• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

Camjo-Z

I always liked Dreamland 3/64's calming aesthetics and general atmosphere, but when it comes to gameplay Super Star was vastly superior, mostly due to every copy ability having multiple functions at once rather than being split between animal buddies/mixed powers. I'm still waiting for HAL to finally get it 100% right and make an awesome mix of the two styles.

Oh, and to keep with the Nintendo Downloads theme... I almost got Tetris Axis on sale, but got cold feet at the last second and grabbed Etrian Odyssey Untold instead since I figured I might as well try the series before I buy Etrian Mystery Dungeon. (I just wanna finally have a good MD game for my 3DS, you know!) If there's one thing I really don't like it's the overly cutesy anime art style, but the old-school dungeon crawling gameplay is good enough for me to overlook that.

Ladekabel

About to get a 15€ card and finally buy Shovel Knight. Will have 7€ left after that.

Anyone got some recommendations? Would be interested in the Pikmin Short Movies or the Klonoa GBA game. Or should I wait for Pier Solar to go on sale?

Oregano

Thanks. I'm an idiot. 2014 was so good for the eShop that I just didn't want it to end :(

I understand games will come out on, say, Steam for $15, then get huge price cuts, and then launch at full price on a console even while they're commonly available on PC for like $3. (This is what happened with Fez on PS3 for example, and some games available in Humble Bundles have launched full price on the Wii U eShop. I don't really like this, but I understand it.) But when you release something at a fraction of the price on another platform to begin with, and then port it really really late, that's just poor business sense.

Renegade Kid's defence of Mutant Mudds being only 99c on iOS whilst it was still full price on 3DS(Was that $10?) is that the 3DS version has buttons so it's a superior product. That attitude pisses me off, because it has nothing to do with the game itself and everything to do with the hardware.

Actually it shocks me how much good will RK still get when they have been consistently shitty on pricing and (especially) about releasing in Europe.

tolkir

About to get a 15€ card and finally buy Shovel Knight. Will have 7€ left after that.

Anyone got some recommendations? Would be interested in the Pikmin Short Movies or the Klonoa GBA game. Or should I wait for Pier Solar to go on sale?

I'm playing Pier Solar and, although the story and characters are fine, the gameplay is tired: random battles, few different enemies, battles are slow, boring dungeons.

If you're a JRPG fan maybe you can to give it a chance, but, in other case, hardly.

I would recommend first others JRPGs as Earthbound, Breath of Fire or Golden Sun.
Klonoa is recommendable too.

zigg

Renegade Kid's defence of Mutant Mudds being only 99c on iOS whilst it was still full price on 3DS(Was that $10?) is that the 3DS version has buttons so it's a superior product. That attitude pisses me off, because it has nothing to do with the game itself and everything to do with the hardware.
It's true though. The product's value to the consumer is much lower on a touchscreen-only platform.

TheMoon

Confirming F-Zero GP Legend (Falcon Densetsu!) is now live!
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01pesyy.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01yls5b.jpg

Robin64

Aw yeah, GP Legend! Nice blend of the original F-Zero with the subsequent titles. Also a really nice trick with the graphics where there appears to be two layers of "Mode 7" (for lack of a better term) making the track appear above the land below.

Also the music was a nice mix of the series.

For example, Fire Field and Sand Ocean are from SNES F-Zero where Silence and Red Canyon are from F-Zero X.

TheMoon

Call me naive but starting off virtual console releases with F-Zero AND Fire Emblem on January 1st makes me hopeful for the future :D

BooJoh

Sounds like a good reason to stop making products for touchscreen-only platforms then :þ

Of all their games I think Mutant Mudds is the only one on iOS, so maybe they've already stopped. Jools is vocal about how much he loves 3DS, I'd guess Mudds on iOS was probably done in an attempt to make more money to help fund future projects. They're not exactly printing money with their games.

Confirming F-Zero GP Legend (Falcon Densetsu!) is now live!

Aw yeah, GP Legend! Nice blend of the original F-Zero with the subsequent titles. Also a really nice trick with the graphics where there appears to be two layers of "Mode 7" (for lack of a better term) making the track appear above the land below.

I forget, did GP Legend have any Lightning tracks with the mesh road, or was that only in Climax?

It's interesting to see people getting excited now over a game I've loved since it was released but which was largely considered to be the worst F-Zero game and blamed for the death of the series back in the day.

maxcriden

If I can get another Wii U (used) for $130, should I be buying that to flip it? What will someone pay for a Wii U given the great refurbs, though? I'm wondering if it's worth it.

ETA: NVM, turned out to be sans GamePad.

GulAtiCa

Thankfully he realized he was wrong and upped the iOS price to match the 3DS/etc price. Wish other devs were honest with themselves and either started fair prices, or at least corrected their mistakes.

Robin64

I forget, did GP Legend have any Lightning tracks with the mesh road, or was that only in Climax?

It's interesting to see people getting excited now over a game I've loved since it was released but which was largely considered to be the worst F-Zero game and blamed for the death of the series back in the day.

Yeah, it had Lightning with the mesh tracks. Cool tracks, too.

And nah, Maximum Velocity is the game you described. ;)

terrisus

Thankfully he realized he was wrong and upped the iOS price to match the 3DS/etc price. Wish other devs were honest with themselves and either started fair prices, or at least corrected their mistakes.

Yeah, the ideas of:
Games should be free or incredibly cheap (mobile)
Games should have insane price drops (Steam)

Are both pretty depressing and discouraging to me.
Sure, a sale every now and then is nice - but the "expectation" of it, and for it to be so significant, is discouraging.

It's like - price a game at what it's worth, and sell it for that.

Oregano

I didn't actually know they made the price fairer, that's good. It's very off putting to see how many developers are willing to price their games so disparately even taking into account how much a dev kit and ratings costs.

It's especially distressing when, as with the case of Mutant Mudds, it seems like a case of a developer trying to blatantly exploit a dedicated fanbase. I'm sure that's not what it was intended to be but it definitely comes off that way when the reasoning is "because that's the price we can get away with".

terrisus

It's especially distressing when, as with the case of Mutant Mudds, it seems like a case of a developer trying to blatantly exploit a dedicated fanbase. I'm sure that's not what it was intended to be but it definitely comes off that way when the reasoning is "because that's the price we can get away with".

To be fair, Mutant Mudds is a pretty good game, and I was happy to purchase it on 3DS at its launch price.

But, the idea that since something is on a mobile platform, that it should be dirt cheap, is silly.
If those platforms can't support decent prices for games, then they just shouldn't be getting them :þ

donny2112

Yeah, the ideas of:
Games should be free or incredibly cheap (mobile)
Games should have insane price drops (Steam)

Are both pretty depressing and discouraging to me.

I got DQVIII on Android for $13 on sale from $20. S-E probably isn't getting a lot of sales on mobile at that price outside of traditional console gamers, but at least they're not giving away the farm.

I didn't actually know they made the price fairer, that's good. It's very off putting to see how many developers are willing to price their games so disparately even taking into account how much a dev kit and ratings costs.

Devs don't set prices. Publishers do.

With The SE example, their prices don't justify a purchase, considering touch controls on a JRPG are shit when they should work seamlessly.

terrisus

I got DQVIII on Android for $13 on sale from $20. S-E probably isn't getting a lot of sales on mobile at that price outside of traditional console gamers, but at least they're not giving away the farm.

I bought it full-price when it came out.
So, yay for supporting worthwhile development!

Keep, in mind that for most cases in terms of indies, the dev is the pub.

Some cases, the indie dev has a different publisher, such as Ubisoft pub of Cloudberry Kingdom.

Of course, but were we talking about indie development or development in general?

Also, doesn't it cost more to be both publisher and developer?

rjc571

Banned
I agree with Jools' reasoning for underpricing Mutant Mudds on mobile. The mobile version is an inferior product, so why should it cost the same? I would never buy a game like that on mobile for any price due to the bad controls, but I was more than happy to pay the $9 asking price on 3DS. Don't forget that the game was built for 3D as well, which gives the 3DS version even more value. A game like Tengami, on the other hand, was designed with mobile controls in mind, so there is no reason for the Wii U version to cost more. I was planning on buying the Wii U version if it went on sale, but after reading the developer's greedy reasoning for overpricing the Wii U version I don't think I'm ever going to support them with my money.

Oregano

I agree with Jools' reasoning for underpricing Mutant Mudds on mobile. The mobile version is an inferior product, so why should it cost the same? I would never buy a game like that on mobile for any price due to the bad controls, but I was more than happy to pay the $9 asking price on 3DS. Don't forget that the game was built for 3D as well, which gives the 3DS version even more value. A game like Tengami, on the other hand, was designed with mobile controls in mind, so there is no reason for the Wii U version to cost more. I was planning on buying the Wii U version if it went on sale, but after reading the developer's greedy reasoning for overpricing the Wii U version I don't think I'm ever going to support them with my money.

But the Mutant Mudds on iOS and the Mutant Mudds on 3DS are the exact same product, the products that are different is the hardware itself and that's why people pay for dedicated hardware such as the 3DS in the first place. It should cost the same because it is the same.

Of course, but were we talking about indie development or development in general?

Also, doesn't it cost more to be both publisher and developer?

In the examples we've discussed the publisher and developer are one in the same. It costs a developer more to fulfill both roles but that shouldn't affect the price of the game because it should cover the cost of publishing and developing anyway.

terrisus

It's also a little bit for hope that DQVII might come out on mobile in the U.S., since it seems 3DS option is not going to happen. ;)

We're doing our part, at least.

So we're well within rights to scoff at people playing their Candy Birds or whatever :þ

I agree with Jools' reasoning for underpricing Mutant Mudds on mobile. The mobile version is an inferior product, so why should it cost the same?

Isn't it the exact same game, though?

In the examples we've discussed the publisher and developer are one in the same. It costs a developer more to fulfill both roles but that shouldn't affect the price of the game because it should cover the cost of publishing and developing anyway.

It shouldn't, but as you notice in just this thread alone, people will bitch and moan about a 5 dollar price difference, even if it for a highly polished game.

I hate the never ending race to the bottom. That race is what makes devs and publishers become super risk adverse.

Oregano

It shouldn't, but as you notice in just this thread alone, people will bitch and moan about a 5 dollar price difference, even if it for a highly polished game.

I hate the never ending race to the bottom. That race is what makes devs and publishers become super risk adverse.

You say a five dollar price difference but in a lot of cases that's over 100% mark up and in some cases as high as 1000% mark up.

terrisus

No, it's a worse game by virtue of having worse controls.

I mean, would you say that Halo (or whatever) was "a worse game" if someone was playing it with a cheap knock-off controller?

The gane's exactly the same, it's the controller that sucks.

rjc571

Banned
I mean, would you say that Halo (or whatever) was "a worse game" if someone was playing it with a cheap knock-off controller?

The gane's exactly the same, it's the controller that sucks.

The controller sucking is the reason why the game has less value and therefore should cost less money. Same reason why multiplatform games last gen were cheaper on the Wii due to not being HD, even in cases like De Blob 2 and Rayman Origins where the Wii version was identical to the other versions in every respect outside from resolution.

terrisus

The controller sucking is the reason why the game has less value and therefore should cost less money. Same reason why multiplatform games last gen were cheaper on the Wii due to not being HD, even in cases like De Blob 2 and Rayman Origins where the Wii version was identical to the other versions in every respect outside from resolution.

I guess we have a significant disagreement on what is under the jurisdiction of the game and what is under the jurisdiction of the system.

There's nothing in the game Mutant Mudds stopping it from having good controls.
And, in fact, on mobile devices with actual controls (say the Xperia Play, or a phone with a Bluetooth controller), the controls are fine.
The fact that it doesn't have good controls on other mobile devices is the fault of those devices.

So, again, the lesson to take here is not that Mutant Mudds did anything wrong, but that something is wrong with the majority of mobile devices.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
wait, is true that in PAL I can buy both Shovel knight versions with 16 euro due to the promotion + sale?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What promotion? There is no promotion other than the sale.

for PAL there is a cross promotion since launch, 33% off from one version if you already had the other. I've just seen on the eshop that it is still active despite the sale. so basically 9.99 for one version due to the sale, and I was asking if I'd pay just 6 bucks for the other. if so, I'm double dipping

tolkir

wait, is true that in PAL I can buy both Shovel knight versions with 16 euro due to the promotion + sale?

If you bought one game, the other version cost €9.99. Promo ended December 31st theoretically.

Right now, it's cheaper. Both games €19.98.

TheMoon

for PAL there is a cross promotion since launch, 33% off from one version if you already had the other. I've just seen on the eshop that it is still active despite the sale. so basically 9.99 for one version due to the sale, and I was asking if I'd pay just 6 bucks for the other. if so, I'm double dipping

Yea that ended, like tolkir said. At least it should have ended?! Are you saying they forgot to switch it off?

jholmes

Yes, this is critical. Jools Watsham has made his mistakes (as we all have) and I have never heard him blame the consumer. As a customer I'm willing to tolerate screw-ups so long as I'm not told I'm a bad person for not wanting an unappealing product.

I ask this every time and bumped the 1001 Spikes OT but got no reply... Did they patch the 3DS version yet? Last I heard was you couldn't play with unlocked characters. Still on the fence.

Top Bottom