• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

steveovig

Yeah, those are nice, but NWF does make it pretty easy to do all that. :)

Why major publishers don't is baffling though, when the tools are right there for indies to do it surely the major devs have even better tools.

Nintendo hasn't even been including Stamps lately, why should 3rd parties?

Robin64

Ohh shit!

7UOgVYB.jpg

Nintendo hasn't even been including Stamps lately, why should 3rd parties?

I know, right? Lack of stamps in Captain Toad made me a bit sad.

It is amazing how Nintendo can just freaking generate silliness into compelling characters. Nikki should serve as ambassador mascot for Nintendo and provide tutorials in all of the non-game content.

It's funny how Nikki has more depth and personality than like 90% of the characters that are in games today. (Granted, the Swingmaster batting cage thing from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball has more personality and character than most characters created today.)

Chrom

I'm wondering how Nintendo will react to this. Similar exploits forced their hands to close the communities for Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Would they close down all of the Game Boy Color communities?

zroid

Banned
I'm wondering how Nintendo will react to this. Similar exploits forced their hands to close the communities for Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Would they close down all of the Game Boy Color communities?

hopefully they wouldn't go that far... posting images of other Nintendo games isn't the same as posting personal and/or X-rated images on Miiverse

Chrom

On a different note, I noticed today that two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games are currently on sale in NA.

[3DS] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $14.99 thru 2/5 (was $29.99)
[3DS] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Danger of Ooze - $14.99 thru 2/5 (was $29.99)

Both are by Activision, I believe.

On a different note, I noticed today that two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games are currently on sale in NA.

[3DS] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $14.99 thru 2/5 (was $29.99)
[3DS] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Danger of Ooze - $14.99 thru 2/5 (was $29.99)

Both are by Activision, I believe.

The former is a pretty bad brawler (regardless of if it is the TV show one or the Movie one)
The latter is a metroidvania game by Wayforward so it's at least decent

Elija2

Anyone saw the Game Boy rom injection trick ?

It basicaly forces the 3ds to load a diferent rom into the oficial game boy emulator (so it requires you to have a gbc or gb VC game) using only some files on the SD card and the browser.

Pretty interesting

Wow, it's really that easy? Does it overwrite your old game's data if you try to save the game?

Does every GBC game use the same emulator? Or will doing this trick with different VC games give you slightly different emulation? It might be fun to mess around with that.

Robin64

Wow, it's really that easy? Does it overwrite your old game's data if you try to save the game?

Does every GBC game use the same emulator? Or will doing this trick with different VC games give you slightly different emulation? It might be fun to mess around with that.

Ingame saving doesn't work, but save states do. Unfortunately that will overwrite the state of the actual title you used to load it.

So far, it seems there are three emulators for GBC, one for each ROM size. You can't load Pokemon Gold using Link's Awakening DX, for example, but Shantae will load it.

Elija2

Ingame saving doesn't work, but save states do. Unfortunately that will overwrite the state of the actual title you used to load it.

So far, it seems there are three emulators for GBC, one for each ROM size. You can't load Pokemon Gold using Link's Awakening DX, for example, but Shantae will load it.

So I can use the in-game save function for the actual game and the save states for the injected game?

I wonder if someone will get this working with the other VC emulators. I can only imagine that Nintendo will patch this exploit before then though.

So I can use the in-game save function for the actual game and the save states for the injected game?

I wonder if someone will get this working with the other VC emulators. I can only imagine that Nintendo will patch this exploit before then though.
As long as the emulator loads the ROM into the RAM it should be doable. Modifying the loaded RAM is what these hacks do.

Spider (the web browser) is definitely being patched or killed in the next firmware update. It isn't just this stuff but being able to run the gateway flash cart (this is the biggest region for Nintendo), Pokémon shenanigans (backup your save file*, import boxes into the game that you've edited on PC etc), not to mention RegionThree.

*-Though to restore if you would still need to do this hack.

I have never seen it on my 3DS and it is current firmware.

I have also not done anything with themes beyond switching to the basic black the first day it was available.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Probably the best place to ask: is there a list out there of 50/60 hz games on EU WiiU VC? I've just completed my Wii->U transfer and I was wondering if there was any benefit in re-downloading the discounted new versions (if you have the game on Wii). For instance Castlevania and Super Metroid apparently still are 50hz, while Castlevania IV is 60 hz?

I can't believe Nintendo started this crap all over with WiiU VC...

Robin64

Probably the best place to ask: is there a list out there of 50/60 hz games on EU WiiU VC? I've just completed my Wii->U transfer and I was wondering if there was any benefit in re-downloading the discounted new versions (if you have the game on Wii). For instance Castlevania and Super Metroid apparently still are 50hz, while Castlevania IV is 60 hz?

I can't believe Nintendo started this crap all over with WiiU VC...

The current list of 50Hz games on the Wii U VC is as follows:

NES
Balloon Fight*
Kirby's Adventure
Ufouria: The Saga

SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2
Harvest Moon
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Pop'n Twinbee
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Super Metroid

* I don't know what we'd call this mess, but it ain't right.

Alright, I missed something.

How exactly is this done?
Homebrew stuff. Yes the Cubic Ninja and a system not fully up to date way. Turns out the current theme is stored as a cache file which can be edited in user mode like play coins (makes sense when you think about it; the crane grab f2p minigame in Japan edits themes and regarding play coins well, game wouldn't be able to deduct play coins otherwise)

Elija2

Speaking of which, is there any way to turn off that pink notification orb? I turned off notifications in the theme store options but it still pops up.

terrisus

Homebrew stuff. Yes the Cubic Ninja and a system not fully up to date way. Turns out the current theme is stored as a cache file which can be edited in user mode like play coins (makes sense when you think about it; the crane grab f2p minigame in Japan edits themes and regarding play coins well, game wouldn't be able to deduct play coins otherwise)

Aww, darn, thought it was something official =(

terrisus

I remember Sutte Hakkun from somewhere, but I can't place where...
He looks familiar though...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and that reminds me, in the listing for that game, it should be "Hakkun," not "Hakken" :þ

donny2112

What was on Wii VC is irrelevant for new releases.

Yeah, which is why there's an upgrade fee. (Not at you.) The Wii U VC game takes added coding over the Wii VC game. They are not the same thing. You're paying an upgrade fee for save states, Miiverse, and whatever debugging they had to do. *ahem* People seem to often not realize that the Wii U/3DS VC games (save 3DS GBA ones) are not basically ROM dumps like they were on Wii, so they're not interchangeable.

Top Bottom