• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

maxcriden

Looks very fun and reminiscent of VVVVVV. I tend to find upside-down platforming a bit dizzying, but I'm definitely interested.

A couple screens:

Screen1.png

Screen3.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So THAT'S where in the world Carmen Sandiego's been hiding!

.......what. I couldn't help but think of it with that red coat & hat combo...

TheMoon

Crap! Going to have to delete a bunch of stuff to fit it in. :/ Just need enough free to purchase it, cancel the download, and then redownload the games I am playing. That or stick in a USB drive just to get the space high enough to purchase, then cancel the download.

Well what did you expect. This is three big 3D games you're getting.

terrisus

Crap! Going to have to delete a bunch of stuff to fit it in. :/ Just need enough free to purchase it, cancel the download, and then redownload the games I am playing. That or stick in a USB drive just to get the space high enough to purchase, then cancel the download.

Geeze, first Max, now you too!
What is it with people in this thread not having external storage? >.>

I mean, I could understand it if it was proprietary memory like Sony, or required switching out a hard drive like Microsoft.
But you literally just take any old external hard drive, plug it in, and you're good to go! :þ

Yeah, I know, money and external hard drives don't grow on trees. Still though, I would've thought everyone would've had one by now >.>

maxcriden

Well what did you expect. This is three big 3D games you're getting.

Some would tell you not all of those games are 3D.

Geeze, first Max, now you too!
What is it with people in this thread not having external storage? >.>

I mean, I could understand it if it was proprietary memory like Sony, or required switching out a hard drive like Microsoft.
But you literally just take any old external hard drive, plug it in, and you're good to go! :þ

Yeah, I know, money and external hard drives don't grow on trees. Still though, I would've thought everyone would've had one by now >.>

I don't even know which one to buy, let alone have a money tree to pick from. ;)

I got lucky and won a pre-release code for Gunman Clive 2 from @BertilHrberg himself and just finished a single run. As a way of saying thanks I'll leave some impressions here because I really enjoyed what I played so far (and will play more). I have not played the first one so I can't compare the two. I also won't go into details about the gameplay or content or setting of the levels because that's all the game has and I'd consider anything a spoiler. Going into it blind and being pleasantly surprised by what I saw made the whole thing much better and I'd recommend you do the same if you're interested. Honestly, don't even go on Nintendo's page and look at screenshots.

Gunman_Clive_2_screenshot_5.png

Here's a single screenshot that doesn't spoil anything if you want to judge the graphics. It looks great on the 3DS screen because of the strong artstyle. Tried out the 3D, the effect doesn't seem very strong and doesn't add much for me, but that's true for most games and is not an objective assessment of it. YMMV.

At first I thought I was just going to play a simple Mega Man clone and set my expectations accordingly. You walk from left to right, shoot enemies with your gun and jump across pits in a western setting. And I was right for the first few levels, but then the game started throwing more and more new things at me. But they weren't really new at all - I played some version of those things before - because the game borrows heavily from many other games. And that's a good thing! It doesn't feel lazy. It feels like a love letter to great games from many systems (old and new), not by making cheesy and unfunny references to the games, but by referencing the things that actually made those games great: the gameplay and the design. Many times I found myself smiling because I recognized exactly where the developer took inspiration for a particular level from (or at least I think I did). And the best part is it never becomes stale. The game uses a mechanic or level design, lets you have a few minutes of fun with it and moves on, so you'll always be curious about what's going happen in the next stage. The same is true of the stage's settings, which change quickly and often enough to not get old. And lets just say the game doesn't care for historical accuracy. :) Thankfully, it doesn't do the mistake of copying some of the bad design decisions of classic games, as it gives you infinite lives has multiple slots for saves and a level selection. It's a difficult game though, and you will die many times and have to restart from the beginning of the stage. There are no checkpoints but it doesn't matter because the stages are short.

The overall game is short as well, but has multiple characters with different "abilities", as well as three difficulty settings. I can't say if the stages are balanced around all characters tough. It is definitely made for multiple playthroughs and competition, as it records your three best times per level and if you took damage in it or not. It doesn't have any collectables and only one unlockable (so far, but there is no indication of more), but the unlockable is pretty awesome.

A few criticisms: I had the game freeze on me in one stage, but since the game saves after each one it's the same as if I died, which isn't a big deal. I also think the sound design is weak, with many sound effects being very quiet or missing. It's the only thing in the game that actually makes it feel as cheap as it is, which is unfortunate. The music is good though.

The game releases on the 29th for 2.99€ or the equivalent in your local currency. To put the price in perspective: Only judging the gameplay, I would consider the game of the same quality as a good NES or GameBoy game. If it was released back then, many people would have fond memories of it now, but:

- It's new and shiny!
- It looks much better and does things those systems could never do in gameplay and graphics
- And still it's 1€ cheaper than what Nintendo charges for VC GB releases.

If you need something fun for an evening inbetween big releases, have some money sitting in your account or just think all of the above sounds totally awesome, go buy the game on thursday. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 ducks.

tolkir

I got lucky and won a pre-release code for Gunman Clive 2 from @BertilHrberg himself and just finished a single run. As a way of saying thanks I'll leave some impressions here because I really enjoyed what I played so far (and will play more). I have not played the first one so I can't compare the two. I also won't go into details about the gameplay or content or setting of the levels because that's all the game has and I'd consider anything a spoiler. Going into it blind and being pleasantly surprised by what I saw made the whole thing much better and I'd recommend you do the same if you're interested. Honestly, don't even go on Nintendo's page and look at screenshots.

Here's a single screenshot that doesn't spoil anything if you want to judge the graphics. It looks great on the 3DS screen because of the strong artstyle. Tried out the 3D, the effect doesn't seem very strong and doesn't add much for me, but that's true for most games and is not an objective assessment of it. YMMV.

At first I thought I was just going to play a simple Mega Man clone and set my expectations accordingly. You walk from left to right, shoot enemies with your gun and jump across pits in a western setting. And I was right for the first few levels, but then the game started throwing more and more new things at me. But they weren't really new at all - I played some version of those things before - because the game borrows heavily from many other games. And that's a good thing! It doesn't feel lazy. It feels like a love letter to great games from many systems (old and new), not by making cheesy and unfunny references to the games, but by referencing the things that actually made those games great: the gameplay and the design. Many times I found myself smiling because I recognized exactly where the developer took inspiration for a particular level from (or at least I think I did). And the best part is it never becomes stale. The game uses a mechanic or level design, lets you have a few minutes of fun with it and moves on, so you'll always be curious about what's going happen in the next stage. The same is true of the stage's settings, which change quickly and often enough to not get old. And lets just say the game doesn't care for historical accuracy. :) Thankfully, it doesn't do the mistake of copying some of the bad design decisions of classic games, as it gives you infinite lives has multiple slots for saves and a level selection. It's a difficult game though, and you will die many times and have to restart from the beginning of the stage. There are no checkpoints but it doesn't matter because the stages are short.

The overall game is short as well, but has multiple characters with different "abilities", as well as three difficulty settings. I can't say if the stages are balanced around all characters tough. It is definitely made for multiple playthroughs and competition, as it records your three best times per level and if you took damage in it or not. It doesn't have any collectables and only one unlockable (so far, but there is no indication of more), but the unlockable is pretty awesome.

A few criticisms: I had the game freeze on me in one stage, but since the game saves after each one it's the same as if I died, which isn't a big deal. I also think the sound design is weak, with many sound effects being very quiet or missing. It's the only thing in the game that actually makes it feel as cheap as it is, which is unfortunate. The music is good though.

The game releases on the 29th for 2.99€ or the equivalent in your local currency. To put the price in perspective: Only judging the gameplay, I would consider the game of the same quality as a good NES or GameBoy game. If it was released back then, many people would have fond memories of it now, but:

- It's new and shiny!
- It looks much better and does things those systems could never do in gameplay and graphics

If you need something fun for an evening inbetween big releases, have some money sitting in your account or just think all of the above sounds totally awesome, go buy the game on thursday. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 ducks.

Sold re-confirmed. Thanks for the preview.

beril

And lets just say the game doesn't care for historical accuracy. :)

psh that's outrageous slander; it's completely historically accurate

ouch, I really thought I had caught everything. do you mind telling me which stage and where; did it freeze and start flipping between 3 repeating frames at 1fps?

ouch, I really thought I had caught everything. do you mind telling me which stage and where; did it freeze and start flipping between 3 repeating frames at 1fps?
Yeah that sounds about right. I let it sit for a while but it seemed to only loop and not progress at all, so I tried to go to the Home screen and the 3DS froze. It's unfortunate but as I said not a huge deal.

It happened in (spoilers):
Stage 7, very close to the exit where you have to walk vertically along a wall. Some combination of ducking, shooting and being hit by the lightning caused the crash I think. I tried to reproduce it but it never happened again.

beril

Yeah that sounds about right. I let it sit for a while but it seemed to only loop and not progress at all, so I tried to go to the Home screen and the 3DS froze. It's unfortunate but as I said not a huge deal.

It happened in (spoilers):
Stage 7, very close to the exit where you have to walk vertically along a wall. Some combination of ducking, shooting and being hit by the lightning caused the crash I think. I tried to reproduce it but it never happened again.

damnit that's a random hardware bug that has haunted me throughout the entire development; I really thought I had fixed it

BooJoh

All talking about Picross ever does is remind me that we never got, and likely never will get, Club Nintendo Picross.

6.jpg

I mentioned this in every Picross post-play survey. :(

I don't even know which one to buy, let alone have a money tree to pick from. ;)

I went with a Seagate Expansion desktop version. It uses an AC adapter so no Y-cable, and it's a bit cheaper than the WD drives. I haven't had any issues with it so far, but it did set me back about $80. I went with the 2TB which seems like overkill for Wii U but the 1TB is so close in price that it seemed like a waste to not just get the bigger one. I waited until I absolutely needed an external drive (when I got free Pikmin 3 from Mario Kart) and then used money I had just received for my birthday.

Totally worth having an external HDD though, I never worry about space on my Wii U anymore.

also

Banned
I mentioned this in every Picross post-play survey. :(

I went with a Seagate Expansion desktop version. It uses an AC adapter so no Y-cable, and it's a bit cheaper than the WD drives. I haven't had any issues with it so far, but it did set me back about $80. I went with the 2TB which seems like overkill for Wii U but the 1TB is so close in price that it seemed like a waste to not just get the bigger one. I waited until I absolutely needed an external drive (when I got free Pikmin 3 from Mario Kart) and then used money I had just received for my birthday.

Totally worth having an external HDD though, I never worry about space on my Wii U anymore.

Good thing you didn't buy a 3TB drive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=976583&highlight=reliability

TheMoon

But EU already has it? We need to spam all the NA pages.

a) Lots of GAFers. Everyone who has said "2.5D."

--

1) Thank you.
2) That's okay, thanks anyway.

How can someone call a first person game 2.5D?! That's utterly insane. Quake, Half Life, BioShock, CoD aren't 2.5D games and neither is any Metroid Prime lol. I don't even....

maxcriden

How can someone call a first person game 2.5D?! That's utterly insane. Quake, Half Life, BioShock, CoD aren't 2.5D games and neither is any Metroid Prime lol. I don't even....

Oh. Uh oh. We were having different conversations this whole time. I thought you were referring to multiple Wii eShop games, one of them being DKCR. ;__:

Choomp

Banned

- It's new and shiny!

Great to hear it's good, certainly will pick it up, Gunman Clive was great. Nice, quick little play but it used it's simplicity to it's advantage, I think and was really enjoyable.

donny2112

I had a 180 GB one I used for Wii's external drive, but it died. All the others ostensibly have a purpose, though I can probably swing a 320 GB one over. The issue with me is that it's a ton of wasted space! Really only need something like 30 GBs just to bump it up a bit, so dedicating hundreds (or thousands) of GBs to it just seems a terrible waste. I despise waste. :/

terrisus

I had a 180 GB one I used for Wii's external drive, but it died. All the others ostensibly have a purpose, though I can probably swing a 320 GB one over. The issue with me is that it's a ton of wasted space! Really only need something like 30 GBs just to bump it up a bit, so dedicating hundreds (or thousands) of GBs to it just seems a terrible waste. I despise waste. :/

180GB? 320GB? Sounds like you're looking at Portable hard drives.

Yeah, External ones are bigger and require an external power source (but no messing with a Y-cable!), but you get much more space for a much lower price.

I mean, heck, here's a 2TB one for $98

BooJoh

I think I'm using about 50GB on my external drive, and my system drive (deluxe set) has about 10GB free. But I'm among the minority buying mostly digital on my Nintendo systems.

terrisus

I think I'm using about 50GB on my external drive, and my system drive (deluxe set) has about 10GB free. But I'm among the minority buying mostly digital on my Nintendo systems.

I'm currently using... Let's see here...
200GB out of 2000GB (2TB) on my Wii U's external hard drive.

ohlawd

Yeah, External ones are bigger and require an external power source (but no messing with a Y-cable!), but you get much more space for a much lower price.

donny's talking about space he'll never likely fill up

I have a 500 gig plugged to mine. I only need 100 gigs at best. How about the rest? Wasted.

terrisus

I have a 500 gig plugged to mine. I only need 100 gigs at best. How about the rest? Wasted.

True. Although one could partition that and use it as a computer image backup as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ondore

I think it wipes the drive once you plug it into the Wii U again, so it may not work like that.

FWIW, I'm HEAVY digital (two pages of retail games, 3 pages of eShop and a lot of VC) and I'm still sitting at about 200GB free with the likes of AC3, Lego City and Batman Arkham Origins on there.

donny2112

180GB? 320GB? Sounds like you're looking at Portable hard drives.

I mean, heck, here's a 2TB one for $98

I have plenty of HDDs, but they're in use. The 180 one was old and not being used. Sort of the same thing with the 320. Not going to buy a new HDD to just use a few dozen GBs on it, when I have SD cards hanging about, if I'm that desperate.

Yeah, that. You only need enough space to make the purchase, so I think I can wrangle a 32 GB SD card + adapter to work as an "external HDD" long enough to purchase MPT. (Have the original on disk but $10! It's like SMG2, again. Have to buy because it's so cheap. :p )

terrisus

I have plenty of HDDs, but they're in use. The 180 one was old and not being used. Sort of the same thing with the 320. Not going to buy a new HDD to just use a few dozen GBs on it, when I have SD cards hanging about, if I'm that desperate.

Yeah, that. You only need enough space to make the purchase, so I think I can wrangle a 32 GB SD card + adapter to work as an "external HDD" long enough to purchase MPT. (Have the original on disk but $10! It's like SMG2, again. Have to buy because it's so cheap. :p )

Fair enough.

I just like having enough storage where I never have to think about it.

jholmes

When it comes to sales, one reason why you will see $0.99 sales on a $9.99 game on Steam during those crazy sales and never anything like that on Wii U/3DS is due to the policies regarding Nintendo's cut.

I'll explain. I'm don't think this counts as NDA, but doesn't seem to be common knowledge. So I'll hide it in the Email tag. Quote this post to see my explanation.

Thanks for the info. Very englightening!

MPT is 8-9GB so yea.

Damn it! There's no way that's fitting on my internal HD and I don't have an external. I've done so well in buying tons of games without needing one, too.

Finally we're getting the best Castlevania in Europe.

Hahaha oh man those screens!
It's unreal the GBA was released with a screen like that, especially as the previous Game Boy had a backlight.

Game Boy Color did not have a backlight. Game Boy Pocket got a backlight version in Japan only though if that's what you're thinking about.

Glass Joe

I think I got a little bit of sick in my mouth.

It does look pretty crappy and I really don't think that viewing angle is going to suit the gameplay. But I have to at least give this clone-maker credit for putting the effort to include leaderboards, off-tv, and miiverse stamps. Many major publishers can't be bothered it seems.

Robin64

It does look pretty crappy and I really don't think that viewing angle is going to suit the gameplay. But I have to at least give this clone-maker credit for putting the effort to include leaderboards, off-tv, and miiverse stamps. Many major publishers can't be bothered it seems.

Yeah, those are nice, but NWF does make it pretty easy to do all that. :)

Why major publishers don't is baffling though, when the tools are right there for indies to do it surely the major devs have even better tools.

Top Bottom