• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

maxcriden

I ask this every time and bumped the 1001 Spikes OT but got no reply... Did they patch the 3DS version yet? Last I heard was you couldn't play with unlocked characters. Still on the fence.

I haven't heard if they did. I know Nicalis games are notoriously slow on that front, though. Sorry doge.

nintendoge.png

maxcriden

Yea still don't think they ever patched Grinsia either. I'll shoot them a tweet.

I think Grinsia came out much later. So I very much doubt it. :(

FWIW I think a Nicalis dev posts on GAF, maybe?

(hey listen)

Here is a new trailer for indie game Tiny Galaxy. Looks like a very fun platformer with Mario Galaxy like platforming.

Tiny Galaxy

Looks rad as an idea but I'm dizzy after just a few moments. That's probably just my own sensitivities at play, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yea still don't think they ever patched Grinsia either. I'll shoot them a tweet.

They patched Grinsia at least once but it's far from fixed.

I'll try and search through some threads. I know they patched off TV play into the Wii U version. I'd rather play on the 3DS though.

They said they were going to add off-tv play to 1001 Spikes but I don't think they actually did, and I don't think the 3DS version was patched, either.

bobohoro

So I can't buy things on the 3DS e-shop if I don't have enough space to download it? That is...strange. Will have to look for a spare SD card lying around, my new one only arrives after the promotion on chrimson shroud is over.

Still debating on Weapn Shop de Omasse and Attack Of The Friday Monsters. Both sound interesting, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing them in the near future.

So I can't buy things on the 3DS e-shop if I don't have enough space to download it? That is...strange. Will have to look for a spare SD card lying around, my new one only arrives after the promotion on chrimson shroud is over.

Anything you can back up saves then delete so you can buy it? At least then it's tied to your account and you can just re download whatever in your purchase history.

ngower

Alright, I think I've talked myself out of buying Shovel Knight (for now). Now comes an even more challenging question: Fire Emblem or Advance Wars (initially)? I've only played the demo of Awakening on 3DS, but it seemed alright, and I remember playing and enjoying a good chunk of Advance Wars on the DS before getting a bit frustrated and setting the title aside indefinitely.

Alternatively, any essential VC/eShop games I may have overlooked (I don't have all that many) that you might recommend?

terrisus

Alright, I think I've talked myself out of buying Shovel Knight (for now). Now comes an even more challenging question: Fire Emblem or Advance Wars (initially)? I've only played the demo of Awakening on 3DS, but it seemed alright, and I remember playing and enjoying a good chunk of Advance Wars on the DS before getting a bit frustrated and setting the title aside indefinitely.

Alternatively, any essential VC/eShop games I may have overlooked (I don't have all that many) that you might recommend?

Between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars:
Definitely Fire Emblem

For other VC games:
If you don't have Earthbound, get Earthbound right now!

ngower

Between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars:
Definitely Fire Emblem

For other VC games:
If you don't have Earthbound, get Earthbound right now!

I have Earthbound. I've only played an hour or so but it's in my backlog until I can really give it the time and focus it deserves. I've got so many incomplete games I need to push through first.

terrisus

I have Earthbound. I've only played an hour or so but it's in my backlog until I can really give it the time and focus it deserves. I've got so many incomplete games I need to push through first.

You shouldn't need to "push through" a game.
And, none of those games deserve your time more than Earthbound.
It's my 2nd-favorite game ever, after only Chrono Trigger.

But, yeah, as I said, between Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, definitely get Fire Emblem.

ngower

You shouldn't need to "push through" a game.
And, none of those games deserve your time more than Earthbound.
It's my 2nd-favorite game ever, after only Chrono Trigger.

But, yeah, as I said, between Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, definitely get Fire Emblem.

You know when you get really annoyed or frustrated by a game and you decide to put it aside for a couple of days and focus on something else? Well I've been doing that with most of my backlog and am at that point in just about all of my games, so that's why I need to "push through." Mario Kart 8 and Smash are the two exceptions, but they're a bit different as they're sorta pick-up-and-play-whenver types of games (for me at least).

terrisus

You know when you get really annoyed or frustrated by a game and you decide to put it aside for a couple of days and focus on something else? Well I've been doing that with most of my backlog and am at that point in just about all of my games, so that's why I need to "push through." Mario Kart 8 and Smash are the two exceptions, but they're a bit different as they're sorta pick-up-and-play-whenver types of games (for me at least).

Well, obviously you do what works for you.

But, as I said, to me, Earthbound is more important than any other game you could be playing :þ

maxcriden

I'll try and search through some threads. I know they patched off TV play into the Wii U version. I'd rather play on the 3DS though.

Haha that image.

latest

nwgower, how did you talk yourself out of buying SK on sale? ;__;

1404647168_2249852.gif

Some eShop recs:

-Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (yes, I'll recommend this every time....)

-BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

-Thomas Was Alone

thomas.gif

ngower

Well, obviously you do what works for you.

But, as I said, to me, Earthbound is more important than any other game you could be playing :þ

Others would say the same of A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario Galaxy or any number of games sitting in my backlog. There are so many classics I want/need to play, and Earthbound is one of the premier titles I look forward to.

FINE, I won't buy Fire Awakening/Advance Wars just yet... :'(

[EDIT] I have Thomas Was Alone on my laptop, but haven't even started it yet. Gah, maybe I'll pick up a $10 card tomorrow and get Shovel Knight just to let it sit there untouched until I can find time for it haha. I need to set aside a few hours a day to get through this backlog before it gets to some of the levels of other GAFers here.

terrisus

Others would say the same of A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario Galaxy or any number of games sitting in my backlog. There are so many classics I want/need to play, and Earthbound is one of the premier titles I look forward to.

FINE, I won't buy Fire Awakening/Advance Wars just yet... :'(

The best Zelda, the best Metroid, and the
worst
Mario - yeah, looks like you have some work to do there!

maxcriden

[EDIT] I have Thomas Was Alone on my laptop, but haven't even started it yet. Gah, maybe I'll pick up a $10 card tomorrow and get Shovel Knight just to let it sit there untouched until I can find time for it haha. I need to set aside a few hours a day to get through this backlog before it gets to some of the levels of other GAFers here.

I'd say for sure pick up SK while it's on sale. Definitely keep an eye out for the next SKAHBOR and BTR2 sale, though. :)

(P.S. any reason why you wouldn't just buy the game with your CC?)

ngower

I'd say for sure pick up SK while it's on sale. Definitely keep an eye out for the next SKAHBOR and BTR2 sale, though. :)

(P.S. any reason why you wouldn't just buy the game with your CC?)

Though Nintendo have a pretty awesome track record, there have been way too many scares this year—Citi, Target, BoA, Sony...just everything's getting hacked. I'm feeling less and less okay about using my card anywhere.

terrisus

Though Nintendo have a pretty awesome track record, there have been way too many scares this year—Citi, Target, BoA, Sony...just everything's getting hacked. I'm feeling less and less okay about using my card anywhere.

All that in less than 48 hours!

maxcriden

Oh, that makes sense. You're buying the eShop games in cash, then? Or just...hoping the store you buy them at doesn't store CC info? (No idea how that works, just sincerely curious.)

All that in less than 48 hours!

sörine

Banned
Nintendo doesn't store card info on their servers fwiw. It's only stored locally on your 3DS/Wii U.

ngower

sörine;145811104 said:
Nintendo doesn't store card info on their servers fwiw. It's only stored locally on your 3DS/Wii U.

Yup. Like I said, Nintendo are pretty great with the way the handle security, but there's something off-putting about the increasing frequency of attacks and I'd rather go with the eShop card. It's more psychological than anything—I get peace of mind by just taking an additional step. I live within walking distance of every major retail chain, so it's not like it's out of my way to go get an eShop card.

BooJoh

Isn't it the exact same game, though?
Sort of. I got it for free during a promotion (paid full price on 3DS, won a copy on Wii U and ended up with a Steam copy from a Humble Bundle, but 3DS is the best version now that it's updated with the Deluxe content) the controls on iOS are so much worse that the timer counts up instead of down, meaning you can take all the time you want in the iOS version.

I ask this every time and bumped the 1001 Spikes OT but got no reply... Did they patch the 3DS version yet? Last I heard was you couldn't play with unlocked characters. Still on the fence.

They haven't patched it that I'm aware, but not being able to play unlocked characters isn't entirely true. Just make sure you back up your save, because the game will freeze up when you take an unlocked character through the main gate (when the story sequence would normally show) but once you get back in, provided it didn't wipe the savegame, you'll be able to choose the next level for that character and move on.

Bear in mind that FE: Awakening has the option to turn off perma-death, while the older titles don't, so if you're like most people you'll be resetting whenever someone dies. Advance Wars, on the other hand, gives you completely disposable units but lacks the RPG component.

My eShop must haves:
3DS: Pushmo, Crashmo, Picross-e
Wii U: Pushmo World, NES Remix 1&2
3DS/Wii U: Shovel Knight, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Highly recommended:
3DS: Mutand Mudds, HarmoKnight, Xeodrifter, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Cave Story, VVVVVV, Ikachan (especially if it's on sale), Tappingo 1&2
Wii U: Knytt Underground, DuckTales Remastered
3DS/Wii U: 1001 Spikes, Mighty Switch Force
DSiWare: Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Mighty Flip Champs

My VC must haves:
3DS: Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Wii U: Earthbound, Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Highly recommended:
3DS: Shantae, Wario Land 2, Link's Awakening DX
Wii U: Duck Hunt, F-Zero, Castlevania CotM and HoD
3DS/Wii U: Punch-Out, Mario 3 (might want to wait for SMA4),

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Why is this game not coming to 3DS? I'll grab it off the Appstore anyway, but it'd be a perfect fit for the eShop with the fame looking so much like a SuperFami game.
Snow Bros/Rodland/Bubble Bobble were clearly more than an inspiration, love the music too. Truly looks like a '90s game more than something going for the retro look, I welcome it and wouldn't mind playing it on a portable with buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RcisDUS5faM

bobohoro

Anything you can back up saves then delete so you can buy it? At least then it's tied to your account and you can just re download whatever in your purchase history.

I had ways in the past, but anything that could do it is either broken, lost or only supports micro-sd. It's a common thing for me that the electronic equipment I'd need in a moment always escapes me, I don't even bother being annoyed by it anymore. Ah well, I will find a way. Crimson Shroud always looked interesting and at that price, I really need to check it out.

also

Banned
I had ways in the past, but anything that could do it is either broken, lost or only supports micro-sd. It's a common thing for me that the electronic equipment I'd need in a moment always escapes me, I don't even bother being annoyed by it anymore. Ah well, I will find a way. Crimson Shroud always looked interesting and at that price, I really need to check it out.

He's talking about using the built in save back-up system. You don't need an SD-card reader for that.
-select a game icon
-click the arrow in the bottom left corner
-click create

Now you have a save backup. Go in the settings -> data management -> software and delete the game for which you just made the backup. Almost all games support this, but there are some exceptions, e.g., Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Pokemon...
When you feel like playing the game again, redownload it from the eShop and go to settings -> data management -> save data backup -> restore.

Backing up saves manually is a pain as the folders have weird names and some, like Animal Crossing, have even more layers of protection.

BooJoh

I believe what he meant was if you have another digital game big enough, you could click the backup save option on the 3DS home menu, delete that other game, download the new game, then redownload the game you deleted later once you have a bigger SD card or have freed up space.

EDIT: Beaten

TheMoon

Here is a new trailer for indie game Tiny Galaxy. Looks like a very fun platformer with Mario Galaxy like platforming.

Tiny Galaxy

The dev is kind of a douche though. No love from me.

They said they were going to add off-tv play to 1001 Spikes but I don't think they actually did, and I don't think the 3DS version was patched, either.

Yea they focused completely on Binding of Isaac Rebirth and gave that full priority over supporting any of their other games that needed patches or localization.

BooJoh

Oh wow, thanks. Since MH3 was my first digital game and that one doesn't have that, I didn't even know about this. My other digital game is SMTIV, and since that is rather new, I guess that solves my problems.

I think MH doesn't have it because it would conflict with the Wii U save transfer feature. Other games that don't have it tend to be games that you could exploit by restoring save files, like Pokémon, ACNL, and Tomodachi Life (and for some reason SSB... they might automatically disable it for any first party game with online play.) Those games (ACNL at least, probably the others too) actually have extra protection to prevent you from manually backing up the save, as when you save your game it writes a special randomized ID on the save file and on your system memory, and if they don't match it won't load the save. If you were to backup the save manually, as soon as you launched the game it would rewrite a new ID in the system memory rendering the backup save useless.

In essence, if a game doesn't support the system's save backup, you can only backup the save manually if you don't intend to launch the game again until after you've restored the backup.

bobohoro

I think MH doesn't have it because it would conflict with the Wii U save transfer feature. Other games that don't have it tend to be games that you could exploit by restoring save files, like Pokémon, ACNL, and Tomodachi Life (and for some reason SSB... they might automatically disable it for any first party game with online play.) Those games (ACNL at least, probably the others too) actually have extra protection to prevent you from manually backing up the save, as when you save your game it writes a special randomized ID on the save file and on your system memory, and if they don't match it won't load the save. If you were to backup the save manually, as soon as you launched the game it would rewrite a new ID in the system memory rendering the backup save useless.

In essence, if a game doesn't support the system's save backup, you can only backup the save manually if you don't intend to launch the game again until after you've restored the backup.

Yeah, just checked and I can even backup MH3U, but only when chosing the option to delete the software in the same process, so no option for save shenanigans there. Well this makes digital management of the 3DS easier at least, with Rune Factory 4 and Ace Attourney on my purchase-list I'm glad I discovered save back-up now.

Although it won't be much of a problem with my 32gig card arriving sometime next week. :D

Now I just need to think about what I do with my leftover e-shop credit. Get MK8-DLC, Shovel Knight (I don't have nostalgia for 8-bit and am not huge on platformers, so I haven't bought it yet), or get Friday Monsters and Weapon Shop. Decisions, decisions.

maxcriden

Now I just need to think about what I do with my leftover e-shop credit. Get MK8-DLC, Shovel Knight (I don't have nostalgia for 8-bit and am not huge on platformers, so I haven't bought it yet), or get Friday Monsters and Weapon Shop. Decisions, decisions.

Since you're not hugely into platformers, unless you're MK8 obsessed I'd say go for FM and WS. :)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yea they focused completely on Binding of Isaac Rebirth and gave that full priority over supporting any of their other games that needed patches or localization.

You say that like there was ever a chance they'd be fixed to begin with. Nicalis doesn't give a fuck.

Fevaweva

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know of any good replacement styluses for the New 3DS XL? I stupidly lost mine (although I don't know how!)

Top Bottom