• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2014

Sometimes I feel odd being satisfied with Nintendo's VC releases when I mostly hear is people complaining about how horrible they are doing. Just recently I have gotten Minish Cap, Both GBA Mario Tennis and Golf, 2 GBA Kirby games, Warioland 4, Yoshi's Island, Golden Sun, Castlevania GBA trilogy, Super Mario Advance, Demon's Crest, and the hard to find MMX 3. And apparently Golden Sun 2 is releasing in Europe soon whic pretty much ensures a US release. I dunno, since the GBA games started coming I personally think they have been doing great for me.

But I certainly won't be buying Super Circuit with my shiny new MK8 DLC here.

You're not alone, as I've been very satisfied with Nintendo's VC lineup this year. I'm honestly in no rush for N64 or DS games to be added, though I'll be happy when they arrive.

Chrom

Reposting my question from the Pokémon TCG OT here in case anyone here might know:

Are you only supposed to receive one Pokémon ORAS demo code from buying either Pokémon Puzzle Challenge/TCG or do you get one from each? My friend didn't get his second code from his Pokémon TCG receipt and is confused.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I just got a $20 code for MK8 DLC. I wonder if I should spend some of the $8 left over in this? I have Bit. trip collection and haven't finished runner there so maybe I should'nt. But great price tho. I might but need to look at all of my options. I quite enjoyed runner but too hard. This has checkpoints so maybe I can get into it abit more.

Also lol at Mario Kart Advance releasing same day as MK8 DLC. No I do not think that is a good idea Nintendo.

Runner 2 is way easier, only difficult if you're going for all of the gold pieces really.

also

Banned
So I got Dracula X (SNES)

I know some didn't have the kindest words fort it in the previous thread but after my 1st playthrough, which took me a bit more than 3 hours ( a good chunk of that was spent on the final boss), I must say really like it.

I booted up the game and was really surprised to see Richter jump to and from the stairs in the demo reel. I quickly tried it and it feels amazing. I never thought I would live to see day when I wouldn't dread stairs in a classic Castlevania games. But it's not just the stairs, your character feels way more agile than in I, III and Rondo; your jump is huge to the point that overshooting platforms can be a problem and you can even horizontally adjust your vertical jump a little. The game puts your added mobility to good use by emphasizing platforming but I still felt overpowered. For example, I breezed through the series' staple Clock Tower section with Medusa heads as jumping to and from the stairs allowed me to just dash past enemies. I won't lie and say that it didn't feel great but looking back I feel they should have toned down your movement a little. Same with your attacks.
The whip's range is huge (it's always fully upgraded) and they even buffed the subweapons; axe has a bigger hit box, holy water seem to come out quicker and travels farther and even the knife doesn't feel useless as they improved it's vertical hitbox. The cross doesn't seem noticeably different but it was always great.

I presume I got the worst ending so I may regret saying this later on when I try to get the other ones, but I wish the game was a little harder, especially as it doesn't seem to have be a hard mode. To it's credit, the final boss is really hard but unfortunately it's the tedious kind of hard.

BTW, I found it kind of hilarious that the spear knights are some of the toughest enemies in the game as they are trash tier in igavanias. I'm also starting to see why people complained about the recycled enemies...

NateDrake

May be a dumb question, but can I redeem a code online to download to my system? Or do I have to buy a digital from the Nintendo website? If yes, what is the link?

Yuterald

Downloaded Tengami and I have the first Mario Kart DLC lined up. Picked up Life Force randomly too because I had just enough left for an NES game. Does anyone have any clue as to when Wayforward will be dropping Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on the U? Been holding out on the 3DS version because I'd much rather play that piece on my TV.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SO I just interviewed Ackk Studios a few hours ago, they of Chormophore: Two Brothers Director's Cut and I have learned a few things. Firstly, I have learned that they are using the Wii U Gamepad to not only have Off-TV Play but they are going to have a Game Boy boarder. Also, some other implantations are planned but those are going to be plot specific and thus nothing more was mentioned. Also, it has been confirmed that Y2K is coming to the Wii U.

TheMoon

Look at the VC releases in Europe and Japan...

Fuck you NOA.

Don't pretend like October never happened lol. Remember how you got all the GBA Castlevanias, Demon's Crest and Gargoyle's Quest 2? The latter two of which people were begging for since Wii VC days? Be civil.

SO I just interviewed Ackk Studios a few hours ago, they of Chormophore: Two Brothers Director's Cut and I have learned a few things. Firstly, I have learned that they are using the Wii U Gamepad to not only have Off-TV Play but they are going to have a Game Boy boarder. Also, some other implantations are planned but those are going to be plot specific and thus nothing more was mentioned. Also, it has been confirmed that Y2K is coming to the Wii U.

Y2K was announced as a Wii U game initially. That's not news.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does Picross e5 reward you with additional puzzles for having previous games downloaded? I know e4 did.

ramparter

Banned
Just noticed the price of CaptainToad, 3.700 yen, that roughly 25 euros!! Are nintendo first party titles generally cheaper in Japan, is it because it's a downloadable title? I'd gladly pay that for digital

TheMoon

Just noticed the price of CaptainToad, 3.700 yen, that roughly 25 euros!! Are nintendo first party titles generally cheaper in Japan, is it because it's a downloadable title? I'd gladly pay that for digital

Captain Toad is a mid-budget title everywhere. It's $39, €39, £29.

For some reason I started playing Mario Brothers last night since it is included with Yoshi's Island GBA (and the other SMB advance games too). I don't like Mario Bros and it was something I didn't enjoy at all in NES Remix. But this version is so retooled from it's original incarnation that it feels like a whole new game. The character physics are actually really responsive and enjoyable to control. It also has themed level backgrounds and the enemy placement is exciting. So yeah, as someone who hates the original Mario Bros this game had me playing for quite a while and having a lot of fun. If anyone is on the fence for either Mario Advance game I think this bonus game makes either a real bargain.

maxcriden

For some reason I started playing Mario Brothers last night since it is included with Yoshi's Island GBA (and the other SMB advance games too). I don't like Mario Bros and it was something I didn't enjoy at all in NES Remix. But this version is so retooled from it's original incarnation that it feels like a whole new game. The character physics are actually really responsive and enjoyable to control. It also has themed level backgrounds and the enemy placement is exciting. So yeah, as someone who hates the original Mario Bros this game had me playing for quite a while and having a lot of fun. If anyone is on the fence for either Mario Advance game I think this bonus game makes either a real bargain.

I love the Mario Bros. game included with the SMA series. It's pretty addictive and the physics are much better than in the original. I think the highest I've made it is...Phase 39? Maybe? It's tough!

TheMoon

It's even in Mario & Luigi RPG. That's where I played that version on VC :D

sörine

Banned
Man, I really want all those Square-Enix games =(
Looking at what's on Japanese eShop I'd immediately buy (well, $1-1.50 upgrade) FF1-3, Secret of Mana, Ogre Battle, Mystic Quest, Legend of Kage and Bubble Bobble. It's only going to get more painful too as the GBA games start rolling in.

I love the Mario Bros. game included with the SMA series. It's pretty addictive and the physics are much better than in the original. I think the highest I've made it is...Phase 39? Maybe? It's tough!

It really feels like one of those "just one more level!" kinda games. I find that kind of stuff to be really satisfying, but those later levels can really become trying and I remember going in panic mode towards the end.

Wow that game really got around. Totally forgot it was in there even though I own that one.

terrisus

sörine;138847627 said:
Looking at what's on Japanese eShop I'd immediately buy (well, $1-1.50 upgrade) FF1-3, Secret of Mana, Ogre Battle, Mystic Quest, Legend of Kage and Bubble Bobble. It's only going to get more painful too as the GBA games start rolling in.

I don't own any of them on Wii, so they would be full-price purchases for me.
I would buy all of them Day 1.

I don't undersstand why they came out so easily on Wii - even in the US - but haven't been on Wii U/3DS in the US.

maxcriden

Oh yes, I totally forgot they included it there. I always thought that was kind of odd, not that I'm complaining!

It really feels like one of those "just one more level!" kinda games. I find that kind of stuff to be really satisfying, but those later levels can really become trying and I remember going in panic mode towards the end.

It really is. And they truly become very tense levels as you get further in! I'm sure there are people out there who've made it much further than I have, but when you have those speedy crabs + icicles...eek! I can barely keep focused, haha. Any idea how far you've made it so far? :)

Best version of it is Mario Clash for Virtual Boy :þ

Unless you value your eyes. I still can't believe the Virtual Boy was a real product. My eyes wince thinking about it.

terrisus

Unless you value your eyes. I still can't believe the Virtual Boy was a real product. My eyes wince thinking about it.

Hey, the Virtual Boy is an awesome system.

Don't take the fact that I had a stroke and now have significant vision issues as any indication that it's bad or anything.
Really >.>

maxcriden

Hey, the Virtual Boy is an awesome system.

Don't take the fact that I had a stroke and now have significant vision issues as any indication that it's bad or anything.
Really >.>

Oh, terry.

I'd use one of your terry-brand .gifs but it seems in poor taste somehow. :(

ETA: that is probably the ultimate burn to Nintendo. I adore Nintendo of course but you really slapped them down there.

sörine;138797434 said:
Nintendo's not the problem with VC. It's Square Enix and Konami.

This is true, though Konami has gotten a bit better. Still, I wish they'd bring TG-16 over here.

SE is just disappointment all around.

terrisus

This is my favorite part:

Who will be the first thanked?!

Spoiler:
No one =(

Seriously, for a quick and easy comparison, since they keep track of this stuff now, my GameFAQs listing for my Wario Land FAQ/Walkthrough only has 1,590 hits... As compared to my Chrono Trigger (DS) FAQ/Walkthrough, at 73,223 hits.
Heck, my Mother 3 (GBA) review has 13,789 hits.

Writing a Virtual Boy FAQ/Walkthrough is pretty much a complete waste of time >.>
But, it was fun =)

maxcriden

Spoiler:
No one =(

Seriously, for a quick and easy comparison, since they keep track of this stuff now, my GameFAQs listing for my Wario Land FAQ/Walkthrough only has 1,590 hits... As compared to my Chrono Trigger (DS) FAQ/Walkthrough, at 73,223 hits.
Heck, my Mother 3 (GBA) review has 13,789 hits.

Writing a Virtual Boy FAQ/Walkthrough is pretty much a complete waste of time >.>
But, it was fun =)

Whoa, 73K hits! That's neat. I bet you feel like it was worth the effort, then. I don't think I ever made a guide for a game but I think I worked on editing one once for my old Nintendo site back in the day. I might be confusing this with IGN's printable Insider guides, though. They're kind of running together in my mind.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Don't pretend like October never happened lol. Remember how you got all the GBA Castlevanias, Demon's Crest and Gargoyle's Quest 2? The latter two of which people were begging for since Wii VC days? Be civil.

Y2K was announced as a Wii U game initially. That's not news.

Actually it wasn't because the game was announced off of the Playstation blog.

Actually it wasn't because the game was announced off of the Playstation blog.

Y2K was announced several months ago around PAX East, they've been doing screeenshot saturday for a while now. I think the game was being considered for being a Wii U console exclusive at some point.

terrisus

Whoa, 73K hits! That's neat. I bet you feel like it was worth the effort, then. I don't think I ever made a guide for a game but I think I worked on editing one once for my old Nintendo site back in the day. I might be confusing this with IGN's printable Insider guides, though. They're kind of running together in my mind.

Well, you know me, I just love Chrono Trigger, and everything to do with Chrono Trigger.
I have like a dozen different FAQs/Walkthroughs/Guides, but that's the one with the most views (at least there).

I have stuff up on IGN too, and they had asked me if I would be willing to do a Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes guide for them, but I passed on it (I've never played any game in the series, and that game was basically a remake of another one anyway,, so I figured I wouldn't be a very good fit for it). I said for them to keep me in mind for other stuff in the future, but that was the only time they ever asked me to do one.

Ah well. I haven't really done any guides in like 9 years anyway :þ

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Y2K was announced several months ago around PAX East, they've been doing screeenshot saturday for a while now. I think the game was being considered for being a Wii U console exclusive at some point.

Well, whatever the case, it is still coming in case anybody was fretting about things.

terrisus

Y2K is coming?
It's only about 15 years too late.
It's about darn time.

I still have some email that's in MM/DD/YY format which probably isn't y2K compliant.
I wonder if it will form a black hole or something.

I wonder what Y2Kev thinks about all of this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Y2K is coming?
It's only about 15 years too late.
It's about darn time.

I still have some email that's in MM/DD/YY format which probably isn't y2K compliant.
I wonder if it will form a black hole or something.

I wonder what Y2Kev thinks about all of this.

Still another year or so out.

Top Bottom