• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirap

That would make no damn sense.

Why would they cannibalize themselves like that? No console ever has done something like that - and for good reason.

No recent console has had a launch lineup as thin as this. Nintendo needs all the momentum they can get.

killatopak

Gold Member
PV5zV1T.jpg

XWuNY1C.jpg

y0DIEgA.jpg

N1MgkOR.jpg

GM2pMi7.jpg

0qAWMSP.jpg

mQ81LHS.jpg

tvIwZ2t.jpg

2yabGJG.jpg

mjyLkSe.jpg

LQSeJYP.jpg

iUVibz5.jpg

naUl2XH.jpg

4X9MOMn.jpg

sqwarlock

I legit can't believe that "1, 2, Switch" isn't a bundled title. Wii Sports and, to a lesser extent, NintendoLand helped the value proposition a bit for their respective consoles.

HotHamBoy

So many salty people at the 300, accept a new high quality product priced decently why don't you

Oh boy. These assurance posts.

The market speaks for itself. If a lot of hardcore gamers think it's too much then guess how the general public is going to react? How about when they see the price for additional controllers?
Zelda has never been a mainstream system seller, either. Wii sports was the big Wii seller AND it was a pack-in. 1,2 Switch is no Wii Sports and it isn't even included.

Bishop89

New Info from Nintendo's website:
  • Touch Screen is 720p
    [*] Internal Storage is 32GB
  • Can Be Expanded using microSDXC Cards
  • BotW's battery life estimated at 3 hours.
  • Online service includes proper chat lobby
  • Subscribers get one free NES/SNES VC title a month

Are you fucking kidding me. These bastards did it again....
What a joke.

North American Switch Lineup according to Nintendo:
March 2017
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R
Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions)

April 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Spring 2017
Arms

Summer 2017
Splatoon 2

Fall 2017
Skyrim

Holiday 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

Project Sonic 2017
NBA 2k18
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Mania
I Am Setsuna

TBD
1, 2, Switch
Arcade Archives
FIFA
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2
Farming Simulator
Fast RMX (that F-zero lookalike from the sizzle)
Fire Emblem Warriors
Minecraft Story Mode The complete adventure
Minecraft
Puyopuyo Tetris
Rayman Legends Definitive edition
Rime
Shin Megami Tensei
Skylanders Imaginators
Siberia 3
Steep

That's for the Japanese.

200.gif

Sheroking

No recent console has had a launch lineup as thin as this. Nintendo needs all the momentum they can get.

No console EVER has done that. None. The only thing they get by doing that is significantly under-utilizing a meaningful exclusive.

If anything, they should have fit a B-title in there like the Mario Kart 8 port.

CTLance

I gotta admit, that's a bit rich for my blood, especially given the paywall'd online services. And, well, the rather luxurious prices for accessories and stuff. Ooof. Switch is definitely no longer a day one purchase for me. Not like it ever was, but to be honest, I'd probably have been swept up by the hype and bought it near launch, being a hopeless Nintendo fanboy and all. Now, I'd rather wait for a while and grab a bundle down the line. If at all.

Fyrion

God, that price for such underwhelming features... Damnit, Nintendo No! no ! no ! Brand loyalty doesn't work that way........

Mmm actually, after reading some posts I'm not so sure right now.

banktree

Banned
Yeah this. I really don't get that.

People were thinking $250, free online, and a pack-in game. Maybe not Zelda, but something. Also with a lineup worth something.

With this you have $300, paid online, no pack-in at all, and the only game for months worth mentioning is Zelda. As well, it looks about the same amount of power as the Wii U, and it's got heavy focus on gimmicks that nobody cares about. Nobody's going to be taking this thing to a party.

It's not just the $50, it's the fact that the package as presented isn't even worth $250. Pricing it at $300 on a shelf next to a PS4 at the same price makes this as DOA as the Wii U. Instead of replacing both of Nintendo's lines of business, this just killed them.

Third party Nintendo looks like a non-insignificant possibility in the future. They're putting all their eggs in one basket. It looks to be a subpar handheld with poor battery life, and a subpar console with woefully underpowered specs. Shareholders are not going to be pleased I think.

Machina

Banned
Say goodbye to Nintendo hardware if this thing tanks again. They will have no choice but to throw in the towel on this pointless rubbish.

Kilvas

I'll hope for a Splatoon2/MK8 Deluxe $300-250 for the Holiday. At least a core MP title pack in. Never buy games full price and I'm not about to set myself up to be thirsty.

Col.Asher

I am mostly dissapointted. Imma play some dark souls, go to bed, and hope that some information is clarified in the morning.

This is what Wii U should have been in the first played. Wii U was a prototype, we've been played.
tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.gif

At least we'll get proper (non-gimmick) games.

So many salty people at the 300, accept a new high quality product priced decently why don't you

Problem with that logic is that there already exists two products, PS4 and XB1, that are both cheaper and better if you just want a home console. Even if you want to treat the Switch as a handheld, you have Zelda, the only major game at launch, getting around 3 hours battery life. It kinda defeats the purpose of a handheld if you have to keep finding someplace to plug it in.

filly

The price is laughable, but given the fact Nintendo can't product stock well, it's going to sell out. I'm surprised Zelda is day one also. Low stock hardware mixed with a must have title is going to cause a bit of a frenzy, a lot of frustrated in happy people are going to be generated. I don't know why they feel they need to do it this way, inevitably It will hurt the people most loyal to them.

No console EVER has done that. None. The only thing they get by doing that is significantly under-utilizing a meaningful exclusive.

If anything, they should have fit a B-title in there like the Mario Kart 8 port.

Yeah I don't remember such a bad line up in a long time if ever and I usually always buy most if not all games that launch with the console and here there is only one choice, Zelda.

Rizzi

For the same price as the Switch, you can buy one of the more powerful consoles here in Australia. With games.

Piggus

People were expecting > 720p for the handheld screen? Y'all delusional or some shit?

Have you paid any attention to what screens phones and tablets are using these days? 1080p panels are dirt cheap. The problem here is that a very underpowered GPU is being used that doesn't really justify the price tag.

Yeah. I'd be way more understanding if WiiU's last couple years had been similar to the PS3's goodbye. But there's no excuse for such a sparse first year here.

This happens every time. Nintendo abandons their previous system early and then has launch droughts for the next one. Within a few months after launch Nintendo will then come out and apologize for launch droughts and say they learned from their mistakes. This literally happens every time.

sirap

You're missing the point. Consider Nintendo's current situation and the performance of their pass launches. They need to do something different, not stick with what's been done in the past.

The last thing Nintendo needs right now is another Wii U.

At no point in it's existence did Vita actually have games support from Sony, which is a pretty significant difference.

Lolwut? Vita had a lot of support from Sony during it's first 1-2 years. Gravity Rush, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, MLB The Show, Playstation All-Stars, Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway, Littlebigplanet. There was a lot of first and second-party support on Vita in the early days, until Sony realized the little guy just wasn't selling and the third parties started to pull the plug.

whipihguh

Banned
1-2 Switch not being a pack-in title like Wii Sports is absurd.

There's really no excuse for it. It looks significantly sparser than Wii Sports was and that was a pack-in.

It sure as hell ain't worth $50 unless there's a LOT more minigames than what they've already shown.

T-Rex.

Banned
£280 in the UK which is pretty close to the price of a Pro, and a lot more expensive than a PS4 which you can get for around £200 lmao. I was kinda excited about the Switch, but I think I'll wait before potentially buying it.

Sarobi

Banned
Going to have to pass on this until a price drop. I know that you have to look at this as a handheld device, but it's tough for me to think that I'd be spending the same amount of money on this as I would if I bought a PS4 Pro. I'll wait to see how they handle their online services and games in a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom