• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

maxcriden

What kind of bug?

tumblr_lqwum0SQ2Y1qa601io1_500.gif

tumblr_n1gj491Peb1rpn9eno1_500.gif

I heard everything outside of the battles is cool, but the battles aren't that great?

I'm only maybe 2 hours in or so but the humor and straight up earthbound gameplay is keeping me happy. Battles aren't that deep but I still got a ways to go. I'll keep updating my thoughts as I get further into the game.

Castlevania 3 has the partner system, branching paths, more and more varied levels so it is the better game but it's also really hard. I'd hesitate to make it the first Castlevania you play unless you don't mind frustratingly hard games.
Haven't played Castlevania 2 yet but from what I've read about it, it strays quite a bit from the classic Castlevania formula and doesn't sound like a very fun game to play.

Ninja Gaiden 1 > 3 >>2
Beating the first game felt so satisfying while I just breezed through 2 and don't really remember much of it. 3 is good too but 1 felt more memorable to me.
But again, there's the problem of frustration; 3 has limited continues so you'll probably be forced to start over a few times and 1 forces you to repeat the final 3 levels over and over until you beat the final boss. If you just want to try out the series you should probably go with 2; while it's my least favorite, it's still a pretty good game and the risk of snapping your 3DS/controller in two is greatly diminished.

-1 to both
Castlevania 2 and Ninja Gaiden 1

And yes, I'm aware that I'm alone in my love of Castlevania 2 >.>

If you're looking for an intro to the series though, I would recommend Castlevania 1.

Hey thanks a lot for the answers guys, much appreciated :)

I ended up getting the first instalment of both, if I get on well with them I'll grab the sequels too.
Well... perhaps not Castlevania 2 (sorry terrisus) as that just sounds bad :(

Thanks for the heads up on the Castlevania 3 difficulty btw, I'm getting old(er) so I actually do mind frustratingly hard games these days!
1 definitely seems like a better way to ease me in.

Looking forward to playing!

terrisus

I ended up getting the first instalment of both, if I get on well with them I'll grab the sequels too.

It's alright, I understand, it's a very polarizing game, quite different from the other earlier entries, and not for everyone.

Choomp

Banned
I had a glitch in Citizens of Earth today too. Talking to an NPC when it froze and a loud obnoxious noise kicked in. Probably just a hiccup but I'm gonna give the game some time.

BooJoh

Thanks for the heads up on the Castlevania 3 difficulty btw, I'm getting old(er) so I actually do mind frustratingly hard games these days!

Castlevania 1 can be pretty hard too, but save states should help. If 1 is too difficult for you and you have a Wii/U, 4 might be a little better, ReBirth on WiiWare is probably the easiest of the classic-vanias (though it can still be challenging,) and if you haven't tried the Metroidvanias yet they're practically a separate series that's well worth playing and preferred by many people, with SotN or Aria of Sorrow as probably the best entry points and the best games in the series.

radcliff

In terms of western VC titles, any chance LucasArts releases the SNES Star Wars trilogy on Wii U's VC? They seem to be putting Star Wars games on Steam, and the games are already on Wii's VC, so any chance they go to Wii U?

What about the SNES versions of Earthworm Jim? The Genesis versions were available on Wii VC, so I would imagine the SNES versions can come eventually. While the Genesis version of 1 is better, I always preferred the SNES version of 2.

Mortal Kombat 1-3 SNES would seem to be out based on tweets last year from Ed Boone that put chances of this happening at 0.0%

donny2112

In terms of western VC titles, any chance LucasArts releases the SNES Star Wars trilogy on Wii U's VC? They seem to be putting Star Wars games on Steam, and the games are already on Wii's VC, so any chance they go to Wii U?

Probably depends on how the Wii versions sold to see if it makes sense to recode them to add save states and Miiverse support.

TheMoon

LucasArts? 0. That's Disney now. I'm just glad and surprised they haven't pulled anything from Wii VC. They probably don't care.

I believe that any download codes you purchase won't ever expire, so you should feel assured that you can buy it and use it at a far later date.

If the code really had an expiration date, I figure that Nintendo should be obligated to inform you of it before purchase.

Okay. I'll pick it up then. I'm excited to try Uprising! It'll be hard to wait half a month...

Ladekabel

Tried to buy SMT IV but it turns out the default memory card that comes with the 3DSXL isn't big enough for it... lol.

I have the default memory card in my 3DSXL and have enough space. Maybe you have too much other downloadable games and other stuff on your SD card?

zoukka

I have the default memory card in my 3DSXL and have enough space. Maybe you have too much other downloadable games and other stuff on your SD card?

I checked what I can delete and it wouldn't be nearly enough even if I deleted all of my downloaded games.

Tried to buy SMT IV but it turns out the default memory card that comes with the 3DSXL isn't big enough for it... lol.

The game is 1.8 GB and all XL systems come with a 4GB card afaik. Only the original 3DS came with 2GB, which wouldn't be enough. Maybe that wasn't always the case.

Ladekabel

I checked what I can delete and it wouldn't be nearly enough even if I deleted all of my downloaded games.

That seem's strange. You're sure that you don't have ~15.000 blocks free if you delete all your downloaded games? I use the 4GB card that came with the system and could download SMT IV almost twice.

Do you have pictures or other stuff on the card?

nan0

SMT4 is really great. Save everywhere is always welcome, the display of known weaknesses in a battle eliminates one of my common gripes with the series and "makes sense" with the Burroughs AI. Plus the 3D is beautiful.

also

Banned
Castlevania 1 can be pretty hard too, but save states should help. If 1 is too difficult for you and you have a Wii/U, 4 might be a little better, ReBirth on WiiWare is probably the easiest of the classic-vanias (though it can still be challenging,) and if you haven't tried the Metroidvanias yet they're practically a separate series that's well worth playing and preferred by many people, with SotN or Aria of Sorrow as probably the best entry points and the best games in the series.
Upopular oppinion time; Rondo of Blood (SNES) >>> C4
IV obviously had a bigger budget so it's longer, looks nicer, has a better atmosphere but I just don't like it that much. The overpowered whip makes the subweapons almost useless, the final battle is disappointing, and the game is still very frustrating; checkpoints are far apart, there's a lot of insta death moments (I hate those rotating platforms), and jumping on stairs is sketchy. Contrary to that, Rondo of Blood will always spawn you at the last room you died in, you'll never be killed just because you jumped and the screen scrolled up, and the controls feel soooo good. Honestly, you're probably too agile so the game is a bit on the easy side but I'd lying if I said that I didn't enjoying hopping around the stages in a Castlevania game for once. The level design is also more vertically oriented and focused on platforming. It's a shame that Rondo (SNES) is so underrated because everyone sees it as an inferior version of Rondo (PC Engine) instead of it's own game. In truth, it's my favorite 16Bit Castlevania. Yes, I like it even more than Rondo (PC Engine), though it's a close call. There's just something about the level design and the controls that hits all the right spots. I'll admit that the final battle can be very long and frustrating but the final stage is short and sweet so repeating it isn't that bad.

Aria of Sorrow is a great starting point but I wouldn't recommend Symphony of the Night because it's so pathetically easy that it's a chore to play through. Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are much better games.

As BooJoh said, C1 is no walk in the park either but still way easier than C3. There's an especially infamous section right before the boss of the 5th stage; the key is to keep moving and whipping. You'll get the rhythm down eventually. That boss is also the hardest in the game, so you'll be spending a lot of time on the 5th stage unless you cheese him.
Find the holy water, reach the boss and just as it spawns throw a bottle under him. Keep throwing bottles and he won't even be able to move.

maxcriden

Yes.

Or he did a system transfer from the OG model that comes with a 2 GB card, switched the cards following the instructions, and forgot that he'd done so.

Donny, this is a random question and completely off-topic, but does the 2112 come from the now-shuttered NYC theme restaurant Mars 2112? I went there as a child and it left quite an impression on me.

donny2112

Donny, this is a random question and completely off-topic, but does the 2112 come from the now-shuttered NYC theme restaurant Mars 2112? I went there as a child and it left quite an impression on me.

That restaurant looks cool! No, nothing that grandiose. For my first email address that I got to choose (i.e. not school given), I wanted to use <word>21, but that was taken. Therefore, used <word>2112. Love space themed places, though, so probably would've loved that restaurant!

maxcriden

That restaurant looks cool! No, nothing that grandiose. For my first email address that I got to choose (i.e. not school given), I wanted to use <word>21, but that was taken. Therefore, used <word>2112. Love space themed places, though, so probably would've loved that restaurant!

Haha, thanks for fielding that odd question. Yeah, I think you would've appreciated the campiness of it. There was even a small spaceship ride to get into the restaurant. :)

maxcriden

BeautiFun Games announced earlier this month that Nihilumbra is coming to the PlayStation Vita on January 27. But what about the Wii U version?

We asked BeautiFun about Nihilumbra&#8217;s status on Wii U, and were told that the plan is to release it this winter. While it&#8217;s still on track, the game will arrive slightly later due to an audio engine bug that needs fixing. BeautiFun is working hard with Nintendo and Unity to address the issue.

Via NintendoEverything.com. Very glad Nihilumbra is still coming to Wii U!

BooJoh

Upopular oppinion time; Rondo of Blood (SNES) >>> C4
IV obviously had a bigger budget so it's longer, looks nicer, has a better atmosphere but I just don't like it that much. The overpowered whip makes the subweapons almost useless, the final battle is disappointing, and the game is still very frustrating; checkpoints are far apart, there's a lot of insta death moments (I hate those rotating platforms), and jumping on stairs is sketchy. Contrary to that, Rondo of Blood will always spawn you at the last room you died in, you'll never be killed just because you jumped and the screen scrolled up, and the controls feel soooo good. Honestly, you're probably too agile so the game is a bit on the easy side but I'd lying if I said that I didn't enjoying hopping around the stages in a Castlevania game for once. The level design is also more vertically oriented and focused on platforming. It's a shame that Rondo (SNES) is so underrated because everyone sees it as an inferior version of Rondo (PC Engine) instead of it's own game. In truth, it's my favorite 16Bit Castlevania. Yes, I like it even more than Rondo (PC Engine), though it's a close call. There's just something about the level design and the controls that hits all the right spots. I'll admit that the final battle can be very long and frustrating but the final stage is short and sweet so repeating it isn't that bad.
I only recently got Dracula X on VC and I've enjoyed what I played so far, but I'm only a few levels in. Level 2 starts off with a downright diabolical segment with crumbling bridges and mermen though, which just seemed cruel that early in the game.

Aria of Sorrow is a great starting point but I wouldn't recommend Symphony of the Night because it's so pathetically easy that it's a chore to play through. Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are much better games.

SotN is actually one of my least favorite games in the Metroidvanias, but for the sake of being objective I include it when recommending the games anyway since it's still the favorite for a lot of people. Dawn of Sorrow is a great game but the horrible touchscreen features keep me from recommending it to newcomers (it's borderline on being an AoS remake anyway,) and while I really liked OoE, it's the only Metroidvania that I actually got stuck on because of a certain boss who requires Mega Man boss levels of precision.

also

Banned
I only recently got Dracula X on VC and I've enjoyed what I played so far, but I'm only a few levels in. Level 2 starts off with a downright diabolical segment with crumbling bridges and mermen though, which just seemed cruel that early in the game.

SotN is actually one of my least favorite games in the Metroidvanias, but for the sake of being objective I include it when recommending the games anyway since it's still the favorite for a lot of people. Dawn of Sorrow is a great game but the horrible touchscreen features keep me from recommending it to newcomers (it's borderline on being an AoS remake anyway,) and while I really liked OoE, it's the only Metroidvania that I actually got stuck on because of a certain boss who requires Mega Man boss levels of precision.

I know exactly which section you're talking about. It seemed hard at first but it's really easy as long as you don't get greedy and try to get the candles, and kill the first few mermen two at a time. I'm looking forward to your impressions once you finish the game. It is short so it shouldn't take too long... as long as you don't get stuck on the final boss.

When did you first play SotN? I first played it as part of the Dracula X Chronicles collection so I had no nostalgia whatsoever and really struggled to understand why it was praised so much.
The touch screen implementation is one of the reasons I prefer Aria's main mode over Dawn's, but Dawn does have my favorite bonus mode out of all the metroidvanias.
Yeah, OoE is probably the toughest metroidvania. Are you talking about the giant enemy crab or the shadow boss? If it was the former, you should have just hit its weak point for massive damage.
I'll show myself out.

BooJoh

I know exactly which section you're talking about. It seemed hard at first but it's really easy as long as you don't get greedy and try to get the candles, and kill the first few mermen two at a time. I'm looking forward to your impressions once you finish the game. It is short so it shouldn't take too long... as long as you don't get stuck on the final boss.

When did you first play SotN? I first played it as part of the Dracula X Chronicles collection so I had no nostalgia whatsoever and really struggled to understand why it was praised so much.
I played it a little on PSX around the time it got its Greatest Hits release, but didn't put any significant time into the game until Dracula X Chronicles, and at that point I had already played the GBA and DS games that outshine it in my eyes. I'd probably place it on par with HoD or CotM, though I never actually finished SotN.

The touch screen implementation is one of the reasons I prefer Aria's main mode over Dawn's, but Dawn does have my favorite bonus mode out of all the metroidvanias.
Yeah, OoE is probably the toughest metroidvania. Are you talking about the giant enemy crab or the shadow boss? If it was the former, you should have just hit its weak point for massive damage.
I'll show myself out.

It was actually
Albus
I got stuck on. I came close to beating him a couple times but smaller bosses always seem to give me more trouble.

Socreges

Banned
SotN has beautiful art direction and a beautiful soundtrack. That much cant be disputed. The world is also pretty fun to explore. In terms of gameplay I'd need to revisit it honestly, but I would say you're more likely to get more negative opinions on the game in a 'Nintendo Downloads' thread than anywhere else. ;P

donny2112

I would say you're more likely to get more negative opinions on the game in a 'Nintendo Downloads' thread than anywhere else. ;P

It was one of the first games I got after getting a 360. :p I enjoyed it. It shows as the earlier form of the Metroidvanias, and would say that for gameplay, Aria of Sorrow was better. That was years later, though, and shouldn't diminish the fun of SotN, at all. Very much worth playing!

Via NintendoEverything.com. Very glad Nihilumbra is still coming to Wii U!

I just hope it comes out sooner rather than later. Releasing on Sony first then Nintendo later does not typically lead to tantamount results on the Nintendo side.

Also, another Unity-based problem? Is Nintendo working on improving on these engines or the Web Framework at all?

GulAtiCa

I just hope it comes out sooner rather than later. Releasing on Sony first then Nintendo later does not typically lead to tantamount results on the Nintendo side.

Also, another Unity-based problem? Is Nintendo working on improving on these engines or the Web Framework at all?
We are getting new updates pretty regularly. So issues are being dealt with and improvements are being made. But there are some limitations with the Wii U itself that can cause issues like this. But eventually, and hopefully, they are fixed.

jholmes

Yeah, I want this game and am getting it either way but I'm sick of games coming out months earlier on PS+ for free or the App Store for 5 cents and then the devs turn around and say "I don't know why people didn't buy this on Wii U. We hate Nintendo now."

I'd guess this is audio bug is probably related to similar bugs in that audio won't come out of the GamePad. If so this should be pretty easy to solve but I'd guess they're a small team so it just takes some work. That said I am completely talking out of my ass.

BooJoh

Yeah, I want this game and am getting it either way but I'm sick of games coming out months earlier on PS+ for free or the App Store for 5 cents and then the devs turn around and say "I don't know why people didn't buy this on Wii U. We hate Nintendo now."

The PC side of things doesn't help either. I got this game for $3 during the Steam Holiday 2013 sale. I generally prefer to play most games on a handheld or console, but with these indie games that you don't know just how good they'll be, it's hard to justify waiting up to a year+ and then paying several times as much.

I've waited or double dipped a few times, but those are usually the exception to the rule.

Eldon

Do the Picross e games ever go on sale in EU? Is there one that is better than the rest or should I just start at the first one?
AFAIK none has been on sale. I would suggest to go with the first, because its doesn't have the new mechanics the sequels added, which can be hard to understand to a newbie.

L~A

Europe, yay :D

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Nintendo) - &#8364;9.99/£8.99 (Ends February 5. regular price &#8364;19.99/£17.99)
Metroid Prime Trilogy gives players the opportunity to experience the entire Metroid Prime story arc by bringing together critically acclaimed Nintendo GameCube titles Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, as well as the hit conclusion to the series, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, in spectacular style. Now you can return to - or discover for the first time - the rich universe of the Prime trilogy every step of the way. Immerse yourself in Samus' struggle against the Space Pirates as she encounters the all-consuming, corrupting substance called Phazon. Discover the history of the Chozo Ruins and the mysteries of Tallon IV, retrieve the Light of Aether and take on the might of the shape-shifting Ing, search and destroy the Leviathan Seeds and bring the curtain down on your bitter struggle with Dark Samus. Scanning your surroundings will enable you to piece together the mysteries of ravaged worlds, while using the full range of capabilities offered by Samus' armoured suit will help you to find new areas hidden from view and solve difficult puzzles as you upgrade and expand your arsenal along the way. The entire trilogy can now be controlled using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to take aim at a huge array of alien enemies and interact with the richly-detailed surroundings. Originally created for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on Wii, the intuitive pointer-based control scheme makes the process of delving into the darkest corners of the galaxy more immersive than ever. Just point your Wii Remote at the screen to aim at enemies and adjust Samus' outlook; moving and firing with ease as you battle to save the solar system, one enigmatic planet at a time.

Hyrule Warriors: Majora's Mask Pack (Nintendo, Add-on content) - &#8364;6.99/£6.29
Contents of the pack:
- A new Adventure Mode map (Termina) with six new 8-bit weapons and sixteen new mask-inspired costumes as rewards
- Two new playable characters (Young Link and Tingle)
- Three new costumes (Skull Kid's Clothes for Lana, and Era of the Hero of Time Outfits for Sheik and Impa)

Rock 'N Racing Off Road (EnjoyUp Games) - &#8364;5.99/£5.39 (&#8364;4.99/£4.49 if you downloaded Abyss, 99seconds, Unepic, Rock Zombie, 99 Moves, Spy Chameleon on the same Wii U)
Get ready to enjoy Off Road races with your friends and family! Rock 'N Racing Off Road offers the most entertaining and exciting races, with loads of skids, crashes and amazing jumps. You will have several modes of play, such as Cup mode, time trial and multi-player with the option of up to 5 Players at a time, as well as an online ranking table where you can compare your best times with friends and players from around the world.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (KONAMI, GBA VC) - &#8364;6.99/£6.29
Dracula is rising once again. At the full moon, the resurrection will be complete! As vampire slayer Nathan Graves, you must storm Dracula's castle in time to save your mentor before his life force is used to restore the Count's. In this, the first Castlevania for Game Boy Advance, defeat monstrous enemies and giant bosses, and gain experience points and special abilities to help explore new areas. Combine action and attribute cards to create more than 80 unique magic spells; from fire whips to ice blizzards. Can you whip Dracula into shape?

Special offers
Cake Ninja 3: The Legend Continues (Cypronia) - &#8364;3.69/£3.33 (Ends February 5, regular price &#8364;4.99/£4.49)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Gunman Clive 2 (Horberg Productions) - &#8364;2.99/£2.50
Gunman Clive returns in an all new adventure. Now in colour! After rescuing Ms Johnson, Gunman Clive returns to again find the town under attack by bandits. To stop them once and for all he must chase after their leader; an adventure that takes him all the way around the world, facing bigger and deadlier enemies than ever before. Gunman Clive 2 retains the same classic gameplay formula, but dials the action up a notch further, with improved and more colourful graphics, more dynamic levels and richer, more diverse environments, bigger bosses and tons of new enemies.

Best of Board Games (Bigben Interactive) - &#8364;24.99/£19.99
Chess, Mah-jong, Solitaire: rediscover 3 timeless classics in this scintillating compilation! Whether you're a beginner or a professional, you'll enjoy these classics, not only with their traditional rules but also with brand new game modes. Check the game rules at any time and test your abilities in Adventure Mode with lots of challenges to take up!

Best of Arcade Games (Bigben Interactive) - &#8364;24.99/£19.99
Rediscover 4 timeless classics in this scintillating compilation! Whether you're a beginner or a professional, you'll enjoy these classics, not only with their traditional rules but also with brand new game modes. Check the game rules at any time and test your abilities in Adventure Mode with lots of challenges to take up!

NES Balloon Fighter (Theme, available January 30) - &#8364;1.99/£1.79
This retro theme features classic SFX and patterned icons and folders. Scroll the Touch Screen to animate the balloon fighter.

NES Fire Mario (Theme, available January 30) - &#8364;1.99/£1.79
This retro theme features classic SFX, brick folders, and blue icons. Scroll the Touch Screen to see Mario throw fireballs.

Top Bottom