• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
I really like how the joycons feel in the grip. I was worried that I'd be kicking myself for not pre-ordering a pro controller but thankfully that's not the case.

Just to be sure, the Wii U and 3DS eshop codes work on Switch, right?

My Game Activity via Parental Controla app
NSJZooD.jpg

jacobeid

Banned
I'll report back later today on the surge case from Amazon.

Following up from my earlier post regarding this case if anyone is curious, and I searched and haven't seen any mention of it so thought it might be useful:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6RMR30/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Overall I'm pretty impressed with it. The case has a nice feel and the build quality seems great, especially for the price. The zippers feel like they'll last awhile and the Switch fits snug; it's not completely tight but not at all loose, it's pretty perfect. There's definitely enough room for you to put the joycon straps and a cord in the spot up top.

My official PDP case is coming on Monday but honestly this one is pretty great.

Rncewind

Question here:

Atm. i have not a TV but only a Monitor without spekears. Can i put in usb headphones on to the switch/dockstation to play with sound or is this not possible? thx in advance

I'm impressed by how little time and work it took to get everything setup. From opening the box to having everything hooked up to the TV, my pro controller synched, the Switch updated, my Nintendo Network ID account linked, Snipperclips downloaded, and Zelda booted up, it was about 20 minutes. That's unusually quick.

So far, OS feels great and the hardware all feels well built.

zenspider

I am so impressed with this hardware, BotW, and this new Nintendo.

For example: if I'm playing Yakuza 0 and I'm not near a phone booth and I want to play a quick game of For Honor before going to work, I'm not in a match for almost 10 minutes, none of which are enjoyable.

Today I was playing Zelda and had to "talk to an Old Man about Epona", saved my game in seconds, remembered I had a Switch, brought it with me, played a bit, decided to setup tabletop Bomberman on the rack in my bathroom just cause, went back to my TV and fired up Fast RMX, switched controller config mid-race to try NES-style JoyCon with the shoulder-bumper, then settled back into Zelda right where I left off, all in about 15-20 minutes.

Everything is so smooth and fast. I've always thought Nintendo had always over-designed, and I've found their UIs and even games to be cumbersome despite being well polished, usable, and charming: new Nintendo is slick, speedy and dynamic.

This is a far cry from the Wii U "Quick Menu" and resetting your 3DS because you forgot to turn wifi on before starting up the eShop.

This thing is so slick, and the UX is so smooth, I think it has a long life ahead of it even when Sony and Microsoft re-up the ante just on the "portable+" experience on offer.

/gush

Wow, the box is so small I actually thought the UPS guy did not drop my Switch off. Seeing what I thought was some sandals in a small box my heart gave me that sinking feeling. It only got worse when I picked it up and felt how light it was. I then opened it up and was like BAM! GAME ON!!!

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Damn this thing is fucking nice as hell ! Nintendo knocked it out of the a ball park. Now imagine 3DS or DS Virtual Console and a full on Pokémon game for it.

I hope this is the right thread but does anyone know how to get 2 player mode on shock troopers with just the 2 joycon?

it says to add 2 credits and hit start on the 2nd controller but each joycon I start with launches into single player only.

So... posting this again because my post got missed before. It seems we don't get My Nintendo points for purchasing the Switch console itself? Fairly lame if so.

Tetraeon

I pulled the trigger on the Switch and Zelda, everything is polished and sleek so far. Had a little trouble with getting the wrist straps on and off the joycons at first. Spent some time in the menus exploring the UI and I'm about to dive into BotW!

I find it creepy personally, like a kid always wanting the attention. Its a corporate name not a person, and secondly its an indirect boast of "We can cheer on this other company because we are dominating console sales and nintendo is no threat to our business"

dude these people all know each other.

Today played Zelda while commuting... and discovered that the bus made Link's aim drift at every turn. Not really game breaking, but quite annoying. Isn't there a way to disable motion controls on the game or the whole console?

Mariolee

Can I just glow about how smooth the Switch was to set up? Plug it in, turn it on, download the day 1 update (only took like 5-10 min) switch to dock with a couple cables for power and HDMI, and overall everything was good to go in like 15 min. Not too shabby.

.J.

Banned
Very annoyed.

Went to my local Wal-Mart this morning. I'd called, and they had two units left, which I was going to pick up for myself and a buddy. I get to the electronics section, and there's only one unit left (sorry, buddy), and I approach the woman working there and I ask, "Is that switch claimed by anyone yet?" She said no, and told me to go wait near the console.

Another employee comes by, unlocks the case for me, grabs a copy of Zelda for me, and I'm on the way to the register. My step gets a little lighter--I'm pumped! I didn't think I'd possibly get one on launch day, especially after working all night and missing the midnight launch.

Out of nowhere comes this old lady shrilly yelling, "HE WAS BEHIND ME. I WAS IN LINE FIRST. THAT SWITCH IS MINE." and on and on and on. Fuck, dude. That lady was nowhere to be seen.

But I'm not going to get into a yelling match with some old woman at Wal-Mart at 7:30 in the morning, so I just said fuck it and left. But her attitude and approach was so bad, I wish I'd just said, "Sorry 'bout it", and bought the damned thing anyway.

Called a few more places, but that was the last Switch in at least 50 miles.

Guess I'm waiting for the restock.

asa

Anyone else still having Joycon connectivity issues? I just hooked up Switch to my hometheater(switch is behind me) and right controller constantly drops off when playing zelda. I thought Nintendo fixed this with day one update(which I downloaded).

Just got mine from TRU, there was virtually no line.

Biggest problem thus far is it won't see my WiFi SSID. Couldn't get it to connect manually either. Anyone else having this issue?

Kyuur

Left joycon slipped out of my hand, fell on floor and now the analog isn't going left all the way. Any suggestions? :|

Question, so I have a Nintendo ID account from my 3ds. I merged that account to something called My Nintendo. When i later open my Switch when out of workplace. I will just nees to put in the My Nintendo thing and all will be good? Or will i need to enter the nintendo id as well?

Is there a way to tell if the joycons are charging? I put my Switch into sleep mode while I am grabbing some lunch, so I slid them back into the switch dock with it plugged in. No light is on anywhere though. Are they charging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom