• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2015

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat beats the crap out of any Donkey Kong Country game, it's quite simply a masterpiece on absolutely any level.
The Mario vs. Donkey Kong series is the only one somewhat still continuing the legacy of the first game and of the best puzzle platformer ever, Donkey Kong '94.
From what I played, King of Swing is a fun game, much more original than any Donkey Kong Country game ever was.
Also, the very first Donkey Kong Country sucks, and Returns is riddled with issues.

Y0e3Hcm.gif

No.

I agree with this. The "arcade cabinet drawing" looks and pixel art of King of Swing does look better than the pseudo-Rare CGI effect in Jungle Climber.

I didn't know Jungle Climber was supposed to be better, though. Is there any way to play it correctly on Wii U (without the huge Nintendo DS border that would burn my TV screen)?

I've been using the screen option where the bottom screen is bigger, but it's a bit awkward at first. Why can't they give us an option that's like the default but doesn't have the ugly DS border?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jungle Beat was rather cool, but I think part of that was because you used BONGOS to controller him, so using claps (& by that I mean "smack the side of the bongos because it's quicker & easier") and such was a novel approach.

Haven't tried the Wii version. Wonder if that'll ever get added to the eShop.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I only played Jungle Beats on the Wii, so I can't speak to how it was with Bongo controls, but with Wii Remote + Nuncuck it was an amazing game. If I had to rank, it'd be under Tropical Freeze (no shame in losing to the greatest platformer ever) and proooobably DKC2, although it's a close call.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would imagine with Wiimote controls, it would be a bit easier because of the precision. With the bongos, it would be a bit harder to control your jumps because it's hard to replicate a "light tap" on the d-pad or analog stick with the bongos.

I do wonder if Nintendo will put all those GCN to Wii rereleases on the eShop (Play Control?), like Pikmin 2 & Mario Power Tennis (though I heard MPT was worse due to waggle). I'm actually surprised Twilight Princess, a Wii launch title with a bunch of hype, wasn't put on. Same for Skyward Sword.

So I've never played an Assassin's Creed game, and kind of want to give one a whirl. Is Black Flag for $14.99 worth it? The price more or less matches up with what else I'm finding online, so I might bite. Does the game do anything interesting with the Wii U?

sörine

Banned
Elliot Quest is getting a major update 7/30 with stamps and a Miiverse journal. There will be a 15% off sale as well.

It's also coming to PS4, XB1 and 3DS in 2016. So pleased more people will get to play this superb game.

Incidentally, on Monday evening we returned to the game after beating Adventures of Pip. I think I tried to beat one of the bosses a solid fifty+ times. I know I can do it and I've gotten pretty close. But dang it's tough. Fair but super tough.
Everyone buy this! Best indie game on the system yet imo. I double dipped on Steam and will triple dip for 3DS.

Also worth noting but it seems EQ sold more on Wii U than on Steam!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, this is why you don't announce a sale before it happens. I'm really considering getting it, but I can wait a little bit and get it 15% off?

Simbabbad

To what? If we agree Jungle Beat is a brilliant game, I can agree to disagree with the rest :p !

I've been using the screen option where the bottom screen is bigger, but it's a bit awkward at first. Why can't they give us an option that's like the default but doesn't have the ugly DS border?
What about the option where the two screens are on top of each other on the TV without the border, and sideway on the gamepad? Can the buttons and cross be used in that mode (saw that one on this video)?

Jungle Beat was rather cool, but I think part of that was because you used BONGOS to control
It was part of the experience, but the arcade-style scoring system with combos was genius, especially combined with the completely nuts level design.

Also, the art and character design was awesome (IMO better than Rare's or Retro's) and the bosses, man, the bosses... that game was so much fun.

I would imagine with Wiimote controls, it would be a bit easier because of the precision. With the bongos, it would be a bit harder to control your jumps because it's hard to replicate a "light tap" on the d-pad or analog stick with the bongos.
Actually I found it extremely precise, because beating the bongos very fast vs. slower was intuitive, and in my experience allowed more precision that "tilting the stick a bit less". You could more easily nuance your speed.
It was the clapping which caused a few issues (for me): sometimes it clapped when I didn't want it to clap, and sometimes didn't when I did clap. It didn't happen too often to be a big deal, but there it was.

sörine;172872797 said:
Everyone buy this!
I'm going in vacation on the 29th, so I won't be able to buy it during the sale :-( hope there will be a later one, I'm very interested into this game.

I'm in the Jungle Beat is better than any DKC game ever was camp.

And its not a diss on DKC at all, Jungle Beat was just that awesome.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fun fact: Jungle Beat was also the very first game to get the rating of E10+. I remember having to explain it to my parents considering they were the type to actually make note of the ratings, but never saw this one. Thankfully, it made no barring on the purchase of the game since they knew "Oh, DK, he likes that, & this says 10+ so it's not T or M".

maxcriden

Fun fact: Jungle Beat was also the very first game to get the rating of E10+. I remember having to explain it to my parents considering they were the type to actually make note of the ratings, but never saw this one. Thankfully, it made no barring on the purchase of the game since they knew "Oh, DK, he likes that, & this says 10+ so it's not T or M".

Congrats, Zonic. I am only 27 but this makes me feel very old. I still remember K-A.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll be 24 in Sept. I was 12 when Jungle Beat first came out. I think I got the bundle because I already had Donkey Konga but my parents or whoever couldn't find just the game itself.

......but to get back on topic, yeah, I wonder if we'd see the Play Control version of this & other games appear on the eShop, assuming we actually get more Wii games in the future.

I was disappointed to see that Isaac wasn't in 3D since nicalis posted multiple 3D mockups on twitter.

I haven't seen any performance issues or slowdown yet, and I just fought Monstro while I had orbiting tears so there were tons of bullets onscreen.

A quick bootup of Dragon Fantasy and I can confirm that it at least has 3D in battles in both 8 and 16-bit modes and 3D on the overworld map in 16-bit mode.
Thanks for the impressions, I'll pick it up tonight.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat beats the crap out of any Donkey Kong Country game
Barbie's Horse Adventures beats the crap out of any Donkey Kong Country game.

I would also like to jump aboard the Jungle Beat love train. What an awesome game. A shame it'll never be authentically recreated on future hardware.

Binding of Isaac 3DS is all right, ran smooth for me, no bugs.

I think I burned myself out on the original though (130+ hours, I think). Or I am just burned out on video games (haven't played much outside of a few iPad games in a little bit).

Still, this will be nice to have from time to time. I hope they get around to adding 3D, I know, LOL Nicalis and all that, but I think if Edmund wants it, it'll happen.

I died on my first run, which is super rare for me and should be ULTRA rare since none of the nastier stuff is unlocked. I got some new weapon that pretty much left me defenseless. I'm sure it has a use in its own way, but getting it and then immediately going into a LARGE room with nothing but chase enemies screwed me over pretty bad.

Simbabbad

What put me off when I tried Jungle Beat NPC is that it seemed super light on content. Is that correct?
Not really if you like scoring games.

It's like Pac-Man CE DX: the mazes aren't there to be completed once, they're there to be completed again and again until you earn a very high score. If you go for platinum the replay value is very high, because it asks a lot of bettering yourself and understanding the mechanics of the game. Also, it's just plain FUN to replay.

I don't know if NPC is different, though.

Yup, still pretty awesome though, I think its made by the Mario Galaxy team.
It was.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wii version changed quite a few things:

- Traditional health instead of based on how many beats you had
- More levels & some old ones revised
- Clap attacks were directional based instead of being all-around
- A decent amount of other stuff you can read here.

The weird thing is, you can't plug the bongos into the Wii version despite the fact it HAD GCN ports.

zigg

It's like Pac-Man CE DX: the mazes aren't there to be completed once, they're there to be completed again and again until you earn a very high score. If you go for platinum the replay value is very high, because it asks a lot of bettering yourself and understanding the mechanics of the game. Also, it's just plain FUN to replay.
Yep. This is what JB is all about. Getting all platinums on Jungle Beat was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had. Once you figure out that the levels are set up to string giant combos together, it unlocks the amazing.

I don't know if NPC is different, though.
NPC is supposedly the same game with tweaked levels (EDIT: oh, and other things, see above), but I just could not get into it. The physics felt much better with bongos.

Yuterald

What put me off when I tried Jungle Beat NPC is that it seemed super light on content. Is that correct?

Don't be put off by the short length. Jungle Beat on Wii (have yet to sit through the original GC version with the bongos) was one of my favorite games on the system. The stage design is BEYOND competent. So tightly and intelligently designed. The scoring system (if going for the best rank/medal) showcases how well designed the stages are, too. It's a different beast compared to the traditional DKC platformers, but worth playing for its own reasons.

joedick

Is that still an issue now that the game is no longer contemporary and can be had for relatively little?

Personally, I love great games that get to the point and don't wear out their welcome and pad out the game with unnecessary aspects. Part of that is because longer games now take up such a huge chunk of my year, it's nice to get through a fun experience and move on to the next one. I'd love to hear your take on this!

TheMoon

Is that still an issue now that the game is no longer contemporary and can be had for relatively little?

Personally, I love great games that get to the point and don't wear out their welcome and pad out the game with unnecessary aspects. Part of that is because longer games now take up such a huge chunk of my year, it's nice to get through a fun experience and move on to the next one. I'd love to hear your take on this!

Well NPC titles have already been budget-priced at release (I think they were 20 or 30?).

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Yep. This is what JB is all about. Getting all platinums on Jungle Beat was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had. Once you figure out that the levels are set up to string giant combos together, it unlocks the amazing.

Definitely agree. One of the most fun games I've ever played. It was cool that they showed you little video clips with tips on how to increase your combos (like floating up and to the left with the squirrel in the first level), and there were tons of secrets that could lead to more points. The bosses were pretty satisfying too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH RIGHT, the sale starts today:

- Shantae & the Pirate's Curse: $14.99 (?!)
- Mighty Switch Force 2: $4.49

.............and that's it. & that's for BOTH Wii U & 3DS. I feel a bit annoyed Pirate's Curse is only $5 off on 3DS when it was $12 off for Wii U for certain people.

Also you put the sequel to MSF but NOT THE ORIGINAL on sale?

jholmes

I played a couple of Wii U-bound games this weekend at a convention. One is called Pixel Jones and it's sort of Super Meat Boy esque, looks great (it's a pixel art affair) and the controls are very tight. Supposedly this is coming out on Wii U very soon. Nothing to link online here, sorry!

The other one is called Quench and it's still a year out so Wii U support may not be a sure thing but it's something different. You have to herd elephants who kind of just do their own thing but you can control the weather somewhat to make it so they don't die of thirst. A buddy I was with compared it to Shelter and the devs seemed to agree but I've never played that so I have no idea. There's nothing even a little bit like this on the system and it's very touchscreen specific so let's hope all goes well. I think they said they were still in pre-alpha but the game looked very good all things considering, a few obviously expected early development bugs aside.

I don't think this is coming to the Wii U (I talked to the dev and he has one and likes it but said nothing about supporting it) but Black-White is too awesome for me to not bring up here. It's sort of like Ikaruga meets a puzzle platformer. My words won't do it justice. It's loaded with charm and great ideas.

So I've never played an Assassin's Creed game, and kind of want to give one a whirl. Is Black Flag for $14.99 worth it? The price more or less matches up with what else I'm finding online, so I might bite. Does the game do anything interesting with the Wii U?

I got it at Target for $10 last year and I had my fun with it. I never played an Assassin's Creed game before either, and some of the very Assassin's Creed specific stuff I didn't enjoy much. But being a pirate is fun.

The port isn't anything really good as the frame rate is a bit ugly but the map is on the Wii U GamePad and it's easy to manage.

I agree it stinks, but you didn't get ripped off:

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=15&From=USD&To=CAD

We'll see if they adjust the price if the Canadian dollar gets better...

I actually checked this a little after my post and yeah, you're right. That's some sticker shock right there, that $20 is now only buying me $15 US.

Bowl0l

OH RIGHT, the sale starts today:

- Shantae & the Pirate's Curse: $14.99 (?!)
- Mighty Switch Force 2: $4.49

.............and that's it. & that's for BOTH Wii U & 3DS. I feel a bit annoyed Pirate's Curse is only $5 off on 3DS when it was $12 off for Wii U for certain people.

Also you put the sequel to MSF but NOT THE ORIGINAL on sale?
No reason to be upset. Indies will always be on sale during a Steam sale. Maybe Windows 10 will finally allow Windows phone to play PC games although that might be wishful thinking.

tolkir

No Joe yet?

Nintendaan already posted the EU PR of this week.

NintenDaan said:
Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

BADLAND: Game of the Year Edition (Frogmind) - €9.99/£8.99 (Ends August 13, normally €11.99/£10.79)

Fly and survive through the award-winning world of BADLAND and discover an astonishing number of imaginative traps, puzzles and obstacles on the way. BADLAND is a multi-award-winning side-scrolling action adventure with innovative physics-based gameplay and stunning atmospheric graphics and audio. BADLAND: Game of the Year Edition has been redesigned for the Wii UTM with new analog stick controls and enhanced Full-HD visuals. 100 single player levels & loads of local multiplayer fun: up to four players can compete against each other on 27 different deathmatch stages or work together to survive through all 100 levels of the co-op campaign.

Legend of Kay Anniversary (Nordic Games, available July 28) - €29.99/£19.99
10 years after its initial release, Legend of Kay Anniversary is a thoroughly remastered version of the original game: high-resolution textures; new, more detailed character models; modern rendering techniques and crystal-clear surround sound give this great classic a new shine. Full of fond allusions to old martial arts films and pop culture quotes, Legend of Kay Anniversary is both an incredibly funny game and a challenging action-adventure for young and old alike.

Just Dance 2016 demo (Ubisoft, available July 28) - Free
Get a first glimpse at Just Dance 2016 by dancing to Calvin Harris Ft. John Newman’s Blame! No Wii Remote? Download the Just Dance 2016 Controller smartphone app to your iOS or Android device to turn your phone into a controller to play up to 6 players. If you’re holding a phone, you’re ready to Just Dance! The Just Dance 2016 Demo is also compatible with Wii Remotes for up to 4 players. Stay tuned for the full release of Just Dance 2016 coming out October 2015.

Special offers
Elliot Quest (PlayEveryWare) - €10.99/£8.00 (Ends August 13, normally €12.99/£9.49)
TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Keen Games) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends August 13, normally €7.99/£6.99)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

PICROSS e6 (JUPITER) - €5.00/£4.50

Enjoy over 300 puzzles, including special ones. Each puzzle has Navigation Feature and can be played in either Picross or Mega Picross mode. You can also choose the animation for the puzzle screen. PICROSS is a "Picture Crossword Puzzle Game" in which you use numbers as hints to complete images. The rules are simple and easy to grasp.

Lucky Luke & The Daltons (Anuman Interactive) - €29.99/£24.99
Step into the shoes of your favourite hero and head off to conquer the West. Face up to the Daltons in duels which will test your accuracy. Numerous challenges await you!

Flick Golf 3D (Full Fat Productions) - €4.99/£4.49
Welcome to Flick Golf, the world’s most addictive handheld golf game now for Nintendo 3DS! Flick, spin and curve your shots with pinpoint accuracy to sink the perfect hole-in-one. Turn up the 3D depth slider to add a whole new dimension. Beat high scores across six unique and challenging courses in Quickshot, compete for trophies in World Tour, or put your golf skills to the ultimate test in Quickshot Pro. Experience Full Fat's award-winning 'after touch' controls for the very first time on Nintendo 3DS!

The Magic Unicorn (Sanrio, theme available July 31) - €0.99/£0.89
Hello Kitty is riding magic white unicorn in this lovely theme.

Hello Kitty and friends (Sanrio, theme available July 31) - €0.99/£0.89
Cute Hello Kitty theme with little pink hearts.

Cupido (Sanrio, theme available July 31) - €0.99/£0.89
Cute Hello Kitty theme with little pink hearts.

Blu Bubbles (Sanrio, theme available July 31) - €0.99/£0.89
Lots of colourful bubbles for Hello Kitty in this submarine theme.

Hello Kitty Little Princess (Sanrio, theme available July 31) - €0.99/£0.89
Hello Kitty Little Princess and her magic pink coach.

Hello Kitty Bundle (Sanrio, theme available July 31) - €3.99/£2.84
Discover new Hello Kitty wallpapers in this exclusive package!

Special offers
Tomodachi Life (Nintendo) - €27.99/£24.49 (Ends August 6, normally €39.99/£34.99)
Bit Boy!! ARCADE (Bplus) - €0.99/£0.89 (Ends August 27, normally €7.99/£7.19)
PUZZLEBOX setup (Bplus) - €0.99/£0.89 (Ends August 27, normally €2.99/£2.69)
Code of Princess (AGATSUMA) - €14.95/£12.49 (Ends August 13, normally €29.99/£24.99)
Sayonara UmiharaKawase (AGATSUMA) - €12.40/£9.99 (Ends August 13, normally €24.99/£19.99)
Castle Conqueror Defender (CIRCLE Ent.) - €3.49/£2.79 (Ends August 20, normally €4.99/£3.99)
Demon King Box (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends August 20, normally €3.99/£3.19)
Quell Momento (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends August 20, normally €3.99/£3.19)

Is Code of Princess worth playing? Reviews seem mixed but it's hard to say how much that is due to the artstyle.

Unless it's completely worthless 15€ seems alright for a digital only release.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I hear a lot of the problems some people experience with Isaac might be due to the speed of their memory card. I think I have a fast one installed so I'm gonna take the plunge and see how it performs.

L~A

Huh? For some reason, I read that the Hello Kitty Themes would only be available until July 31st, ha ha.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Ok, 15 minutes of BoI including a couple boss fights and the game has been running perfect with my SD card. Impressed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I'd love to hear more opinions on Code of Princess: 50% discount tempts me quite a bit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I tried so hard to like Code of Princess, especially since I heard it had some of the guys that worked on Guardian Heroes, a very fun Treasure beat-em-up.. But it's seriously restricted by the fact it's on 3DS because the framerate isn't good, ESPECIALLY with the 3D on.

It also didn't feel as satisfying compared to other beat-'em-ups. Sure you get 4 characters to play as, but you're basically replaying the same stages 3 times because there's 3 other characters who share the same story and will go through the same stages.

Maybe it would've done better as a downloadable title on consoles or something, but I can't really recommend it.

n64coder

Picross E6?!?!

Yes please! :D

Ditto.

PICROSS e6 (JUPITER) - €5.00/£4.50
Enjoy over 300 puzzles, including special ones. Each puzzle has Navigation Feature and can be played in either Picross or Mega Picross mode. You can also choose the animation for the puzzle screen. PICROSS is a "Picture Crossword Puzzle Game" in which you use numbers as hints to complete images. The rules are simple and easy to grasp.

That will be awesome if I can play each puzzle in Mega Picross mode. I prefer the Mega Picross puzzles as I think they're a bit more challenging.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still can't believe the US hasn't gotten sales on the previous games. I gave in & got e1, e2, & e3, but was hoping e4 would eventually go on sale.

I might have to give in & get it this week, but then again, if we get Picross e6 this week in the US as well, maybe they'll FINALLY do a sale?

Edit: .....or maybe I should go back & continue Picross DS.

Top Bottom