• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2014

Nairume

Banned
I've been eyeing The Keep since it got released. I stumbled onto it on 3DS eShop and enjoyed what I saw in the trailer. I'll pick it up now that it's on sale.

Anyone played Alphadia Genesis on mobile? Is it any good?
I've not played AG, but going by the rest of Kemco's games, it's probably a serviceable JRPG.

terrisus

I've not played AG, but going by the rest of Kemco's games, it's probably a serviceable JRPG.

Yeah, it'll be a bit before I can pick up Alphadia Genesis, but Grinsia is pretty great.

The world needs more traditional turn-based JRPGs.

Richie

Oh now you've done it. Now everyone knows what they'll whine about after we get Donkey Kong Country. Way to go!

LOL

sörine;139678201 said:
VC filler ideology strikes again. What they should be doing is releasing a bunch of notable VC this week that tie into the big retail releases (Smash, Pokémon) and can co-promote / ride their coattails. Stuff like Pokémon Pinball, Mystery Dungeon Red, Donkey Kong Country/Land, Zero Mission, Duck Hunt, Mega Man & Bass, Fire Emblem, etc.

King of Swing's a good game but just it alone (and NOTHING on 3DS) is laughably miscalculated this week. Natsume Pride Week in Europe is totally shaming us.

I'm far from a Virtual Console apologist (No N64 games yet, the Super Mario Bros 3. situation, embarrassing weeks, numerous sales that aren't a go here, etc.) but it's a sensible move from where I stand. Smash and ORAS already have to compete between each other for fans' moolah. Many people will have to opt between one or the other, and can't justify buying VC games on top of their big priced retail release. The sort of games you mentioned would do much better in weeks where they ain't competing with big retail releases (and let's be honest, this being the Wii U we're talking about, great VC weeks should be the norm rather than the exception).

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Club Nintendo Rewards

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• ZaciSa's Last Stand (ZeNfa Productions | $1.49 until 01/07, then $1.99)
  • The Letter (TreeFall Studios | $0.49 until 11/30, then $1.99)
  • Jeopardy (Nordic Games | $TBC until 12/02, then $TBC) Upcoming 11/25
  • Wheel of Fortune (Nordic Games | $TBC until 12/02, then $TBC) Upcoming 11/25
  • Ping 1.5+ (Nami Tentou Mushi | $2.49 until 12/03, then $4.99) Upcoming 11/26

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Natsume | $TBC until 12/01, then $TBC) Upcoming 11/25
  • Harvest Moon 3D: The Tale of Two Towns (Natsume | $TBC until 12/01, then $TBC) Upcoming 11/25
  • Classic Games Overload: Card and Puzzle Edition (Telegames Inc | $19.99 until 12/01, then $29.99)
  • The Keep (Cinemax | $7.99 until 12/04, then $12.99)
  • Real Heroes Firefighter 3D (Reef Entertainment | $4.99 until 12/04, then $9.99) Upcoming 11/25
  • Big Hero 6 Battle in the Bay (Game Mill Entertainment | $19.99 until 12/10, then $29.99) Upcoming 11/26
  • Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (Avanquest Software | $19.99 until 12/10, then $29.99) Upcoming 11/26

vYU92.png

• Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
    Access Granted (€6.99 | £5.49)
    Conspiracy (€4.99 | £3.99)

Wii U | Virtual Console

• Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus)
    Clipped Wings 2 (€1.79 | £1.49)
    Snake Scale Equipment (€0.99 | £0.75)

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Wakedas (Circle Ent. | €1.99 | £1.79 until 12/11, then €2.99 | £2.50)
  • World Conqueror 3D Circle Ent. | €3.99 | £3.59 until 12/11, then €4.99 | £4.49)
  • Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games | €0.49 | £0.45 if you own Darts Up on Wii U, was €2.99 | £2.69)

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Around the World in 80 Days (Joindots | €7.99 | £7.19 | 800 Points)

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

sörine

Banned
My VC top 5 should-but-probably-won't-happen want lists:

NES
1. Crystalis
2. The Guardian Legend
3. Journey to Sillius
4. Legacy of the Wizard
5. Metal Storm

SNES
1. Terranigma
2. Soul Blazer
3. Yoshi's Island
4. Secret of Evermore
5. Tetris Attack

GB+GBC
1. Trip World
2. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
3. Final Fantasy Adventure
4. Dragon Warrior III
5. Kirby Tilt n Tumble

GBA
1. Astro Boy: Omega Factor
2. Wario Ware Twisted
3. Rhythm Tengoku
4. Drill Dozer
5. Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django

Platforms
1. TurboGrafx-16/CD
2. Sega Genesis/CD/32X
3. Neo Geo Pocket Color
4. MSX/2/+
5. Virtual Boy

sörine;139724674 said:

GB+GBC
1. Trip World
2. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
3. Final Fantasy Adventure
4. Dragon Warrior III
5. Kirby Tilt n Tumble

Not to rub it in, but I just bought Trip World yesterday.
I always thought it looked amazing graphically and wanted to try it.
How is it?

Shizuka

I have a Wii U and nine bucks on eShop, which VC game should I get? Only one I own is Earthbound and I'm a sucker for JRPGs.

JCho133

Wow, happy week for us 3DS owners!

Xeodrifter is in the final stage of Nintendo approval.

Moon Chronicles episodes 2-4 have been submitted.

And The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth 3DS has been revealed!

terrisus

sörine;139724674 said:

I'll do one of these tomorrow if I remember, but I just want to say:
Super Mario All-Stars versions of SMB 1-3 and LL.

They're the superior versions of the games (especially 2 and 3), and go sadly underappreciated.
I would buy them regardless of if they were sold as 1 game or 4.

ohlawd

Post some impressions if you do, lawdy. Been eyeing it since it came out.

holy cow lol

this game

I don't think it's that hard but it's very easy to get overwhelmed by monsters. at one point I was fighting this monster and it was straight up destroying me. then I found a new elemental spell and I destroyed it in turn. felt good. I'm gonna stop right now tho. I got to this place where I can pick what route to take but I'm not sure if I have to go through both eventually. I'm getting wrecked by the monsters. gawd man I was fighting this monster and my health was dropping like mad. I turn around and there are two of those mofos behind me.

I've been stuck on a couple puzzles too. when I figure them out I'm like "ohlawd, you a busta"

combat relies on both melee and mage. spells have cooldown so when you've exhausted them, you start attacking with your weapon. and same with weapons, they have cooldown too since stamina is finite. gotta juggle between the two styles in realtime. I've been hit and running when I can lol but sometimes that just ain't viable. I tried this once when I was in this corridor with teleporting tiles, the monster followed me anyway and I died. ran into a dead end.

I haven't messed with all the control schemes but the one I'm on is pretty much all touch with the circle pad for movement and L button for strafing. You touch to investigate stuff, drag to move items around, throw stuff by swiping. combat depends on swiping.

for melee, on 3x3, you swipe horizontally for normal attacks. it's cool that you can't just swipe randomly. gotta swipe the top row for flying enemies, bottom row for small enemies on the ground. for magic, same concept, you need scrolls and the required runes lined up correctly. like I have this one spell that needs ABC (just simplifying it) and another that needs ADF. I have them lined up like this

A B C X X
D X X X X
F X X X X

so when I cast ABC, all three runes will have to cool down but since A has faster cool times than B and C, I can cast ADF right when A is available again. so if you have a lot of spells with overlap, you can be fancy with your rune set up.

story... oh yeah, story. almost none lol. you're this one dude (who has seen some shit) who wants to kill this bad wizard who has already killed a whole bunch of other people. real meat of the game is from the dungeons; fighting and solving puzzles and traps. there's a narrator at the start of each chapter and he just builds on the world. voice acting from everyone is good. music fits the atmosphere.

you can save anywhere. anywhere. I don't like this in most games but it does alleviate the frustration from frequent deaths.

I dig this game a lot. I hear it ain't long though. whoke thing can be finished in 6-7 hours. I'll get back to it before this year ends. Pokemon and Smash soon, Persona Q next week >_>

I have a Wii U and nine bucks on eShop, which VC game should I get? Only one I own is Earthbound and I'm a sucker for JRPGs.
There are a lot of classic RPGs missing on Virtua Console, specially on NES and SNES, but what's there is very good nonetheless.

From the SNES selection, Breath of Fire 2 is a fantastic game. Harvest Moon is another nice one but it's a quirky RPG so it might not be what you're looking for. Mystical Ninja is one of my favorite games but it's only marginally an RPG and more of an action game with towns and stores and stuff between side-scrolling stages. If you consider Zelda an RPG, ALttP is awesome and I'm sure it needs no introduction.

On GBA VC, Mario & Luigi is one of the best RPGs ever, you can't go wrong with it. Zelda Minish Cap is also amazing. Golden Sun is a good game, specially if it's accompanied by its sequel, which is coming to VC soon or is already out, depending on where you live. Mario Tennis and Mario Golf have an RPG mode that's a fan-favorite. I haven't played the Mega Man Battle Network games but a lot of people like them a lot. Some people consider Advance Wars an RPG; I don't, but it's a really good game anyway.

On NES, there's Gargoyle's Quest 2 as well as the first two Zelda games, but I don't know if you're looking for more traditional RPGs. All three are very good games.

If you're interested in other genres, knowing your region and what you've played would be helpful.

TheMoon

Not official, and more of a "tease," but this more than confirms its existence

B2G3F8BIgAAgQRb.jpg

Yea those teases are quite old though. We've been getting them for a while. There was also a Wii U tease like this weeks ago. I wouldn't count this as confirmed until it's actually confirmed.

SerTapTap

I've read a lot of people have trouble with the final boss but I somehow don't have much trouble against him. You've got the Prevasion Chain equipped so make sure you're not attacking when he's going to hit (obviously...), use a gun with a lot of tags and concentrate them on his "core" when it's open, constantly double tap down while you're getting hit to instantly recover EP and not receive damage, and save your skills for HP recovery (except maybe the sword thing if you know you're gonna hit hard). All of that may sound really obvious, I'm sorry. In order to get the real ending you actually have to beat the last stage, boss included, with a special item equipped instead of Prevasion Chain, making this fight a lot harder. Are you having trouble with a specific attack?

I can't remember exactly what I had equipped when fighting him, but this is what I have equipped now. Skills: Astrasphere, Voltaic Chains, Luxcalibur, Galvanic Renewal. Gear: Vasuki (I like this gun since as long as you hit something it redistributes the tags among the enemies on screen, but something with more tags might be more useful against the boss), Dynamo Eye (max EP by 120), Flash Focus + (less EP expenditure), Boost Band + (double jump), Prevasion Chain. I probably enhanced some of the equipment after beating him but I don't think I changed things too much. I'm Level 60 now but must have been a lot lower when fighting the final boss since I only did most of the challenges afterwards.

Sorry, I know I'm not of much help. This is the OT and this is an impressions thread from when it came out. There's probably a lot better advice in there than what I just gave you. Keep at it!

You can recharge EP while actively being hit? Huh I just figured I had to wait for the animation to end. I've just been using the normal gun, I'll take a look at that one. I'm level 40 now and have basically that same equipment, I'll give it another shot tonight

JCho133

Yea those teases are quite old though. We've been getting them for a while. There was also a Wii U tease like this weeks ago. I wouldn't count this as confirmed until it's actually confirmed.

That tease is a week old

And yeah, I guess confirmed was a poor choice of words

Shizuka

Breath of Fire 2 for SNES

Or, although it's not a JRPG, Harvest Moon for SNES.

Isn't Breath of Fire 2 a direct sequel or something?

There are a lot of classic RPGs missing on Virtua Console, specially on NES and SNES, but what's there is very good nonetheless.

From the SNES selection, Breath of Fire 2 is a fantastic game. Harvest Moon is another nice one but it's a quirky RPG so it might not be what you're looking for. Mystical Ninja is one of my favorite games but it's only marginally an RPG and more of an action game with towns and stores and stuff between side-scrolling stages. If you consider Zelda an RPG, ALttP is awesome and I'm sure it needs no introduction.

On GBA VC, Mario & Luigi is one of the best RPGs ever, you can't go wrong with it. Zelda Minish Cap is also amazing. Golden Sun is a good game, specially if it's accompanied by its sequel, which is coming to VC soon or is already out, depending on where you live. Mario Tennis and Mario Golf have an RPG mode that's a fan-favorite. I haven't played the Mega Man Battle Network games but a lot of people like them a lot. Some people consider Advance Wars an RPG; I don't, but it's a really good game anyway.

On NES, there's Gargoyle's Quest 2 as well as the first two Zelda games, but I don't know if you're looking for more traditional RPGs. All three are very good games.

If you're interested in other genres, knowing your region and what you've played would be helpful.

Oh, that's definitely helpful. Unfortunately, NES games are out of the picture for me. My Wii U is registered with a US account. I was thinking about Golden Sun or Advance Wars, but now I have BoF2 in mind as well.

TheMoon

Oh, that's definitely helpful. Unfortunately, NES games are out of the picture for me. My Wii U is registered with a US account. I was thinking about Golden Sun or Advance Wars, but now I have BoF2 in mind as well.

BOF 1 was announced to be coming to VC as well (first time!) so you can get both sooner or later.

terrisus

Yeah, probably better off playing Breath of Fire 1 first, and not sure why they released 2 before 1, but 2 is a great game.

Golden Sun is definitely a good pick if you want to go with a GBA game, I highly recommend that as well.

They are not connected in any meaningful way. You will not be missing out on any serious story connections if you don't play 1 first. Every game in the series is essentially a standalone.

I would highly recommend Golden Sun. The abilities you get that interact with the game world are pretty neat. You even get a spell that can read the minds of npcs to see what they are thinking. The amount of detail and love that went into the games' world is something special indeed. It is a Nintendo/Camelot affair, so this is to be expected. I say go for Golden Sun. Visuals and music are stellar as well.

TheMoon

The great thing about the Golden Sun games is that they throw some really cool puzzles into the typical dungeons. Sometimes really complex, Zelda-level stuff. Plus the Djinn-based battle system is amazing.

terrisus

I would highly recommend Golden Sun. The abilities you get that interact with the game world are pretty neat. You even get a spell that can read the minds of npcs to see what they are thinking. The amount of detail and love that went into the games' world is something special indeed. It is a Nintendo/Camelot affair, so this is to be expected.

Yeah, I really wish more games would do that.
I loved going around, talking to everyone, and reading everyone's minds.

also

Banned
Another vote for Golden Sun. The only bad thing thing about the game are the missable Djinns, which are your main source of power.
The sequel is an even bigger game but the characters and story didn't captivate me that much so I prefer the original.
Yeah, I really wish more games would do that.
I loved going around, talking to everyone, and reading everyone's minds.
Me too!
It's too bad that it takes up one of the 2 quick access psyenergy slots so you have to spend more time in the menus if you use it.

GulAtiCa

Wow, a LOT of people downloaded my demo last night. Demo downloads = 1/3 of total game sales.

Sales itself for yesterday were rather low, but with things like Smash Bros, Pokemon/etc coming out today, hard to tell much right now. So I'll be monitoring it over next few weeks. Either way, it does mean more exposure, so that does help in the long term I think.

jmizzal

Wow, a LOT of people downloaded my demo last night. Demo downloads = 1/3 of total game sales.

Sales itself for yesterday were rather low, but with things like Smash Bros, Pokemon/etc coming out today, hard to tell much right now. So I'll be monitoring it over next few weeks. Either way, it does mean more exposure, so that does help in the long term I think.

I downloaded it, tower defense games are not my thing, but I can tell your game is quality and well made with a lot of thought put into it.

Chopper

Any news on a Euro release?

Another thing you should know about Breath of Fire 2 is that the English translation is horrendous. There are times where you have to re-read parts of it to get whatever the translator is trying to say in it's broken and nonsensical form. It really is one of the worst I've seen, and I'm not trying to be hyperbolic.

GulAtiCa

Any news on a Euro release?

Good news and bad news!

Bad news: Decided not worth the effort to get the ratings of ZaciSa 1.
Good news: ZaciSa 2 sequel (won't really be called that) which currently aiming for a Feb or March release will have a North American/Europe release of same time. Though ZaciSa 2 (again, not it's name) will be much bigger in scope and in gameplay evolved and more features, it's core features at heart will be there.

ZaciSa 1 has 8 maps currently (11 after this patch I'm working on), which I plan to include in ZaciSa 2, though some slightly updated to be more dynamic, and aiming for 20 maps to launch with.

Didn't mention the sale?
That's silly.

So I finally figured out what the issue was here. I talked to them, and seems they generally complete the PR a week in advance and have it sent of to legal/other departments for review. I was always sending my price sale request that Friday the week before, so I kept sending it in a day late to be included. So now I know to send it in like 2 weeks in advance, which is what I really should have been doing in 1st place.

Luckily for this current sale, they will mention it in next weeks PR for Thanksgiving. So that will help. :)

Chopper

Good news and bad news!

Bad news: Decided not worth the effort to get the ratings of ZaciSa 1.
Good news: ZaciSa 2 sequel (won't really be called that) which currently aiming for a Feb or March release will have a North American/Europe release of same time. Though ZaciSa 2 (again, not it's name) will be much bigger in scope and in gameplay evolved and more features, it's core features at heart will be there.

ZaciSa 1 has 8 maps currently (11 after this patch I'm working on), which I plan to include in ZaciSa 2, though some slightly updated to be more dynamic, and aiming for 20 maps to launch with.
Brilliant. I can't wait to finally give it a shot.

Alright guys, I'll get Golden Sun. Wish me luck!

Intro events before you can go to the world map and leave the starting town are pretty wordy. Just giving you a heads up.

Playing it on my Gamepad and it looks so much nicer than on my Original GBA. Some of the visuals in this game still look damn good today. The towns and dungeon graphics look like a lot of effort went into them. And it actually has a Motoi Sakuraba OST that I like. What he was able to do on the GBA sound chip deserves respect.

Top Bottom