• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2014

I played it when it was released for the SNES, I know it's a good game. I still feel like $10 is pushing it for a game that old.

The cart alone is going for ridiculous prices online.

For people who never played it before and the lack of support the game got at release, 10 dollars is too cheap.

Earthbound is my Game of the SNES. Nothing released in the 16 bit era replaces that gem.

tebunker

Banned
So Watch_Dogs WiiU does get the DLC

They couldve gave us that for free lol since the game is full price

I mean yes and no, I personally think a directors cut with some of the dlc would have been awesome, or even a smidge price break, but on the other hand I know the need to maximize their return on investment and let's be honest this game is gonna be $20 really freaking fast, so if you are patient you can build your own directors cut for $60.

Darn does reading stuff like this make me depressed =(

Earthbound is one of the best games ever (my 2nd-favorite game ever), and is well worth most any price. It's a steal at 10 times the price.

Meanwhile, you'll have people spending $60 on RandomFPS15, playing it for a couple of months, and then trading it in for $30, without giving it a second thought.
Not saying the poster I quoted does that, but plenty of people do.

Heck, what's the last game you paid $30, $50, or $60 for?
Earthbound is better than any of those games.
I guess that's where our opinions differ. I enjoyed it but would not pay $100 for it.

$10 for EB is a steal! I can't see how $2 more than the regular $8 for one of the most expensive SNES games of all time is such a dealbreaker. They even have the guidebook scanned in to read. So glad I held onto mine even though the cart got lost ages ago. Having it feels like a travel guide filled with lovely imagery that brings the game to life even more. I almost sold that alone for $100 but decided it would hurt me too much to do so.

$10 for EB is a steal! I can't see how $2 more than the regular $8 for one of the most expensive SNES games of all time is such a dealbreaker. They even have the guidebook scanned in to read. So glad I held onto mine even though the cart got lost ages ago. Having it feels like a travel guide filled with lovely imagery that brings the game to life even more. I almost sold that alone for $100 but decided it would hurt me too much to do so.

I had received a copy of the game for Christmas 6 months after it's release.

The guidebook was thrown in the recycling because of its wear and tear and the cart sold long ago, but had I known that Earthbound was going to be one of those games that would be extra special, I would've taken care of it much better than I did :(

I feel like such a shit now for not being apt enough to keep it in pristine condition or for not pushing it onto more people.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Here's the games you can download from Club Nintendo this month, until Dec. 14th:

- Pilotwings (Wii U, 200 coins)
- Vegas Stakes (Wii U, 200 coins)
- Clu Clu Land (Wii, 200 coins)
- Tokyo Crash Mobs (3DS, 200 coins)

TheMoon

So Watch_Dogs WiiU does get the DLC

They couldve gave us that for free lol since the game is full price

It does not get "the" DLC. It gets "some" DLC. The stuff that was in the special editions at launch. Day-1 bullshit filler crap. It's incredibly fucked up that they're charging full price for these packs on top of the full-priced base game after this ridiculous delay and zero marketing lol.

It does not get "the" DLC. It gets "some" DLC. The stuff that was in the special editions at launch. Day-1 bullshit filler crap. It's incredibly fucked up that they're charging full price for these packs on top of the full-priced base game after this ridiculous delay and zero marketing lol.

Is Ubi setting the prices here or is the retailers?

Zeeman

Here's the games you can download from Club Nintendo this month, until Dec. 14th:

- Pilotwings (Wii U, 200 coins)
- Vegas Stakes (Wii U, 200 coins)
- Clu Clu Land (Wii, 200 coins)
- Tokyo Crash Mobs (3DS, 200 coins)

Only four games this month? Ugh.

Edit: Tell me about Pilotwings. Worthwhile?

TheMoon

Is Ubi setting the prices here or is the retailers?

manufacturer price + retailer cut = consumer price. if manufacturer sells at lower price, the end consumer price reflects that. this isn't necessarily ubi saying "yo, game is 60!" but them saying "yo, buy this for 50, go nuts" and the retailer slapping their normal cut on top to make it 60 like with any other game. Ubi could've easily said "yo, retailers, this is a budget release because we fucked up so here it is for 30" and the retailer slaps their tenner on there and we buy it for 40 in the end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
More Club Nintendo games added:

Wii: Picturebook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit (250 coins)

3DS:

- Kirby's Pinball Land (150 coins)
- Metroid 2 (150 coins)
- Starship Defense (200 coins)

manufacturer price + retailer cut = consumer price. if manufacturer sells at lower price, the end consumer price reflects that. this isn't necessarily ubi saying "yo, game is 60!" but them saying "yo, buy this for 50, go nuts" and the retailer slapping their normal cut on top to make it 60 like with any other game. Ubi could've easily said "yo, retailers, this is a budget release because we fucked up so here it is for 30" and the retailer slaps their tenner on there and we buy it for 40 in the end.

Despite all of the fervor about not supporting Ubi for this, I really want to buy and hold a copy still in shrinkwrap and hope that the value of the game shoots up 5-10 years from now.

WonderzL

Banned
I got Pilotwings... I hope it's cool (but I wish they weren't so stingy with Virtual Console games... I want SMB1 to complete them... :().

Well, if it's a matter of your preferences on the game, that's one thing.

But it's another to outright state that:

I did say "IMO." The games are 20 years old... I just don't think virtual console SNES games should be $10, others might feel differently. All they're doing is emulating it and mapping the SNES controls to the Wii U's controls, right?

This is separate from physical copies and collecting, etc., of course.

sörine

Banned
I did say "IMO." The games are 20 years old... I just don't think virtual console SNES games should be $10, others might feel differently. All they're doing is emulating it and mapping the SNES controls to the Wii U's controls, right?

This is separate from physical copies and collecting, etc., of course.
VC games go through full certification and testing, and also get ESRB submission, digital manuals are produced, etc. The QA is a higher standard than (for example) Sony's Classics line on PSN. It's not simply throwing a rom in and emulator, rebinding the controls and calling it a day.

For Earthbound Nintendo also reproduced the huge strategy guide the game ships with and hosts it online. I'm guessing the $2 premium went to that partially too.

sörine;139300240 said:
VC games go through full certification and testing, and also get ESRB submission, digital manuals are produced, etc. The QA is a higher standard than (for example) Sony's Classics line on PSN. It's not simply throwing a rom in and emulator, rebinding the controls and calling it a day.

For Earthbound Nintendo also reproduced the huge strategy guide the game ships with and hosts it online. I'm guessing the $2 premium went to that partially too.

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

also

Banned
sörine;139300240 said:

The digital manuals they have left over from Wii and only need to apply a few changes. The ESRB submission is just filling out a simple form online. Scanning an old book also doesn't seem like much work.

Nintendo charged a premium because the cart is expensive and the fans rabid. It was a purely profit driven decision, that's all there is to it. Too bad they don't charge less for more common games.

Someday I'd really like to read an in-depth interview with Nintendo's and M2's emulation team to see how much work actually goes into releasing a game on VC. The ones about SEGA's 3D classics are great but those are enhanced ports and not just emulated versions.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cool to hear Mighty Gunvolt finally getting DLC, & next week to boot. Hopefully the US release will be close.

terrisus

Alphadia Genesis may be released this Thursday according to Wii U eShop
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/241926-wii-u-eshop-lists-alphadia-genesis-for-release-this-week

Hmm, wonder what this is...
Sounds like some random shooter or something...

<goes to check>
Ooh, RPG!

Meh, probably just another "Action RPG"
<goes to check>

Ooh, turn-based!
My poor wallet =(

Hopefully there's a way to disable the screen flipping all over the place like that when entering a battle.
And all the annoying voices.

jholmes

maxcriden

Damn it NoA damn it Reggie why can't we get this game wah wah etc.
I know this is probably your idea of a joke but add Funasshi to the game and I'll be all over it. Japanese tour? Sign me up! Japanese mascots? Hell yeah! Japanese trains?! Well, slap me and call me Sassafras!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've downloaded Tengami and that game is lovely.
I really like its style, its OST and its touch-based gameplay

Tizoc

Anyone else play Tetris Ultimate yet? Got my retail copy a few hours ago and played some of it.
In options you can set how many tetriminos you can see will be coming next, as well as randomize the order or have them repeat every 7 or 14 times.

The traditional Tetris theme is used for Marathon, the main mode but in a more slower tempo. A faster tempo is used in Battle mode, where in its you vs. the CPU. Clearing lines puts additional blocks in the enemy's side much like how Puyo Puyo does it.

So far I like the game and its just the usual tetris fare...only this one is in color as opposed to the GB Tetris game =V

terrisus

Anyone else play Tetris Ultimate yet? Got my retail copy a few hours ago and played some of it.
In options you can set how many tetriminos you can see will be coming next, as well as randomize the order or have them repeat every 7 or 14 times.

The traditional Tetris theme is used for Marathon, the main mode but in a more slower tempo. A faster tempo is used in Battle mode, where in its you vs. the CPU. Clearing lines puts additional blocks in the enemy's side much like how Puyo Puyo does it.

Not yet.
I have something like 15 versions of Tetris already, and will probably get this as well when I have the chance though.

SerTapTap

Anyone got final boss tips for Gunvolt? (is there an OT?) I got stuck and I'm getting a bit bored of grinding challenges for XP and materials. For gear I'm just using the "no damage when not attacking" thing and 2 "slower energy field EP drain" items and a triple jump. Never had this much trouble with the Mega Man Zero/ZX bosses. I like Gunvolt but I'm not as much of a fan of how it handles bosses. Constantly resetting tags feels more like a chore than an "attack".

Top Bottom