop/Live GAF going by the amount of duds that get a pass or average games brought up constantly in those specific threads. There might be a couple of over-enthusiasts over there but like in every other thread (ever ventured into a game's OT the first couple weeks, especially if an exclusive? that is bad) plus Blek has won a gazillion awards it's not like it's iOS GAF exclusive, I own it but it's not really for me... got it for free (iOS gaming rules).

This dismissive attitude towards every iOS game and the GAF community is beyond annoying, simply 'cause it's plain false at this point.

The recommendations in all dedicated threads are to be taken with a heaping of salt usually, from iOS to PSN to this thread. It's hard to differentiate between what's worthwhile if you have all platforms, and what's worthwhile if you devote all your attention to just one.

Top Bottom