• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
Pre-order is up on amazon.de

FLuNuZb.png

NEON it is.

Frillen

- Things being more expensive than expected is not good news
- Lackluster launch line-up
- Paywall for online is not good news, but expected?
- 900p Zelda is a bit worrisome

Still though, I will be there day one only because of Zelda. Yes, I know about the Wii U version, but I suspect the framerate will be awful.

daffy

Banned
To be fair, MS has their shit together for its network and has almost 2 decades of experience.
Hmmm. No, that's actually not fair at all. In fact if you look at what Nintendo is doing with their service its alot similar to what Microsoft did in 2002

- Things being more expensive than expected is not good news
- Lackluster launch line-up
- Paywall for online is not good news, but expected?
- 900p Zelda is a bit worrisome

Still though, I will be there day one only because of Zelda. Yes, I know about the Wii U version, but I suspect the framerate will be awful.
Zelda fanbase will probably work day and night to get it running smoothly on cemu (wii u emulator) as soon as possible. Butythe wii u version, rip it and play it on your pc

I'm as salty as anyone about the GGC shutdown, but I do honestly want to play some of Nintendo's games without having to buy their shitty hardware.

Same, at this point I would rather have them release their games as 3rd party on Playstation consoles so I don't have to buy an overpriced console with underpowered hardware, a very limited library AND a god-awful online subscription too if I want to play them online (or heck, chat with my friends without having to use my smartphone for that).

If they go 3rd party their games will end up on more powerful hardware, I can save money to actually buy the games and I only have to pay for the far superior PS+ subscription. Ah yes, and affordable peripherals and controllers.

Jinroh

If this console is not successful, and looking at the price and lineup I don't think it will, you can bet everything you want Nintendo will announce a 3DS successor next year.

If it fails there's no way they would abandon their handled consoles.

StayDead

They've said the games are region free, but does that mean I can buy a UK switch and use my Japanese Nintendo Account (to access the Japanese store) on it do we know?

I need to know if I need to import.

The price is a bit steep, but the realization that I won't have to buy an even pricier second system down the line for Nintendo's entire lineup for the rest of the generation honestly makes the value proposition much, much less daunting for me. So there are certainly large value benefits for me, especially when I have a PC for third party games, and a PS4 basically covers the rest, the Xbone offers me very little else of value. A single Nintendo box I can use both on the TV and handheld is honestly pretty fantastic.

I'm honestly thinking Nintendo is playing the long game here - if they really are focusing on trying to make the first truly iterative console, the Switch not doing all that well might not be a huge deal when the Switch 2 is instantly compatible with the entire Switch library right off the bat. Plus, considering how well Nintendo have been marketing this thing so far (say what you will about the actual event, but their communication for this thing has been on fucking point), they could still get plenty of buyers to overlook the price.

Elfstruck

At least you'll be playing some great Nintendo games. The way Sony shutting down studios, there is no guarantee that you will be play Sony games on a Playstation hardware.
What a hyperbole post. They are shutting down studios and putting that resources into other projects. Sony games arent going anywhere.

Toxi

Banned
I'm really baffled with the choices Nintendo made with this. The presentation itself was awful aside from the game trailers.

300 bucks is just flat out too expensive to compete with the other consoles. The base PS4 is 300 dollars with a game, has more powerful specs, cheaper accessories, and a larger library of games. The 32gb storage capacity is a joke when you compare it to the 500gb ps4 hard drive. It also has a huge install base, so the odds of playing with your friends is much higher. Nintendo games also rarely go on sale in comparison to PS4 titles, so there's even more lost value there.

The Switch as a portable device seems terrible. The battery life is abysmal, so if you're planning on playing it on the go, you're going to need a battery bank. It's also bulky, so it's going to be competing for space in your bag with laptops and tablets. Not having built in voice chat just adds to the clunkiness. For the price, it's going to have to feel like a very premium item, which I doubt based on its plastic design.

The online subscription is just a slap in the face. Unless it is an absurdly low price, like the 5 dollars a year for the pokemon storage bank, it'll have no appeal. The "free SNES or NES game" is insulting, and even more so if the badly worded "for a month" actually does mean what it says. If you're going to charge money for 27+ year old games, you'd need to give a large amount of them. They'd need to just give you access to the entire SNES and NES library, which obviously would never happen. The only positive thing to come out of it is online for old games, which would be amazing. I'd love to play Mario Kart SNES online with a friend.

The only high note is the games, which are limited. Zelda looks amazing, but it's also on the Wii U, so it isn't even an exclusive. The heavy hitters like Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon aren't even launch titles, which is terrible. Unless I missed something, they didn't even announce a Smash Bros port, which has to happen.

Espada

Man, the cost of the Switch would be pretty brutal once I start thinking about it. I'd need the online subscription service, the ethernet dongle (I prefer wired internet), and a large capacity SD card. Tack on LoZ:BotW and things get expensive really quick.

AHA-Lambda

Well caught up with most of the announcements now.
This is the most Nintendo of Nintendo cock ups in quite some time, incredible seeing as they had so much good will going into it.

Everything about the online functionality especially is utterly comedic.

And with that battery life, is it even a handheld? So much missing of the mark here. I can't believe I stayed up and watched that. The cigar was nice, but I'm up at 5:00 and have to work then go to a concert tonight. The least Nintendo could have done is wow me for how tired I am right now.

As worked out in another thread this is like $312 U.S

I'm sorry your currency is weaker right now, but you're not paying much more than anyone else. (At least that's my understanding because you guys have Tax included in the price there, whereas the U.S doesn't)

Its insane because as others have stated even in this thread, that for that money you can buy a Ps4 with a couple of games.

And $470 +1 game. = $560. Madness.

The price is a bit steep, but the realization that I won't have to buy an even pricier second system down the line for Nintendo's entire lineup for the rest of the generation honestly makes the value proposition much, much less daunting for me. So there are certainly large value benefits for me, especially when I have a PC for third party games, and a PS4 basically covers the rest, the Xbone offers me very little else of value. A single Nintendo box I can use both on the TV and handheld is honestly pretty fantastic.

I'm honestly thinking Nintendo is playing the long game here - if they really are focusing on trying to make the first truly iterative console, the Switch not doing all that well might not be a huge deal when the Switch 2 is instantly compatible with the entire Switch library right off the bat. Plus, considering how well Nintendo have been marketing this thing so far (say what you will about the actual event, but their communication for this thing has been on fucking point), they could still get plenty of buyers to overlook the price.

Pretty much my thoughts. The system is going to do just fine.

yophlow

Banned
Nintendo could have made this huge. I know it's hard and expensive to develop games, but that's NOTHING compared to making and releasing an entire console It's absurd they also wouldn't commit more resources to getting more games done in time.

ONE single game worth getting that is basically a Wii U port? That's all they could make in time for the Switch? And it's an (extremely overhyped for what we've seen) Zelda?

If they announced a new Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Kart and a solid list of 50 or so VC titles, this could have been massive. Hell, even some decent Wii U ports that are free for Wii U owners would have done it. I would have bought one if I could jump on and download my Wii U library on day one.

Instead, it's DOA. The poor launch will create poor buzz, and it's next to impossibly to rebuild that momentum. The only way to create that launch excitement would have been a great lineup of games. They failed.

I don't normally doom and gloom like this at all when it comes to this kind of stuff. But man, I don't see them recovering.

Coffinhal

It was simple

No paid subscription
Three big games at launch, even remasters

250 without game
300 with a cool Zelda pack
350 with three games and accessories

and accessories that cost not more than 50 euros. Who wants to paid 70 for a gamepad???

So yeah I'll wait until they bundle the shit with 3 games and free online later in the year after they died on the stock market, in the press and in supermarkets

While I do think 250 would have been a better price, I don't really understand these complaints. "It costs as much as a PS4!" Um, the PS4 will be four years old this year, four years! The Switch is a new system and will eventually see a price drop down the line, like the PS4 already had to even get down to 300.

And then apparently it would have been a day one purchase for some at 250, but 300 is way too much? It's a difference of 50 bucks, come on...

Rodin

I loved everything they showed (Zelda, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, Zelda, the game from the BD team, ARMS, Zelda, Splatoon 2, Zelda Zelda Zelda) but that price and paid online... eehhh. I really don't know what were they thinking, especially here in Europe it's absurd.

Previous reports and rumors heavily hinted at a lower price point than expected, and yet here we are with 299/329. Is it possible that the overwhelmingly positive reactions to the reveal trailer made them say "fuck it, let's charge premium for this"? Because as stupid as it sounds, it's either that or they want to reposition themselves as a "premium" brand (like already seen with Mario Run)... but that should imply premium hardware as well.

Would you pay $300 for a ps3?

The answer is no because it's ancient hardware

As much as i think Switch overpriced and they fucked up... It's not even remotely the same thing.

usp84

Worldwide my ass what a joke Nintendo is.Not available in my country and the year is 2017.Fuck them

Reminds me of the xbox one situation.That worked out well for them

As worked out in another thread this is like $312 U.S

I'm sorry your currency is weaker right now, but you're not paying much more than anyone else. (At least that's my understanding because you guys have Tax included in the price there, whereas the U.S doesn't)
Well it's also relative considering Nintendo should be aiming for a price advantage over the competition in this market and have already priced themselves out.

Elfstruck

Even though I already pre-ordered it, I feel like Nintendo management is just incompetent or simply doesnt know how to run the hardware business anymore. If I was them, I would release the Switch during the Holidays along with XB2, Mario, Zelda, MK8, Splatoon2, Smash, etc and it would definitely sell like hotcake.

Trago

The very weak launch lineup and launch window isn't enough for me to buy the console, especially at that price.

Nintendo, get it together.

Would you pay $300 for a ps3?

The answer is no because it's ancient hardware

The Switch isn't a PS3.

Edit: Damn, top of the page.

The launch lineup is not really good, but Zelda tips the scales. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will help in April with Splatoon filling things out in July. Hopefully they nail the virtual console this time instead of trickling like the Wii U.

This launch is actually reminding me of the Wii. Zelda at launch, Super Paper Mario a few months later, 3D Mario at holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom