• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that Neon is UGLY.

Still not sure I am going to buy it. Its not the price. I just dont want another nintendo branded paper weight.

Edit: Hang on just learned about the paid online. NO EFFING way Nintendo!! Good day to you

drotahorror

I'm good on the Switch.

Would have nabbed it at $250 though, but still some very bad stuff going on.

$50 for ONE joycon. $80 for two. (extra $30 purchase if you want the dock that will combine the two and charge them)
$70 for the Pro controller, ps4/xb1 style.
$$$ Paid online.
-Weak games lineup.

Coffinhal

While I do think 250 would have been a better price, I don't really understand these complaints. "It costs as much as a PS4!" Um, the PS4 will be four years old this year, four years! The Switch is a new system and will eventually see a price drop down the line, like the PS4 already had to even get down to 300.

And then apparently it would have been a day one purchase for some at 250, but 300 is way too much? It's a difference of 50 bucks, come on...

Who are you to judge other's appréciations of prices ? and their budget ?

In Europe it's not 250e, it's 320 to 350e. That's 70 to 100e difference.

It's easy to understand that when games come for 60e (even if there is just Zelda on launch), accessories (a true gamepad) are at 70e, online isn't free, it seems like too big an expense for an old hardware that has limited autonomy (although external batteries are great)

They were so close

saskuatch

The Switch isn't a PS3.

Edit: Damn, top of the page.

The launch lineup is not really good, but Zelda tips the scales. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will help in April with Splatoon filling things out in July. Hopefully they nail the virtual console this time instead of trickling like the Wii U.

This launch is actually reminding me of the Wii. Zelda at launch, Super Paper Mario a few months later, 3D Mario at holiday.

In Canada switch is 399, so would I pay 399 for a switch or 349 for a ps4+uncharted. And don't give me any of that its a portable bull, it's a hybrid, the entire purpose of a hybrid is to capture both markets and make more money. How will Nintendo capture the home console market being more expensive then ps4 and x1.

Matbtz

The product is good I want it but the price is too high... Wanted this on day one but now I could wait until the fall/holidays to see if there is any bundle/price cut.

Even though I might succumb due to Zelda...

Monocle

$300 doesn't strike me as unreasonable. It's scraping the upper limit of reasonable price points, I'd say.

I'll buy a Switch when it accumulates enough good exclusives that aren't rereleases of Wii U games I own. Or when Platinum releases an awesome exclusive. (Bayonetta 3, please!) Whichever comes first.

Ill get one for Zelda at launch for sure, its more expensive than I hoped though.

Even if the Wii type gaming on the go catches on, 300 bucks is really going to hold back mass appeal.

They just never learn. For the last two years gaf was thinking what the fuck are they creating, keeping quiet and after the presentation... Well underwhelming is the nicest word i can use.
We do this every

Single

Time

Every single time there's a big drought we say wow Nintendo must have sooo many new games to show to make up for it

Psych

I'm good on the Switch.

Would have nabbed it at $250 though, but still some very bad stuff going on.

$50 for ONE joycon. $80 for two. (extra $30 purchase if you want the dock that will combine the two and charge them)
$70 for the Pro controller, ps4/xb1 style.
$$$ Paid online.
-Weak games lineup.

I don't think anybody can defend these controller prices, it's absolutely whack as fuck. $70 bucks for a controller and this is without much of the joycon functionality.

I'm not worried about the games lineup for now just because I'm optimistic about the whole "only having to support 1 console" concept. I think that's something a lot of people aren't considering yet, Nintendo do like to hold things close to the chest even if it doesn't give them a good look. There are still plenty to announce I'm thinking, like Retro Studios for instance.

I don't like Paid online, but I figured it was coming anyway. Gamers pay for it no problem with Sony and Microsoft so why would Nintendo want to skip out on that money?

Rodin

How is the power compared to the Wii U?

Quite a bit better, just don't expect a portable Xbox One.

I've been meaning to ask this... i read on an italian forum that there other events and meetings scheduled for the entire weekend. Is this true?

$300 without a pack-in game when it needs to be $250 max against Xbone/PS4 pricing...paid online...ridiculously over-priced accessories ($70 pro controller = WTF), and a shit games lineup at launch? Check, check, check and check. They done fucked it up.

In Canada switch is 399, so would I pay 399 for a switch or 349 for a ps4+uncharted. And don't give me any of that its a portable bull, it's a hybrid, the entire purpose of a hybrid is to capture both markets and make more money. How will Nintendo capture the home console market being more expensive then ps4 and x1.

Hell, I don't know. How does this relate to anything in my post?

Coffinhal

wow and their concept game/demo "1 2 Switch" isn't even included in the bundle. Will they charge 60e for that too ?

Wii 1 was 250e with a game, 300e with two games and a controller

Here it's 330e without a game, 500e with two games the cheapest of second (real) controller

Who are you to say it's a cheap game ? Have you tested it ? Because a lot of people who have say it seems to be a great game and a lot of fun.

It's a demo, a concept to make you understand the possibilites of the multiplayer on the console, it isn't "cheap" but it should be included for free

$300 without a pack-in game when it needs to be $250 max against Xbone/PS4 pricing...paid online...ridiculously over-priced accessories ($70 pro controller = WTF), and a shit games lineup at launch? Check, check, check and check. They done fucked it up.

Yeah, pricing is a bummer for sure.

They dont seem concerned at all that this thing that they are marketing as a console is more expensive than a PS4 and Xbox One.

Guess it comes down to preference.

I'm eager to buy a PS4, but I'm gonna day-1 a Switch before that. Specifically because Sony's 1st party line up is far weaker than what Nintendo can, and does deliver. You can claim 3rd party being an issue , but that's easily fixed with PC.

120v

now the dust has settled (somewhat)... i think $300 is fine.

is it something i'm willing to shell out for? personally, no. but the market is still there for a nintendo console, Wii U just wasn't a sexy prospect. this isn't particularly a slam dunk either but i think the pitch is probably good enough to bring people to the table

those with disposable income will buy it through the fall, family households will adopt it during the holidays for stuff like mario, then later the bundles will roll out, then price cuts (yes, it may get price cuts depending on how how successful it is and manufacturing).... so as a starting point it's probably fine despite being bullish on nintendo's part. you can argue that a ps or xbox costs that much with a bundle but, honestly, if somebody wants say an xbox 1 with battlefield they're not in the market for nintendo hardware anyway, what difference would $50 make

still i don't think the situation is candy and rainbows, nintendo could very well have another flop on their hands... lineup is passable at best, paid online, ect. but this is new hardware, not some impulse buy stocking stuffer for little jimmy.

Polarbear

Banned
Ill get one for Zelda at launch for sure, its more expensive than I hoped though.

Even if the Wii type gaming on the go catches on, 300 bucks is really going to hold back mass appeal.

As long as the 3DS is cheaper and more portable and the Wii U exists, I can't see the market for it.

Maybe in a year or two when the price goes down, battery life goes up, and more games are on it it might take off in a bigger way. But on the other hand cell phone gaming will just keep getting bigger too, to the point that IMO it'll eclipse any potential buyers for the Switch. I dont think that many people really want a home console experience on the go.

ReBirFh

I was really hyped to buy before but the $300 price at launch is a big turn off for me. I will have to play the Wii U version of BotW and hope it isn't too inferior than the Switch version while I wait for a decent $300 bundle or at least a $50 discount in a near future.

Just found out it's $469.95AU. Wow is all I can say right now to be honest. I was actually thinking about picking one up but not at that price.

Edit: and Nintendo rarely gets price cuts, the wii U is still selling for $400 here.

Forkball

Not a big deal guys. When Trump saves the economy, everyone will have more money, so this thing will feel cheaper. $300 Trump dollars is like $250 Obama bucks.

Already pre-ordered. I was hoping to get a pack-in game at $300. Still can't wait because of the most important thing. The games! The games looked amazing and more ambitious than we've seen for a while.

There was a lot to like but a couple issues I wish were different. Controller price point is pretty high. Need details on the VC. Would like to see a few more launch games but I'm sure there's more than enough to keep me busy between releases.

Its new. The Ps4 and Xbox One are 3 years old. For a new price and for what it is it is very competitive

Matbtz

wow and their concept game/demo "1 2 Switch" isn't even included in the bundle. Will they charge 60e for that too ?

Wii 1 was 250e with a game, 300e with two games and a controller

Here it's 330e without a game, 500e with two games the cheapest of second (real) controller

It's a demo, a concept to make you understand the possibilites of the multiplayer on the console, it isn't "cheap" but it should be included for free

Wii Sports was a great game and a lot of fun too.
I'm talking about Arms here, maybe there is a lot more behind that title, it shouldn't be included for free.

I agree that the price is overwhelming and that 300€ with a game like 1-2 switch (which is more like the demo concept of the machine, being playable on the go with 2 multiplayer) should have been the sweet spot. It's a miss in that regard.

I have the impression that arms is much more developed that wii sports, Wii sports was great but didn't have much depth (the first one anyway)

Folks that managed a US Best Buy pre-order this evening, I saw many of you reporting an email confirming 3/3 release date? My card finally got charged after a few hours for my pre-order but I've not received any sort of email saying 3/3. All I got was the "We've received your order (Order #xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) but it's not ready yet!" and inside that email it does say the pre-order date is 3/3. Am I supposed to get an email that actually confirms a 3/3 pickup date and a changed order status on the website? Or is that initial email with the small 3/3 pre-order release date all I need for now?

Thanks!

You know what my main problem was? Everything was open world. Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade, Skyrim, Dragon Quest. It's cool to have big games with depth but I want my share of linear experiences too, guess Mario Kart and Splatoon provide that.

Folks that managed a US Best Buy pre-order this evening, I saw many of you reporting an email confirming 3/3 release date? My card finally got charged after a few hours for my pre-order but I've not received any sort of email saying 3/3. All I got was the "We've received your order (Order #xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) but it's not ready yet!" and inside that email it does say the pre-order date is 3/3. Am I supposed to get an email that actually confirms a 3/3 pickup date and a changed order status on the website? Or is that initial email with the small 3/3 pre-order release date all I need for now?

Thanks!

Check your spam or promotions folder. My Best Buy e-mails were sent to two separate sections of my inbox.

You know what my main problem was? Everything was open world. Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade, Skyrim, Dragon Quest. It's cool to have big games with depth but I want my share of linear experiences too, guess Mario Kart and Splatoon provide that.

And ARMS. Don't sleep on that one.

Coffinhal

I'm talking about Arms here, maybe there is a lot more behind that title, it shouldn't be included for free.

I agree that the price is overwhelming and that 300€ with a game like 1-2 switch (which is more like the demo concept of the machine, being playable on the go with 2 multiplayer) should have been the sweet spot. It's a miss in that regard.

I have the impression that arms is much more developed that wii sports, Wii sports was great but didn't have much depth (the first one anyway)

Yes maybe, since it is focused on one sport it may be more developped than Wii Sports but on the other hand idk if there diis an audience faor a motion gaming fighting game (I feel bad about the IA already haha). It could be the next Splatooon.

tmespe

While I do think 250 would have been a better price, I don't really understand these complaints. "It costs as much as a PS4!" Um, the PS4 will be four years old this year, four years! The Switch is a new system and will eventually see a price drop down the line, like the PS4 already had to even get down to 300.

And then apparently it would have been a day one purchase for some at 250, but 300 is way too much? It's a difference of 50 bucks, come on...

This is Nintendo we are talking about, they don't price drop in the same way others do.
Wii U costs the same as when it released here. More expensive than PS4 and One. Insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom