• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

Robin64

Oh right, Metroid Prime Trilogy means we get a Metroidvania. Nur. :p

Hopefully it comes with a filter to make it accurate to how we played it back in the day.

nASCa6M.png

I believe the GBA VC does under saturate the colours very slightly but that is more due to the fact so many games used overly bright colours because of that screen*. I remember the pre-backlight days...now that is something I'd like to see a Kids (over)react to...

So did Japan get Ultimate Famicom Remix a few weeks ago or something, it feels odd we're getting all these NES themes now.

*-Although I can't help but think of Tales of Phantasia here where the Japanese and European palette were all overly bright but then the US version had basically the dark palette of SNES/PS1 versions.
I hate that port, when you consider at the time Namco had a better looking, better sounding and faster playing Tales of game on the system it is a travesty but I suppose the B team has to make an engine from scratch

L~A

I believe the GBA VC does under saturate the colours very slightly but that is more due to the fact so many games used overly bright colours because of that screen*. I remember the pre-backlight days...now that is something I'd like to see a Kids (over)react to...

So did Japan get Ultimate Famicom Remix a few weeks ago or something, it feels odd we're getting all these NES themes now.

*-Although I can't help but think of Tales of Phantasia here where the Japanese and European palette were all overly bright but then the US version had basically the dark palette of SNES/PS1 versions.
I hate that port, when you consider at the time Namco had a better looking, better sounding and faster playing Tales of game on the system it is a travesty but I suppose the B team has to make an engine from scratch

I know it's un-related, but reading you go from 3DS themes (no, they never got UNR in Japan btw) to Tales of reminds me of the 3 Tales of Graces themes Bamco released in Japan last week.

Talk about random.

Meanwhile, still no Abyss 3D on the eShop in EU : /

L~A

Sorry for the double-post, but apparently, the Link and Samus themes aren't getting released this week.

Now what?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The different NES themes are cool, but damn it, I REALLY want Sega to release those system themes over. The Saturn one that plays Super Sonic Racing on the menu is perhaps the one theme I would legit pay money for.

VLiberty

Gunman Clive 2 this week. Shantae next week. Majora the week after. And then Iron Fall in february and Mario vs Donkey Kong in March. If Rodea and Xeodrifter localizations drop by April/May this might be one of the best span in 3ds life for my tastes.

I'll probably not get anything on D1 though, as usual lol. I've spent too much in the past weeks

also

Banned
Do the Picross e games ever go on sale in EU? Is there one that is better than the rest or should I just start at the first one?
I don't remember them ever going on sale, be it Europe or elsewhere. e1, e2 and e3 went on sale once but only in Japan. They were 50% off roughly a month before e5 was released.

ibk3EgJousdlRz.png

Picross: standard picross
Micross: a classic painting is broken into 10X10 puzzles. As you solve the puzzles you fill out the painting, eventually revealing the full artwork. The puzzles are really easy so it's boring.
Mega Picross: an exciting new way to play picross! Hint numbers now span 2 rows/columns so you have to change your approach. (Some weirdos don't like this mode.)
Bonus*: save data from e1, e2 and e3 each unlocks 5 picross puzzles in e4 and 5 mega picross puzzles in e5.

As you can see the games are pretty evenly matched in content, so it only depends on whether you like mega picross or not. If you only want regular old picross, you should go with e2; same number of puzzles as e1 and you get to try (the boring) micross. Afterwards you can buy e5 to see if you like mega picross, and try the bigger (20X15) puzzles. Plus you'll unlock 5 more picross puzzles with your e2 save data.

It should be noted that e1 and e2 have 2 flaws not present in the later games. The first and minor one is that they will keep asking you if you want hints at the start of almost every puzzle. The second and major one is that they will instantly notify you if you wrongly fill a square in the Easy and Normal modes, and give you a time penalty (the games time how long it takes you to finish each puzzle). Both of this features can be turned off in the sequels.

Picross is so awesome that you'll eventually buy them all anyway.

L~A

Pretty sure the Picross e game went on sales at least once in Japan (a couple of weeks ago), but nothing in the West, yes.

also

Banned
Pretty sure the Picross e game went on sales at least once in Japan (a couple of weeks ago), but nothing in the West, yes.

My bad.
Went through the 2014 threads and found that e1, e2 and e3 were 50% off in Japan in May last year. For reference, Japan got e5 in June 2014, so we would have gotten a sale in the West if Jupiter (the developers) wanted to mimic the release and sales dates pattern.

I don't remember them ever going on sale, be it Europe or elsewhere. e1, e2 and e3 went on sale once but only in Japan. They were 50% off roughly a month before e5 was released.

ibk3EgJousdlRz.png

Picross: standard picross
Micross: a classic painting is broken into 10X10 puzzles. As you solve the puzzles you fill out the painting, eventually revealing the full artwork. The puzzles are really easy so it's boring.
Mega Picross: an exciting new way to play picross! Hint numbers now span 2 rows/columns so you have to change your approach. (Some weirdos don't this mode.)
Bonus*: save data from e1, e2 and e3 each unlocks 5 picross puzzles in e4 and e5.

As you can see the games are pretty evenly matched in content, so it only depends on whether you like mega picross or not. If you only want regular old picross, you should go with e2; same number of puzzles as e1 and you get to try (the boring) micross. Afterwards you can buy e5 to see if you like mega picross, and try the bigger (20X15) puzzles. Plus you'll unlock 5 more picross puzzles with your e2 save data.
(A minor complaint against e1 and e2 is that they will keep asking you if you want hints at the start of almost every puzzle. e3 thankfully introduced the option to turn this off.)

Picross is so awesome that you'll eventually buy them all anyway.
Wow, you're awesome. Couldn't have asked for a better reply.

I'll get e1 or e2 in the near future. I love Picross but haven't played a good one of those games in a long time.

foltzie1

TheMoon

Gunman Clive 2 this week. Shantae next week. Majora the week after. And then Iron Fall in february and Mario vs Donkey Kong in March. If Rodea and Xeodrifter localizations drop by April/May this might be one of the best span in 3ds life for my tastes.

I'll probably not get anything on D1 though, as usual lol. I've spent too much in the past weeks

Rodea localization (lol) by April/May (extra lol).

Get those tissues ready.

also

Banned
Wow, you're awesome. Couldn't have asked for a better reply.

I'll get e1 or e2 in the near future. I love Picross but haven't played a good one of those games in a long time.
I forgot to mention one more important thing!
In e1 and e2 you can't turn off the ''normal rules'' for the Normal and Easy puzzles, meaning that you'll be instantly notified when you fill a square that should be left empty, and incur a time penalty (the games time how long it takes you to solve each puzzle). Kind of annoying if you don't want any hints.

L~A

My bad.
Went through the 2014 threads and found that e1, e2 and e3 were 50% off in Japan in May last year. For reference, Japan got e5 in June 2014, so we would have gotten a sale in the West if Jupiter (the developers) wanted to mimic the release and sales dates pattern.

Looks like those "couple of weeks" have evolved into months, ha ha. Thanks for the clarification.

Personally, think I'm gonna get GC1 and 2. They're short games, so it's perfect since I'm quite busy atm.

RiggyRob

Donkey Kong Country Returns is 3.5GB? That's bigger than I was expecting. 13GB of space should be enough for both DKCR and Metroid Prime Trilogy on Thursday, right?

Robin64

All talking about Picross ever does is remind me that we never got, and likely never will get, Club Nintendo Picross.

6.jpg

I forgot to mention one more important thing!
In e1 and e2 you can't turn off the ''normal rules'' for the Normal and Easy puzzles, meaning that you'll be instantly notified when you fill a square that should be left empty, and incur a time penalty (the games time how long it takes you to solve each puzzle). Kind of annoying if you don't want any hints.

That's fine. I don't want hints, but I prefer playing with the penalties!

foltzie1

All talking about Picross ever does is remind me that we never got, and likely never will get, Club Nintendo Picross.

6.jpg

The only thing I would like more than more Picross is an update that allows me to use my own icons for 3DS folders so I can create a Picross folder.

daydream

Banned
The only thing I would like more than more Picross is an update that allows me to use my own icons for 3DS folders so I can create a Picross folder.

So you're looking for the sticker crane game money-sucking machine out in JP. IMO it would make a lot of sense to put it out around the N3DS' release but we also might never see it.

GulAtiCa

When it comes to sales, one reason why you will see $0.99 sales on a $9.99 game on Steam during those crazy sales and never anything like that on Wii U/3DS is due to the policies regarding Nintendo's cut.

I'll explain. I'm don't think this counts as NDA, but doesn't seem to be common knowledge. So I'll hide it in the Email tag. Quote this post to see my explanation.

When it comes to sales, one reason why you will see $0.99 sales on a $9.99 game on Steam during those crazy sales and never anything like that on Wii U/3DS is due to the policies regarding Nintendo's cut.

I'll explain. I'm don't think this counts as NDA, but doesn't seem to be common knowledge. So I'll hide it in the Email tag. Quote this post to see my explanation.

This is news to me and very interesting. Are you sure it's not under NDA? Because revenure splits like those usually are not availabe publicly.
There is also a reason why games on Nintendo platforms (and Sony as well) do not see discounts as high as on Steam, and that's competition. There is a much smaller number of high quality titles on those systems and thus you don't need a crazy promotion to be attractive.

maxcriden

I wasn't aware of any of that. That does seem like an antiquated policy on the face of it. I'm sure they have their reasons for it but I can see how it would negatively impact publishers and devs putting games on sale beyond a 50% discount.

I wasn't aware of any of that. That does seem like an antiquated policy on the face of it. I'm sure they have their reasons for it but I can see how it would negatively impact publishers and devs putting games on sale beyond a 50% discount.

I could see it as a way to actively discourage high discounts while not forbidding them. Nintendo likes their games to keep a certain value. It's tough to say if that is overall positive or negative for Nintendo and publishers.

I do know that a 50% promotion on a Nintendo system is much more attractive than a 50% discount on Steam to me.

maxcriden

I could see it as a way to actively discourage high discounts while not forbidding them. Nintendo likes their games to keep a certain value. It's tough to say if that is overall positive or negative for Nintendo and publishers.

I do know that a 50% promotion on a Nintendo system is much more attractive than a 50% discount on Steam to me.

Oh, I agree. I just think when you come down to cross-platform games I'm not sure if that's as wise for indie sales as it is for Nintendo sales which have that evergreen quality to them. I would hope it works out well for all involved, but I could see how it might irk some devs with $15 games who want a bomba $5 sale to drive profits and awareness but don't want to lose nearly 50% of each $5 sale.

Oh, I agree. I just think when you come down to cross-platform games I'm not sure if that's as wise for indie sales as it is for Nintendo sales which have that evergreen quality to them. I would hope it works out well for all involved, but I could see how it might irk some devs with $15 games who want a bomba $5 sale to drive profits and awareness but don't want to lose nearly 50% of each $5 sale.
Yeah. I'm really sad that we don't get sales data from all of the DD systems because I'd really like to know how the different approaches work for them. We get data here and there for individual games but it's not as detailed as I'd like.

I think Nintendo's policy of almost never discounting games works out for them. It makes no sense to wait for Nintendo discounts (at least retail) because you could be waiting forever. So buying a Nintendo game at full price never feels like a waste of money to me, because I can be almost sure it will keep its (resell) value over a long time.

I think that approach hurts 3rd party games of lower quality though. But if they would allow 90% discounts then people would wait for and demand higher discount on Nintendos titles as well. It's a tricky situation.

TheMoon

This is clearly there to discourage these ridiculous appstore and steam-sale discounts which is part of what's been ruining the games business for years now. This is not something they should change.

terrisus

Hahaha oh man those screens!
It's unreal the GBA was released with a screen like that, especially as the previous Game Boy had a backlight.

uwot.jpg

I mean, yeah, Japan did get a "Gameboy Light" that was front-lit.
But other than that, we didn't even get a front-lit Gameboy in the US until the GBA SP, and didn't get a backlit Gameboy anywhere until the GBA SP's revision.

You could have the aftermarket Afterburner installed, but that was aftermarket of course.
And I would imagine there were aftermarket solutions for GB/GBC as well.
But, other than that, all we had in the US was the Worm Light attachment or other such attachments.

Anyway, the original GBA's screen looks just fine outside in the sun.
The problem is at that point more people wanted to be playing them inside.

Backlight is practically impossible outside though.
I was trying to play a DSi at the beach with my wife a few years ago, but neither of us could see anything. Eventually I just gave up and played something on my GBC.

terrisus

This is clearly there to discourage these ridiculous appstore and steam-sale discounts which is part of what's been ruining the games business for years now. This is not something they should change.

I agree that stuff like that is an overall negative. My first experience with having to deal with Steam was for the Beta of a game I Kickstarted, Shadowgate. Obviously it wasn't required, but I put $200 in toward the Kickstarter. Yet on Steam, all you got was people complaining about the $20 price, asking when it was going to go on sale, and even when it was on sale, complaining it wasn't discounted enough. Stuff like that is honestly just depressing.

And that's one of the other things that always rubbed me the wrong way with Tophat (sorry, I know I said I was done talking about him, but it's topical in this case), is how he was always complaining about sales, and stuff not being on sale, or not being on sale enough, sales sales sales. It's like, yeah, sales are nice, but not to the point where you're ignoring actual worthwhile games because you're busy complaining about sales or lack thereof.

What's your Picross level of expertise? Personally, I like the MegaPicross that was introduced starting with E3.

Hard to say. I would say I'm definitely advanced and completed most of Mario's Picross for example. Since I just went to enter a code in the eShop I bought e1 while I was already there. I just like starting at the beginning. If I like it the other ones won't have to wait long. :)

donny2112

complaining about sales or lack thereof.

I bought 2 of the games in the Indie Connection sale + NES Remix 2 at full price for DDP in December, and then they go on sale a month later for much less than the DDP saved me. On the one hand, ugh. On the other hand, you never know when stuff will go on sale, so you just deal with it. The other option is to wait forever for stuff to go on sale. No use crying over spilt milk, though. At least with no DDP, I can go back to not buying games until the backlog is clearer or there's a sale. :p

MPT is 8-9GB so yea.

Crap! Going to have to delete a bunch of stuff to fit it in. :/ Just need enough free to purchase it, cancel the download, and then redownload the games I am playing. That or stick in a USB drive just to get the space high enough to purchase, then cancel the download.

Top Bottom