• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2015

I'm really frustrated that I missed the sale on Kirby Triple Deluxe that was going on last month. I will buy a physical copy of the game when I get the chance.

I just played the demo for Jett Rocket II and it was pretty good, so I think I'm picking that up with the $2 off sale.

What other MM games should they release? I guess the Zero games would be good too but there isn't a whole lot left. It'd be cool to see the ZX games though but that probably ain't happening.

Good point. As mentioned on the last page, I'd love to see Mega Man 64 but that's probably not happening either.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Good point. As mentioned on the last page, I'd love to see Mega Man 64 but that's probably not happening either.
MM64 is going to be interesting. Today saw Misadventures of Tron Bonne on PSN, so it SEEMS there could be a chance Legends 1 & 2 could hit PSN as well. But I have no idea if they'd also put MM64 on Wii U VC as well. Granted, if Legends 1 is re-released on PSN, then that would mean they'd have the rights for MM64 since it's pretty much the same game when it comes to an IP sweep.

MM64 is going to be interesting. Today saw Misadventures of Tron Bonne on PSN, so it SEEMS there could be a chance Legends 1 & 2 could hit PSN as well. But I have no idea if they'd also put MM64 on Wii U VC as well. Granted, if Legends 1 is re-released on PSN, then that would mean they'd have the rights for MM64 since it's pretty much the same game when it comes to an IP sweep.

I hope so, I'd love to be surprised. N64 VC is already stalling and needs more variety.

sörine

Banned
Looks like the death of SNES VC games has been greatly exaggerated. Metal Marines coming in tomorrow.
I mean, I guess that's good news but the game's ESRB rating slippped out 10 months ago. We know Nintendo's got a LONG queue line, that doesn't mean they're licensing new SNES games we want. Like Lufia II or Pocky & Rocky.

sörine;162997501 said:
I mean, I guess that's good news but the game's ESRB rating slippped out 10 months ago. We know Nintendo's got a LONG queue line, that doesn't mean they're licensing new SNES games we want. Like Lufia II or Pocky & Rocky.

I've never played the Lufia games, how do they rank for quality as far as 16-bit RPGs go?

deadfolk

Hey Guys, I'm new to all this Wii U stuff and I have a question:

Do I absolutely need a Wii controller to play any Wii games at all? For example, could I play something like Xenoblade which supports the Wii classic controller using the gamepad? What's the dealio?

Robin64

Hey Guys, I'm new to all this Wii U stuff and I have a question:

Do I absolutely need a Wii controller to play any Wii games at all? For example, could I play something like Xenoblade which supports the Wii classic controller using the gamepad? What's the dealio?

You need a Wii remote just to get into Wii mode.

And nothing on disc can use the GamePad as a controller, even games that had Wii Classic Controller support. Only certain downloaded ones can.

maxcriden

Technically Megaman Legends 1 and 2 ARE on PSN: JP PSN as PSP classics, playable on Vita TV/Vita/PSP.

A bit off-topic, but is it possible to access EU/JP PSN from NA? I'm planning to get a PS3 soon and some games like Ape Escape are not on the PA PSN store.

You can get a Wii remote on the cheap, so I wouldn't sweat this too much.

Agreed. See if Nintendo UK has a refurb one on their store. Just think of it this way, your Wii U has a Wii inside of it. As a corollary of this, this Wii isn't going to have any Wii U functionality. :)

jholmes

A bit off-topic, but is it possible to access EU/JP PSN from NA? I'm planning to get a PS3 soon and some games like Ape Escape are not on the PA PSN store.

You can pretty easily access the Japanese store, but you have to have a Japanese PSN card or a Japanese credit card to buy anything. Buying a Japanese PSN card isn't super difficult or expensive, but you should probably get a 3000 or 5000 yen card to get the most out of it.

I assume Europe is the same, but I haven't done it myself.

maxcriden

You can pretty easily access the Japanese store, but you have to have a Japanese PSN card or a Japanese credit card to buy anything. Buying a Japanese PSN card isn't super difficult or expensive, but you should probably get a 3000 or 5000 yen card to get the most out of it.

I assume Europe is the same, but I haven't done it myself.

Sounds good, thank you. Could I then download those other-region games onto the same "profile" on my PS3? (Forgive my ignorance and likely misuse of terms here.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, if you download a game from, say, the Japanese PSN store, it'll work if you try to access it on your US PSN account on a PS3. I've done this before & can confirm it works. Though I think DLC isn't cross-compatible since I downloaded free DLC from JPN & tried it on my US game and it didn't work.

However, the same can't be said for a Vita since you're only allowed 1 account per system/memory card.

jholmes

Yes, if you download a game from, say, the Japanese PSN store, it'll work if you try to access it on your US PSN account on a PS3. I've done this before & can confirm it works. Though I think DLC isn't cross-compatible since I downloaded free DLC from JPN & tried it on my US game and it didn't work.

However, the same can't be said for a Vita since you're only allowed 1 account per system/memory card.

This is true but what you cannot do is remove the Japanese account from the system. You can have the PS3 boot up on your main profile though, so you'll never have to look at your Japanese account again.

Get Harmful Park!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of these days, I need to get a card so I can get some JPN-exclusive PS1 titles like Harmful Park as jholmes mentioned (a great shmup from what I've heard) & Rakugaki Showtime (Treasure title, one of the playable characters is Marina from Mischief Makers!).

.......Uhhhh, I guess to get back on topic, I do hope Mischief Makers makes it onto the Wii U VC this time. Would be cool if Bangai-O did as well, but the N64 version never got localized, only the Dreamcast version.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe Nintendo will put it out once the Splatoon Direct is over?

Edit: Not getting my hopes up, but considering how hard Nintendo has been trying to push Splatoon, especially with this direct in 30 minutes, what are the chances we could possibly see a demo this month, let alone after the direct is done?

maxcriden

This is true but what you cannot do is remove the Japanese account from the system. You can have the PS3 boot up on your main profile though, so you'll never have to look at your Japanese account again.

Get Harmful Park!

Thanks guys! Harmful Park looks fun. :)

terrisus

Thanks to which I have just discovered that there exists a Wii adaptation of And Then There Were None. I'll need to track that down at some point.

Glad I could help <3
It really is a pretty fun game.

I never got around to giving Evil Under the Sun much time...
But that exists for Wii as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SPLATOON DEMO IS OUT LATER TODAY!

Edit: Crap, I think you can only play it at certain times since it's more of a "global playtest". I assume PR report will have more details.

CEaP9X1W8AIabJY.png

Also Splatoon 3DS theme!

5b4b667002.png

terrisus

SPLATOON DEMO IS OUT LATER TODAY!

Edit: Crap, I think you can only play it at certain times since it's more of a "global playtest". I assume PR report will have more details.

CEaP9X1W8AIabJY.png

Also Splatoon 3DS theme!

5b4b667002.png

Nintendo Outlines Ink-redible Free Splatoon Demo Events and Post-Launch Content
Nintendo is hosting free demo events of Splatoon for all Wii U owners, and people who purchase the game will receive a squid-boatload of free post-launch content. Nintendo announced these and other details during a Nintendo Direct video focused on the Splatoon game, which launches May 29 exclusively for the Wii U console. To watch the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct.

Splatoon represents Nintendo&#8217;s take on the action shooter genre. Characters called Inklings can transform into squids as they attempt to cover the play area with their team&#8217;s colorful ink and splat opponents. Today&#8217;s Nintendo Direct detailed many of the weapons, stages, gear, modes and other features available in the game. New announcements from the Nintendo Direct included:

Global Testfire: Wii U owners with a broadband Internet connection can now download from the Nintendo eShop a free special demo, which will enable them to participate in four-on-four Turf War battles in several one-hour demo events set at optimal times for global play. The first Testfire event is scheduled for 8-9 p.m. Pacific time on Friday, May 8, with additional opportunities on Saturday, May 9, at both 4-5 a.m. and 12-1 p.m. During the first one-hour demo event, Nintendo will be broadcasting a live stream hosted by game experts from Nintendo&#8217;s Treehouse as they play against other Testfire participants.

Four-on-Four Online Action: Players will have to think strategically when participating in Splatoon&#8217;s Turf War mode. Two stages are refreshed every four hours, meaning players will have to carefully consider weapons and tactics for the stages on hand. Different weapons work better in different stages, so players will discover depth in the weaponry as they focus their strategies on different two-stage pairings. After each four-on-four match, players are randomly reshuffled to form new teams, so sometimes players will be working with their friends and other times they&#8217;ll be looking to take them down.

Free Post-Launch Content: Five Turf War stages will be available at launch, but Nintendo will continue to add free new stages throughout summer 2015. Additionally, Nintendo plans to continually expand the game with new weapons, battle modes and gear. A major game update event in August will add two additional matchmaking options, including the ability for friends to form four-person teams and search for other four-person teams to battle against. The second option lets eight friends join up to battle in four-on-four matches on any stage and with any rules they want. The August update will also deliver a new battle mode and additional gear for characters to wear.

Gift with Purchase: Players who pre-order or purchase Splatoon at GameStop stores or GameStop.com will receive a digital download code upon their paid balance of the game for two Mii Fighter Splatoon-themed costumes available to download in summer 2015 for use in the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U game! This offer is available in the United States only while supplies last.

Splatfests: Themed events called Splatfests will pose questions to players such as: Do you prefer dogs or cats? Players must choose and represent their side during online battles. Players who rank high enough can even get a valuable Super Sea Snail item to upgrade gear. Prepare for the first Splatfest, taking place on June 20.

For more information about Splatoon, visit http://splatoon.nintendo.com.

Brought to you by terrisus.com

Experien

This Splatoon global test fire is good...but those times are awful. And for only one hour? Not much chance to test online with 3 nonconsecutive hours.

Robin64

This Splatoon global test fire is good...but those times are awful. And for only one hour? Not much chance to test online with 3 nonconsecutive hours.

Well the times are global, so they need to make sure at least one time is sensible for each region.

RiggyRob

Think there's a chance there could be some offline modes as well?

Offline mutliplayer'll be limited to the Battle Dojo until at least the content update in August, but there's the single player stage mode which looks very fun and that was my biggest concern about Splatoon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would imagine we'd be able to do SOMETHING offline, considering the demo should be up at the regular eShop update time, yet the first global testfire isn't for another 12 hours.

& now that I think about it, it actually makes sense Nintendo would offer a good amount of post-game content through the summer. Splatoon comes out just before or as kids are getting out of school. Therefore, by adding content weekly or bi-weekly, it gives them a reason to keep coming back. Heck, it'd make me come back every so often, assuming I can get the game (& the amiibo) at launch with my funds.

Offline mutliplayer'll be limited to the Battle Dojo until at least the content update in August, but there's the single player stage mode which looks very fun and that was my biggest concern about Splatoon.
Yeah, soon as I saw the single player, I was much more interested. Makes me wonder if we could get some content that'd work in single player, i.e weapons & outfits.

Edit: Splatoon demo is now up, 589MB. Still no PR report?

Edit 2: & the first game/winner of Mega May is
Mega Man & Bass

Top Bottom