• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing this horrible horrible horrible conference, weird mario, lack of anything at launch besides Zelda....It's been said a million times.....Nintendo is Doomed!!!! Well it's the first time I honestly think they are.

tDXwZIY.gif

So, if I'm got everything right, the Switch will from Nintendo themselves have:

1. Zelda at launch in March.
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with new modes, characters and tracks in April.
2. Splatoon 2 in the summer.
4. Super Mario Odysee at the holidays

That's four of their biggest IP's within 6 months, with the more gimmicky 1-2 Switch and Arms at the launch also. Not that bad for a Nintendo console launch imho, but I'm not their biggest fan either.

Since when did $300 become expensive? Did $50 really make that big of a difference?

It's not that is expensive by itself, it just there is nothing to play other than Zelda, accessories are expensive, online cost money and hardware is very weak. None of the games looked really much better than WiiU games. And for some of us it will be only used as a home console. If I could get just the box that play the games and pro controller with no screeen and joy cons I would be extremely happy.

Are those fp16 flops? If so its not even relevant

Nope, Dreamcast hardware was fantastic and priced fairly

And it actually had an amazing launch lineup.

Meanwhile Nintendo doesn't seem to have a stacked release of first-party games for its launch window (only 1 2 Switch and Zelda has confirmed dates!), even with all of their developers supposedly in tow for this thing.

New Info from Nintendo's website:
  • Touch Screen is 720p
  • Internal Storage is 32GB
  • Can Be Expanded using microSDXC Cards
  • BotW's battery life estimated at 3 hours.
  • Online service includes proper chat lobby
  • Subscribers get one free NES/SNES VC title a month

Aw, nuts, I was hoping for $250 or less.

People were like : yeah its 250 and its pascal, lol
-weakest console
-abysmal launch line up
-expensive accesories
-Additional SD card
-No pack in game
-Online Paywall
-Online Infrastructure looks confusing and bad as hell.

- its a handheld
- like for any console
- is this a bad thing? Do we now want the vita memory stick for switch?
- yeah I was hoping for 1,2 switch bundle
- sadly kow the standard (but there will be monthly VC games for free)
- we will have to see how it runs

Machina

Banned
New Info from Nintendo's website:
  • Touch Screen is 720p
  • Internal Storage is 32GB
  • Can Be Expanded using microSDXC Cards
  • BotW's battery life estimated at 3 hours.

- Wii U +
- Nothing but Zelda at launch
- $300 U.S
- Paid Online
- 32GB of storage......

FFS, Nintendo.

Banned

Yep. No buy.

That's too high.

Lol well that's that.

Higher then I thought. =(

Aw, nuts, I was hoping for $250 or less.

DOA in Canada.

Too much, I'll wait for it go down in price.

RIP in peace Nintendo

edit: and paid online, its lit

wow.........ballsy.

by ballsy i mean stupid.
Wow lol.

With a controller and Zelda this is easily 420€ in Europe. Paid online where you can download for free a NES or SNES game and play it for a month(lmao), 32GB of memory.

3 hours battery for a Zelda like type of game. Not a single word on VC or a proper account system. Didn't showed the difference on a game in portable vs dock mode, which will obviously be a thing. The forced gimmicks, once again.

Not looking good.

People opt to spend $300 on a Nintendo system instead of a more powerful, heavily 3rd-party supported system because of the first party Nintendo ecosystem. You can't have that without actual games (outside of Zelda) and you'll lose anyone on the fence. Japanese hubris.

They're not going to get a lot of third-party support if their maximum storage capacity is 32 GB internal + microSDXC and your average PS4/Bone game is 50 GB in size. That's enough storage for like 2 games on a 128 GB microSDXC, not to mention an SD card is way way slower than a SATA HDD/SSD and loading times would be biblical in duration.

Remember how Nintendo fans mocked 3rd party developers for releasing inferior games late on Nintendo platforms at a higher price than what is available on competing platforms. Well Nintendo just did the hardware equivalent of this to themselves.

Gurish

It would be third console with paid online for me as I pay for PS+ and Xbox Live aready, so no, not happening. Even if I ever get it in the future I won't pay for Nintendo online services.

Yup.

Payed online for not a main console is a big factor, you can't compare it to PSN or XBL, people are paying for enough shit on a monthly basis like Netflix, HBO, Spotify, Apple Music etc... they are willing to also put some money monthly for their gaming service as we've seen with both other consoles but not to the point of paying for ANOTHER gaming service, one is enough for most.

Surprised FFXV isn't getting the switch treatment

It can't run it unless you would downgrade it significantly to a point of the game losing its appeal.

Flare

$300 is waaaay too much, considering paid online (for what appears to be meager features), and $80 joycons and a $70 pro controller. No way. Nope.

BobLoblaw

Banned
They fucked up everything about this.
Well, on the positive side....yeah. I got nothing. I don't really see anything revolutionary about this. The pricing is all wrong for the hardware that you get, the online will surely be shoddy, only this time people have to pay for it, the battery life kills the portable aspect, and the hardware itself is dated to say the least.

StereoVsn

The part about modern 3rd party games and graphics is what's going to kill them. It feels like they went the Nintendo games machine route again like they did with the Wii U. I will be pretty surprised if there is significant 3rd party support on the switch. Based on what I've seen so far there really isn't any compelling reason for someone to pickup a 3rd party on the switch vs a PS4 or XBOne.

Seems like Nintendo really screwed the pooch on this one.

I don't believe things are that dire. They will be at 3DS situation with the OG price drop vs Wii-U. You can see all the Japanese companies are on board. You have Atlus, Capcom, NISA, SE, etc... have game reveals. So already that's better then first 18 months on the Wii-U even if it is ports to start (Disgaea, Setsuna, etc...).

So once Nintendo takes in revenue from early adapters at higher prices, they could drop the pricing to say $250 or offer say $220-230 handheld only unit (joycons yes, dock no) by Holidays 2017. We shall see.

Edit:
They barely got it to run on Xbox as it is.

Kingdom Hearts ports though could easily come to the Switch. They have 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 out on PS4 (and Xbone?) and it's old games so could be ported easily enough.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
$300 for a tablet that plug into a TV for 720 graphics while a PS4 is $250? Good luck, pump out those Mario games, they eat that up.

Price is too high, I'm only excited about Xeno 2 and the whole joy-thing looks pretty bad. I love Nintendo and I'm a very happy Wii U owner, but... Man, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom