• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2015

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I hope the sequel is called Dragon Fantasy: Final Quest to fully show what two games it was inspired by.

SerTapTap

I never even heard of Donkey Kong Jungle Climber. Jesus that IP was abused horrifically between DKC3 and DKCR.

How good is Dragon Fantasy?

I mean it looks interesting, but so did Pier Solar which was a meh to bad actual game.

It has some cool features and occasionally nice humor/references, I eventually quit due to the grind/difficulty though. The speedup option on PS3 was amazing, but the game took forever to give you more than one character and balance was really bad making grinding necessary. Unsure about the second game, but the first really does feel like an 80s JRPG...including a lot of the bad stuff. In fact just like Earthbound 0 I'd argue it would be better played with savestates, speedup (which is included actually) and an Easy Ring to double XP and half encounter rate.

GulAtiCa

Not sure if I should get Isaac on 3DS or Wii U. Thinking n3DS due to 3D.

Xeodrifter for Wii U is next week! And since that is cross buy, unlike greedy Nicalis, I already own it for Wii U. sweet.

SerTapTap

Xeodrifter for Wii U is next week! And since that is cross buy, unlike greedy Nicalis, I already own it for Wii U. sweet.

I would wait for info about performance before buying the N3DS version. It had moderate perf issues on Vita that were only partially addressed. I'd tend to recommend Wii U anyway for the twin sticks. I imagine it would hurt a lot to play it with the N3DS nub, though using the buttons to shoot isn't actually that bad, it's actually preferable for Chocolate Milk and some others

I hope Legend of Kay doesn't run like ass. I preordered on Amazon and have no intention of canceling. It's only $25 and it's been so long since I've played a decent B tier action platformer like that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

R U sure?

Last I saw OG 3ds owners were fucked.

Usually I would complain about no Wii games, but Canvaleon comes out today. Wanted to try this for a while now, so the next time I get funds added it will be mine. :3

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh crap, didn't see that it starts Sunday. So used to sales starting the same time eShop updates.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (discount from July 26 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 2.)
  • Mighty Switch Force! 2 (discount from July 26 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 2.)
  • Assassin's Creed III ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Child of Light ($3.75 until 08/03, then $14.99)
  • Cloudberry Kingdom ($2.49 until 08/03, then $9.99)
  • ESPN Sports Connection ($12.49 until 08/03, then $49.99)
  • Just Dance 2015 ($19.99 until 08/03, then $39.99)
  • Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth ($7.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Rabbids Land ($12.49 until 08/03, then $49.99)
  • Rayman Legends ($19.99 until 08/03, then $39.99)
  • The Smurfs 2 ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Watch Dogs ($22.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 ($12.49 until 08/03, then $49.99)
  • ZombiU ($22.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Midnight (reduced from $1.99 to $0.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 6.

New Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker (reduced from $49.99 to $39.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 27.
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (discount from July 26 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 2.)
  • Mighty Switch Force! 2 (discount from July 26 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 2.)
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars 3D ($7.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Petz Beach ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Petz Countryside ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Petz Fantasy 3D ($7.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Poptropica: Forgotten Islands ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Rabbids Travel in Time 3D ($7.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Rayman 3D ($7.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Rayman Origins ($7.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D ($7.49 until 08/03, then $29.99)
  • Tetris Ultimate ($14.99 until 08/03, then $19.99)
  • Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D (reduced from $9.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 6.

vYU92.png

• Canvaleon (OXiAB Game Studio | €11.95 | £10.80 until 08/06, then €13.95 | £12.59)
  • Blocky Bot (Mobot Studios | €2.69 | £1.89)
    TM_WiiUDS_Canvaleon_search_thumb.jpg
    TM_WiiUDS_BlockyBot_search_thumb.jpg

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (CAPCOM) - €29.99/£24.99 (For users who have downloaded Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo Version with the same Nintendo Network ID. The offers ends July 30. Normally €44.99/£39.99)
  • Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (ATLUS) - €14.99/£13.49 (Ends July 30, normally €29.99/£24.99)
  • Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (Akaoni Studio) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends August 21, normally €7.00/£6.30)

uxwGK.png

Robin64

It doesn't have 3D.

Edit: Though apparently it might be added later? Though based on reports of the performance, not sure how that will happen.

There are performance issues even though they made it n3DS exclusive? Isn't it just a really simple 16-bit style pixel game? I don't get it.

maxcriden

Are xeodrifter on both systems the same price? If not, if they're crossbuy, what's the incentive behind buying the more expensive one?

GulAtiCa

There are performance issues even though they made it n3DS exclusive? Isn't it just a really simple 16-bit style pixel game? I don't get it.
Lots of bullets and enemies can be on screen. That alway made the framerate tank in the Vita version.
Yep. That is what I imagine for n3DS only entry. A lot going on.

From experience now, I can really say how a game looks isn't really relative to how it plays, framerate wise.

My own game, ZaciSa, is a good example of this. By just looking at it, it's just a simple 2D game without much complexity to the looks. Just crayons for heaven's sake. But it has a LOT going on, esp behind the scenes. So ended up with like sub 30 FPS with lot of slowdown and lag. Spent good 6+ months on my game to get it to the smooth stable 60 FPS awesomeness it is now. One thing that helped was downgrading it to 720P from 1080P. But also going over every line of code 100 times to optimize it and use all sort of tricks.

So basically, being simple "16bit" like look to it, doesn't mean as much to what it's trying to do. :)

Are xeodrifter on both systems the same price? If not, if they're crossbuy, what's the incentive behind buying the more expensive one?

Most like it. Both $9.99

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only very rarely has anyone ever priced a crossbuy game differently. Usually a console specific sale on PSN or maybe once or twice as a mistake.

Robin64

So basically, being simple "16bit" like look to it, doesn't mean as much to what it's trying to do. :)

Oh no, absolutely, that's all cool and everything. I guess I don't understand what is going on behind the scenes, does it have complex AI, or intense calculations about bullet physics? I genuinely don't know. From here, it doesn't look to be doing anything Smash TV didn't on the SNES years ago.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, I only see the BoxBoy theme on the shop. What the hell is going on with the Miiverse & Project Mirai themes to be listed two weeks in a row in PR but not be on the shop?

TheMoon

watershed

Banned
Oh man, I didn't realize the Binding of Issac was originally gonna be a Nintendo exclusive! I can't believe Nintendo's stubborn policies meant losing out on what would have been a huge 3rd party exclusive.

bobawesome

Welp, I only see the BoxBoy theme on the shop. What the hell is going on with the Miiverse & Project Mirai themes to be listed two weeks in a row in PR but not be on the shop?

I came here hoping for some clarification. I need Miku on my 3DS.

There's no 3D on Binding of Isaac? Hnnng.

What about Dragon Fantasy?

Any notable reviews of Binding of Isaac? I am just curious about any performance issues.

BooJoh

There's no 3D on Binding of Isaac? Hnnng.

What about Dragon Fantasy?

Any notable reviews of Binding of Isaac? I am just curious about any performance issues.

I was disappointed to see that Isaac wasn't in 3D since nicalis posted multiple 3D mockups on twitter.

I haven't seen any performance issues or slowdown yet, and I just fought Monstro while I had orbiting tears so there were tons of bullets onscreen.

A quick bootup of Dragon Fantasy and I can confirm that it at least has 3D in battles in both 8 and 16-bit modes and 3D on the overworld map in 16-bit mode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty sure it is, considering there'll be a bundle of the game & the amiibo that goes with it.

That's cool. I saw some footage of the game at E3 on the Nintendo Treehouse, but I thought the game was just going to be on the eShop.

BooJoh

A bit of an update re: Isaac 3DS performance. I've had it slow down slightly when multiple enemies die at once, but this seems rare, and when fighting
Mom
with a lot of powerups there was a little bit of slowdown, but it didn't feel overly disruptive to gameplay. Overall happy with the performance, but still a bit disappointed at the lack of 3D.

Everyone buy Streets of Rage 2!

Oh man, I didn't realize the Binding of Issac was originally gonna be a Nintendo exclusive! I can't believe Nintendo's stubborn policies meant losing out on what would have been a huge 3rd party exclusive.

Its better for gamers for it to be available on all platforms. The Vita version is perfect.

Robin64

Seeing that the 3DS Isaac is riddled with bugs is a bit of a shame. Apparently they're being worked on, but they seem like things that should have been picked up. Invislble bosses and music just stopping.. Yeah.

Ed McMillen says they have a patch waiting to go, but are just waiting on Nintendo.

Apparently the Xbox One version has invisible walls at times, too, so it's not just 3DS that's having problems. Hooray?

BooJoh

I've run into the music stopping bug a few times. Seems to happen particularly if you change rooms quickly between rooms that have different BGMs. I haven't run into any other bugs yet.

It wouldn't be a Nicalis release without bugs though. :p

maxcriden

Elliot Quest is getting a major update 7/30 with stamps and a Miiverse journal. There will be a 15% off sale as well.

It's also coming to PS4, XB1 and 3DS in 2016. So pleased more people will get to play this superb game.

Incidentally, on Monday evening we returned to the game after beating Adventures of Pip. I think I tried to beat one of the bosses a solid fifty+ times. I know I can do it and I've gotten pretty close. But dang it's tough. Fair but super tough.

Simbabbad

I never even heard of Donkey Kong Jungle Climber. Jesus that IP was abused horrifically between DKC3 and DKCR.
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat beats the crap out of any Donkey Kong Country game, it's quite simply a masterpiece on absolutely any level.
The Mario vs. Donkey Kong series is the only one somewhat still continuing the legacy of the first game and of the best puzzle platformer ever, Donkey Kong '94.
From what I played, King of Swing is a fun game, much more original than any Donkey Kong Country game ever was.
Also, the very first Donkey Kong Country sucks, and Returns is riddled with issues.

Team Meat coding has always been ridiculously inefficient. People had tons of issues with Super Meat Boy on PC because "not enough powerful PC". Their games have code layers upon code layers.

Simbabbad

I'm speaking purely about the look.
I agree with this. The "arcade cabinet drawing" looks and pixel art of King of Swing does look better than the pseudo-Rare CGI effect in Jungle Climber.

I didn't know Jungle Climber was supposed to be better, though. Is there any way to play it correctly on Wii U (without the huge Nintendo DS border that would burn my TV screen)?

Top Bottom