• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

Man God

Non-Canon Member
azaLehr.gif

I would buy Another Code R on Day One

I own them both. Disaster is the real treat.

Chrom

Couldn't Super Scope games on the SNES theoretically be possible to release on Wii U Virtual Console if they're capable of emulating the controls of NES Zapper games? Would be neat to see the likes of Yoshi's Safari again.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice. Interesting that Curious Village is your other fave, it's probably my least fave (I can't hate on Diabolical Box as I love train themes in game, probably a reason I love Zelda Spirit Tracks so much even though no one else seems to). I think the 2nd trilogy that contains Azran is stronger and more cohesive overall.

I'm working my way through Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney right now! I have all the Ace Attorneys sitting here waiting for my first playthrough but I couldn't wait to start Vs. even if it does end up spoiling some things from AA (I have all but Investigations 2 of course, that never came here).

Aaaaaand I know EXACTLY what rhythm game you are referring to in RT. Never passed it myself, I don't see it being possible by human hands. Thankfully it's just side content.

Oh man, you're in for a treat with the Ace Attorney games. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright doesn't really spoil anything for the Ace Attorney series if I remember correctly, just that Maya is Phoenix's assistant. Get on those :p

True, but that was just one example off the top of my head. There definitely needed to be better difficulty scaling in general, but oh well.

terrisus

Couldn't Super Scope games on the SNES theoretically be possible to release on Wii U Virtual Console if they're capable of emulating the controls of NES Zapper games? Would be neat to see the likes of Yoshi's Safari again.

I would love that.

The games in Super Scope 6 are amazing, and Yoshi's Safari is great too
But, the whole setup is such a pain to get together and arrange.

omg_mjd

Guys, what games are you even playing these days? I feel like the game talk has really dried up of late ;__;

Lately been playing Shantae (GBC VC) so I can play Risky's Revenge (Steam) then Pirate's Curse (3DS). It's taking a lot of willpower to not just play Pirate's Curse first since I started it up as soon as I got it and it looked freaking gorgeous.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Intergrow has once again tweeted about a 3DS port of Shantae: Risky's Revenge, just to say they're not allowed to talk about it until WF gives them the nod, basically. I suspect we'll be getting an official (international) announcement soon.

Kirby Adventure Wii is the Japanese name of Kirby's Return to Dream Land, so I'd say it is!
That is also its European name. At least it isn't Fun Pack (Super Star...Super Star Ultra is Super Star Ultra here though), Ghost Trap (Avalanche), Mouse Attack (Squeak Squad) or Power Paintbrush (Canvas Curse).

Japan gets Kirby's Return to Dream Land this week instead of Punch-Out.
Now I'm envious as a European. I feel we were slightly robbed by getting DKC (&SM2) because those were a Nintendo Selects titles over here while Kirby vanished off the face of the earth 5 days after release. €10 for Kirby is yes nop question but €20 for a discless copy leaves me pausing.

maxcriden

Guess I could mention it here, but Scram Kitty is no longer Wii U exclusive, as it's making the jump to PS4 & Vita as "Scram Kitty DX", which a new Challenge Mode & leaderboards.

*waits for maxcriden's reaction* Personally, the level structure of the game would feel great on a handheld. Kind of surprised there was no 3DS version. I imagine they could've handled the 3D effects rather well.

Oh, no, I think it's great. I'm all in favor of SKAHBOR reaching as many gamers as possible. I would like new content to come to the Wii U version as well, but that's because I want more of the game.

TheMoon

That is also its European name. At least it isn't Fun Pack (Super Star...Super Star Ultra is Super Star Ultra here though), Ghost Trap (Avalanche), Mouse Attack (Squeak Squad) or Power Paintbrush (Canvas Curse).

Now I'm envious as a European. I feel we were slightly robbed by getting DKC (&SM2) because those were a Nintendo Selects titles over here while Kirby vanished off the face of the earth 5 days after release. €10 for Kirby is yes nop question but €20 for a discless copy leaves me pausing.

20 is still cheaper than what you'd have to pay for a used one these days. :/

Sadly I was ignorant and didn't but it when it came out. Of course Epic Yarn, the one I did buy day-1 can be had for next to nothing now...

TheMoon

sörine;148457084 said:
I really hope they get Virtual Console right next gen. Improve filtering/imaging options, cross-buy, cloud/cross-saves, greater price flexibility, bring back the 3rd parties and loosen that spigot on the drip feed a bit.

if their CN replacement is some form of subscription program (or even if it's still free), I wouldn't be shocked that cross-buy would be a thing if you are participating at a certain level. Would be a great way to entice signing up and still profit off of the double dippers who don't care enough.

SerTapTap

Kirby name localizations are complex to say the least. Rainbow Curse is Touch! Kirby Super Rainbow in Japan. I'm not a huge fan of Angry Kirby (though I affectionately call my angry kirby figure "American Kirby") but the US does seem to get the best names IMO, might just be nostalgia. But Canvas Curse, Super Star and Squeak Squad are pretty good names. Rainbow Curse doesn't work as well (isn't the rainbow helping not attacking?) but I get the intent.

Hopefully we get Kirby here too. If it's $10 I may just double dip. Everrryyooneee should get Kirby's Return to Dreamland, it's my favorite since Super Star. Which is the intent, it plays like Super Star but with a single linear "game", a hard mode (my most wanted feature for Super Star!) and much improved co op. Much as I enjoy Super Star co op, the Partner is very much a third wheel.

Urg, this is seriously why I don't like the eshop (both of them). I can never find stuff because crap is always moving around. I dug through "indies" and a couple other sections before noticing Shantae 3 was on the front page of the Wii U shop but not in any other section. I never casually browse it (I try to peek at new releases on Playstation...I've long since abandoned this on Steam) and can only assume I'm missing things because of it.

SerTapTap

It seems last Monday, Nintendo canceled their trademark on the "Virtual Console" name. So guess they might be calling it something else with the addition of Wii games.

Wait really? Bad move if true unless they have some great branding to replace it with...and no "classics" is not great branding. Virtual Console was always very easy to talk about and understand. And it even carries over fine for older but not exactly retro consoles like Wii/Gamecube.

tebunker

Banned
It seems last Monday, Nintendo canceled their trademark on the "Virtual Console" name. So guess they might be calling it something else with the addition of Wii games.
This wasn't in regards to digital goods but it was for paper and trade goods, so merch.

There are several threads and I believe even earlier in this thread discussing such

However it doesn't preclude then from rebranding the service/platform which I think they are in the process of doing for everything now to start distancing themselves from the Wii/WiiU era

GulAtiCa

Pegi rating received (3) and being sent off to USK today for rating. Once that is received and game is fully translated (French, German, Spanish, Italian), I can submit ZaciSa to Europe. :)

SerTapTap

There was a retweet someone posted about some dev (published by the Meme Run idiot) using stolen assets in a 3DS eshop game, anyone know what that was about? They linked to the game, but the link didn't work. Unsure if it was delisted or what. The meme run guy seems like bad news, he was arguing with them on twitter. Can't find the tweet now, was last night.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There was a retweet someone posted about some dev (published by the Meme Run idiot) using stolen assets in a 3DS eshop game, anyone know what that was about? They linked to the game, but the link didn't work. Unsure if it was delisted or what. The meme run guy seems like bad news, he was arguing with them on twitter. Can't find the tweet now, was last night.
There's one tweet shown in the Nintendo Life article.

Nairume

Banned
He did make a hilariously weak response in the comments of that Nintendo Life article.

"Abubububu it was one of the people working under me and I super trusted them not to steal resources so I didn't check and the other guy is just making shit up and and and"

sörine

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo retired the VC brand due consumer dissatisfaction with and a pervading negative outlook on the service. Not cognizant at all that the response here is entirely an issue of their own making.

SerTapTap

Anyone know how Fantasy Zone 2 is? I got the one on Wii VC, I think just Fantasy Zone, great game but very hard. I'd appreciate some sort of continue function, though I'm not sure 3D classics add things like that or not

There's one tweet shown in the Nintendo Life article.

Yeah, that's the one

sörine;148467890 said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo retired the VC brand due consumer dissatisfaction with and a pervading negative outlook on the service. Not cognizant at all that the response here is entirely an issue of their own making.

The fix isn't a rebrand, it's addressing complaints (mostly releases, also rebuying). Make a new brand with the same name and the narrative just shifts to "man this is even worse than virtual console" instead of "the virtual console got worse". Then again Nintendo's branding hasn't exactly been amazing. Coming soon: New Virtual Console, exclusive for Club New Nintendo members.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I got 3D After Burner II & it has a save-state feature like 3DS & Wii U VC titles, so I'm sure the other 3D Sega games do as well.

maxcriden

I got 3D After Burner II & it has a save-state feature like 3DS & Wii U VC titles, so I'm sure the other 3D Sega games do as well.

I can confirm this is the case with Twinbee as well. (That game's pretty addictive.)

ETA: wish it had a hard save feature, though.

GulAtiCa

He did make a hilariously weak response in the comments of that Nintendo Life article.

"Abubububu it was one of the people working under me and I super trusted them not to steal resources so I didn't check and the other guy is just making shit up and and and"

Love that Nexis Games (statusphere) is trying to get involved. Now blaming the person who Ninja Pig stole assets from. This all coming from the guy who claimed Nintendo Life raped him. lol
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...coming_wii_u_release_jumpy_cat#comment2829657

SerTapTap

Ah, that'll do I guess. I think Kirby's Adventure fixed saving for hard mode, butI 'm not actually sure. Been a long time since I played. I stopped once Nightmare in Dreamland hit wii VC

Love that Nexis Games (statusphere) is trying to get involved. Now blaming the person who Ninja Pig stole assets from. This all coming from the guy who claimed Nintendo Life raped him. lol
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...coming_wii_u_release_jumpy_cat#comment2829657

He retweeted my parody account mocking the game/nintendo for tweeting about it but went freaking nuts about that Nintendo life review

tebunker

Banned
sörine;148467890 said:
Well i think expectation levels were set with the early VC releases being so plentiful that a reset will also help reset expectations.

It needs to happen and they need to be direct about how they are going forward with the platform

also

Banned
Ah, that'll do I guess. I think Kirby's Adventure fixed saving for hard mode, butI 'm not actually sure. Been a long time since I played. I stopped once Nightmare in Dreamland hit wii VC
Kirby's Adventure 3D doesn't allow saving in hard mode. Kind of stupid since you have unlimited continues so there's no added challenge, only annoyance.

SerTapTap

Kirby's Adventure 3D doesn't allow saving in hard mode. Kind of stupid since you have unlimited continues so there's no added challenge, only annoyance.

Oh, huh, maybe I'm thinking of Nightmare in Dreamland then. But the original NES game is just like that, very annoying. It's because hard mode is an "extra game" and has no save file.

zroid

Banned
btw the discounted price of Guacamelee on Wii U has gone back to normal ta $5.99

it was erroneously $3.90 for a while. too bad if you waited. :p

Emily Rogers posted a new interview with Dan Adelman where he defended rigidly set VC pricing (he refuses to even consider the possibility games like Ice Climbers *maybe* shouldn't be priced at $5) and also doubled down on the policy he helped set in motion of drip feeding VC games. The rest of interview is also very interesting and definitely worth taking the time to read if you want detailed info on the workings of the eShop and how Kyoto politics with NCL really slow down the rest of the company's ability to progress badly.

http://www.dromble.com/2015/01/21/f...os-culture-third-party-support-and-much-more/

From what I understand, you were involved with the Wii’s Virtual Console service in the early years. In a previous interview, you mentioned how you did market research to figure out the ideal pricing policy for the Virtual Console on the Wii. 

Can you talk about how you and Nintendo of America came up with these prices? Why did you choose to price VC games with a flat-rate by console? For example, I think we can agree that not all NES games are the same quality as something like Super Mario Bros 3.

Five years from now, do you predict that it will become more difficult to sell old retro games at those current prices?  Example: Will consumers always be willing to pay $5 for Ice Climber?  

Adelman: First we got a sense from market research about what platforms people were interested in. We had pretty much every classic system on the list, and these were the ones that stood out as the heavy favorites. We also did some market research on people’s willingness to pay, and came up with these prices accordingly. There was a lot of debate about whether to charge more for Super Mario Bros. 3 as opposed to Ice Climbers, and we ultimately decided on a fixed price per platform for a couple reasons. First, it’s simpler to manage from an internal processing perspective. If each game had a separate price, there would be lots of opinions about each game, and consolidating all of that feedback would be very time consuming. Second, there was a little feeling of holding people’s childhood hostage if we priced certain games higher than others. To take an absurd example, let’s say we charged $50 for Super Mario Bros. There would be some people who really have strong nostalgia for that game who would begrudgingly pay it. But they’d probably feel cheated and exploited.

Nintendo understands its importance to a lot of people’s childhoods, so they really want to avoid undoing that goodwill. Finally, everyone has a game that, for them, was their biggest memory as a child. I remember I probably put in over 100 hours on Nobunaga’s Ambition with my brothers. For other people, that game might be Ice Climbers. I haven’t seen any research on this, but I suspect the majority of sales on Virtual Console are from people who have already played the game as a child. I’m sure there are some cases of people going back and playing games they missed, but if I had to guess, I’d say that’s around 25% of the market. The other 75% are people reliving memories.

It’s hard to say whether the old prices will stay in the long run. My gut says that demand overall is not very price sensitive. Even $10 for N64 games is not going to break the bank for anyone. I think the bigger factor is fatigue. A lot of people have scratched that nostalgia itch, so they may not feel a need to play those games again.

I read that you were a big supporter of the “drip-feed” business model for the Virtual Console.  In a Nintendo World Report podcast, you mentioned that Nintendo had the sales data to back it up.

From a business position, could you provide an argument on why the drip-feed approach was (and still currently is) the best way to release Virtual Console games?

Adelman: It’s actually not really worth debating the pros and cons, because the fact is, it’s the only way to do it. I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of work that goes into getting these Virtual Console games ready, so it’s not like Nintendo is just sitting on a bunch of games and doling them out slowly. All of that said, the drip-feed approach also had some marketing benefits. It gave people a reason to come back every week and see what was new. It also gave people some time to consider each game individually. If Nintendo were to dump 300 games on the eShop today, there might be a classic from your childhood that you had simply forgotten about and didn’t even think of sifting through all of the games to look for. If there is a small number of games each week, there’s a greater likelihood that people will notice the games and resurface their old memories.

His excuses and reasonings sound pretty stubborn and questionable to put it mildly.

So, my simple wish list for the next Nintendo console eShop structure? Make sure someone like Dan Adelman continues to work with indies since he was great in that area but make sure whoever is in charge of VC next round actually cares about turning it into a coherent, viable channel of distributing and capitalizing on Nintendo's legacy with a much more energetic, customer friendly model and doesn't view it simply as filler.

SerTapTap

I always hated the drip feed, but it wouldn't be remotely as bad if they hadn't hit the reset button once Wii U dropped (and made 3DS separate to boot). If it was drip feed but continuous they'd have a a pretty full catalog after a couple gens and could just use sales and other stuff to drive attention. But this. Ugh.

maxcriden

Thanks for posting this, Agent!

Nintendo understands its importance to a lot of people’s childhoods, so they really want to avoid undoing that goodwill. Finally, everyone has a game that, for them, was their biggest memory as a child. I remember I probably put in over 100 hours on Nobunaga’s Ambition with my brothers. For other people, that game might be Ice Climbers. I haven’t seen any research on this, but I suspect the majority of sales on Virtual Console are from people who have already played the game as a child. I’m sure there are some cases of people going back and playing games they missed, but if I had to guess, I’d say that’s around 25% of the market. The other 75% are people reliving memories.

It’s hard to say whether the old prices will stay in the long run. My gut says that demand overall is not very price sensitive. Even $10 for N64 games is not going to break the bank for anyone. I think the bigger factor is fatigue. A lot of people have scratched that nostalgia itch, so they may not feel a need to play those games again.

That does not make a lot of sense to me. For one, if he hasn't seen research, his suspicion is just that: suspicion. We have no idea if it's accurate. It could be half of VC downloads are new games for people. It also doesn't necessarily matter.

Also, $10 for N64 games is not going to break the bank. That's true. But the issue isn't always affordability, it's more about value.

Adelman: It’s actually not really worth debating the pros and cons, because the fact is, it’s the only way to do it. I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of work that goes into getting these Virtual Console games ready, so it’s not like Nintendo is just sitting on a bunch of games and doling them out slowly. All of that said, the drip-feed approach also had some marketing benefits. It gave people a reason to come back every week and see what was new. It also gave people some time to consider each game individually. If Nintendo were to dump 300 games on the eShop today, there might be a classic from your childhood that you had simply forgotten about and didn’t even think of sifting through all of the games to look for. If there is a small number of games each week, there’s a greater likelihood that people will notice the games and resurface their old memories.

I don't fully understand this either. Nobody's in favor of dropping 300 games at once on the eShop. But by the time someone picks up a Wii U today, they already have this same immense selection he's concerned about available. By and large the majority of consumers are not looking for new VC games every week anyway. They're not following weekly press releases. They didn't pick up their system on launch day so the total number of games available on the eShop to command their attention is going to be significant and overwhelming the day they got the system. Heck, I got the system in 7/2013 and there was already a ton of stuff on there. I understand his argument, I just don't fully agree. I also don't agree that it's the "only" way to do it. :-/

*exhales* And there's my two cents!

Top Bottom