• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

mokeyjoe

Well, I'm gonna keep playing for a while longer. Let's see whether I find some outliers.

Is it? So far I haven't really bothered with trading, but I'll give it a try.

I found a bunch of gravitron balls, but I went back to farming Emeril after realizing that they don't stack. And constantly having to flee from Sentinels sucks too. Haven't found any of the others so far.

I was going to say - I can't stand mining. The only time I do it is for upgrades (which only require a small amount) and shooting at plutonium crystals from time to time to fuel up.

Just wait until you find a special resource planet and hang out by a trading post, empty your inventory and do a few runs around the post filling up your inventory, sell and repeat. I was making 400k per 5 minute sweep of a venom sac planet last night. It doesn't matter that they don't stack, each resource is worth more than a stack of gold or emeril (edit - well not really, but it's worth a lot), and is far quicker to get.

Once you've done that a few times you can buy pretty much any resource you need as you need it. Personally I think running around dodging sentinels for 5 minutes is a way more fun way to rake in the cash than shooting at rocks. And if you kill the sentinels they drop good stuff too.

Also I found a glitch where if you grenade the ground from under a dog sentinel it deactivates but the warning doesn't go away, which means you can run around collecting stuff with impunity for a while. It's weird because although the sentinel falls in the hole it's eyes stay on the surface looking around :/

Ferr986

So I warp into a system and I see 3 cargos being attacked by 15 ships.

I ended up trying to defend the cargos. So far so good, I could take all the pirates, but suddenly motherfucking cargos starts attacking me too. So I end up with both pirates and cargos shooting at my ass.

I still managed to barely clear the quest but that was so bullshit. I feel like not bothering with rescue signals anymore.

Ambitious

I was going to say - I can't stand mining. The only time I do it is for upgrades (which only require a small amount) and shooting at plutonium crystals from time to time to fuel up.

Just wait until you find a special resource planet and hang out by a trading post, empty your inventory and do a few runs around the post filling up your inventory, sell and repeat. I was making 400k per 5 minute sweep of a venom sac planet last night. It doesn't matter that they don't stack, each resource is worth more than a stack of gold or emeril (edit - well not really, but it's worth a lot), and is far quicker to get.

Once you've done that a few times you can buy pretty much any resource you need as you need it. Personally I think running around dodging sentinels for 5 minutes is a way more fun way to rake in the cash than shooting at rocks. And if you kill the sentinels they drop good stuff too.

Also I found a glitch where if you grenade the ground from under a dog sentinel it deactivates but the warning doesn't go away, which means you can run around collecting stuff with impunity for a while. It's weird because although the sentinel falls in the hole it's eyes stay on the surface looking around :/

Holy shit. Bye-bye, Emeril caves.

That shotgun-esque upgrade for the multitool gun is weird to use / does not feel good.

But it one-shots sentinels and also needs only two shots for the dog (and you don't actually have to be close at all) so I like it!

ah so it's when using the grenades, I could not pinpoint the cause for that bug while farming pearls.

Matt Frost

I ended up trying to defend the cargos. So far so good, I could take all the pirates, but suddenly motherfucking cargos starts attacking me too. So I end up with both pirates and cargos shooting at my ass.

I still managed to barely clear the quest but that was so bullshit. I feel like not bothering with rescue signals anymore.

I dont bother with that anymore since I did one time and both attacked me

Ferr986

I dont bother with that anymore since I did one time and both attacked me

lol I was like so close to joining the pirates after that

Btw, landed on Australia planet

PzeNgkC.jpg

Wish I had a flamethrower

Peaceful place tho, when I'm not surrounded by insect-animals

You have to be really careful not to hit the freighters with your gunfire.

I jumped into a system yesterday with 3 freighters under attack by 36 pirates. I managed to take all the pirates out. Was by far the largest battle I have seen so far.

I jumped into a system yesterday with 3 freighters under attack by 36 pirates. I managed to take all the pirates out. Was by far the largest battle I have seen so far.

Highgest i seen is 24, but come across my first non freighter firefight today as well, just pure ship on ship, interestingly, when i spoke to a Vek guy he said he was waiting for operation orders and was worried sick about going into battle.

As anyone else experienced a black hole bug, i;ve requested two jumps recently but both have failed to materialised on the galaxy map, i just seem to have routes aimed at atlas interfaces i have neglected.

mokeyjoe

Yeah - they're really touchy about friendly fire. My strategy is to lure attack ships away from the freighters. That way even if I do hit the freighters they can't hit me - their range sucks.

Tumle

Yeah the upgrade you're looking for is called an "Aeration Membrane". They come in Sigma, Tau, and Theta flavors that I've seen (haven't seen an Omega one). You'll need oxides like Iron to charge them but that's a non issue since the vast majority of elements you can harvest are iron. I happen to have a recipe for a Shielding Sheet (75 iron) that'll refill the membrane full, so I just craft those and slot them in when I see that oxygen meter pop up. Pretty much can explore indefinitely underwater. I will say that aside from scanning for life, or just a chill experience, there's very little reason to. I've never found rarer elements down there. Once in a blue moon I'll find a monolith or save beacon that spawned in some ocean floor canyon, but that's about it.
I actually found something called a water bead or something like it.. Worth about 27,000 units

The ship upgrade is handy. Nearly got enough to upgrade my starting ship.

I didn't know you could just repair the basics of a crashes vessel. Also, how are people finding so many on a planet? Even without using the Gek glitch! I've seen one so far! :/

Skeletron

The Gek transmission tower thing still works. It's going to be sad parting from the ship I've been using for the last week. Wish I could save it somehow.

Cess007

Still no info about how activating portals, right? I just found my first portal yesterday :)

The Gek transmission tower thing still works. It's going to be sad parting from the ship I've been using for the last week. Wish I could save it somehow.

You should have some kind of space garage, and be able to save them there :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually found something called a water bead or something like it.. Worth about 27,000 units
AquaSpheres, yeah, they don't trigger any sentinel attention either. If I find a planet with them in a system that is paying a big premium for them I'd definitely spend some time down there.

mokeyjoe

Aquasphere? They're easier to get than other high value resources in a sense because sentinels don't bother you - they seem way harder to find though, much more spread out. I only collected them once because I needed 5 of them for a boltcaster upgrade.

Tumle

Aquasphere? They're easier to get than other high value resources in a sense because sentinels don't bother you - they seem way harder to find though, much more spread out. I only collected them once because I needed 5 of them for a boltcaster upgrade.
AquaSpheres, yeah, they don't trigger any sentinel attention either. If I find a planet with them in a system that is paying a big premium for them I'd definitely spend some time down there.
Yes that's what they where called :)

G-Bus

Banned
System after system of nearly dead planet's with little to no plant life and zero wildlife I've stumbled upon a system of lively planet's and holy crap what a difference it makes.

Average a few hours per system but this new one I've spent a couple hours on the first planet alone. Exploring is so much nicer.

Can't wait to dive back in tonight.

Tovarisc

Took and went for max slot ship. Retooled all suit upgrades and then all ship upgrades. From maxing out shields to max tier warp engine I should be set for rest of the games "lifespan".

Need some help/advice:

Last night after clearing my inventory at a space station, I entered a new planet and came across a crashed ship. I decided to switch and transferred over my inventory. In the process of the switch, I did not realize I had no Heridium, and now I am trapped on the planet(moon) that I am on. The planet is extremely dry and I have searched for hours looking for some heridium. Additionally, I walked to an outpost with a galactic trading network and Heridium was "sold out" on the terminal.

Any ideas on how I can find some to repair the ship and get off this barren wasteland?

Matt Frost

lol I was like so close to joining the pirates after that

Me too. I wanted to help they attacked me. I learned there that their were carrying valuable stuff on their cargos.

Here's my starter planet with the Portal monument on.

I had one too, and is so dissapointing. I expected at least something out of that building, but nothing. And 100 hours later, still doesnt do anything... I thought that maybe you needed some tech, but no... pure decoration...

Roussow

15mins with new ps4 patch, 1st crash...guess you can´t fix em all at once.

i´m on a sac venom planet atm trying to get enough cash for a decent ship (making ~800k per haul).

Basically had the same thing happen then switched game. Man, when all I really want to do is a quick bit of grinding -- and THAT progress gets lost. I just don't want to have to repeat that, kills all motivation to play it.

Fuck it, this Oxenfree thing looks dope.

Need some help/advice:

Last night after clearing my inventory at a space station, I entered a new planet and came across a crashed ship. I decided to switch and transferred over my inventory. In the process of the switch, I did not realize I had no Heridium, and now I am trapped on the planet(moon) that I am on. The planet is extremely dry and I have searched for hours looking for some heridium. Additionally, I walked to an outpost with a galactic trading network and Heridium was "sold out" on the terminal.

Any ideas on how I can find some to repair the ship and get off this barren wasteland?

Transfer back to your old ship.

Edit: Also you can probably get heridium by dismantling ship upgrades.

Tovarisc

Looking at all GIF's and pictures of found creatures then comparing to what seen myself it becomes too obvious how samey and repeated those are :/

IvanJ

Banned
Need some help/advice:

Does the ship have any other unnecessary upgrades that you can break down?
Or something in your suit or multitool that you can sacrifice for a brief period?

Finally upgrade my ship from 24 slots to 32. Have all the hyperdrives. I'm maxed out on suit slots. And now shit just got boring. I have 160k light years to go to get to center. Sigh

Meliora

Has anyone successfully scanned a bird in the sky yet without shooting it down first? I never manage to find where it lands after shooting it down :p

A good idea would be for HG to add an "auto" reload option, or even upgrade, for life support, lasers, thrusters, etc..

Totally. Or if that is somehow difficult to completely automate, maybe be able to bind recharging of gear to the O button since it's dormant currently.

Still on the fence on this one. Is it worth getting?

If you're really on the fence why not just wait? Given that HG wants to add more things to the game, as well as needed stability patches, etc... The longer you wait the cheaper it'll get, but the better the experience will likely be.

Top Bottom