• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

wilflare

hmm not sure where else I can ask but are any of you playing much using the Gamecube controller? thinking whether I should get them

Help me out here. What's the point of Pokemon Pinball?
You know how strawberries, awesome things that they are, became pals with icecream, another awesome thing, and created strawberry icecream? Or how electricity and guitars got together and that meant God exists and he actually somewhat likes us? Well, Pokemon Pinball is close to that. Also, I mean, what's the point of doing anything fun?

hmm not sure where else I can ask but are any of you playing much using the Gamecube controller? thinking whether I should get them
Do you mean the GameCube controller adapter for Wii U? If so, I'm pretty sure those are only compatible with Smash for now. But, yeah, best controller ever, get them if you can use them.

Need some guidance. Since this is one of the most active threads in regards to Wii U online services i decided to givi it a try.

Recently i noticed the Miiverse icon is not flashing when i get a notification in there. Of course i did check all the Miiverse settings. Also i used Google but there's just 2 other people with the same problem and no answers have been given.

Anyone sharing the same issues or has something to comment?

Trine 2; yes or no?
Already said. It's a steel at 10. The game should be 40, if Nintendo get's away with it then Frozen Byte should also XD

It looks gorgeous, probably the best looking Wii U game. Once you get used to the way it handles platforming everything clicks and you can enjoy making your way through the game by solving physics based puzzles. There are tons of ways to tackle them and even more when playing with 1 or 2 other people.

A neat touch is that is one of the few Wii U games that implements voice chat properly. For one, it uses the Gamepad mic insteadd of forcing you to put a headset. Can be toggle to always on, or at your will through a variety of ways: a button or a combination.

It supports touch type play, a more traditional dual analog play and even Wii Remote/Nunchuk.

terrisus

Do you mean the GameCube controller adapter for Wii U? If so, I'm pretty sure those are only compatible with Smash for now. But, yeah, best controller ever, get them if you can use them.

Would be awesome to be able to play VC games with this:

tGLHP42.jpg

Robin64

See if you can get a Super Nintendo Classic Controller from eBay. Absolute best thing on the entire planet to play SNES VC games with.

TheMoon

That works with WiiU VC games?
Nifty.

Everything plugged into a Wiimote "is" a Wii Classic Controller to the console (unless it's a Nunchuk, of course^^). And all Wii U VC games work with the Wii Classic Controller, obviously. So, yup.

terrisus

Everything plugged into a Wiimote "is" a Wii Classic Controller to the console (unless it's a Nunchuk, of course^^). And all Wii U VC games work with the Wii Classic Controller, obviously. So, yup.

I guess I'm just so used to the "In Wii Mode, only Wii devices work" that I just automatically associated "In Wii U Mode, only Wii U devices work."

Which, in retrospect, makes no sense, since of course plenty of Wii U games use a Wii remote as a controller. I don't know >.>

See if you can get a Super Nintendo Classic Controller from eBay. Absolute best thing on the entire planet to play SNES VC games with.

I may do just that!

TheMoon

I guess I'm just so used to the "In Wii Mode, only Wii devices work" that I just automatically associated "In Wii U Mode, only Wii U devices work."

Which, in retrospect, makes no sense, since of course plenty of Wii U games use a Wii remote as a controller. I don't know >.>

Try to overwrite with: Wii U is backwards compatible, Wii (Mode) is not forwards compatible. Problem solved. :)

Need some guidance. Since this is one of the most active threads in regards to Wii U online services i decided to givi it a try.

Recently i noticed the Miiverse icon is not flashing when i get a notification in there. Of course i did check all the Miiverse settings. Also i used Google but there's just 2 other people with the same problem and no answers have been given.

I've actually noticed the same thing happening to me over the past few days

This happens for me on occasion. Do you have a 3DS too? If you check it on one system, the other will still flash as if there is a notification even though you read them all.

Already said. It's a steel at 10. The game should be 40, if Nintendo get's away with it then Frozen Byte should also XD

It looks gorgeous, probably the best looking Wii U game. Once you get used to the way it handles platforming everything clicks and you can enjoy making your way through the game by solving physics based puzzles. There are tons of ways to tackle them and even more when playing with 1 or 2 other people.

A neat touch is that is one of the few Wii U games that implements voice chat properly. For one, it uses the Gamepad mic insteadd of forcing you to put a headset. Can be toggle to always on, or at your will through a variety of ways: a button or a combination.

It supports touch type play, a more traditional dual analog play and even Wii Remote/Nunchuk.

Bought!

Would be awesome to be able to play VC games with this:

tGLHP42.jpg

I have this. Love it :D

I've actually noticed the same thing happening to me over the past few days
Similar here, over the past few days.

So now there's several of us in the same situation. i wonder if it's even more wide spread but people aren't noticing.
This happens for me on occasion. Do you have a 3DS too? If you check it on one system, the other will still flash as if there is a notification even though you read them all.
Not at the moment.

The things is, it doesn't flash at all in the Miiverse icon on the main menu. No matter how many notifications or private messages i get in Miiverse.

jholmes

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know of any good replacement styluses for the New 3DS XL? I stupidly lost mine (although I don't know how!)

Not sure about New 3DS XL but I bought the regular replacement ones for the 3DS and they work great. It was something like three for $5. I know that may not help but I can vouch for the quality of the regular old ones. They don't say Nintendo on them, but they're well made.

I had to get a new stylus because I took my 3DS out of my pocket after a long day and found the stylus had snapped at the end piece (the hilt? the stem? What do you call such a thing?) while in its hole in the 3DS. I still can't really believed that happened.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

It looks gorgeous, probably the best looking Wii U game.

Meh, while I wouldn't go as far as saying it sucks but more that it's boringly average, at the end of the day Trine 2 only has the (commendable!) amount of options and the gfx going for it in my *opinion*. What is a fact tho, is that it's blasphemous to compare the game to a top dog first party title from Nintendo themselves and even less to say it's worth 40 bones :p

JoeM86

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Chariot – €14.99 / £13.49
Underground – €19.99 / £15.99
Crunchyroll

Wii U Virtual Console
Dig Dug – €4.99 / £3.49
Lode Runner – €4.99 / £3.49

3DS
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – €39.99 / £29.99
Classic Card Games – €6.99 / £4.99

3DS Themes
Game & Watch (Colourful) – €1.99 / £1.79
Super Mario (Wooden World) – €1.99 / £1.79
Zelda: Skyward Sword: The Impending Battle – €1.99 / £1.79

Orgen

Can you smell it!? Is time for Square & Enix games on the VC!!! Come on Terranigma!!!!

(I'm like TTH with this but at least I'm optimist! ;D)

PS: thanks Joe for crushing my dreams ;( hahaha

JoeM86

Oops, forgot the price reductions

Wii U
Cubemen 2 - €4.99/£4.49 Until January 22
Paper Monsters Recut - €3.29/£2.79 Until January 15
Tested with robots! - €5.00/£4.50 Until January 15
EDGE - €0.99/£0.89 Until January 21
RUSH - €0.99/£0.89 Until January 21
Toki Tori - €0.99/£0.89 Until January 21
Trine 2: Director's Cut - €8.49/£6.99 Until January 29
Tetrobot & Co. - €4.99/£3.74 If you own Kung Fu Rabbit, Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY on Wii U. Until January 22
Kung Fu Rabbit - €2.49/£2.24 If you own Tetrobot & Co., Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY on Wii U. Until January 22
Puddle - €3.49/£3.14 If you own Tetrobot & Co., Kung Fu Rabbit or Wooden Sen'SeY on Wii U. Until January 22
Wooden Sen'Sey - €4.99/£4.00 If you own Tetrobot & Co., Puddle or Kung Fu Rabbit on Wii U. Until January 22

3DS
EDGE - €0.99/£0.89 Until January 21
Cubit The Hardcore Platformer Robot - €1.99/£1.80 Until February 8
Coaster Creator 3D - €5.00/£4.00 Until January 22

L~A

Only download for me will be Crunchyroll... though I know I won't use it, just curious about it.

Skyward Sword theme is tempting, but honestly, I just can't replace the Hanafuda theme, ha ha.

L~A

Game & Watch theme could be good. Any shots?

Sadly, Nintendo stopped tweeting about the new themes on Monday, they do it on Thursday/Friday now :(

Not sure it's available in Japan, should check out.

Edit: doesn't look like it's available in Japan.

Robin64

Sadly, Nintendo stopped tweeting about the new themes on Monday, they do it on Thursday/Friday now :(

Not sure it's available in Japan, should check out.

I had a look through http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/theme/list/ and couldn't see anything.

But this one has potential! Currently using Cat Mario, though December I was using the Christmas Jingle Animal Crossing one. Great theme but only works for Christmas really.

By no means expect everyone to enjoy the game but at least we should recognize it's merits.

Trine 2 sucks. I hate its physics. No amount of pretty can make up for it.
What's the problem you have with the physics?

i think they are quite complex and detailed for this type of game, not perfect. But Frozen Bite nailed the most important aspect when using this type of gameplay and that it's behaves as the player expectes when they get used to them

100% with you. It's baffling how much of a hassle the gameplay is. I'll have to try some co-op first before writing the game off for good, though.
At least be a little more specific. What parts of the gameplay are hassels to you?

Meh, while I wouldn't go as far as saying it sucks but more that it's boringly average, at the end of the day Trine 2 only has the (commendable!) amount of options and the gfx going for it in my *opinion*. What is a fact tho, is that it's blasphemous to compare the game to a top dog first party title from Nintendo themselves and even less to say it's worth 40 bones :p
Average is an interesting way to put it and it implies there are other games doing similar things of equal or better quality. Please, refer them to me so i can try them XD

The " commendable amount of options" includes fantastic support for every type of Wii U controller available, that in itself is above average. Few games come close in this regard, only i can think about right now is Pikmin 3.

Graphics are an integral part of a visual medium like this, your answer in a sort of dismissive way is interesting. Mainly because one of the biggest appeals of Captain Toad is the colorful and detailed art style, which is a very important part of the experience for that game. Then why judge Trine differently?

You forgot to mention in your list of positives, the local and online multiplayer aspects of the game. It is not an small task to pull of a game of this type in an online environment, we don't have many (to not say none) Nintendo platformers with full online play yet.

About the "blasphemous" epithet used to describe the comparison. What's so nuts about it? Toad has a more complex, tight, clever level design and puzzles, the trade off is that its more restrictive. Trine on the other hand has less involving, simple and "lose" puzzles and this is expected since it favors a more emergent type of gameplay, which is less traditional than what Toad does.

There are many ways to solve the problems the game presents to the player. And also the solutions can change acording to many variables: Amount of players, characters, ability's levels, characters left with lives, etc.

Finally i think Toad doesn't fare so well at 40 when compared to other offerings in the puzzle genre. Either you have stuff as clever for substantially less or you have something of the level of Talos Principle at more or less the same price.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really liked Trine 2, I don't get the complains about it, especially without further details. I played through most of it in co-op with my girlfriend, maybe there lies the difference. But even the part I played alone I found to be very entertaining with all the switches between the wizard, the thief and the soldier and their different abilities. It was for sure my favourite indie game for the first months of the console.

Edit: on the other hand I don't see how relevant is to compare Captain Toad with Trine 2 and other puzzle games. The indie games are forced to be low priced because they are present in more mediums (and tougher ones from the pricing point of view) and wouldn't sell at a higher price. In my opinion the price (at list in some cases) of indie games doesn't really reflect their value. Plus there is obviously more production value into Captain Toad, not only the level design and puzzle design but also a lot of details and animations that are done beyond your regular puzzle game.

daydream

Banned
At least be a little more specific. What parts of the gameplay are hassels to you?

Why would I be more specific when talking to someone who likely knew what I was referring to?

Since you've asked, though: Everything feels sluggish, slow, loose in a frustrating way. The jumping is atrocious, you constantly slide off things, bump against edges, fumble about. The air physics are insane. Making boxes with the wizard is tedious. Combat boils down to you flailing around with your sword like an idiot, there's zero finesse involved. No amount of controller options (a perk of tertiary importance, at best) can fix the ever-present lack of control in Trine 2.

The art direction is a redeeming factor at times (even though it does lean towards a very generic look) but it is rarely put to good use. A lot of the level design is forgettable or worse. You're never looking forward to the next obstacle since you know it will a chore more than anything else.

I can see how you could get some enjoyment out of co-op but like I said, I haven't gotten a chance to try that, yet. Well, actually I have but with the myriad of more attractive options available, I guess I always chose to pass on it and leave it for another time.

The comparison to Captain Toad is rather ill-conceived, I might add. Captain Toad (along with Monument Valley) feels new and fresh, Trine is more akin to Lost Vikings.

TheMoon

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Chariot – €14.99 / £13.49
Underground – €19.99 / £15.99
Crunchyroll

Wii U Virtual Console
Dig Dug – €4.99 / £3.49
Lode Runner – €4.99 / £3.49

3DS
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – €39.99 / £29.99
Classic Card Games – €6.99 / £4.99

3DS Themes
Game & Watch (Colourful) – €1.99 / £1.79
Super Mario (Wooden World) – €1.99 / £1.79
Zelda: Skyward Sword: The Impending Battle – €1.99 / £1.79

Please start posting the full info:

Dig Dug (BANDAI NAMCO Games, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49
Get on down with Dig Dug, and wage underground war with your trusty pump! Vanquish persistent Pookas and fiery Fygars to clear each stage. Defeat enemies by inflating them with air or by dropping rocks on them from above. Earn bonus points by collecting fruit or defeating deep-dwelling foes. This classic game blends old-school arcade action with strategy; try to lure multiple enemies into position and satisfyingly squash them with a single rock! This is the US version of the game.

Lode Runner (KONAMI, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49
Lode Runner is a landmark action-puzzle game that has spawned many sequels and created countless inspiration. Simple action blends with deviously designed stages, as you collect gold while avoiding enemy robots by digging holes in the floor. Use your brain and your reflexes to complete each puzzling stage and escape to the next. In addition to normal play, the game also features an edit mode that allows you to design your own stages, adding a new level of enjoyment. This is the US version of the game.

Top Bottom