• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

I kinda wish the eshop would update more than once a week, but I can see why they would be against that. I also love what they are doing with the Wii games , having them half off for their first week of release. Why can't we spread that to other systems? I know I would end up picking more games that way. Hopefully that picks up and sticks, but I doubt it. :(

GulAtiCa

Keep in mind, Thursday is just the main day. Sales & new games can be activated at any point. But Thursday is the main known day, so it gets the most traffic.

Honestly, releasing between Monday and Wednesday is a dumb idea, cause those are the low point for sales. So a dev looking to not get burred would rather release on a Thursday else they never get nay attention.

SerTapTap

Once a week is fine. Steam updates constantly. Do I check steam? Hell no. Though steam also gets so much content it's hard to surface it properly no matter what. But still, I appreciate having a single day of the week to check for new stuff, and a max of 6 days between desired release and regular release date isn't bad at all. (what makes less sense is games releasing on different reasons on different days when that happens)

Refyref

Once a week is fine. Steam updates constantly. Do I check steam? Hell no. Though steam also gets so much content it's hard to surface it properly no matter what. But still, I appreciate having a single day of the week to check for new stuff, and a max of 6 days between desired release and regular release date isn't bad at all. (what makes less sense is games releasing on different reasons on different days when that happens)

Yup. I like going to eShop on Thursday evening or PSN on Tuesday evening just to see what's new or interesting. By having a main day for the updates, it's easier for me to keep track of them.

We have been some recent attempts at tiered pricing. GB and NES VC games on the 3DS for example. You even see entries of in the same franchise are different tiers, e.g. Castlevania II and Ninja Gaiden 3 are cheaper than the rest (£3.59/€4 vs £4.49/€5...of course on Wii U side the grandfathered Wii Shop Channel prices of £3.49 beats both) although to be perfectly honest the €4 tier is not a big enough step (its a good start) and isn't used nearly enough and I don't think this carried over to Wii U.

Chrom

I've been on the fence since last week, but I finally caved and bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 off the Wii U eShop, despite still owning the disc and having completed it years ago with no intention to replay it anytime soon. No regrets here. I'm looking forward to the other Wii games they're planning to release, especially the ones I missed out on initially.

Could someone remind me of everything known to be in the pipeline thus far? I haven't kept good track of which games are being released in which regions and when.

BooJoh

I kinda wish the eshop would update more than once a week, but I can see why they would be against that. I also love what they are doing with the Wii games , having them half off for their first week of release. Why can't we spread that to other systems? I know I would end up picking more games that way. Hopefully that picks up and sticks, but I doubt it. :(

Isn't that just for the first three releases to promote the addition of Wii games to the eShop?

Chrom

Isn't that just for the first three releases to promote the addition of Wii games to the eShop?

I might be mistaken, but it was always my understanding that the special introductory sale would apply to every Wii game they release, not just the specified three.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I've been on the fence since last week, but I finally caved and bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 off the Wii U eShop, despite still owning the disc and having completed it years ago with no intention to replay it anytime soon. No regrets here. I'm looking forward to the other Wii games they're planning to release, especially the ones I missed out on initially.

Could someone remind me of everything known to be in the pipeline thus far? I haven't kept good track of which games are being released in which regions and when.

NA is getting Punch-Out this week, Metroid Prime Trilogy next week. I believe Europe is getting Donkey Kong Country returns this week, and Metroid Prime Trilogy next week as well.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii, Punch-Out, Pandora's Tower, and Sin and Punishment Star Successor were all shown for Europe as well with no dates. Unsure what was shown for Japan.

NA is getting Punch-Out this week, Metroid Prime Trilogy next week. I believe Europe is getting Donkey Kong Country returns this week, and Metroid Prime Trilogy next week as well.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii, Punch-Out, Pandora's Tower, and Sin and Punishment Star Successor were all shown for Europe as well with no dates. Unsure what was shown for Japan.
Japan already has SMG2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns and is getting Kirby next week
Japan is getting Punch-Out, Pandora's Tower, Sin & Punishment 2 and Zangeki no Reginleiv in Feb.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, Pandora's Tower was shown? I might grab that since I wanted to complete the Operation Rainfall Trilogy, but never got around to it since I haven't even started The Last Story.

I still have my copy of S&P Star Successor & even the pre-order poster on my wall. Heck, I freakin' saved the special Wii Shop Channel $5 card that came with it as well.

I must say, at the very least, they're starting off Wii Downloads with some great titles. Now hopefully 3rd party companies will re-release their Wii games as well.

Forgot Zangeki no Reginleiv existed until I got the trophy for a character from that game in SSB Wii U.

Chrom

Japan already has SMG2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns and is getting Kirby next week
Japan is getting Punch-Out, Pandora's Tower, Sin & Punishment 2 and Zangeki no Reginleiv in Feb.

Thanks for the answers, you two. I initially believed that we were getting Punch-Out this week in NA, but I somehow convinced myself yesterday that it'd be Donkey Kong Country Returns instead, haha. The clarification's appreciated.

maxcriden

I might be mistaken, but it was always my understanding that the special introductory sale would apply to every Wii game they release, not just the specified three.

That'd be awesome, but I *think* all we know from the Direct is that the first three weeks will have the sale. I'll have to consult the PR, though.

BooJoh

The wording in the PR isn't clear if they're talking about all Wii games or just the three announced, but here's the slide from the NA Direct:

taV9EG4.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just figured it was those specific games, especially since Nintendo considers them part of that Throwback Sale.

Yeah it is, I think they should continue that same concept and expand it to other systems. I know they won't though. I know for sure I wouldn't pick up Punch Out tomorrow if it was $20, but for $10 hell yeah I would. Hell I'm even thinking of picking up MPT just because it's $10 when it comes on the shop next week.( Personally I don't like the Prime series, but for ten bucks it seems crazy not to!) I think its nice for once to reward the early adopters and it can give some games a nice boost in word of mouth and sales if there was a special buyer's price for the first week of its release. Plus it could bring in more people to check the shop every week asides from people like us.

BooJoh

Yeah it is, I think they should continue that same concept and expand it to other systems. I know they won't though. I know for sure I wouldn't pick up Punch Out tomorrow if it was $20, but for $10 hell yeah I would. Hell I'm even thinking of picking up MPT just because it's $10 when it comes on the shop next week.( Personally I don't like the Prime series, but for ten bucks it seems crazy not to!) I think its nice for once to reward the early adopters and it can give some games a nice boost in word of mouth and sales if there was a special buyer's price for the first week of its release. Plus it could bring in more people to check the shop every week asides from people like us.

I feel the same about MPT, I'm not crazy about the games from playing the first one, but at $10 it's really tempting. I'd happily pay the $20 for PunchOut if there weren't a sale though. I didn't end up getting it when it was in print and even the Selects version can be $50+ now.

maxcriden

From the EU Press:

· Wii Games Coming to Wii U a download software: Starting today, players will be able to download Wii games directly to their Wii U HOME Menu via Nintendo eShop for Wii U – no need to access Wii Mode. The first game that is available - released today - is Super Mario Galaxy 2. The future lineup of Wii games coming to Nintendo eShop on Wii U includes Donkey Kong Country Returns (22nd January) and Metroid Prime Trilogy (29th January). Other upcoming titles are Kirby’s Adventure Wii, Pandora’s Tower, Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies and Punch-Out!!. The Wii U GamePad can be used to control many Wii games that were compatible with the Wii Classic Controller. Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Prime Trilogy will be on sale for a special price of €9,99 / £8.99 during their first week of availability. After the first week, these games will be available for €19,99 / £17.99 each.

NA press:

Wii Games Coming to Wii U: Starting today, players can purchase and download Wii games directly to their Wii U HOME Menus via the Nintendo eShop on Wii U – no need to access Wii Mode. The first game that is now available is Super Mario Galaxy 2. The future lineup includes Punch-Out!! (Jan. 22) and Metroid Prime: Trilogy(Jan. 29). The Wii U GamePad can be used to control Wii games that were compatible with the Wii Classic Controller. The games will be on sale for an introductory price of $9.99 each during their first week of availability, and $19.99 after.

So it's a bit unclear, but it hints the games *could* be half price after the first three.

--

Hey, first Hakoboi (new HAL puzzler) review already!

http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=3569

9/10!

Hope we see this in the West soon!

Punch out is so good man. I use to stop by at my friend's to play the thing. We played the hell out of it. I never bought it for that reason, but since my friend moved I been dying to play it.I just can't justify $20 on a download of something I already played before. I hyped for tomorrow , going play it nearly all day.

daydream

Banned
Own all of those already except for DKCR (I consider the 3DS one the definitive version). Pretty good selection, though.

I realise most of my requests were very unrealistic but I really don't see what is preventing them from releasing Excitebots digitally. ;-;

tebunker

Banned
Punch out is so good man. I use to stop by at my friend's to play the thing. We played the hell out of it. I never bought it for that reason, but since my friend moved I been dying to play it.I just can't justify $20 on a download of something I already played before. I hyped for tomorrow , going play it nearly all day.

I loved the game, but I am passing, mainly because I watched a dude on YT make through to
DK
without being knocked down, in roughly 40 minutes of play, and well that was enough to fill my Punchout! needs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still have the posters from when GameStop did that Punch-Out contest....because I was the only one that showed up. Also got a t-shirt and bumper sticker.

Has Mario Party 10's price been discussed? It seems it will be $50.

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-party-10-to-be-priced-at-50/

Nintendo continues their different prices. Captain Toad and Kirby at $40, and Donkey Kong and Mario Party at $50 (along with stuff like NES Remix, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, and Wii Party U being different prices). I predict Mario Maker being $40, and maybe being $50 if it comes with a lot of pre-made levels. I bet Star Fox will also be a budget title. If Splatoon is priced lower than $60, it is possible it could actually become a hit.

69wpm

From the EU Press: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Prime Trilogy will be on sale for a special price of €9,99 / £8.99 during their first week of availability.

If I understand this correctly, only those 3 games will be reduced for the first week? The others might be 20€ from the start.

Well, I finally made a NNID for my 3DS and locked myself to the German store for good. I hope that wasn't a big mistake.

Unrelated question: Can I (who only has a 3DS) add someone who only has a Wii U to my friends and interact with him in some way? Or is it system based?

Oregano

Well, I finally made a NNID for my 3DS and locked myself to the German store for good. I hope that wasn't a big mistake.

Unrelated question: Can I (who only has a 3DS) add someone who only has a Wii U to my friends and interact with him in some way? Or is it system based?

It's system based(for now) because the 3DS wasn't made with the NNID in mind. You could follow them on Miiverse and communicate that way but Miiverse friend requests and direct messaging are unfortunately Wii U exclusive for now.

It's system based(for now) because the 3DS wasn't made with the NNID in mind. You could follow them on Miiverse and communicate that way but Miiverse friend requests and direct messaging are unfortunately Wii U exclusive for now.

awww, too bad. Thanks for the info.

TheMoon

Miyamoto said Star Fox will be episodic, so I'd expect it to be similar to TellTale's games with a retail release down the line .

No he never said that. My god, this is the new "monolith 3DS game!!!" ... He said the game is structured like TV episodes. The missions are made like episodes of a TV show.

L~A

North America:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Punch-Out!! - Did you miss out on the Punch-Out!! game when it launched for the Wii console? Now you can download it in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U! Little Mac is back and ready to slug his way through some of the most outlandish boxers for a chance to win the Championship Belt. Hook, jab and swing through a hilarious cast of opponents in this modern update of the classic Punch-Out!! Also, get Punch-Out!! for 50 percent off (reduced from $19.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 29.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Citizens of Earth - Get Citizens of Earth in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS each for the introductory price of $11.99. Recruit the yoga instructor, the cop, your mom and all the other citizens to join your party and fight your battles.

Virtual Console on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
S.C.A.T. - Alien invaders have landed on Earth and seek to conquer it. In response, Earth has sent soldiers from the Special Cybernetic Attack Team (S.C.A.T.) to meet them on the battlefield. Play solo or with a friend as you battle through five stages of enemies and bosses in the name of saving humanity from total annihilation. S.C.A.T. is now available in the Nintendo eShop on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.
Nintendo eShop Sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
It's week two of the Throwback Sale! Save up to 50 percent on select games of past and current Nintendo console generations. This week's sale starts at 9 a.m. PT on Jan. 22 and ends at 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 29.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Only one week left to take advantage of deals on hit indie games with the Super Indie Connection Sale #2. Now through 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 29, fans who already own any participating games or purchase one at full price during this promotion will receive 60 percent off other participating games.
Super Toy Cars is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 29.
Darts Up is 40 percent off (reduced from $2.49 to $1.49) until 8:59am PT on Feb. 19.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Retro City Rampage DX is 30 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $6.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 29.
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival is on sale (reduced from $19.99 to $12.99) from Jan. 24 through 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 6.

Also new this week:
Breezeblox (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Midnight (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Undead Storm Nightmare - Full and Demo Versions (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm guessing both the NES & SNES Punch-Out will be on sale to coincide with Punch-Out Wii. Not sure what else they could put on sale that'd be related to it, but then again, last week had both Pushmo games on sale & that wasn't really related to Mario.

SerTapTap

Isn't Kirby and the Rainbow Curse explicitly a $40 title? I want to preorder it at Best Buy for GCU but they keep showing it as $60

Has Mario Party 10's price been discussed? It seems it will be $50.

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-party-10-to-be-priced-at-50/

Nintendo continues their different prices. Captain Toad and Kirby at $40, and Donkey Kong and Mario Party at $50 (along with stuff like NES Remix, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, and Wii Party U being different prices). I predict Mario Maker being $40, and maybe being $50 if it comes with a lot of pre-made levels. I bet Star Fox will also be a budget title. If Splatoon is priced lower than $60, it is possible it could actually become a hit.

I like their willingness to be (slightly) flexible on prices, I remember ACNL was $5 cheaper at launch I think, and Kirby's price is great if it's $40. A lower priced splatoon would help a lot since it's a multiplayer game and will probably live or die by it's community.

Boogiepop

A reminder to anyone who may not know and gets curious: the Yugioh game is insanely butchered with NO multiplayer and hilariously massive amounts of cut content. Don't give it money, even at a reduced price!

terrisus

Everyone buy Citizens of Earth!

Absolutely spectacular game.
Made by some great people as well.

This is the kind of game that deserves full support, and that we should want to see more of.

tolkir

Everyone buy Citizens of Earth!

Absolutely spectacular game.
Made by some great people as well.

This is the kind of game that deserves full support, and that we should want to see more of.

Sorry, I'm not going to buy it
because I already bought it :)

Top Bottom