• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

maxcriden

I didn't see it posted here yet, but Legend of the Dark Witch is getting a sequel:

image_thumb2.png

Inside System has a follow up to their side-scrolling shooter, The Legend of the Dark Witch. A teaser site for The Legend of the Dark Witch 2 is live, and the game will be released sometime in 2015. The teaser page will update with new information on Friday.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/0...de-2-shoots-release-year/#Of989mVxyAIpOtls.99

Via: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/04/legend-dark-witch-episode-2-shoots-release-year/, gonintendo.com

Oops, forgot the price reductions

Wii U

Paper Monsters Recut - €3.29/£2.79 Until January 15
Tetrobot & Co. - €4.99/£3.74 If you own Kung Fu Rabbit, Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY on Wii U. Until January 22
Kung Fu Rabbit - €2.49/£2.24 If you own Tetrobot & Co., Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY on Wii U. Until January 22
Wooden Sen'Sey - €4.99/£4.00 If you own Tetrobot & Co., Puddle or Kung Fu Rabbit on Wii U. Until January 22

Some terrific sales here, I can heartily recommend all of the above. Although, the WSS final level is obscenely impossible to me. OTOH, I really enjoyed the game a lot up to that point. I think there's a demo though for those on the fence.

Any impressions on Puddle?

maxcriden

daydreaming & TheMoon; is it viable to create a second NNID/Europe acct so you can play games like these that don't spring for German ratings?

The problem i see with your complains is that they are been made outside of any game desing considerations.
Since you've asked, though: Everything feels sluggish, slow, loose in a frustrating way. The jumping is atrocious, you constantly slide off things, bump against edges, fumble about. The air physics are insane. Making boxes with the wizard is tedious. Combat boils down to you flailing around with your sword like an idiot, there's zero finesse involved. No amount of controller options (a perk of tertiary importance, at best) can fix the ever-present lack of control in Trine 2.
Everything is "sluggish, slow, loose" because it needs to be in benefit of the palyer. The navigation is based around physcis simulations with the players creating and manipulating objects in realtime, this has the potential to create a vast amount of scenarios that could brake the system down. There needs to be a margin of error and "loseness" to acomodate things, specially for online multiplayer.

Not your favorite meal? No problem, but there are design reasons for the game to be like that.

The art direction is a redeeming factor at times (even though it does lean towards a very generic look) but it is rarely put to good use. A lot of the level design is forgettable or worse. You're never looking forward to the next obstacle since you know it will a chore more than anything else.
You are looking to much into it. Is basically the "room by room" lay out of many puzzle games chained by a thematically cohesive level presentation.

The comparison to Captain Toad is rather ill-conceived, I might add. Captain Toad (along with Monument Valley) feels new and fresh, Trine is more akin to Lost Vikings.
i know i made a desccription of both games in a previous post. But did you read what was the original comparison to Captain Toad?

It was about perceived value of the product vs price of entry. That was all. Notice how i haven't made any assessment in what game i think is better or which i prefer.

Lost Viking is a good comparison. Yet beyond the surface Lost Viking works differently, is not physics based and doesn't acomodate much of emergent gameplay the way Trine does.

Why do you think Captain Toad feels new and fresh? It's kind of interesting when we had many discussions about something like Toki Tori in this Nintendo Downloads threads.

@MUWANdo

Banned
daydreaming & TheMoon; is it viable to create a second NNID/Europe acct so you can play games like these that don't spring for German ratings?

You can format your system, buy the game from another country's eShop and re-link your NNID to get the game on your account, but that resets your friend codes, renders most of your save data useless and forces you to redownload all your games, so you'd better be damn sure you're gonna like the game you wanna buy.

maxcriden

You can format your system, buy the game from another country's eShop and re-link your NNID to get the game on your account, but that resets your friend codes, renders most of your save data useless and forces you to redownload all your games, so you'd better be damn sure you're gonna like the game you wanna buy.

Ugh, that is an obscene amount of trouble. Blegh. I was hoping TM or DD had a second 3DS or something that they could do this with.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I simply loved Trine 2. really. one of the best game on the Wii U eshop to me.
Btw, I'm liking Weapon de Omasse: any other GAF loved it?

maxcriden

Why? I'd certainly hope most of us are already familiar with classics such as Dig Dug and Lode Runner... or you mean just the fact that they are US versions?

Don't worry, sakipon, there are plenty of us neglectful, poor fans who knows about games like this in name only. ;)

(Sincerely.)

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask y'all if you're familiar at all with the Super Famicom Lode Runner Twin or related games. Are they worth picking up?

gfs_9346_2_1.jpg

daydream

Banned
The problem i see with your complains is that they are been made outside of any game desing considerations.

Everything is "sluggish, slow, loose" because it needs to be in benefit of the palyer. The navigation is based around physcis simulations with the players creating and manipulating objects in realtime, this has the potential to create a vast amount of scenarios that could brake the system down. There needs to be a margin of error and "loseness" to acomodate things, specially for online multiplayer.

Not your favorite meal? No problem, but there are design reasons for the game to be like that.

Sure, but I'd argue the game is actually more straight-forward then you are suggesting. There's almost a bit of an identity crisis going on where the game has the basic framework to be this physical sandbox you are making it out to be but then fails (or decides against) realising that premise. And it's that kind of framework that is not known to be that great to begin with for things like character movement. I'm sure you would agree that, if put into a more neutral tone, the statement of physics-y games being very much about floatiness and looseness would hold true (think first-person PC games, LBP, etc.) - and you might well be right that it's not my cup of tea, exactly, *but* I can still try and make a case for why I think it doesn't work in Trine 2.

You are looking to much into it. Is basically the "room by room" lay out of many puzzle games chained by a thematically cohesive level presentation.

Sure, I was just saying that I don't think it is pulled off particularly well. And granted, that is largely a repercussion of the movement being what it is. If you were given a Bobby Car, you probably wouldn't look forward to driving on a dirt track with it.

i know i made a desccription of both games in a previous post. But did you read what was the original comparison to Captain Toad?

It was about perceived value of the product vs price of entry. That was all. Notice how i haven't made any assessment in what game i think is better or which i prefer.

Well, that's a point we fundamentally differ on, then. I can talk about value (aka quality) but price is really a non-category for me. Trine 2 could be a buck and I would still recommend Captain Toad over it any day of the week because the former is heavily flawed while the latter is a great game. But ok, we don't have to pursue this line of discussion.

Lost Viking is a good comparison. Yet beyond the surface Lost Viking works differently, is not physics based and doesn't acomodate much of emergent gameplay the way Trine does.

Why do you think Captain Toad feels new and fresh? It's kind of interesting when we had many discussions about something like Toki Tori in this Nintendo Downloads threads.

While I do think CT feels fresh (for the simple reason that we have not seen many games like it before), my main point was lost due to poor phrasing on my part, so apologies. I was just trying to say that the games are very different and that I wouldn't consider them to be of the same ilk, in any fashion. They only thing they have in common is the puzzle aspect, something they share with millions of other games. I really can't think of any similarities beyond that, at all.

Yeah, like Muwando said, it is not an option. :( I don't even know what's more annoying in all of this, region locking/restrictions or game exclusivity. I guess the second one will always persist while Nintendo could easily do away with the first one.

image.php

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to poke fun - those two responses in a row like that just made me laugh, imagining them.

That's fine. It is a rather comical state of affairs, after all.

NoA can and has done those type of sales in the past. (Getting a discount on one game if you already own another one)

According to multiple Indies this is not possible. They were flat out told that tools were not in place to handle this between 3DS and Wii U

sörine

Banned
NoA can and has done those type of sales in the past. (Getting a discount on one game if you already own another one)
Sure, they just won't open it up to 3rd parties for some reason. Except for VC I guess, Capcom did SF2 and Final Fight deals iirc.

TheMoon

doesn't work on 3DS. I'm not formatting my system to play one game. On Wii U I could just make another NNID and switch but on 3DS that's a no-go.

But after I get a N3DS, I will use my OG 3DS to make a new NNID for some other EU country since I'm tired of this mess.

Why? I'd certainly hope most of us are already familiar with classics such as Dig Dug and Lode Runner... or you mean just the fact that they are US versions?

Yes that. Also for some newer games, the PR text has some useful info on the content.

The cross-platform part is key here.

According to multiple Indies this is not possible. They were flat out told that tools were not in place to handle this between 3DS and Wii U

You can probably ascribe that to different priorities. One just needs to look at the fact that NA had pre-loading for Smash and I don't think we had this available in PAL land. Same for the web-purchases that launched recently. We don't have that either. It's a constant trade-off and something we need to deal with (and have dealt with since forever).

GulAtiCa

I should start the USK process now that PEGI is taken care of. I should get PEGI rating in about 2 weeks.

Edit: USK is a simple process it seems. Submitting by Wednesday then! So ZaciSa will be ready for a full Europe (PEGI/USK) launch by March (if not Feb)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Game & Watch theme? Hmmm, wonder what the music is (perhaps one of the Flat Zone songs from SSB?)

maxcriden

3D #Afterburner 2 listato sull'#eShop #3DS, il 15/1 a €4.99 @GoNintendoTweet @NinEverything #SEGA #3DClassics pic.twitter.com/vRO8nNqEfB
— Nintendo Hall (@NintendoHall) 5 januari 2015

Coming 1/15 to EU eShop; via gonintendo

Javier

The cross-platform part is key here.
Except there's nothing about these sales involving cross-platform? Not sure why you're bringing 3DS into this.

A while back NoA let you purchase the three SNES Kirby games by getting a discount on the third game if you owned the other two. The exact same type of promotion is the one going on now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guessing that'll be the US release date as well. Maybe we'll hear from Sega this week.

I mainly want release dates for 3D Outrun & the Fantasy Zone games.

Chrom

Dig Dug (BANDAI NAMCO Games, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49
This is the US version of the game.

This is a bit amusing to read because I believe that Dig Dug only ever released on the Famicom in Japan. It never had a proper NES release in the US, so it's technically erroneous to refer to this as the US version.

daydream

Banned
This is a bit amusing to read because I believe that Dig Dug only ever released on the Famicom in Japan. It never had a proper NES release in the US, so it's technically erroneous to refer to this as the US version.

It's probably the same version as the one released on the Wii VC in the US which technically would make it some sort of US version.

doesn't work on 3DS. I'm not formatting my system to play one game. On Wii U I could just make another NNID and switch but on 3DS that's a no-go.

But after I get a N3DS, I will use my OG 3DS to make a new NNID for some other EU country since I'm tired of this mess.
Just a reminder here that NNID is completely optional on 3DS.

tolkir

GRW810

I should start the USK process now that PEGI is taken care of. I should get PEGI rating in about 2 weeks.

Edit: USK is a simple process it seems. Submitting by Wednesday then! So ZaciSa will be ready for a full Europe (PEGI/USK) launch by March (if not Feb)
Any price range for UK?

Dee Dee

I simply loved Trine 2. really. one of the best game on the Wii U eshop to me.
Btw, I'm liking Weapon de Omasse: any other GAF loved it?

Yess, Weapon Shop de Omasse is a work of art. I really enjoy the fact that people sat down and made this, it is great fun. Gameplay is not exactly the selling point here, but it is a wonderful RPG parody and at least worth the three bucks it was on sale for for the great setup alone of a world where weapons get rare because of too many adventurers.

Next time it is on sale you should all bite and have some fun.

GulAtiCa

Any price range for UK?

Well, the US version will likely be $3.99 by time Europe releases. What do you think might be a good price point? £2.49? £1.99? What would you and others consider fair?

Any suggestions for the Euro amount too?

CraigMcD

Well, the US version will likely be $3.99 by time Europe releases. What do you think might be a good price point? £2.49? £1.99? What would you and others consider fair?

Any suggestions for the Euro amount too?

Remember that the UK/EUR prices will include tax. £2.49 sounds too low for a $3.99 game.

Chrom

Looks like Coderchild has put a sale on Cubit for this month.

[3DS] Cubit the Hardcore Platformer Robot - $1.99 thru 1/31 (was $2.99)

Didn't see anything else new.

Chrom

So is Pokemon Pinball the only GBA game we get in NA this month?

So far it is, but I think it's unlikely it'll be the only one for the rest of the month. We typically don't know very far in advance what Virtual Console games are to be released on the eShop in NA. Anything can happen.

rjc571

Banned
The first two Crash games on GBA were actually pretty good. I'd buy 'em if hell freezes over and they get released on Virtual Console.

Top Bottom