• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guess I could mention it here, but Scram Kitty is no longer Wii U exclusive, as it's making the jump to PS4 & Vita as "Scram Kitty DX", which a new Challenge Mode & leaderboards.

*waits for maxcriden's reaction* Personally, the level structure of the game would feel great on a handheld. Kind of surprised there was no 3DS version. I imagine they could've handled the 3D effects rather well.

TheMoon

Guess I could mention it here, but Scram Kitty is no longer Wii U exclusive, as it's making the jump to PS4 & Vita as "Scram Kitty DX", which a new Challenge Mode & leaderboards.

*waits for maxcriden's reaction* Personally, the level structure of the game would feel great on a handheld. Kind of surprised there was no 3DS version. I imagine they could've handled the 3D effects rather well.

That's last week's news ;)

daydream

Banned
Wait, where the hell is your ing?

not sure what you're talking about

kazura-giggle(c).gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice. What did you think of Azran? It's my favorite of the 6 Professor Layton games, just slightly edging out Unwound Future :)

Have you thought about trying Rhythm Thief? Great underrated game, plays very much like Professor Layton but with rhythm games/segments instead of puzzles:

I'd have to think about ranking it in relation to the others, but my two favorites are probably Curious Village and Unwound Future in no particular order. I liked it overall, but I'm mostly glad that it came out/I played it later because back when I played Miracle Mask I was pretty burnt out on the Layton gameplay (which is probably my own fault). One thing I really liked was how you could travel around to the different areas, it was fun finding puzzles and new conversations based on the newspaper stories. I guess I'd say it's the third best for me (unless we're also counting Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, which I really, really liked), since I do think it was better than the other two of the prequel trilogy, and Diabolical Box is my least favorite. But I also haven't played any of the previous ones since their release, so :p I really love the characters and the universe though, so it was kind of bittersweet finishing.

I have Rhythm Thief actually :) don't hate me for this, but I was kind of disappointed in it. I really liked the demo, but I found that there were a lot of issues with the final product. I hated the games that required gyro controls, for one, and I felt that the difficulty didn't scale too well for me. Some of the games were way too easy, some were way too hard (like that Samba de Amigo one off the top of my head), and there weren't too many that hit that sweet spot in the middle. The ranking system was kind of bunk too. I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but say you do really well on a game but mess up near the end and get a C rank. You do it again later and get an A rank, but the score ends up being worse than the C rank. The game doesn't supersede the C rank because the overall score is higher. I found that incredibly annoying.

There were a lot of cool things though. I liked the sound puzzles where you had to put the sheet music together and where you had to parse the correct notes together. I wish there had been more of those. The presentation was pretty cool, particularly the 3D cutscenes. I really liked the concept, and it's not an awful game by any means, I just didn't think it was a great one either. It was disappointing for me, because I had really been looking forward to it after the demo too. It kind of sucks that there won't be a sequel since they probably could've really improved upon the first game. C'est la vie, I suppose.

donny2112

I have Rhythm Thief actually :) don't hate me for this, but I was kind of disappointed in it. I really liked the demo, but I found that there were a lot of issues with the final product. I hated the games that required gyro controls, for one, and I felt that the difficulty didn't scale too well for me. Some of the games were way too easy, some were way too hard (like that Samba de Amigo one off the top of my head), and there weren't too many that hit that sweet spot in the middle. The ranking system was kind of bunk too. I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but say you do really well on a game but mess up near the end and get a C rank. You do it again later and get an A rank, but the score ends up being worse than the C rank. The game doesn't supersede the C rank because the overall score is higher. I found that incredibly annoying.

There were a lot of cool things though. I liked the sound puzzles where you had to put the sheet music together and where you had to parse the correct notes together. I wish there had been more of those. The presentation was pretty cool, particularly the 3D cutscenes. I really liked the concept, and it's not an awful game by any means, I just didn't think it was a great one either. It was disappointing for me, because I had really been looking forward to it after the demo too. It kind of sucks that there won't be a sequel since they probably could've really improved upon the first game. C'est la vie, I suppose.

I tack my hat onto this peg, too. Rhythm Thief had the same issues for me. Love the demo (presupposes an Elite Beat Agents type game) but didn't like the gyro stuff, at all. Didn't bother going for top scores due to the wacky issues with scoring, too. Comparing it to Professor Layton in style (outside the rhythm stuff) seems very apt. :)

Dee Dee

Hello, I came for the sales, and stayed for the game talk.

I might be playing Ace Attorney Investigations II. But it never came out outside of Japan. So I might not be playing it. You decide.

I might hypothetically like it a lot more than the first one, which I did play. Who knows though. Except for Larry Butz. I will never, even hypthetically not hate Larry Butz.

I was really hoping Capcom would just go ahead and localize the game after they actually went and re-released the IOS port of the first Ace Attorney trilogy on 3DS. I had given up hope for Layton vs. AA at one point too, and then it just showed up. Believe. Will buy at full price. Twice.

I really need to finish the Last Story and Cave Story, both of which I abandonend after a few hours, because of lack of time.
In Cave Story I am stuck on a weird tank that I don't know how to get past. I went into the game blind and was pleasantly surprised, and I think I did kinda okay until I got stuck at the tank.
For Last Story I just want to sit down with a lot of time to take it in in big chunks, but that never happens. I bought it before the multiplayer servers went down, and I played it during the last days of that to get some of the multiplayer weapons. Unfortunately these weapons are completely OP to start the game with, so I am afraid I am blasting through the boss battles at an unhealthy speed while playing. I hear the game is not that long,, so maybe I can actually finish it this year.

My goal is to finish 15 games in 2015. That is quite a challenge already, as I am not usually someone to finish games. I will just count seeing the ending credits for this. (I hear Cave Story has a New Game +... oh dear.)

Should I get through Last Story and Cave Story, the next projects are Layton vs AA, Fantasy Life and unlocking all the characters in Smash.

also

Banned
Was Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth delisted in Europe? I went to the shop channel ->WiiWare and neither searching by tittle (castlevania, rebirth, adventure) nor by publisher (KONAMI) brought up the game. I checked the VC section and couldn't find it there either.
All parental controls are disabled.

daydream

Banned
Was Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth delisted in Europe? I went to the shop channel ->WiiWare and neither searching by tittle (castlevania, rebirth, adventure) nor by publisher (KONAMI) brought up the game. I checked the VC section and couldn't find it there either.

That would be unfortunate. Only ReBirth game I'm missing is Contra so I hope that is still up.

TheMoon

Taken a few minutes ago. Germany.
konamii8u8j.jpg

edit: how many titles does it say are in the "KONAMI" category? Should be "10."

From a commenter:

....Dang.
re: Citizens of Earth. I wonder if it is a external vs. internal storage kind of bug (as in more likely to happen in one which would explain varying experiences).

Erm, NOE are the only ones who gave a shit and localized almost all the amazing ones for us themselves^^ (Mystic Quest, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Lufia 2, Illusion of Time, Terranigma, and they even had FF VI translated at the time).
Regarding the bolded after reading an interesting Enix USA interview (warning: might make you emotional
the fact English DQVI in 1996 was closer than you could imagine
) something really struck me. Perhaps Enix were also not the only people thinking "16 bit is dead, 32 bit for life" as in NOA were also thinking that, but in Europe NOE had a little problem. They knew they were not getting the N64 in 1996 so needed to keep engaging and exciting products on the shelf hence those localisations occurred. Maybe they always wanted to bring over more but had very little manpower but the void introduced by the N64 launch in America gave them some time.

But that just a theory. I also wonder if for some of those performances of the "prequels" had an influence on what was bought over.

As for FFVI, playing the US one at 50Hz has various glitches including the ending crashing (I can only think the music going out of sync with the action confuses the game at some point, to stop that would probably be more work than they were prepared to do for localisations back then).

Ah yes that one. Thankfully that is a side mission. Speaking of which I dropped the game at the point you can access the second one (
The Rub Rabbits theme...ah now theres a forgotten SEGA game
) as I was determined to get through it but yeah, it is seriously hard. I should probably just ignore it and continue the game which just has me laughing every single time the dubbed dialogue and subtitles are different.

I also have about 30 challengers (assuming it doesn't delete any) in the streetpass world.

It sounds like SEGA did make the ranking a bit easier on the iOS version but it also made a lot of really baffling changes to the whole game structure. At least going by what reviews say:
http://www.gamezebo.com/2014/01/21/rhythm-thief-paris-caper-review/
http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/rhythm-thief-and-the-paris-caper-review/#null
It also sounds like the Layton sections of the game are basically gone (so kind of like a reverse of 999).

also

Banned
Taken a few minutes ago. Germany.

edit: how many titles does it say are in the "KONAMI" category? Should be "10."

It says 7. I did some more googling and apparently the ReBirth series was never released in Italy. Good thing I have a spare UK NNID

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Ah yes that one. Thankfully that is a side mission. Speaking of which I dropped the game at the point you can access the second one (
The Rub Rabbits theme...ah now theres a forgotten SEGA game
) as I was determined to get through it but yeah, it is seriously hard. I should probably just ignore it and continue the game which just has me laughing every single time the dubbed dialogue and subtitles are different.

I also have about 30 challengers (assuming it doesn't delete any) in the streetpass world.

It sounds like SEGA did make the ranking a bit easier on the iOS version but it also made a lot of really baffling changes to the whole game structure. At least going by what reviews say:
http://www.gamezebo.com/2014/01/21/rhythm-thief-paris-caper-review/
http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/rhythm-thief-and-the-paris-caper-review/#null
It also sounds like the Layton sections of the game are basically gone (so kind of like a reverse of 999).

Interesting, I didn't even know they made an iOS version. Wonder how that did.

Chrom

Weng

Checked my copy, yep just the pad and Pro. I'd recommend investing in a pro pad anyway, it's a fantastic Controller and my default choice for a lot of my single player games. :)
Thanks for checking. I bought the game and will probably get a Pro in the near future^^

terrisus

Apparently Ninja Pig Studios (Meme Run, IQ Test) is in deep trouble. They are accused of stealing graphics of their next game, Jumpy Cat.

The group behind "Meme Run" is accused of stealing graphics?
I am shocked.
Shocked.

Seriously, why would you even need to do that for graphics that simple/bad?

maxcriden

I'm making the slowest process possible in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.I would be farther along, but getting ready for a trip. Looking forward to Punch out , Gunman Clive, Kirby and MM. So much games near the same time.

Oh man, I'm so psyched for Kirby. Adored Canvas Curse when I played it for the first time a year ago and can't wait for the new one.

Chipping away at Hyrule Warriors still.

You're addicted. ;)

YEAH!

We paid 70 dollars for videogames and liked it!

No need to torture me with the featured game there Dok....

I'm playing through Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Kirby's Dream Land 3 -'.'- for the first time. I think I'm about halfway through each. Never had a Wii and somehow missed out on Kirby as a kid. I've been having a great time with each of them. On my 3DS, I'm on my last case of the first Ace Attorney. Also a first timer. It's been a pretty great couple of weeks of games. I might be spoiled.

Wow, two great games there. DL3 is so under-appreciated. I love the pastel style immensely, and the Animal Buddies are a delight.

tumblr_m85zv0skyN1qhnz7po1_500.gif

Desperately trying to complete the deluge of games bought at the end of DDP era before their post-play surveys go up. Guess we won't have to worry about post-play suveys expiring too fast anymore! :D
:(
Just finished Armillo last night. Liked the special world. ;)

I need to play more Armillo. I really like that game quite a bit. Very enchanting to play.

I'm tempted to download Super Mario Galaxy 2 even though I already have the disc sitting right in front of me. I'm part of the problem. :(

Thanks for the reminder! I need to go download it since today's the last day of the sale. I'm selling my boxed copy.

It's so tempting! However, I don't own Punch-Out or MPT, so I'm saving my cash for them.

Currently playing:
Wii U - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
(3)DS - Last Window

How far along are you in TF, and how are you liking it?

Demon's Crest (DOTY) and Mushroom Men beaten recently. :p

Demon of the Year? ;) I have Mushroom Men in my backlog. How was it?

I started MH3U and currently finishing up my run of LoZ: Minish Cap.

How's Minish Cap for you? First time playing it?

Oh man, I'm so psyched for Kirby. Adored Canvas Curse when I played it for the first time a year ago and can't wait for the new one.

You're addicted. ;)

No need to torture me with the featured game there Dok....

Wow, two great games there. DL3 is so under-appreciated. I love the pastel style immensely, and the Animal Buddies are a delight.

tumblr_m85zv0skyN1qhnz7po1_500.gif

I need to play more Armillo. I really like that game quite a bit. Very enchanting to play.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to go download it since today's the last day of the sale. I'm selling my boxed copy.

Demon of the Year? ;) I have Mushroom Men in my backlog. How was it?

How's Minish Cap for you? First time playing it?

Minish Cap is surprisingly clever with how much is hidden in the relatively small map. Using the Keystone system allowed the devs to hide items.

I have The 4 elements. Right now I'm just trying to get everything else, including the hidden heart pieces, before facing Vaati.

if I do the Hyrule dungeon , is it a point of no return?

maxcriden

Via GoNintendo:

AmiiboKirbyFront1.jpg

Free Kirby Amiibo if you buy RC. Someone may want to make a thread.

Minish Cap is surprisingly clever with how much is hidden in the relatively small map. Using the Keystone system allowed the devs to hide items.

I have The 4 elements. Right now I'm just trying to get everything else, including the hidden heart pieces, before facing Vaati.

if I do the Hyrule dungeon , is it a point of no return?

I don't remember, sorry, it's been a long time. I tried Googling but didn't find a clear answer so I don't want to mislead you.

Did you get all the Kinstones? I want to say I found 99 and could never find the 100th. ;__;

tebunker

Banned
Via GoNintendo:

AmiiboKirbyFront1.jpg

I don't remember, sorry, it's been a long time. I tried Googling but didn't find a clear answer so I don't want to mislead you.

Did you get all the Kinstones? I want to say I found 99 and could never find the 100th. ;__;

Gosh darn it I wanted to go digital with this, but I would pay the TRU premium for the amiibo

maxcriden

Hm if I were to get an amiibo Kirby would be one of the few ones I would pick up. I still hate amiibos , but I think about this offer.

Haha I had the exact same thought. Then I realized it's just a piece of plastic and I don't need more *stuff* really. Plus I already paid most of the game off at GS.

Haha I had the exact same thought. Then I realized it's just a piece of plastic and I don't need more *stuff* really. Plus I already paid most of the game off at GS.

Yeah, I'm not really into figures Kirby is adorable though. Is it listed $40 at Gamestop, because I been waiting for Amazon to price theirs at that price point. Last I heard it was suppose to be a budget release unless something changed. It's just I have credit at Amazon already and would prefer to use that, but if it's listed more there then no I'm not doing that. lol

maxcriden

Yeah, I'm not really into figures Kirby is adorable though. Is it listed $40 at Gamestop, because I been waiting for Amazon to price theirs at that price point. Last I heard it was suppose to be a budget release unless something changed. It's just I have credit at Amazon already and would prefer to use that, but if it's listed more there then no I'm not doing that. lol

It's supposed to be $40. Not sure if everyone's updated yet.

....Okay, checked Amazon. Still $60. Can't even find it on TRU's site.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Via GoNintendo:

AmiiboKirbyFront1.jpg

I posted it in the Amiibo Community Thread. I kind of hope Nintendo does more of these bundles or deals. I'd love to get the Captain Toad one with the Toad amiibo, but that seems to be Japan only at the moment.

maxcriden

Well thanks Max, guess I'm waiting on Amazon to change still. It's getting close though, they need to pick it up . :x

That is odd. GS still has it at $60 too. How obscene would it be if it was $40 as a download or $60 retail? Wow. I would for sure cancel my GS preorder and use that for something else.

Zeeman

I'm making my way through slowly so far, just a couple of levels at a time. Still in the first world (have one more secret exit to find) and absolutely loving it. Cranky Kong is a beast.

e: Load times are a pain in the ass though

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real neat thing about Wii games on Wii U digitally is that they might right wrongs and bring over Disaster and Trace Memory Wii.

maxcriden

I'm making my way through slowly so far, just a couple of levels at a time. Still in the first world (have one more secret exit to find) and absolutely loving it. Cranky Kong is a beast.

e: Load times are a pain in the ass though

Glad you're enjoying it! A load time tip--the first level you load in a play session will take longer than subsequent level loads.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'd have to think about ranking it in relation to the others, but my two favorites are probably Curious Village and Unwound Future in no particular order. I liked it overall, but I'm mostly glad that it came out/I played it later because back when I played Miracle Mask I was pretty burnt out on the Layton gameplay (which is probably my own fault). One thing I really liked was how you could travel around to the different areas, it was fun finding puzzles and new conversations based on the newspaper stories. I guess I'd say it's the third best for me (unless we're also counting Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, which I really, really liked), since I do think it was better than the other two of the prequel trilogy, and Diabolical Box is my least favorite. But I also haven't played any of the previous ones since their release, so :p I really love the characters and the universe though, so it was kind of bittersweet finishing.

Nice. Interesting that Curious Village is your other fave, it's probably my least fave (I can't hate on Diabolical Box as I love train themes in game, probably a reason I love Zelda Spirit Tracks so much even though no one else seems to). I think the 2nd trilogy that contains Azran is stronger and more cohesive overall.

I'm working my way through Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney right now! I have all the Ace Attorneys sitting here waiting for my first playthrough but I couldn't wait to start Vs. even if it does end up spoiling some things from AA (I have all but Investigations 2 of course, that never came here).

Aaaaaand I know EXACTLY what rhythm game you are referring to in RT. Never passed it myself, I don't see it being possible by human hands. Thankfully it's just side content.

Via GoNintendo:

AmiiboKirbyFront1.jpg

Eek! I hope this offer is available in Canada too :( I said I wasn't gonna get into amiibos, but I did get Kirby cuz he's my main in Smash and I love him. Turned out his face was lopsided, one of his eyes looked like it was gonna escape his head so I returned it. If I can get one free I'll bite.

So excited for this new Kirby. Canvas Curse is the one Kirby I missed out on. Still kicking myself for not picking it up @ Zellers before they went out of business.

Top Bottom