• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

BooJoh

The recommendations in all dedicated threads are to be taken with a heaping of salt usually, from iOS to PSN to this thread. It's hard to differentiate between what's worthwhile if you have all platforms, and what's worthwhile if you devote all your attention to just one.

Taste is a factor too. I've seen a lot of negative comments around the web about Xeodrifter but it was one of my favorite eShop games last year, even if I did 100% it in an evening. On the other hand, I tried to like the highly-praised Sin & Punishment but it was just not fun at all for me.

Nairume

Banned
Woo, I forgot that Lufia 3 has some really wonky boss balancing, but it's still as otherwise great as I remembered.

Still heartily recommend anybody interested in a solid gameboy RPG give it a shot now that it's up on the VC.

Chrom

3DS
Battle Miner(Wobbly Tooth) -Already out - More focused on combat than crafting, there are giant ants
Cube Creator 3D (Big John Games) - Q1 2015 -Demo on the eShop, more like Minecraft. Dev seems competent based on earlier work

Wii U
U Craft (Nexis Games) - 2015 - Supports SDK Paint for custom textures, Dev doesn't have great history (BrickBlast U dev)
Stone Shire (Finger Gun Studios) - Some sort of race system, Dev doesn't seem to have much of a history
Cube Life: Island Survival (Cypronia) -Q2 2015 - Seems to basically be minecraft with a couple different textures and reflective water

Thank you for this.

I tried out the demo for Cube Creator 3D. I have to say I'm a fan of it.

Robin64

Edit: They put the Tweet back up!

MavhbZ7.png

Hopefully we'll get the Streetpass puzzle too!

Tempted to get SMT on sale as I still haven't tried one, but it'll be a long time before I get around to actually playing it.

Writing this reminds me I bought VLR on sale about a year ago and still haven't played that either...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Club Nintendo has a new set of games up:

L1V5lwV.png

Also, next month, members will finally get Flipnote Studio 3D for free. There's suppose to be more games to download as well.

daydream

Banned
iOS GAF is for the vast majority made of people like myself, peeps who've been gaming 30+ years and have every platform under the sun, certainly no worse than the recommendations of PSN/eShop/Live GAF going by the amount of duds that get a pass or average games brought up constantly in those specific threads. There might be a couple of over-enthusiasts over there but like in every other thread (ever ventured into a game's OT the first couple weeks, especially if an exclusive? that is bad) plus Blek has won a gazillion awards it's not like it's iOS GAF exclusive, I own it but it's not really for me... got it for free (iOS gaming rules).

This dismissive attitude towards every iOS game and the GAF community is beyond annoying, simply 'cause it's plain false at this point.

Hey Dash, I apologise for my generalisation. I certainly got zero (and I mean zero) issues with iOS gaming, the games themselves, people who mainly play on iOS, etc. I wouldn't lurk the iOS thread otherwise, I want to stay up to date on releases and all the good stuff that comes out on that platform. It's just that sometimes I feel like they (iOS-GAF) get into this routine where they're praising a new game every 3-4 days and I don't know whether it will have a staying power that will last a week or not (and indeed, a lot of stuff seems to get forgotten about as if it wasn't that remarkable in the first place). You are absolutely right that this exists in a lot of threads but since I was talking about Blek at the time, I brougth up (perhaps unjustly so) iOS-GAF. It is totally true that a lot of platform-centered communities as well as OT posters could use some (or a lot of) moderation in their tone when talking about new games they started playing and it is absolutely not an issue exclusive to the iOS threads, absolutely not.

I think overall we are in agreement on this, at least I hope I could give my position a little more nuance which I wrongly left out the first time.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

L1V5lwV.png

Also, next month, members will finally get Flipnote Studio 3D for free. There's suppose to be more games to download as well.

"up to June 30 2015"

the hell... are these the only games they are putting up until summer then?
I'm thinking of grabbing Super Metroid, anyone know if that is the Wii U version that's playable on the gamepad or are you forced to go into Wii mode? I never thought much of Super Metroid honestly, maybe it's time I give it another shot and see if my opinion improves. I loved the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Other M.

zroid

Banned
"up to June 30 2015"

I'm thinking of grabbing Super Metroid, anyone know if that is the Wii U version that's playable on the gamepad or are you forced to go into Wii mode? I never thought much of Super Metroid honestly, maybe it's time I give it another shot and see if my opinion improves. I loved the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Other M.

Club Nintendo is getting shut down. They're planning to add a bunch of new stuff in Feb, both physical and digital rewards.

we will add dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items to the rewards catalog in February

maxcriden

"up to June 30 2015"

If you have a 3DS and never played DK '94, the GB VC game pictured above, it's an incredible game and well worth your time.

"up to June 30 2015"

I'll simply say that Other M is a disappointment and Super Metroid is a better game.

SerTapTap

Dang, end of an era with Club Nintendo closing. I almost bought 2 3DS card cases ASAP when I heard the news, but I'll wait to see these february rewards. They've kinda sucked lately, hopefully there's something decent physical as a send-off. Hopefully it's 1000 coins or less, too, since that's all I have after the awesome Luigi's Mansion diorama.

I have a japanese club nintendo code for senran kagura 2, I assume it won't work in US club nintendo? I didn't even bother, guess I may as well find someone to give it to though

If it says Wii, it means Wii usually, so I would assume it's the wii mode one and you'd have to pay the $1.50 upgrade fee to get it on your gamepad properly. How far did you get in Super Metroid? My opinion of it is slightly lower than most people's (I don't care for most of the boss fights) but the exploration is great. Game opens up a lot as you go on, I wouldn't base your opinion on the first hour. Gets interesting as you start getting missiles, super missiles, movement power ups.

If you already beat it, might try Fusion instead (or Zero Mission when it hits). I liked Fusion, the exploration was lacking but the gameplay was tight. Super Metroid always felt like it needed a few more buttons, but Fusion's controls map to the limited buttons very well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Club Nintendo is closing and TTH is banned and without the possibility of creating an angry thread? (still remember that one and with the huge amount of points he had ... )

It was nice while it lasted.

Nintendo doesn't want to give out free games any more.

They better hope that Splatoon and X are the console sellers they expect them to be.

sörine

Banned

L1V5lwV.png

They really should've dumped Wii downloads long ago. Or at most left one option for N64 games and other titles not on the Wii U eShop only.

maxcriden

It was nice while it lasted.

Nintendo doesn't want to give out free games any more.

They better hope that Splatoon and X are the console sellers they expect them to be.

Hey, for all we know the new rewards program will be all about free games. Nintendo's version of PS+, even.

SerTapTap

Hey, for all we know the new rewards program will be all about free games. Nintendo's version of PS+, even.

They did mention something about some sort of loyalty bonus like a year ago, maybe it's that. What makes me sad is all the poor unused Club Nintendo codes in all those unsold game cases. Picking that code out is usually one of the first things I do. Open case, remove card, remove club nintendo slip, shelf empty case for good.

Speaking of cards, what card cases do you all use for 3DS? I have too many cards and my cases are kind of a pain to use, so my "currently in play" cards just get left out in a drawer. I was gonna get the club nintendo ones but I'm holding out incase the february stuff blows my socks off. And I mean, the cases are pretty meh rewards, rather buy those with real money and get something really unique with my coins.

SerTapTap

Before I swtched full time to the Club Nintendo cases, I used Hori's 24 game case.

was hoping for more than 6 a page...do those snap in and out easily though? Biggest problems of my current one are that it's only 6 to a page and my 2 are full (I have a lot of DS games), and they're very hard to snap out, especially 3DS games

maxcriden

was hoping for more than 6 a page...do those snap in and out easily though? Biggest problems of my current one are that it's only 6 to a page and my 2 are full (I have a lot of DS games), and they're very hard to snap out, especially 3DS games

I use the CN ones. I like the 9 games per page, and the covers are great.

Do you guys have any clue on what the new thing could possibly be? I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to plug in all of my leftover coins or give them to my buds.

zroid

Banned
Do you guys have any clue on what the new thing could possibly be? I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to plug in all of my leftover coins or give them to my buds.

well it doesn't really matter, the coins won't have anything to do with the next system... use 'em or lose 'em

SerTapTap

I use the CN ones. I like the 9 games per page, and the covers are great.

Yeah, they looked pretty good, was gonna get the pikmin ones. Though really I could probably stand to have a giant one with 12 games a page. I think I currently can store 48 - like 8 stupid SD card slots (does anyone even use more than one per 3DS?) and it's not enough because of the SD card only ones. I'm not sure if 2 club nintendo ones would even be enough, I'd have to count.

well it doesn't really matter, the coins won't have anything to do with the next system... use 'em or lose 'em

Yeah, I doubt your coin balance matters for the new one. I'm inputting all of mine to get platinum, I'd do the same if I were you, or if you're platinum and feeling generous try to give your codes to friends to get them to platinum. Or just put in all your codes yourself and give gifts, though that's hard when 10 3DS games earns you one card case.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
If it says Wii, it means Wii usually, so I would assume it's the wii mode one and you'd have to pay the $1.50 upgrade fee to get it on your gamepad properly. How far did you get in Super Metroid? My opinion of it is slightly lower than most people's (I don't care for most of the boss fights) but the exploration is great. Game opens up a lot as you go on, I wouldn't base your opinion on the first hour. Gets interesting as you start getting missiles, super missiles, movement power ups.

If you already beat it, might try Fusion instead (or Zero Mission when it hits). I liked Fusion, the exploration was lacking but the gameplay was tight. Super Metroid always felt like it needed a few more buttons, but Fusion's controls map to the limited buttons very well.

Club Nintendo is getting shut down. They're planning to add a bunch of new stuff in Feb, both physical and digital rewards.

Ah I see! Had no clue Club Nintendo was closing, that's why their offerings have been so paltry lately I guess O_O. Will pass on Super Metroid then and maybe wait to see what February brings...... maybe another great prize like the gold nunchuk I was able to get a good while back to match my Skyward Sword gold Wii-mote. I missed out on the nunchuk first time and was sitting @ the computer like a hawk when the 2nd round game haha. Or maybe the Mario 3D World soundtrack with the gorgeous foil cat cover that NA never got (unless I wasn't paying attention)

I'll simply say that Other M is a disappointment and Super Metroid is a better game.

lol I know loving Other M is not a popular opinion :p

If you have a 3DS and never played DK '94, the GB VC game pictured above, it's an incredible game and well worth your time.

I think my brother owned this when we were kids....... Didn't it have a ton of levels and each level was kind of a puzzle to get to the goal? If that's the game I'm thinking of it was really good!

I remembered when Club Nintendo first opened and it carried over all that Nsider stuff you registered. I was thinking on the off hand they carried over the list and use it to offer you discounts. Like since have the Mario & Luigi Bros series registered you would get like idk 10-20% off the next title in the series. But that's too good of an idea. I'll just ask my buds if they need help, they probably do.

I like to believe this means that a better replacement is on the way, but when it comes to Nintendo, I never know what to expect. :p

I disagree with that.
I don't think it's even remotely close, either.

But, I've said my piece, and while others are free to do what they want, I'm looking forward to some great Nintendo discussion here now.

I don't see how his presence was stopping great discussion from happening. Are we only allowed to post here if we praise Nintendo? Was he being disrespectful towards the other members? Was he antagonizing people? No? Then I don't see what the fuss is about.

Speaking of which, does anybody know why he got banned?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
460 coins on my one account, 320 on the other. The current offerings are just OK (Mario 2 has me interested), but I'll likely wait to see what else they introduce.

Any news on if DKC is finally going to come to the US?

zroid

Banned
sörine;148312313 said:
I have a little over 4k coins to blow. Uh, I guess I'll download Excitebike.

if you're not sure, might as well wait till feb, the games available right now aren't going anywhere

who knows, the new physical rewards could be pretty pricey

TheMoon

Wish it was rock'n roll racing. That hasn't made the Wii U jump yet has it? Wonder how that holds up. Micro Machines probably holds up better.

PS: I think it's poor taste even if you wanted him banned to flaunt that he's gone.

Blizzard game. Never happening. They don't care.

sörine

Banned
Blizzard game. Never happening. They don't care.
It seems to matter more if Nintendo cares or not given they license, emulate and test everything. If Nintendo pursued the games then Activision would probably go for it. They licensed some MD games to Sega on Wii VC.

I guess I am getting Super Punch Out and probably upgrading it to Wii U side whenever I get a points card. Not too bummed about never being able to snag Kirby Super Star when it was on a while back considering I have it on my Dream Collection for Wii.

I will really miss CN. 9 lovely posters and about a dozen great digital games. Felt like a digital gaming grab-bag. Sure, there were some crap months but it was free stuff. Hope the Plat reward impresses.

I hope whatever replaces Club Nintendo is more integrated with the eShop though things could be messy as I have NNID on a 3DS (I don't want one either until they allow multiple users) and multiple ones on the Wii U. Also I don't think any of them use the same e-mail as my Club Nintendo account. *posted while wearing Mario Kart T-shirt*

Seems like the Triple Deluxe Minigames are coming to the eShop: https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/557492903246069760
Ugh what took NOE so long. All I can assume is some employees from the 90s who hated Kirby still work there...

Before I swtched full time to the Club Nintendo cases, I used Hori's 24 game case.
As a European green with envy that the US CN has/had these recently available and who has two full cases, if NOE don't get more stock I might be forced to buy these very obvious clones:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FA9EKR0/
Shame they're not transparent plastic as I could have then used the slipcovers from the Club Nintendo ones. Still I really hate buying these sorts of clones (you might notice the same company have a clone of the 24 cart Hori case) but when it comes to Club Nintendo there is little choice.

Top Bottom