• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2016

TheMoon

Come on TheMoon, post the full PR please!!!! (if you have it of course :D)

I don't get the PR. I just copy paste from whichever website posts it first.

GoN is taking too long this week so Nintendolife it is ...

#####################################

Wii U eShop
Dual Core (Gray Fin Studios, €9.99 / £8.99)
Pew! Pew! Pew! Dual Core is a vibrant, futuristic, ""twin-stick"" style, shooter, with a strong focus on local co-op multiplayer. It's 2147 and the human colony on Europa has suffered a terrible fate. Rebooting after hibernation, two super-intelligent AI cores awake to find themselves installed within a couple of old security drones. Their attempts to uncover what occurred may end up becoming a lower priority than merely surviving... Lots of robots, lots of lasers, lots of aliens, lots of explosions! The numerous retro arcade influences are front and center, but spiced up with a colorful modern style, a generous helping of sci-fi intrigue, and a dash of RPG ELEMENTS!

Rubik's Cube (Cypronia, €2.49 / £2.24 until 21st July for users who own Cube Life: Island Survival, otherwise €4.99 / £4.49)
The official Rubik’s Cube game is here! Play anywhere, anytime on the most authentic digital representation of the Rubik’s Cube available. Rubik's Cube is a 3-D combination puzzle invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture Ernő Rubik.

STEEL LORDS (nuGame, €14.99 / £10.99)
STEEL LORDS is a game of strategy and fighting, combining elements of a boardgame with elements of a fighting game. The factions of LIGHT and DARK are engaged in battle and you will be in charge of one of them.

SPLASHY DUCK (RCMADIAX, €1.49 / £1.39)
Save the DUCK from crashing into the WHALE! Endless FUN for EVERYONE! Help your hero DUCK by collecting the GOLD COINS while avoiding the EVIL WHALES! Experience the endless fun Off-TV on the Wii U GamePad controller or on the TV in glorious 1080p HD! Instant restart allows you to get back into the game quicker than ever!

Wii U Virtual Console
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99)
The countdown has begun! You have just three days to save the land of Termina from destruction by its own moon, which is being pulled out of its orbit by a mysterious evil force! In this epic sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Link is bestowed with magical masks to aid him in his quest. Transform into a Deku Scrub, a Goron and a Zora, using their abilities to fly through the air, roll across the land or swim through the sea! Link has only 72 hours to save Termina, however he can re-live the days again and again using the magical Song of Time, to gather the knowledge and skills he needs to solve the mystery of Majora's Mask. A gripping storyline, charming characters, dozens of masks to discover – and the first appearance of Tingle! – complete this acclaimed package!
[Lunar Note: This will be the PAL version because OoT is PAL too for obvious language selection reasons]

Nintendo Presents: Style Boutique (Nintendo, €9.99/ £8.99 )
Nintendo presents: Style Boutique challenges you to run your own fashion store as a style consultant, hand-pick your own stock, take part in Fashion Contests, choose new clothes from the online shop and even play against other consultants with multiplayer mode. Working your way up from shop assistant in a store, you can offer clothing advice and outfits for customers. With each customer having their own style and personality, you need to choose their clothes carefully to make a successful sale. Soon you’ll be the owner of your own store and using your creativity to style the mannequins, dictate the atmosphere by choosing the interior and music, create promotional Mailouts and decide when to hold sales. Each sale brings extra funds into the store enabling you to buy more stock.

Wii U Retail Download
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE (Nintendo, €59.99/ £49.99) Available from 24th June.
Two worlds. One heroic destiny. Once there was a group of young people who had no idea of the awesome powers they possessed. Meanwhile, in another dimension, a collection of heroes had lost all purpose and sense of themselves. Now, that’s all about to change… In Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, a unique RPG for Wii U, budding stars of the stage and screen from Tokyo team up with legendary warriors from the world of Fire Emblem against the forces of darkness.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, €49.99/ £39.99) Available from 24th June.
Let the games begin! The worlds of Mario and Sonic come together once more for 17 exciting events in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Taking place in Rio de Janeiro, host city of the Games of the XXXI Olympiad, this instalment in the series features over 30 playable characters, the ability to play as your Mii, and plenty of frantic four-player multiplayer action to enjoy with friends and family, including the new Duel Events, which give familiar sports a classic Mario & Sonic twist.

Mighty No. 9 (Deep Silver, €19.99/ £17.99) Available from 24th June.
You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one immune to a mysterious virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk. Run, jump, blast, and transform your way through 12 challenging stages using abilities stolen from your enemies to take down your fellow Mighty Number robots and confront the final evil that threatens the planet!

Wii U DLC
Minecraft: Wii U Edition Update (Mojang, free) - Will include the Battle mode feature. Available from 21st June.
Minecraft: Wii U Edition: Battle Map Pack 1 (Mojang, €2.99 / £2.39)
Minecraft: Wii U Edition: Battle Map Season Pass (Mojang, €9.99 / £7.99)
Minecraft is a game about placing blocks and going on adventures. Explore randomly-generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles. Play in Creative Mode with unlimited resources or mine deep into the world in survival mode, crafting weapons and armour to fend off the dangerous mobs. Craft, create, and explore alone, or with up to four players in split-screen and up to eight online.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - Tokyo Millennium Collection (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - Mirage Hunter (EXP) (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - Mirage Hunter (Mastery) (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - Mirage Hunter (Savage Festival) (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - 3 Support Quest Set (Nintendo, €4.99 / £4.49)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - Atlus Collaboration Costume Set (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79)

Mighty No. 9 - Ray Expansion (Deep Silver, €4.99 / £3.99)

SDK Paint - Slideshows Pack 1 (HullBreach Studios, €0.50/ £0.50)
SDK Paint - Slideshows Pack 2 (HullBreach Studios, €0.50/ £0.50)
SDK Paint - Slideshows Pack 3 (HullBreach Studios, €0.50/ £0.50)
SDK Paint - Total Slideshows Pack (HullBreach Studios, €1.25/ £1.09)
SDK Paint takes a unique approach to Wii U artwork creation, by stacking five layers onto the artwork canvas. Each layer can be utilised independently to create the next masterpiece. By combining the artistic modes (Normal Paint, Noisy Paint, Smudge, and Spraycan), the numerous filters (Blur, Negate, Lighten, Darken, etc.), the shaders (Pattern Fill, Flood Fill, Texture, etc.), and the tools (Gridlines, Stencils, Drag, Swap, etc.), possibilities of what the stylus can paint onto the canvas are endless. Oops, a mistake... Ten levels of Undo will help with that! The artwork needs fine precision? Just zoom the canvas! A large colour palette, with dragging support, lets artists easily choose exactly the colour desired, and a Dropper tool makes identifying previous colours a simple task. The features don't just end with painting, either! How does the artwork look on a wall? Explore the retro 3D Galleries to see all 18 paintings framed on the walls. Is the artwork ready to show off? Jump into the Sharing area and prepare it for either 2D or anaglyph 3D (special glasses required) posting of screenshots to Miiverse. Show the world your inner artist. SDK Paint supports 3D viewing by use of anaglyph 3D glasses. While these are not required, they do enhance the experience.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts
VoxelMaker (Nostatic Software, €3.59 / £2.79 until 30th June, normally €4.49 / £3.49)
Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Digital Lounge, €2.35 / £2.15 until 7th July, normally €7.99 / £7.19)

Wii U eShop Permanent Discount (From 24th June)
Devil's Third (Nintendo, €29.99 / £24.99, was €59.99 / £49.99) WOOOO!

3DS eShop
Unholy Heights (Bergsala Lightweight, €5.99 / £5.39)
Unholy Heights is a combination of Tower Defense strategy and Apartment Management Simulation. Sucker monsters into moving into your building, charge them rent and keep them happy by buying them furniture. Heroes will attempt to attack your apartments so when they do, call on your monsters to take them out!

Conveni Dream (CIRCLE Entertainment, €5.00 / £4.50)
Conveni Dream is a game that simulates running a shop. You are the new owner of the convenience store. Your target is to import goods for selling and enlarge the store. As the owner, your work is busy, from stocking the shelf and goods to dealing with customer's troubles. During a year, you need to deal with lots of events and quests. But your reliable shop assistants will help you out. Attract more customers by placing your best goods and earn money and EXP to level up your store to an awesome shop. When the shop level is raised, the available activities are increased and more items can be placed. Step up to build your own specific convenience store!

Rubik's Cube (Cypronia, €4.99 / £4.49)
The official Rubik’s Cube game is here! Play anywhere, anytime on the most authentic digital representation of the Rubik’s Cube available. Rubik's Cube is a 3-D combination puzzle invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture Ernő Rubik.

3DS DLC
Fire Emblem Fates: Map 8 Vanguard Dawn (Nintendo, Add-On Content) - €1.99/£1.79
If you remember the "Elincia's Gambit" stage from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, this map might seem familiar to you! Standing firm against its waves of opponents could prove to be a tough challenge!

Maps can be purchased and played from the Dragon's Gate, which will be available after reaching a certain point in the game. If you have already purchased Map Pack 1, you can download this map by going to the Dragon's Gate and selecting "Purchase DLC." Download the map and it will then be available to play.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts
Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Digital Lounge, €2.35 / £2.15 until 7th July, normally €7.99 / £7.19)
Shingeki no Kyojin: Humanity in Chains (Atlus, €14.99 / £12.00 until 7th July, normally €29.99 / £34.99)
Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, €3.99 / £3.59 until 30th June, normally €7.99 / £7.19)
Parking Star 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €1.99 / £1.69 until 14th July, normally €2.99 / £2.49)
Quell Reflect (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.79 / £2.19 until 14th July, normally €3.99 / £3.19)
Swords & Soldiers 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €3.99 / £3.29 until 14th July, normally €6.99 / £5.59)
Demon King Box (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.99 / £2.39 until 14th July, normally €3.99 / £3.19)
Space Lift Danger Panic! (Springloaded, €0.80 / £0.65 until 30th June for users who own Heart Beaten, or €1.65 / £1.29 until 30th June, normally €2.49 / £1.99)
Heart Beaten (Springloaded, €1.09/ £1.00 until 30th June for users who own Space Lift Danger Panic!, or €2.33 / £2.00 until 30th June, normally €3.49 / £2.99)

Nintendo Selects - available from 24th June
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo, €19.99 / £15.99)
LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins (Nintendo, €19.99 / £15.99)
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros (Nintendo, €19.99 / £15.99
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo, €19.99 / £15.99)
Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique (Nintendo, €19.99 / £15.99)

3DS Demos
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, free)
All of your favourite Mario and Sonic characters are ready to join the fun in Rio de Janeiro, host of the Olympic Games in 2016. Then take the rivalry on the road with this portable collection of supercharged events like Soccer, Table Tennis, or test your skills in a challenging game of Golf.

Teddy Together (Nintendo, free)
Become best friends with a teddy bear brought to life in Teddy Together, only on Nintendo 3DS family systems. Take care of a special teddy bear who can talk, walk and play games in a title that’s ideal for parents and children to play together. Who hasn’t dreamed of their favourite toy coming to life?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh snap, the Atlus costumes for TMS is a day one release? Damn it, those were a first-print bonus for Japan. Don't think it's the same for US & EU, nor as a LE bonus.

I don't spend money on costumes that don't affect gameplay, but it's slightly tempting.....

Edit: Nevermind, LE gets all 5 DLC packs, including the Atlus costumes, yay.

maxcriden

Hey, that's pretty exciting! Never got to play this back in the day. Hope it's releasing in NA this week too.

Just my two cents, but please consider playing the 3DS remake instead. It makes for a much less obtuse experience, IMO, without being handholdy or anything.

Shizza

Just my two cents, but please consider playing the 3DS remake instead. It makes for a much less obtuse experience, IMO, without being handholdy or anything.

I would love to play a bunch of the games that got upgraded versions on the 3DS, but I haven't had a handheld since the GameBoy Color days. I've been considering grabbing one, but I already have too many games and not enough time to play them all, and also prefer playing on the TV. Looking ahead, if the NX console and handheld share a software library I would certainly jump in. I appreciate the recommendation though!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there anything special I must do to transfer my saves from a physical copy to the digital copy of the game?

I just did this for Splatoon. When I downloaded it last week, they just merged the save file with the digital download and update data.

So to answer your question: They do it for you. You don't have to do anything special.

Pokemaniac

Is there anything special I must do to transfer my saves from a physical copy to the digital copy of the game?

On Wii U, either everything will just work, or you'll run into one of the uncommon cases where the physical and digital versions are considered separate games and you'll be screwed.

On 3DS, there's a save transfer app on the eShop.

Phoenixus

If you mean 3DS games, there's a save transfer tool downloadable from the eshop, you'll need to have the physical copy of the game slotted in and the downloadable version of it already on the system to transfer save data. Wii U's save data is on the console, so no switching needed.

wilflare

I just did this for Splatoon. When I downloaded it last week, they just merged the save file with the digital download and update data.

So to answer your question: They do it for you. You don't have to do anything special.

On Wii U, either everything will just work, or you'll run into one of the uncommon cases where the physical and digital versions are considered separate games and you'll be screwed.

On 3DS, there's a save transfer app on the eShop.

If you mean 3DS games, there's a save transfer tool downloadable from the eshop, you'll need to have the physical copy of the game slotted in and the downloadable version of it already on the system to transfer save data. Wii U's save data is on the console, so no switching needed.

thanks folks! I was referring to 3DS (should have made myself clear, sorry!)
btw - does this also mean if I were to sell my 3DS physical games, I would need to delete my save data manually too

Pokemaniac

thanks folks! I was referring to 3DS (should have made myself clear, sorry!)
btw - does this also mean if I were to sell my 3DS physical games, I would need to delete my save data manually too

IIRC, 3DS carts have their save data wiped after it is transferred to a digital copy.

If you're not transferring the data, then you'll have to delete it manually.

k91191

IIRC, 3DS carts have their save data wiped after it is transferred to a digital copy.

If you're not transferring the data, then you'll have to delete it manually.

Except if you own Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D. Can't delete that save data at all!

-shadow-

Except if you own Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D. Can't delete that save data at all!

While this is correct, corrupting the save data however is surprisingly easy. Just eject the cartridge while saving. Managed to delete my save file that way.

Hilarion

Funny thing about this list:

The only NES game he has bolded (in English with no license problems) is Gumshoe. The other four bolded games plus the unbolded Mother 1 are all on the VC now.

His original commentary left in, released games removed:

NES
F-1 Race - Unlikely due to license
Kung-Fu Master - Unlikely due to the license (was based on a Jackie Chan movie)
Stack-up - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.
Gyromite - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.
Gumshoe
Nazo no Murasame Jo - Japan only
Pro Wrestling
Slalom - Actually unsure about this. Was made by Rare.
Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race - Japan Only
Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally - Japan Only
R.C. Pro-Am - Same as Slalom
Famicom Wars - Japan Only
Tetris - Licensing
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - Japan only
Cobra Triangle - Same as Slalom
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting - Licensing issues
NES Play Action Football - North America only
Snake Rattle 'n' Roll - Same as Slalom & Mattel Licensing issues
Pin-Bot - Same as Slalom
Nintendo World Cup - Japan Only
Time Twist: On the Outskirts of History... - Japan Only
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Japan Only
Fire Emblem Gaiden - Japan Only
Yoshi's Cookie - Weird Licensing Issues
Joy Mech Fight - Japan Only

Pretty short NES list, right?

Let's move onto SNES. His list is still entirely intact: the only SNES release at all since he did this was Pac Man 2, which wasn't on the list to begin with, as a Capcom game.

SNES
SimCity - Will never happen. Got removed off the Wii Virtual Console due to EA.
Mario Paint - Unlikely (Mouse required)
Super Scope 6 - Unlikely (Super Scope required)
Battle Clash - Unlikely (Super Scope required)
Super Play Action Football - NA Only. Unlikely due to license
World League Basketball - Unlikely due to license
StarFox - Super FX chip makes it unlikely
Yoshi's Safari - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)
Super Mario All-Stars - I don't think this is likely, unfortunately
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)
Super Hockey - Unlikely due to license
Super Tennis
Mario & Wario - Unlikely (Japan only and Mouse required)
Stunt Race FX - Super FX chip makes it unlikely
Tin Star - North America Only
Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball - NA Only. Unlikely due to license
Uniracers - Not going to happen due to lawsuit by Pixar
Wario's Woods - We got the NES version
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Japan only
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Super FX chip makes it unlikely
Kirby's Ghost Trap
Super Mario RPG (Requires Square Enix to pull their foot out)
Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run - Unlikely due to license
Tetris Attack - Though Tetris moniker may make it unlikely.
Kirby's Star Stacker
Wrecking Crew '98 - Japan only. Unlikely.
Super Famicom Wars - Japan only
Sutte Hakkun - Japan Only
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Japan only

Highly doubt any of these others will hit NA, possibly excepting SMRPG, which I think is just a matter of time since the EU got it.

GBA: Quite a few to remove from the list here: NA has had a ton of GBA releases since this list, including Super Mario Advance, Kuru Kuru Kururin (not bolded on his list), Game and Watch Gallery 4, Super Mario Advance 2, Advance Wars 2, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Super Mario Advance 4, Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones, Drill Dozer, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team (announced for Thursday).

GBA
Magical Vacation - Japan only
Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey & Minnie - Unlikely (License)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords
Tomato Adventure - Japan only
Domo-Kun no Fushigi Terebi - Japan only
Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu! - Japan only
Fire Emblem: Fuin no Tsurugi - Japan only
Sakura Momoko no Ukiuki Carnival - Japan only
Custom Robo GX - Japan only
Densetsu no Stafy - Japan only
Kururin Paradise - Japan only
Donkey Kong Country
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (Licensing)
Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue (Licensing)
Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire - Never going to happen
Sword of Mana (Requires Square Enix)
Top Gear Rally - Unlikely due to licensing
Mother 1 + 2 - Japan only
Densetsu no Stafy 2 - Japan only
Donkey Kong Country 2
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (Requires Square Enix)
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games (Licensing)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen - Not going to happen
Densetsu no Stafy 3 - Japan only
F-Zero Climax - Japan only
Donkey Kong Country 3
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
Dynasty Warriors Advance - Requires Tecmo Koei
Final Fantasy IV Advance - Requires Square Enix
Pokémon Emerald - Not going to happen
WarioWare: Twisted! - Tilt control could make it tricky
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy - Tilt control could make it tricky
Sennen Kazoku - Japan only
Nonono Puzzle Chalien - Japan only
Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays - Japan only
Mother 3 - Japan only
Calciobit - Japan only

Just four bolded games left!

I'll also do his N64 list. N64 VC was apparently not even a thing when he started.

N64
Pilotwings 64
Shadows Of The Empire - Licensing
Cruis'n USA - Licensing
Killer Instinct Gold - Rare
Wave Race 64
Mario Kart 64

Mischief Makers - Don't own the rights
Bomberman 64 - Don't own the rights
Blast Corps - Rare
Star Fox 64
GoldenEye 007 - Never going to happen
Tetrisphere
Diddy Kong Racing - Rare
F-Zero X
Bomberman Hero - Don't own rights
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside - Licensing
Banjo-Kazooie - Rare
Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey, Jr. - Licensing
Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics - Licensing
Mario Party
Cruis'n World - Don't own the rights
Pocket Monsters' Stadium - Won't happen
Hey You, Pikachu! - Mic Issues
Pokémon Snap
Custom Robo
Pokémon Stadium
Super Smash Bros.
Jet Force Gemini - Rare
Command & Conquer 64 - Don't own rights
NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant - Licensing
Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Slugfest - Licensing
The New Tetris
Mario Party 2
Ridge Racer 64- Don't own rights
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Pokémon Puzzle League
Excitebike 64
Perfect Dark - Rare
Banjo-Tooie - Rare
Custom Robo V2
Pokémon Stadium 2
Mickey's Speedway USA - Licensing
Mario Party 3
Dr. Mario 64
Animal Crossing

A lot left: 18 bolded, though I have no idea why he bolded N64 Animal Crossing, which was Japan only, so maybe I should unbold that. Even so, it's 17 titles.

The Wii list is too time-consuming for now, so I'll come back to it. Nevertheless, I think this gives a pretty compelling case that Nintendo of America is running out of first party titles in English for the NES, SNES, or GBA to put on the VC, so either third parties step up or the VC will be mostly DS and Wii titles from here on out (not that that would be horrible, as both of those have solid libraries to stick on there). Also what the hell, NA, regarding the N64 library. Sure, not all of the bolded are winners, but Pilotwings, Wave Race, Mario Parties 2-3, Star Fox 64, the original Smash, and Pokemon Snap would all be at least somewhat popular on the VC. That's 7 games right there.

Huh so every NES, SNES and GBA game that I would want and can realistically release in my region are already available.
Okay, roll on GC and more DS VC in the next gen!

Good job btw.

Hilarion

Huh so every NES, SNES and GBA game that I would want and can realistically release in my region are already available.
Okay, roll on GC and more DS VC in the next gen!

Good job btw.

I wonder if their N64 emulator is just particularly unwieldy and hard to program for. Even companies like Capcom, Natsume, and Konami (yes, Konami) that have been very supportive of NES, SNES, and GBA VC haven't touched the N64 ones, and both could release a bunch of worthwhile titles for that system. And, of course, if Square-Enix decided to really open the taps on their titles, they could dump a ton of quality stuff onto the VC for a number of systems. But yes, we're nearing the end of first-party NES, SNES, or GBA stuff that's in English, and as much as I'd want it, they're never going to translate the Japanese-only Fire Emblems or anything for the VC.

I'll take a stab at his Wii list tonight. Still lots of stuff for that system.

I get the feeling that the only reason that the Wii U doesn't have Gamecube VC is because it doesn't have analog triggers, which is really silly because how many games on the Gamecube actually used that functionality besides Mario Sunshine?

Ondore

Even companies like Capcom, Natsume, and Konami (yes, Konami) that have been very supportive of NES, SNES, and GBA VC haven't touched the N64 ones, and both could release a bunch of worthwhile titles for that system.

By my count, Capcom would have two games available, and while Konami would have six I can only recall half of them off the top of my head (the two Goemon games and Hybird Heaven, referring to NA only).

I actually looked into this a bit last year around when Rare Replay released: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/40926/temper-your-expectations-for-n64-virtual-console

Hilarion

By my count, Capcom would have two games available, and while Konami would have six I can only recall half of them off the top of my head (the two Goemon games and Hybird Heaven, referring to NA only).

I actually looked into this a bit last year around when Rare Replay released: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/40926/temper-your-expectations-for-n64-virtual-console

Konami would have the Goemon games, Hybrid Heaven, the two Castlevania games, and the three (four in Japan) Bomberman games for the N64 (remember, they own Hudson now).

Also, whatever this is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Soldier:_Vanishing_Earth It was apparently released in NA in 1998, but I'd never heard of it.

Hilarion

Wii List. Same deal as before, original poster's comments are still in. My own comments in brackets. Also, this is an NA list, although there's very few Wii games out in NA and not in EU (Super Paper Mario, Mario Super Sluggers, and Trauma Team are the only in NA and not in EU)

Wii
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [Remake, will not come out]
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Mario Party 8
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Pokémon Battle Revolution
Mario Strikers Charged [Out in Europe]
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption [Covered by Trilogy]
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Battalion Wars 2
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Link's Crossbow Training
Eyeshield 21: The Field's Greatest Warriors - Unlikely (Japan only)
Endless Ocean
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Fit
Wario Land: Shake It! [Out in Europe]
Wii Music
Animal Crossing: City Folk

Wii Chess
Minna no Joushiki Ryoku TV - Unlikely (Japan only)
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen - Unlikely (Japan only)
Captain Rainbow - Unlikely (Japan only)
Disaster: Day of Crisis
New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
New Play Control! Pikmin
Excitebots: Trick Racing
New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit Plus
New Super Mario Bros. Wii [Out in Europe]
Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories

Takt of Magic (Japan only)
New Play Control! Chibi-Robo - Unlikely (Japan only)
Minna ga Shuyaku no NHK Kouhaku Quiz Kassen - Unlikely (Japan only)
Endless Ocean: Blue World
Metroid: Other M [Out in Europe...lucky them]
Wii Party
Kirby's Epic Yarn [Out in Europe]
Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition - I see it as unlikely

Zangeki no Reginleiv- Unlikely (Japan only)
Ando Kensaku- Unlikely (Japan only)
Mario Sports Mix [Out in Europe]
Wii Play: Motion
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Fortune Street - Would require Square Enix
Rhythm Heaven Fever
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond
Mario Party 9
New Play Control! Pikmin 2
Kirby's Dream Collection [Unlikely: every Kirby game in the collection is available on eShop]
The Last Story
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition

Kiki Trick (Japan only)

37 bolded, not counting Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario All Stars, Kirby's Dream Collection, and Twilight Princess, which are all redundant. 5 of the 37 are already out in Europe.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm rather surprised stuff like Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Fire Emblem, etc. hasn't been added since I'm sure they'd sell rather well. Especially Fire Emblem given its surge in popularity.

RiggyRob

I'm rather surprised stuff like Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Fire Emblem, etc. hasn't been added since I'm sure they'd sell rather well. Especially Fire Emblem given its surge in popularity.

Maybe they're waiting until Gamecube VC to bring both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn together
(one can hope)

Speaking of which, how many series have had a sequel release before the original on VC? Only Super Mario Galaxy 2 right?

Hilarion

I think that they might be concerned that Brawl or Mario Kart Wii on the eShop might threaten their current gen iterations...?

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone here, but it might make sense to Nintendo.

JoeM86

The only NES game he has bolded (in English with no license problems) is Gumshoe. The other four bolded games plus the unbolded Mother 1 are all on the VC now.

Let's move onto SNES. His list is still entirely intact: the only SNES release at all since he did this was Pac Man 2, which wasn't on the list to begin with, as a Capcom game.

Highly doubt any of these others will hit NA, possibly excepting SMRPG, which I think is just a matter of time since the EU got it.

GBA: Quite a few to remove from the list here: NA has had a ton of GBA releases since this list, including Super Mario Advance, Kuru Kuru Kururin (not bolded on his list), Game and Watch Gallery 4, Super Mario Advance 2, Advance Wars 2, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Super Mario Advance 4, Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones, Drill Dozer, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team (announced for Thursday).

I'll also do his N64 list. N64 VC was apparently not even a thing when he started.

A lot left: 18 bolded, though I have no idea why he bolded N64 Animal Crossing, which was Japan only, so maybe I should unbold that. Even so, it's 17 titles.

The Wii list is too time-consuming for now, so I'll come back to it. Nevertheless, I think this gives a pretty compelling case that Nintendo of America is running out of first party titles in English for the NES, SNES, or GBA to put on the VC, so either third parties step up or the VC will be mostly DS and Wii titles from here on out (not that that would be horrible, as both of those have solid libraries to stick on there). Also what the hell, NA, regarding the N64 library. Sure, not all of the bolded are winners, but Pilotwings, Wave Race, Mario Parties 2-3, Star Fox 64, the original Smash, and Pokemon Snap would all be at least somewhat popular on the VC. That's 7 games right there.

You saved me some work. Thanks :p

Link_enfant

Wow, did Nintendo France/Europe announce this huge redesign update?
I've just opened their website and wow.
Definitely better than the old version though!

Link_enfant

Who announces website redesigns? :D

I know it doesn't happen really often, but Nintendo tends to announce this kind of things so the users aren't confused, especially when you can now buy digital games on their website.
Not that they're doing it wrong, it just surprises me a little bit knowing their habits.

Whoa the website looks amazing, they finally modelled it after the Japanese one.

I only really visited weekly for Platinum Coins, will start visiting because I actually want to now.

Nairume

Banned
I guess if we're doing the roundup of stuff, I updated the DS list to reflect what's been released since the last time this was posted.

Much as with the N64 list, the follow games represent DS games published in North America by publishers supporting the WiiU virtual console (those being Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, KoeiTecmo, Namco, and Natsume).

As a note, only Nintendo has put out DS virtual console titles to date. While it's probably unlikely that we'll see third party ds vc releases at this point, it's not impossible. As such, I'll leave the list of possible 3rd party titles around.

Games in bold should have nothing keeping them off the service
Games in italics have potential issues that could keep them off the service
Games in neither italics or bold have definitive issues that prevent them from showing up or have been outright deconfirmed (I don't think this has happened with any DS games, but it has explicitly happened for other platforms)

***Already on the service or announced for it***

Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
DK: Jungle Climber
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario Kart DS
Mary Party DS
Metroid Prime Hunters
New Super Mario Bros
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Star Fox Command
Style Savvy
Wario: Master of Disguise
WarioWare Touched
Yoshi's Island DS
Yoshi's Touch'n'Go
Zelda Phantom Hourglass

Nintendo
Animal Crossing: Wild World- Released in Europe
Art Academy
Brain Age 2
Chibi Robo: Park Patrol
Children of Mana - Published by Nintendo but still a SquareEnix game. Up to SquareEnix
Clubhouse Games
Crosswords DS
Custom Robo Arena
Diddy Kong Racing DS- Rare/Microsoft owned characters were removed from this remake, so is likely safe to rerelease under the same conditions it happened in the first place
Electroplankton
Elite Beat Agents- licensed music
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon- Released in Japan and Europe
Flash Focus
Fossil Fighters
Game & Watch Collection- Club Nintendo reward that was never officially sold. Could show up, but unlikely.
Game & Watch Collection 2- see above
Hotel Dusk
Glory of Hercules
Kirby Canvas Curse- Released in Japan and Europe
Kirby Mass Attack- Released in Japan and Europe
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Last Window
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Legendary Starfy
Magical Starsign
Magnetica
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 - Released in Japan and Europe
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
Master of Illusion
Metroid Prime Pinball
Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir
Nintendogs (numerous versions)
Personal Trainer: Cooking
Personal Trainer: Walking
Picross 3D
Picross DS
Planet Puzzle League
Pokemon Black/White- Unlikely, but we now have Gen 1 on the VC
Pokemon Black/White 2- Unlikely, but we now have Gen 1 on the VC
Pokemon Conquest
Pokemon Dash
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum- Unlikely, but we now have Gen 1 on the VC
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver- Unlikely, but we now have Gen 1 on the VC
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time- Sky has been announced for NA, but not the others
Pokemon Ranger- Released in Japan and Europe
Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs- Released in Europe
Pokemon Ranger:Shadows of Almia- Released in Europe
Pokemon Trozei!
Polarium
Rhythm Heaven
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games- Licensing
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games- Licensing
Super Mario 64 DS- Released in Europe
Super Princess Peach
Trace Memory
Tenchu: Dark Secrets- May have licensing issues?
Tetris DS- Won't happen while Ubisoft is publishing Tetris
True Swing Golf
WarioWare D.I.Y.- Possible, but unlikely due to lack of internet functionality removing a big element of the game

Capcom
Mega Man Battle Network 5 While there's nothing stopping Capcom from putting it on there, they certainly won't due to them selling the GBA versions separately
Mega Man Star Force (three different versions)
Mega Man Star Force 2 (two different versions)
Mega Man Star Force 3 (two different versions)
Mega Man Zero Collection- While there's nothing stopping Capcom from putting it on there, they certainly won't due to them selling the games separately
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent
Neopets Puzzle Adventure- Licensed
Okamiden
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Sally's Salon- licensed
Tropix- licensed
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

KoeiTecmo

Dynasty Warriors DS: Fighter's Battle
Monster Racers
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Pop Cutie: Street Fashion Simulation
Prey the Stars
TecmoBowl DS- No licensing issues due to original teams

Konami
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Contra 4
Death, Jr. and the Science Fair of Doom
Diary Girl
Dragon Booster- licensing
Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero
Frogger: Helmet Chaos
GoPets Vacation Island- licensing
Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits
Let's Pilates
Let's Yoga
Lost in Blue
Lost in Blue 2
Lost in Blue 3
Lunar Knights
Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times
Marvel Trading Card Game- Licensing
My Frogger Toy Trials
New International Track & Field- licensing
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008- licensing
Pro Evolution Soccer 6- licensing
Rock Revolution- licensing music
Steel Horizon
Suikoden Tierkreis
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare- Licensing
Time Ace
Time Hollow
Winx Club: Mission Echantrix- licensing
Winx Club: The Quest for the Codex- licensing
WireWay
Xiaolin Showdown- licensing
Yu-Gi-oh! 5D's Stardust Accelerator WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2009
Yu-Gi-oh! 5D's World Championship 2010
Yu-Gi-oh! 5D's World Championship 2011
Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Monsters: Nightmare Trubadour
Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008
Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Monsters GX: Spirit Summoner

Namco
Digimon World: Dawn/Dusk
Inuyasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel- licensing
Mage Knight: Destiny's Soldier- Licensing issues
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
Namco Museum DS
Pac-man World 3
Pac'n Roll
Pac Pix
Point Blank
Power Rangers Samurai- licensing
Puzzle Quest- D3 Published, so maybe?
Puzzle Quest Galactrix- D3 published, so maybe?
Real Time Conflict: Shogun Empires
Ridge Racer DS
QuickSpot

Natsume
Harvest Moon Frantic Farming
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar
Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness
Harvest Moon Sunshine Island
Hi Hamtaro! Little Hamsters Big Adventure- Licensing
Lufia: Curse of the Sinestrals
Princess Debut
Puzzle de Harvest Moon
River King: Mystic Valley
Rune Factory
Rune Factory 2
Rune Factory 3

Notes:
-This list includes numerous titles that are education/personal training software. These games certainly won't be put on the service, but there's nothing particularly stopping any of the publishers in question from putting them on there given similar software does exist on the eshop.

-Previously, this list outright discounted the idea of the mainline Pokemon games turning up on the service because there was no precedent for it and it seemed like the Nintendo/TPC stance on it was a big fat "no". Since then, all four gen 1 pokemon games have been released on the 3DS. While there is always the important context that those were release for the franchise's 20th anniversary, it does mean that the other main games could follow. I'd still say it's incredibly unlikely that we'll see the DS games get put up for the WiiU VC service, but it's not as impossible as previously thought.

-Despite being owned by Namco and often publishing stuff for them, I've largely left D3 published games off the list, since they were almost all licensed games. The main exception I've made was Blue Dragon: Awakened Soul, since that was co-developed by Namco and published directly by them everywhere but in NA (rather than through D3 as Namco's proxy). I've also rolled Puzzle Quest, Puzzle Quest Galactrix, and Bangai-Oh Spirits into Namco because those are the only remaining D3 games that aren't licensed.

-We've finally had a SquareEnix game (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance) released on the American WiiU virtual console since I first made this list, albeit one that was published by Nintendo. While that could suggest we might see them throwing more support behind the VC, I will refrain from putting them in the list until we start seeing them release more stuff.

maxcriden

I would love to play a bunch of the games that got upgraded versions on the 3DS, but I haven't had a handheld since the GameBoy Color days. I've been considering grabbing one, but I already have too many games and not enough time to play them all, and also prefer playing on the TV. Looking ahead, if the NX console and handheld share a software library I would certainly jump in. I appreciate the recommendation though!

I hear ya! I guess I would just say then, that for MM3D at least, since you've waited this long to play MM and already have a lot of games to play, I would recommend considering waiting a bit to purchase it until you see what the NX situation is and if you do end up picking up a HH. Just my two cents. I really strongly believe the 3DS version is a massive improvement over the original and just want you to get to play it the most fun way possible. :) (And who knows, perhaps NX will offer 3DS games on your TV by means of eShop or VC!)

This is excellently helpful, thank you so much for revising the list.

I wonder what the hold-up is with the two Kirby SNES puzzlers. Strange. I also agree that Tetris may not come due to licensing issues. Unraveling old Tetris rights is a brain teaser in and of itself.

Just a note about GBA, Pokémon FR/LG and Ruby/Sapphire can be amended from never going to happen to entirely possible now that mainline PokéVC is a thing.

DKC adds a time attack and a hero mode, DKC2 adds a time attack (different kind from DKC's) and DKC3 adds a new world of levels, and they all add new minigames, but otherwise they are much the same--with the latter, it's much like the SMB3 vs. SMA4 difference, or the DKCR vs. DKCR3D difference.

About no GCN VC, mentioned in your other post. Around the time of the Wii U launch, an NA VP or something mentioned it was a thing or was in the works. Unsure if they misspoke, but assuming they didn't, I agree that analog functionality is the likely culprit.

Via Reddit:

SMS: controls water pressure using FLUDD

Luigi's Mansion: controls vacuum pressure both in and out

Melee: light shield vs full shield, useful for grabbing OOS and feinting.

of course, you mentioned racing games.

Prime: not as big, but you can have your arm cannon half-drawn so you don't need to fully click down to start shooting or charging, it's like readying your gun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/2sy3ge/are_there_even_a_list_of_gamecube_games_that/

This is a partial list from what I can tell, but those are some major GCN games to the point where it seems like it wouldn't be worth it to release GCN VC if they had to exclude those.

PtM

Banned
Wow, did Nintendo France/Europe announce this huge redesign update?
I've just opened their website and wow.
Definitely better than the old version though!
It's worse for those who don't allow third-party cookies, I can't login at all anymore. Before, the login via accounts.nintendo.com eventually used to temporarily leave me logged in, not always, and only for the current page. It was enough to reap the MyN reward or start a purchase, but yesterday the earlier wouldn't work anymore, I had to go to Nintendo.com directly. So it's looking bad for eshop purchases as well.

Pokemaniac

It's worse for those who don't allow third-party cookies, I can't login at all anymore. Before, the login via accounts.nintendo.com eventually used to temporarily leave me logged in, not always, and only for the current page. It was enough to reap the MyN reward or start a purchase, but yesterday the earlier wouldn't work anymore, I had to go to Nintendo.com directly. So it's looking bad for eshop purchases as well.

The NoA site has been like this for a while. I've been adding all the various Nintendo sites as exceptions where all cookies are allowed.

PtM

Banned
The NoA site has been like this for a while. I've been adding all the various Nintendo sites as exceptions where all cookies are allowed.
Huh? Allowing third-party cookies is a browser-side option. NoA works because it's on the same main domain as the accounts site. And somehow logging in on European Nintendo pages still used to work occasionally, even if only for the currently loaded page.

Pokemaniac

Huh? Allowing third-party cookies is a browser-side option. NoA works because it's on the same main domain as the accounts site. And somehow logging in on European Nintendo pages still used to work occasionally, even if only for the currently loaded page.

I've had to allow 3rd party cookies to get it to work properly on the NoA site. However, I didn't do it globally, I just allowed them for that site (and several other Nintendo sub-domains).

PtM

Banned
I've had to allow 3rd party cookies to get it to work properly on the NoA site. However, I didn't do it globally, I just allowed them for that site (and several other Nintendo sub-domains).
Nope, NoA for me works right out of the bat (Safari, Firefox).

I just tried logging in on a (mobile) European game page, at least that still works the old buggy way.

maxcriden

GCN VC could just require a GCN controller adapter.

Most Wii VC games required an extra controller and it was fine.

Very true, but the difference with GCN VC is that the extra controller here is an extraordinarily niche product requiring two pieces of equipment. Plus, Nintendo would have to sell GCN controllers just for this since the aftermarket isn't exactly flooded with legit ones.

Top Bottom