• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

SerTapTap

Dunno where else to ask, has anyone replaced their Gamecube C sticks with replacement analog sticks? I found places on ebay selling extra large, grey analog sticks like the left stick, but they look too smooth to be legit (or at least feel legit). Anyone found replacements that are acceptable? I have a third party controller that I might harvest for this, but I have 2 real gamecube controllers I'd love to put proper C sticks on.

Ondore

Was anyone here crazy enough to download Persona Q or at least knows off hand what the size of it is? (NA version)

I'm doing some research to see if I'm going to need to upgrade memory cards before the end of the year because of a decision to go all-but-Pokemon digital.

maxcriden

Was anyone here crazy enough to download Persona Q or at least knows off hand what the size of it is? (NA version)

I'm doing some research to see if I'm going to need to upgrade memory cards before the end of the year because of a decision to go all-but-Pokemon digital.

JP version at least is 1.8 GB apparently.

14,203 blocks in NA according to Nintendo Life.

TheMoon

Dunno where else to ask, has anyone replaced their Gamecube C sticks with replacement analog sticks? I found places on ebay selling extra large, grey analog sticks like the left stick, but they look too smooth to be legit (or at least feel legit). Anyone found replacements that are acceptable? I have a third party controller that I might harvest for this, but I have 2 real gamecube controllers I'd love to put proper C sticks on.

This thread is where you want to go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553958

Glass Joe

And I can sympathize with your disappointment that Punch-Out Wii doesn't support the Wii U GamePad due it it not originally supporting the Classic Controller. I played through the NES and SNES Punch-Out games comfortably on my Wii U GamePad through the Wii U Virtual Console and I kind of missed using it for the Wii game. I just beat the game this afternoon with the Wii Remote style of control and thought it was a satisfactory alternative, at least.

It is such a miss... The thing is, Punch-Out Wii and Galaxy 2 look great on the gamepad screen... No so much so on my HDTV. Punch-Out would be so easy to remap if they just did it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So from what I'm hearing, those Codename Steam demo codes from GS will be active next Thursday. I wonder if they'll send some via e-mail like with SSB & MH4U.

BooJoh

So from what I'm hearing, those Codename Steam demo codes from GS will be active next Thursday. I wonder if they'll send some via e-mail like with SSB & MH4U.

That's a demo I'd really like to play. I've gotten the previous demos but they were all for games I wanted anyway. Codename Steam is one I'm really not sure of because I'm not that keen on the genres it borrows from but it looks so interesting.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finally getting around to Fire Emblem on the Wii U VC. I've had the game downloaded for a month now, but just been clearing through other stuff. Off TV play on the gamepad is sooo good for GBA games,

Also have been going through and finally uploading some of my back catalog of Wii U screenshots to my Wii U Screenshot blog.

So I want to buy Kid Icarus Uprising at this sale price, but my 3DS won't be here until Feb 13th (getting the new one, and don't have an old one). I want to buy it through Nintendo's online store and wait to use the code until then. Does that code expire, at least before mid-February? I don't want to buy it, and then find out that the download code expires next week.

TheMoon

So I want to buy Kid Icarus Uprising at this sale price, but my 3DS won't be here until Feb 13th (getting the new one, and don't have an old one). I want to buy it through Nintendo's online store and wait to use the code until then. Does that code expire, at least before mid-February? I don't want to buy it, and then find out that the download code expires next week.

Why would a download code you buy expire?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So amiibros and amiigals, what Nintendo games do you plan to play this weekend?
Either BlazBlue CSE on Vita that someone on GAF was nice enough to send me (I know, not Nintendo), or continue finishing up the final dungeon of Persona Q so I can have something to trade in towards the New 3DS XL or more amiibo. Maybe more Punch-Out as well if I have the time.

Chrom

I don't know. The rewards codes for prizes expire, and before I put money down I just wanted to be sure.

I believe that any download codes you purchase won't ever expire, so you should feel assured that you can buy it and use it at a far later date.

If the code really had an expiration date, I figure that Nintendo should be obligated to inform you of it before purchase.

Bowl0l

Last year, Nintendo has a given free select games if purchase Mario Kart 8 and register a WiiU. Is my WiiU considered registered once I login the eshop using my NNID?

VLiberty

Picross e and I'm finally getting around doing the Pullblox extra levels, which I didn't play back when I first played through the game last summer.

Next week I should find the circle pad pro in the mail, even though I don't think I have any games compatible with it lol(but I have a couple of games to buy that should be compatible, like Nano Assault, MM3D and Ironfall).
I bought it because I'm afraid it's gonna get discontinued as soon as n3DS hits. Also, I think that the n3DS might finally push devs to use it.

Am I right in thinking that:

Castlevania 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 are the best of their NES trilogies...?

I want to try both series out but my backlog won't allow for 6 games, even short NES ones.

More Punch Out and I hope to finish Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. It doesn't look like I'm going to finish even though I want to by next week. I kinda want to buy another eshop game, but it's probably unwise to right now.

I might try to continue Bravely Default, but it's just not grabbing me. It's a bit "too classic" for my tastes, the battles and Job system have no complexity yet. I'm somewhere in chapter 3.

Bowl0l

But you do know that free game promo has been over for more than half a year, right?
I know. I am curious if Nintendo will organize the same promo for another game this year. It's really too bad that logging in NNID will automatically register my WiiU.

also

Banned

I want to try both series out but my backlog won't allow for 6 games, even short NES ones.
Castlevania 3 has the partner system, branching paths, more and more varied levels so it is the better game but it's also really hard. I'd hesitate to make it the first Castlevania you play unless you don't mind frustratingly hard games.
Haven't played Castlevania 2 yet but from what I've read about it, it strays quite a bit from the classic Castlevania formula and doesn't sound like a very fun game to play.

Ninja Gaiden 1 > 3 >>2
Beating the first game felt so satisfying while I just breezed through 2 and don't really remember much of it. 3 is good too but 1 felt more memorable to me.
But again, there's the problem of frustration; 3 has limited continues so you'll probably be forced to start over a few times and 1 forces you to repeat the final 3 levels over and over until you beat the final boss. If you just want to try out the series you should probably go with 2; while it's my least favorite, it's still a pretty good game and the risk of snapping your 3DS/controller in two is greatly diminished.

terrisus

-1 to both
Castlevania 2 and Ninja Gaiden 1

And yes, I'm aware that I'm alone in my love of Castlevania 2 >.>

If you're looking for an intro to the series though, I would recommend Castlevania 1.

ohlawd

Trying to finish Assassin's Creed IV but those new Chrono Trigger tracks in Theatrhythm have other ideas.

awww shit yeah I'm supposed to be doing all the bonus episodes in Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright and go hard on Curtain Call DLC purchases but

I just don't wanna do it -_-

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the heavenly bride

Such a great game, it's probably my favourite oldschool JRPG....and it looks amazing when you play in on a 3DS XL . I think certain sprite based DS games look horrible when you play them on the 3DS in non-native mode, but DQV...

...for whatever reason....looks better than at native res.

daydream

Banned

Don't have too much time to play but I'll catch up on new Golf tournaments and hopefully get some more Hyrule Warriors in? Guess we'll see.

Kinda wanted to start MH3U but I have a hard time justifying it with the size of my "acute" backlog.

SerTapTap

So I wasn't really expecting anything of The Legend of Dark Witch from the eShop when I bought it for $2.70 on sale, but it's actually a pretty servicable mix of Mega Man and Gradius. It's an extremely Mega Man style platformer (with mostly easy platforming) with a Gradius style upgrade bar that fills from beating enemies, and also the standard "get boss skills by beating them" thing. It's not exactly revolutionary or perfect but it adds a bit of fun to the main levels and works well enough.

The game isn't very hard or very long on it's own but it has a lot of optional objectives like beat it on it's hardest mode (mostly just means harder bosses), beat bosses without taking a hit and so on that encourages multiple skillful playthroughs. It's also got upgrades; filling your Gradius bar adds permanent upgrade points you spend to upgrade your Robot Master abilities, health, life, base power. There's also special points you get for optional objectives like beating the game without dying, beating certain bosses without taking hits, those unlock assorted upgrades or optional features too.

It's clearly a budget game, pretty mediocre but not bad sprites, character art, music, but none of it is super bad either. If you've got a Mega Man itch it's fairly fun, though I'd recommend you play through Gunvolt and Mighty Gunvolt first. Also, it has amazingly good options, lets you set things like how the camera moves (I wish more SNES/genesis platformers did this!), whether jump height is fixed or based on how long you press the button, whether the Gradius upgrades are automatic or manual, 3 difficulty modes, an unlockable character, and customizable face button controls. I really wish more games did things like that

Thanks! I'll ask in there

Alright Amazon has finally put up the correct price for Kirby. Ordered it and MM, now I just wait.

Best Buy too! GCU, assemble!

Chrom

I'm not sure about this weekend, but I hope to pick Fire Emblem back up soon. I started it when it came out on Wii U last month, but it's been a few weeks since I last touched it. Other games have been occupying my attention for a while.

maxcriden

Citizens of Earth on 3DS!

You all should too! =)

Is that the one with the bugs/glitches I linked to the other day, or is that the Wii U version?

Alright Amazon has finally put up the correct price for Kirby. Ordered it and MM, now I just wait.

Nice! Hopefully GameStop fixed theirs, too. I've got like $37 down on it, didn't want to go over $40 and accidentally not get refunded if we got the budget price. Yay!

terrisus

Tell me about this game...

Their Kickstarter pitch included "Inspired by Earthbound," which I was very incredulous about, but they definitely won me over. The beginning's a bit slow as you're building up your party right away, and there are a bit too many choices for party members, so it's a bit slow going at the beginning, but once it gets going, it's great!

Is that the one with the bugs/glitches I linked to the other day, or is that the Wii U version?

That's the Wii U version. But someone mentioned the 3DS one has some minor problems, too, iirc.

Yeah, I haven't run into any yet on 3DS, seems that it's more the console versions.

It doesn't make use of 3D, if that matters one way or the other to you. I never use 3D, so that didn't matter to me.

tolkir

That's the Wii U version. But someone mentioned the 3DS one has some minor problems, too, iirc.

6 hours with Wii U Version, and 0 bugs.
I hope it continues like that

Though I am still on Chapter 2. So many sidequests to recruit people.

Top Bottom