• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2016

Javier

No VC games have been announced for tomorrow in NA. We are getting a Nintendo-published eShop game, so that's probably why.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Or maybe we're getting Style Savvy on DS on the Wii U VC.

.....with Super Punch-Out on New 3DS VC.

Javier

Yeah, I checked again and we're indeed getting Style Savvy and Super Punch Out. Style Savvy is actually getting released in America before Japan and Europe. That's kinda rare. I also hope this means we might get Style Savvy 3 at some point.

There are also 6 indies getting released on Wii U tomorrow, plus Pocket Card Jockey. This is actually a pretty good week.

Pokemaniac

is there a legitimate reason DS games aren't available for n3DS eshop?

They'd either have to create another ambassador GBA-style wrapper (which may or may not be possible), or port the emulator (which, again, may or may not be possible).

iosefe

They'd either have to create another ambassador GBA-style wrapper (which may or may not be possible), or port the emulator (which, again, may or may not be possible).

the 3ds can run nds games though, or is that only becasue of the slot? what could stop nintendo from repackaging nds games as eshop titles? at they very least first party ones.

Pokemaniac

the 3ds can run nds games though, or is that only becasue of the slot? what could stop nintendo from repackaging nds games as eshop titles? at they very least first party ones.

DS games run on the bare metal, so some special programming voodoo would have to happen to run them from anything other than a cartridge. It might be possible to do so using a similar approach to the GBA ambassador games, but it's hard to say either way without intimate knowledge of the hardware. If it is possible, it would also probably have some RAM induced limitations, too.

Mikurden

I think WarioWare: Touched! (available as a myNintendo prize) is the first. Why this took so long or whether there will be more, only Nintendo knows, but there's no technical reason for holding them back.

iosefe

i forgot about warioware, so i guess it's not a fool's wish for digital DS games. it is considered DSiware, though

we have proof it works at least. it runs with no issues?

k91191

i forgot about warioware, so i guess it's not a fool's wish for digital DS games.

Wario Ware runs perfectly. Japan also had an Advance Wars DS game given away as DSiWare

DSi software has a small file size limitation.

And I think the code has to be ported or something. I read it's more complicated than injecting or using a wrapper.

Pokemaniac

I think WarioWare: Touched! (available as a myNintendo prize) is the first. Why this took so long or whether there will be more, only Nintendo knows, but there's no technical reason for holding them back.

i forgot about warioware, so i guess it's not a fool's wish for digital DS games. it is considered DSiware, though

That is not the original version of WarioWare: Touched!. It was recompiled as DSiWare. That method comes with some pretty severe limitations.

yes, another thing i'd forgotten.

hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to break pass those limitations for the purpose of the n3DS

It would be only marginally easier than getting actual DS games to run off the SD card.

Mikurden

That is not the original version of WarioWare: Touched!. It was recompiled as DSiWare. That method comes with some pretty severe limitations.
Are DS games and DSiWare really so different? What are these severe limitations beyond the file size limit? Couldn't any game below this limit be released just the same as WarioWare without much trouble, especially since it's already been done?

Pokemaniac

Are DS games and DSiWare really so different? What are these severe limitations beyond the file size limit? Couldn't any game below this limit be released just the same as WarioWare without much trouble, especially since it's already been done?

You can't just put a DS game on DSiWare and have it work. It wouldn't know how to load the data from internal memory. You actually have to link it against different libraries.

DSiWare also has to run off intenal storage which has a hard cap of around 128MB (IIRC). Some DS games wouldn't fit in that by themselves, and most probably exceed the paltry limit set for actual DSiWare games.

Mikurden

You can't just put a DS game on DSiWare and have it work. It wouldn't know how to load the data from internal memory. You actually have to link it against different libraries.

DSiWare also has to run off intenal storage which has a hard cap of around 128MB (IIRC). Some DS games wouldn't fit in that by themselves, and most probably exceed the paltry limit set for actual DSiWare games.
So is WarioWare just a fairly small game and they could pretty easily use the same process to release whatever number of other DS games there are that are below the size limit or are you saying they sort of made an extraordinary effort for this because it's a pretty significant title and they wanted to have something special for myNintendo's launch? I mean of course you don't actually know their decision making process for this, but are you saying the technical limitations are such that you wouldn't be surprised if this is more or less the only title we get this way?

Pokemaniac

So is WarioWare just a fairly small game and they could pretty easily use the same process to release whatever number of other DS games there are that are below the size limit or are you saying they sort of made an extraordinary effort for this because it's a pretty significant title and they wanted to have something special for myNintendo's launch? I mean of course you don't actually know their decision making process for this, but are you saying the technical limitations are such that you wouldn't be surprised if this is more or less the only title we get this way?

I think they might be breaking their size rules somewhat with WarioWare (I'm not 100% sure if we ever found out the actual limit for DSiWare), but it's still pretty small by DS game standards.

Given the limitations involved, and the fact that it would be a real pain to manage the fridge if they ever put out any significant number of these titles, the only games we're likely to get via this method are smaller games that Nintendo has the source code for. I really don't think they'll offer them outside of My Nintendo rewards.

Mikurden

I think they might be breaking their size rules somewhat with WarioWare (I'm not 100% sure if we ever found out the actual limit for DSiWare), but it's still pretty small by DS game standards.

Given the limitations involved, and the fact that it would be a real pain to manage the fridge if they ever put out any significant number of these titles, the only games we're likely to get via this method are smaller games that Nintendo has the source code for. I really don't think they'll offer them outside of My Nintendo rewards.
It may be part of the considerations that weigh against them doing this too often but better to deal with managing the fridge than not have the games at all. Speaking of which, when you move games to the SD card, does it maintain your save file or not?

Pokemaniac

It may be part of the considerations that weigh against them doing this too often but better to deal with managing the fridge than not have the games at all. Speaking of which, when you move games to the SD card, does it maintain your save file or not?

The game data and save are a single unit. They move together.

TheMoon

is there a legitimate reason DS games aren't available for n3DS eshop?

Yes, the same reason GBA games aren't. Can't emulate, can't run as native 3DS software, thus can't use 3DS features, thus have to be DSiWare, thus fill up internal memory = bad.

It's not the first, they did it years ago for an Advance Wars game or something as a Club Nintendo JP reward already. They run as DSiWare titles, though, which is very much not ideal.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can't wait to download it later today. So glad they released that demo, otherwise I probably would've passed it or waited for a sale.

Ondore

NA PR:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Pocket Card Jockey – 3, 2, 1 … GO! In this fast-paced mashup of solitaire and horse racing developed by GAME FREAK inc., you’ll jockey your way to victory by clearing cards to energize your horse. You can even level up your noble steed through strategic positioning on the track. Can you master solitaire and horseback racing at the same time?

Virtual Console on Wii U
Style Savvy – Show off your style as the owner of a chic boutique in the original Style Savvy game for the Nintendo DS system. Dream up dazzling outfits for yourself and your customers, purchase inventory to stock your store and monitor your shopping budget, and extend your fashion makeover by visiting the hair salon and the cosmetics store. The fabulous possibilities are nearly endless.

Virtual Console on New Nintendo 3DS
Super Punch-Out!! – Featuring the tight gameplay and humor the series is known for, this Super NES sequel to the NES classic sees Little Mac returning to the ring with the World Video Boxing Association belt once again at stake. Slug your way through grueling, sweat-pounding matches against a cast of characters with unique patterns (and even more unique looks).

Nintendo eShop sales:
Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Gravity Badgers is 50 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 2.
ZaciSa’s Last Stand is 50 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 19.
Defense Dome is more than 30 percent off (reduced from $2.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 11.
Rock ’N Racing Off Road DX is more than 35 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 26.
Word Party is 50 percent off (reduced from $19.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 9.
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Art of Balance TOUCH! is 25 percent off (reduced from $6.99 to $5.20) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 26.
Aqua Moto Racing 3D is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 12.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers and Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth from ATLUS are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 16.
The Hand of Panda is more than 15 percent off (reduced from $5.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 3.

New DLC:

Fire Emblem Fates – Map Pack 2 DLC – Across dimensions, other versions of the Hoshidan and Nohrian children are under attack. Born and raised in the Deeprealms, these fledgling warriors must now rise up to save themselves and their parents as they unravel the mystery of their adversaries. In this six-map series for the Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest games, units leveled up in the main game cannot lend support. Devise a strategy using a fresh team and reap the rewards, but only if all of your units survive. You can receive all six maps as they are released by purchasing Map Pack 2 for only $7.99.

Fire Emblem Fates – New DLC Maps: In Endless Dreams – The In Endless Dreams map, available for $0.49, Kana, lost and alone, must find allies quickly. In Endless Dreams is Part 1 of Heirs of Fate.
Activities:

Nintendo Badge Arcade – Starting today, get thank-you badges featuring everyone's favorite Nintendo Badge Arcade employee, the Arcade Bunny, during the Thank You Campaign. Automatically receive thank-you badges for each $1.00 spent, up to a maximum of $4.00 and four badges. The campaign ends on May 25, so check it out to see if your favorite Arcade Bunny moments are captured as a badge!

Also new this week:

Escape from Flare Industries (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Midnight 2 (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
PixelMaker (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
SpaceRoads (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Sudoku and Permudoku (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
The Beggar’s Ride (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)

Robin64

Nice to see the Wii U VC release rubbing it in that America doesn't have (or even has any mention of having) Style Savvy 3.

Today's finally the day!
Picked up PCJ, restarted again for the third time and just won the opening couple of races.
Looking forward to getting stuck into the proper game!
One thing... Miiverse screenshots are disabled.
Disappointing, sharing pictures of the various horses we breed would've been fun.

One thing... Miiverse screenshots are disabled.
Disappointing, sharing pictures of the various horses we breed would've been fun.

Are you sure? In the demo they behaved a bit weird where it'd look like you couldn't post screenshots but if you backed out of the message they were available. I definitely got some demo shots so I dunno why the full game would differ.

Zeeman

Do you get a bonus for transferring your data from the demo of PCJ? I kind of want to just start again from the beginning to see if I can do better.

tolkir

Week 18 finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• Word Party is 50 percent off (reduced from $19.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 9.
  • Defense Dome is more than 30 percent off (reduced from $2.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 11.
  • ZaciSa’s Last Stand is 50 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 19.
  • Rock ’N Racing Off Road DX is more than 35 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 26.
  • Gravity Badgers is 50 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 2.

New Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Fire Emblem Fates (Nintendo)
    Map Pack 2 ($7.99)
    In Endless Dreams ($0.49)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Aqua Moto Racing 3D is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 12.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers and Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth from ATLUS are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 16.
  • Art of Balance TOUCH! is 25 percent off (reduced from $6.99 to $5.20) until 8:59 a.m. PT on May 26.
  • The Hand of Panda is more than 15 percent off (reduced from $5.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 3.

vYU92.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• LEGO Marvel's Avengers (WB Games)
    Classic Black Panther Pack (€2.99 | £2.50)

Wii U | Sales

• Word Party (Lightwood Games, €7.99 / £7.49 until 12th May, normally €15.99 / £14.99)
  • Island Flight Simulator (Joindots, €7.19 / £5.39 until 19th May, normally €7.99 / £5.99)
  • ZaciSa: Defense of the Crayon Dimensions! (ZeNfA Productions, €1.49 / £1.14 until 19th May, normally €2.99 / £2.29)
  • Gravity Badgers (Wales Interactive, €2.49 / £2.49 until 2nd June, normally €4.99 / £4.99)
  • 99Moves (EnjoyUp Games, €1.49 / £1.34 until 2nd June, normally €2.49 / £2.29)
  • Abyss (EnjoyUp Games, €1.49 / £1.34 until 2nd June, normally €1.99 / £1.79)
  • Rock 'N Racing Off Road DX (EnjoyUp Games, €4.95 / £4.45 until 2nd June, normally €7.99 / £7.19)
  • SUPER ROBO MOUSE (RCMADIAX, €3.00 / £2.70 until 2nd June, normally €4.49 / £4.09)
  • TABLETOP GALLERY (RCMADIAX, €2.00 / £1.80 until 2nd June, normally €2.99 / £2.69)
  • BLOK DROP U (RCMADIAX, €1.00 / £0.85 until 2nd June, normally €1.49 / £1.29)
  • BLOK DROP X TWISTED FUSION (RCMADIAX, €2.00 / £1.80 until 2nd June, normally €2.99 / £2.69)
  • Canvaleon (OXiAB Game Studio, €6.95 / £6.29, previously €9.95/ £8.99)

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• The Legend of Dark Witch 2 (Circle Ent. | Demo)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, €3.99 / £3.59 until 12th May, normally €7.99 / £7.19)
  • 3D Game Collection (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.59 until 19th May, normally €6.99 / £4.99)
  • Secret Agent Files: Miami (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.75 until 19th May, normally €7.99 / £5.99)
  • Crazy Construction (Joindots, €3.49 / £2.49 until 19th May, normally €6.99 / £4.99)
  • Atlantic Quest (Joindots, €1.99 / £1.39 until 19th May, normally €6.99 / £4.99)
  • Art of Balance TOUCH! (Shin'en Multimedia, €5.20 / £4.70 until 26th May, normally €6.99 / £6.29)
  • Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €1.99 / £1.79 until 2nd June, normally €2.99 / £2.36)
  • Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €0.99 / £0.89 until 2nd June, normally €2.99 / £2.69)
  • 4 Elements (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Azada (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Hidden Expedition Titanic (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Jewel Quest: The Sapphire Dragon (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Secret Mysteries in London (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Luxor (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 3rd June, normally €11.99 / £10.79)
  • Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (Akaoni Studio, €4.99 / £4.49 until 5th June, normally €7.00 / £6.30)
  • RV-7 My Drone (EnjoyUp Games, €1.99 / £1.99 until 5th June, normally €2.99 / £2.99)
  • Fantasy Pirates (EnjoyUp Games, €0.99 / £0.99 until 5th June, normally €4.50 / £4.50)
  • Van Helsing Sniper Zx100 (EnjoyUp Games, €2.99 / £2.99 until 5th June, normally €6.66 / £6.66)
  • Toys vs. Monsters (EnjoyUp Games, €0.99 / £0.99 until 5th June, normally €3.99 / £3.99)

uxwGK.png

Nanimo

Are you sure? In the demo they behaved a bit weird where it'd look like you couldn't post screenshots but if you backed out of the message they were available. I definitely got some demo shots so I dunno why the full game would differ.

Hmm I tried again and still couldn't get any to show up, despite repeatedly backing out of messages. I hardly use Miiverse though so hopefully I'm just missing something...

Top Bottom