• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone else has the WiFi problem, it was a security setting. I changed my router from WPA to WPA2 and all was well. Will have to fuss with that some if I want to get it working on Wii also, though...

DjRalford

My daughters one is all setup, all updated and shes had a few games of 1-2 switch wih the family and a go on the snipperclips demo.

Its very snappy, games load nice and quick, the joycons are virtually weightless though and it makes them feel cheap but at the same time it also makes you forget you're holding them when playing.

So far so good.

BizzyBum

Just got mine. There is a weird mark below the screen, slightly to the left. Is this normal? It's such a perfect shape like a half circle elongated I thought it's a sensor or something?

Same here, initially thought it was a smudge but it's just some sensor.

joker3782

Neo Member
I just played some zelda for about 4 hours or so and oh man I'm loving this system. The portability factor is such a great thing and it feels good to play on. I'm loving the clean looking UI (although I do miss the music). I wish there were online features such as miiverse but hopefully they implement something like that later. As for now I'm really liking it.

Oh and Zelda is a blast too.

I thought that too but a collegue recently mentioned you should never do that and instead have the charge between 20% and 100%. No idea what's correct anymore. Just like with coffee causing cancer or not or being healthy

"Finkle is Einhorn. Einhorn is Finkle."

Does shovel Knight treasure trove come with specter of torment? Seems like it will on other systems unless I am reading things wrong. Don't want to spend money I don't need to.

Also how do you find demos, esp on the Japanese store?

level1

Got my switch. Tested joycons extensively. No drops from 10 feet away with wall in between and behind my back. I can now put my mind at rest and enjoy :D Oh yeah, and joycons are actually really comfy while in the grip. Some of you guys had me worried :D

BizzyBum

Basic Black Theme is also much better, IMO. Looking forward to the custom themes eventually.

Also, when I docked my screen space was too large for my TV at 100%. The arrows lined up perfectly at 96% so check that setting for people using their TVs.

Mobius 1

Wasn't going to get one, saw it in stock on Amazon Prime Now, got it. Almost feels like I cheated other people with preorders that had issues.

I really like the build quality of this. Not fond of the colored controllers, may want to swap for gray ones.

Sami+

How good is Joycon motion control compared to the Wiimote? Would be cool to have a Metroid Trilogy port or something.

Hasney

So I was listening to the Beastcast and they were saying the battery doesn't fully charge while playing, ends at 88%. Just pulled mine out after a long Zelda session and I've got 100%. Is anyone experiencing that, or was that in the update do you think?

On the subjects of downloads, mine have been great, but I do have a USB ethernet adaptor.

USPS lost my 1 - 2 Switch order. How long do refunds with Amazon take? Would like to just download it (shit reviews aside) but I don't really want to be out $80 in the interim tbh.

after seeing all of the great reviews of Zelda and positive thoughts of the Switch itself I kinda want to get one now...only place around me is Walmart and they are sold out so I'll just have to sit back and wait for one

mattp

has anyone or any sites tried using a standard usb-c multiport adapter with the switch?
do we know if the dock is proprietary yet?

something like this:

CrisKre

I just want to chime and say that like most people here im super impressed but how attractive and well engineered and constructed the whole Switch kit is. It trully seems like a step forward for Nintendo. Loving everything about the system so far, especially how snappy, elegant and efficient the UI is.

Went to the city and searched several shops.
Switch games are around but the system was gone everywhere

I guess it was to be expected

tesqui

Just got Switch! Bought Zelda digitally. There's no estimated time left, but it seems to be going pretty slow. Please add some stats to the downloads Nintendo.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am going to go ahead and get this out of the way... the joycons are fucking garbage. I don't know if they are actually joking thinking I can use half of one of these to play a game, but that shit is never happening.
They are 'good enough' while attached to the tablet, and the pro controller is pretty good, although still a little too small for me and the grips are too inward facing to be comfortable... there is no way I will ever use this little ass keychain to play a game multiplayer.

kubinsky

Has anyone tried the Dragon Quest Heroes Demo yet?

Got terrible performance most of the time in Dock mode. Will try it again later in tablet mode, hopefully it makes a huge difference.

SHarris78

Thoughts on the HD rumble? I dont have 1-2 Switch, so Fast RMX is my only experience of it so far. The only difference to me is that it rumbles a lot quicker than old-style rumble, so it feels smoother - and that's about it. The Fast RMX guys who said you could play the games using the HD rumble with your eyes closed - never.

Fou-Lu

All my concerns are dead now that I have this thing in my hands. Feels amazing, looks amazing, no issues so far, honestly surprised how comfortable I find the joycons sideways. Just about to play some Zelda.

Coda

Yo wait what?!?!?!

So if I make a japanese account right now, I can get blaster master??? And it translates it into english!??!

Yup it's absolutely amazing.

Here's how you do it...
Very easy. Go to accounts.nintendo.com. Create a new account with an email you didn't use before. Set the region to japan. Log into the account on your switch (make sure you have set up a new user for this). Set the region of your switch to japan. Log into the eshop and it works. The eshop will complain that the current language setting (english or whatever yours is) isn't supported and it will show the one it does (japanese). Once you are finished you can set the region of the switch back to the one you used before. The region of the switch is what decides what eshop is loaded.

Kyuur

Use the strap on the replacement Joy-Con you have to buy.

Yep, seems that I am boned. Calibration did nothing, same with rebooting the system and resyncing etc. Bought a replacement pair (gray instead of my nice neon...).

Trying to open up the blue L joycon to see if I can fix it or see what's wrong, but I don't have the right kind of screwdriver it seems.

If you have the Switch in tabletop mode with no Joycons attached and you wake it up, are you required to turn both Joycons on or can I just use one to control it?

Jerm411

Was surprised how quick my Switch updated as did BotW....was worried it'd take forever lol.

Really dig the OS, Shop, etc....everything is sharp and quick and easy to navigate.

I'm already in love with this system...think Nintendo knocked it outta the park.

Is there a thread up yet to exchange friend codes...?

7roject28

Does the cartridge rattle for you guys also? When I first stuck Zelda in it didn't come up on the screen. Waited a little bit and still didn't show up. So I took it out and then I noticed it was rattling inside. I thought maybe the chip is loose inside and that's why it's not reading. So I blew on it like a NES cart and stuck it back in and it came up.

Having a blast with it so far. One thing I've had problems with is the eShop downloads in docked mode. Weirdly when I changed to portable mode it was fine though. Very odd. Went from constant crashing downloading fast rmx, went portable and voila, downloaded super quick. Could just be the server though I guess and pure luck from when I changed over.

Eggiem

Does the cartridge rattle for you guys also? When I first stuck Zelda in it didn't come up on the screen. Waited a little bit and still didn't show up. So I took it out and then I noticed it was rattling inside. I thought maybe the chip is loose inside and that's why it's not reading. So I blew on it like a NES cart and stuck it back in and it came up.

Yes. (EU Version btw)

My question: Should I turn the switch off, or should I use the standby mode? How will it affect the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom