• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2016

Pokemaniac

Nope, NoA for me works right out of the bat (Safari, Firefox).

I just tried logging in on a European game page, at least that still works the old buggy way.

Maybe they've changed it, but it was definitely necessary when the whole Nintendo Account thing launched.

PtM

Banned
Maybe they've changed it, but it was definitely necessary when the whole Nintendo Account thing launched.
Your browser maybe is too stringent, as long as cookies from the same second-level domain (*.nintendo.com) are allowed, it should work just fine.

Oh yeah, the NoE game pages kinda-work only on mobile, when you've disabled third-party cookies, btw.
Maybe. Firefox can be a bit security paranoid at times.
Works for me in Firefox, with third party cookies disabled.

Pokemaniac

Your browser maybe is too stringent, as long as cookies from the same second-level domain (*.nintendo.com) are allowed, it should work just fine.

Oh yeah, the NoE game pages kinda-work only on mobile, when you've disabled third-party cookies, btw.

Maybe. Firefox can be a bit security paranoid at times.

TheMoon

I guess if we're doing the roundup of stuff, I updated the DS list to reflect what's been released since the last time this was posted.

about that DS VC list:

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is out in Europe

Came out the same day as Phantom Hourglass after the TPHD announcement Direct to celebrate.

GCN VC could just require a GCN controller adapter.

Most Wii VC games required an extra controller and it was fine.

GCN VC also needs to emulate the memory card which is probably one of the key hindrances for it. Of course it could be done but I bet you it's part of why it's not happening.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think that's also part of the reason why some N64 games aren't on the VC as well, because they required the Controller Pak for saving.

TheMoon

I think that's also part of the reason why some N64 games aren't on the VC as well, because they required the Controller Pak for saving.

Those should be less of an issue since the whole game is emulated (which wouldn't be necessary for GCN VC since it can run natively like Wii games) but it's definitely also some kind of programming hurdle there since zero games with Controller Pak ever saving landed on VC.

Hilarion

Those should be less of an issue since the whole game is emulated (which wouldn't be necessary for GCN VC since it can run natively like Wii games) but it's definitely also some kind of programming hurdle there since zero games with Controller Pak ever saving landed on VC.

I would think that you'd just need to put some sort of "Only save using save states" warning screen before the game starts and you'd be good to go for N64 Controller Pak games.

TheMoon

I would think that you'd just need to put some sort of "Only save using save states" warning screen before the game starts and you'd be good to go for N64 Controller Pak games.

You know Nintendo doesn't think like that. :D

If you cannot use the in-game save feature, they'd never release that^^

Pokemaniac

If they've got the rumble pak emulated, then it shouldn't be too hard to expand that to the controller pak, since they must have gotten the controller communication protocol working at least to some level. Of course, the rumble pak would be much easier to take shortcuts with, since it's a much simpler device.

A lot left: 18 bolded, though I have no idea why he bolded N64 Animal Crossing, which was Japan only, so maybe I should unbold that. Even so, it's 17 titles.
Just like Animal Crossing, Custom Robo and its sequel were only released in Japan. Also, Tetrisphere is another licensed game since Tetris is a trademark of The Tetris Company.

Nah, that wouldn't work at all since you would only be able to have one save file even on games that originally had more, and even for single file games that wouldn't be convenient at all. Even on common emulators, saving and loading multiple save states is a quick way to lose "regular" saves, and you're even warned about this on Virtual Console (at least on Game Boy games, dunno about the rest). In any case, emulating the controller pack should be pretty easy.

foltzie1

You know Nintendo doesn't think like that. :D

If you cannot use the in-game save feature, they'd never release that^^

Nintendo seems to have gotten over his a bit with the GBA games. They at both edit Roms to include link based content and don't seem to worry about dead menu items like the ereader in SMB3 SMA4.

How is 1080 done on the Wii U VC? That needed the pack to save.

How is 1080 done on the Wii U VC? That needed the pack to save.
1080 didn't need the controlled pack to save. No N64 first party game did. For optional stuff like ghosts, etc, sure, but the controller pack was more a third party thing since batteries made the cartridges even more expensive than they already were. The closest thing I can think of to a first party game using it to save is Blast Corps, which let you have an additional save file on a controller pack since the cartridge only let you have the one.

1080 didn't need the controlled pack to save. I'm pretty damn sure no N64 first party game did. For optional stuff like ghosts, etc, sure, but not downright requiring the controller pack to save. The closest thing I can think of is Blast Corps which let you have an additional save file on a controller pack since the cartridge only let you have the one.

I remember needing to re-unlock everything every single thing every time I booted 1080, was something just wrong with my cart?

But it looks like it did save, hmm...

I remember needing to re-unlock everything every single thing every time I booted 1080, was something just wrong with my cart?

But it looks like it did save, hmm...
Yeah, it definitely saved so something must have been up with your cart. I don't think it even used the controller pack to save ghosts, like Mario Kart did. Maybe the battery was dead? But it shouldn't have been, specially if this was back then. I still have Game Boy and SNES carts with working batteries. Mine still has my super incredibly awesome hyper lucky and illuminated Half Pipe score record with Ricky Winterborn. Unless mine died since I last played. And now you got me scared to check. Nice going, balladofwindfishes, now I won't be able to sleep tonight -.-

Robin64

Free Kirby theme at Game.

TNg9gfm.png

And Disney Magical World 2 announced for European release on October 14th.

PtM

Banned
Yeah, it definitely saved so something must have been up with your cart. I don't think it even used the controller pack to save ghosts, like Mario Kart did. Maybe the battery was dead? But it shouldn't have been, specially if this was back then. I still have Game Boy and SNES carts with working batteries. Mine still has my super incredibly awesome hyper lucky and illuminated Half Pipe score record with Ricky Winterborn. Unless mine died since I last played. And now you got me scared to check. Nice going, balladofwindfishes, now I won't be able to sleep tonight -.-
N64 cartridges have an EEPROM, not a battery. It varies, apparently.

kulapik

A dumb little question: do the ratings displayed on the eShop belong only to a certain country or to all the region? Because here in Spain the latest games have very few reviews and ratings.

Pokemaniac

A dumb little question: do the ratings displayed on the eShop belong only to a certain country or to all the region? Because here in Spain the latest games have very few reviews and ratings.

They're definitely unique for the major regions (NA, EU, Japan). Not sure if it gets any more specific than that.

Keep in mind, that new releases can take some time to build up ratings since it requires that the game has been played for >= 1 hour.

-shadow-

Free Kirby theme at Game.

Please tell me this comes to the rest of Europe! :(

Question: if you get Donkey Kong 64 off the VC, can you use its Widescreen option?

I believe at 480p and 4:3 you can actually use the widescreen options by stretching the image yourself. Still wish Nintendo would finally put that stuff in their emulators that it stretches itself even at 1080p/16:9. But it's still Nintendo...

Pokemaniac

No. Well yes but it doesn't work. :)

Also, in their defense, making that work properly would probably involve reverse engineering how the game implements widescreen internally so they could have the emulator watch RAM addresses to figure out when it's being switched
(Or a manual toggle in the emulator menu I guess, but where's the fun in that?)
, since I'm pretty sure the hardware doesn't really know about the concept of "widescreen".

kulapik

They're definitely unique for the major regions (NA, EU, Japan). Not sure if it gets any more specific than that.

Keep in mind, that new releases can take some time to build up ratings since it requires that the game has been played for >= 1 hour.

Yeah, I assumed so, but I wonder if there's also a country rating separation.

N64 cartridges have an EEPROM, not a battery.
You see, now I feel incredibly stupid and saying "I knew that!" won't really do anything to make me feel better about myself or to clear my name somewhat, haha... ha... ^^u I really should stop posting so late at night.

Cubas

I asked this on the stupid gaming questions thread and they sent me here, so if you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated!

I have a canadian eshop account but want to buy a digital code for #FE on Amazon US, as I have a gift code there.

Will it work? Can I change my account region to US just to redeem de code?

zroid

Banned
I asked this on the stupid gaming questions thread and they sent me here, so if you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated!

I have a canadian eshop account but want to buy a digital code for #FE on Amazon US, as I have a gift code there.

Will it work? Can I change my account region to US just to redeem de code?

it will work and you don't have to change your region or anything. Canada and US can redeem the same game codes. Just not the same currency cards.

Mikurden

You see, now I feel incredibly stupid and saying "I knew that!" won't really do anything to make me feel better about myself or to clear my name somewhat, haha... ha... ^^u I really should stop posting so late at night.

No need to feel stupid, 12 US N64 game carts DO have batteries:
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot_save_faq.html#b100
1080º Snowboarding
F-Zero X
Harvest Moon 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The
Major League Baseball featuring Ken Griffey Jr.
Mario Golf
New Tetris, The
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Resident Evil 2
Super Smash Bros.
WCW/NWO Revenge
WWF: Wrestlemania 2000

(Furthermore, surprisingly enough, 1st-party controller paks use batteries.)

Ondore

Guessing there's no 3DS VC titles hitting tomorrow, just the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons games.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

(Seriously Nintendo, I already wrote the post for tomorrow and it's full enough, now you drop eight more games at midnight ET?)

PtM

Banned
No need to feel stupid, 12 US N64 game carts DO have batteries:
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot_save_faq.html#b100
1080º Snowboarding
F-Zero X
Harvest Moon 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The
Major League Baseball featuring Ken Griffey Jr.
Mario Golf
New Tetris, The
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Resident Evil 2
Super Smash Bros.
WCW/NWO Revenge
WWF: Wrestlemania 2000

(Furthermore, surprisingly enough, 1st-party controller paks use batteries.)
Wow, what a mess.

TheMoon

It would be so cool if Capcom remembered they had RE2 in N64 and put that on VC (and put RE2 remake on NX pls...).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm honestly surprised Mega Man 64 isn't on the VC, considering they actually managed to put both Legends games on PSN.

it will work and you don't have to change your region or anything. Canada and US can redeem the same game codes. Just not the same currency cards.

this is because the game codes region is "North America" region and not country-specific like currency ones right?

I was able to redeem the humble bundle codes even thou I live in mexico with a mexican account.

L~A

NA:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE – Slay monsters – and slay like a pop star – in this new RPG from acclaimed developer ATLUS. An interdimensional evil has invaded modern-day Tokyo, resulting in this fantastical mix of music, style and danger. Battle through dungeons to pump up your strategy and creatively destroy your foes ... before all hope fades to black.
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games – Experience the thrill of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games by competing with friends as gaming icons like Mario and Sonic. Prove you’re the star of the Games across 17 events, including full team sports: dominate the field in Football (soccer), have a ball in Beach Volleyball and be there for the Olympic Games debut of Rugby Sevens.
- Mighty No. 9 – Created by games industry legend Keiji Inafune and a veteran team of developers, Mighty No. 9 transforms classic side-scrolling action with modern tech and fresh mechanics across 12 challenging stages and dozens of mini missions. Face off against your eight Mighty brethren and steal their powers to unlock new transformations for hero Beck, granting him unique skills and abilities.

Virtual Console on Wii U

- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team / Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team – The world of Pokémon has fallen into a state of crisis, but heroic Pokémon are fighting back by banding together and forming rescue teams. Recruit wild Pokémon and lead your team to victory in a quest to save the world from some decidedly unnatural disasters.
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky – Be a Pokémon and experience the world in a new way! Learn more secrets of Time and Darkness, and journey with your friends on remarkable adventures to save the world.

Virtual Console on New Nintendo 3DS

- Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts – The third game in the Ghosts ’n Goblins series, Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts follows Arthur in another quest to rescue the princess. Take control of Arthur and defeat the creatures of the night to save the day once more. Discover what glory awaits those brave enough to take on the armies of Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

- 99Moves (Wii U), Darts Up 3D (Nintendo 3DS) and more from EnjoyUp Games are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 21.
- Sweetest Thing (Wii U), Jewel Match 3 (Nintendo 3DS) and more games from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 30.
- Turtle Tale (Nintendo 3DS and Wii U) is on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 30.
- Another World – 20th Anniversary Edition (Nintendo 3DS and Wii U) is on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 7.
- Citizens of Earth (Wii U), The Legend of Legacy (Nintendo 3DS) and more games from ATLUS are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 4.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

- Vector Assault is 20 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 30.
- Infinity Runner is more than 40 percent off (reduced from $6.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 7.
- Star Sky is 50 percent off (reduced from $4 to $2) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 7.
- Steel Rivals is more than 25 percent off (reduced from $6.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 30.
- Super Destronaut is 50 percent off (reduced from $1.99 to 99 cents) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 14.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

- Parking Star 3D, Quell Reflect and more from CIRCLE Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 14.
- Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 4.
- Snow Moto Racing 3D is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 30.

Activities:

Miiverse – Nintendo 3DS Summer Vacation Sweepstakes – Summer is a season of excitement, fun and outdoor exploration. Share how Nintendo 3DS/2DS systems and games will add some extra fun to your summer vacation for a chance to win a Nintendo 2DS system and six great digital Nintendo 3DS games! Click here for more details.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Open to legal residents of the US (incl. DC), 13 years or older. Promotion begins 10:00 AM PT on 6/20/16 and ends 10:00 PM PT on 7/11/16. To enter, post your Nintendo 3DS/2DS vacation idea in Miiverse or mail postcard as stated in Official Rules. Ten Grand Prize winners will each receive one (1) Nintendo 2DS system and one (1) download code for six Nintendo 3DS digital games (ARV US $229.93). Six First Prize winners will each receive one (1) download code for six Nintendo 3DS digital games (ARV US $149.94). For Official Rules, visit here.

Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:
Rhythm Heaven Megamix Costumed Tebiri
Rhythm Heaven Megamix Ringside

Also new this week:

- Splashy Duck (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
- Star Sky 2 (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
- Blackjack 21 (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
- Educational Pack of Kids Games (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
- Rubik’s Cube (Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS)
- Unholy Heights (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

Robin64

Any word on Majora's Mask's performance? I'm expecting it to pretty accurate, colours aside, and hopefully not like the GameCube version mess.

Top Bottom