• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Stoze

Speaking of which, on resource gathering with Plasma Grenades:

They do work on resource pillars, gold balls, copper floating eggs, etc.
They don't work on resource crystals, or the rare mats you destroy rather than collect (sac venom). Will just blow them up.
They work great for getting iron and carbon from rock/flora. Oneshotting trees with them is fun.

Yeah Plasma grenades are probably the best for getting Iron. While they do work on resource pillars, it's generally more efficient to just mine with your laser, especially if you have upgrades to your beam. In fact, if you upgrade your grenades with the bigger impact radius, it will blow huge chunks into resource pillars but you'll still be getting the same amount of materials. You'll be wasting the resource if you plan on mining most or all of it.

They make the best offensive weapon hands down though.

So, Portals. Has the game/code been scavenged enough to determine if they can work but we can't figure out how or is it just a decoration with a pending update future usability? I kinda feel it's the latter due to them not being discoverable by any means besides pure vision

Just completed my extreme survival milestone on a planet with my favorite trees by far

Oz8myxU.png

m9Mikxu.png

2Ntg7Ul.png
that last one on the left, though... is it just me or does that mushroom tree have an asshole?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Your system starts with a "B". My blue stars usually start with an "O". There are things that I don't get with this game.

PhD thesis needed to understand that game.
There more spectral class designations than there are visibly distinct colors. Not sure if this is comprehensive yet or not

Yellow Stars- Class G or F
Red Stars- Class K or M
Green Stars- Class E
Blue Stars- Class B or O

Has anyone found any connection between system/race and starship models? I keep getting the same few but I've seen so much variety on Reddit and here.
Also multi tool models.

There more spectral class designations than there are visibly distinct colors. Not sure if this is comprehensive yet or not

Yellow Stars- Class G or F
Red Stars- Class K or M
Green Stars- Class E
Blue Stars- Class B or O
What do the classes mean?

I am currently on a very Earth-like planet. I named it Skyrim Moon because it sort of gives me that vibe based on what I've seen of it. Thought other travellers may take interest in the name and want to check it out. Normally, I keep the names as default.

Stoze

Another tip, although you guys may have noticed this already if you've been dismantling stuff while doing the Gem transmission ship upgrades, but there is a way to stack things like Gravitino Balls or Neutrino modules;

If you dismantle something that gives you a single-slot item when it's broken down, it puts them in a stack like you'd see for elements, with room for 100. From then on, if you were to pick up more of that item, they would go into that stack rather than take up their own slots.

I believe if you die though it'll reset and they'll be in their own slots again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I am currently on a very Earth-like planet. I named it Skyrim Moon because it sort of gives me that vibe based on what I've seen of it. Thought other travellers may take interest in the name and want to check it out. Normally, I keep the names as default.
Not all the specifics are known yet, but blue and green stars tend to have interesting planets, and O-class systems are likely to have extreme environments/weather and rare resources.
Has anyone found any connection between system/race and starship models? I keep getting the same few but I've seen so much variety on Reddit and here.
Also multi tool models.
The available ships in a system will definitely vary a lot from one system to the next.

edit: That stacking Gravitino Balls thing sure soooounds like a bug, lol

Wok

Class refers to the color of the star, which is linked to its temperature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan–Boltzmann_law

So based on the distance to the star and the temperature of the star, the planet should have more or less life.

Oh man, Tovarisc that looks sweet! I want to end up in a Battlestar Galactica looking ship at the end too. Currently rocking a pink and white retro 50s sci-fi ship so it's all good but i'm on an upgrade run so it will change soon. Well, i say soon but the next downed ship is 3 hours away by foot so it's a fair while even by ship :(

Anyone know how many times i can go back and forth between my ship and the downed ship stripping and storing materials before i lose one or the other? I noticed i can accept my old ship again and transfer the last materials but will i lose my half-sorted new ship or can i go back and forth until done?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
My 48 slot space hotrod, took while to find as most crashed ships were minivan editions;

This is the same rough model of what I'm going with right now, but mine isn't as good (just a dull green/brown and only 25 slots)

But I like the model, and it holds up nicely in moving around. The cockpit doesn't go crazy like my older ship.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Trying to find the last two damn creatures to scan on one planet so I can 100% it so I can get my atlas pass is driving me up the wall.

Found all but one, then had a crash and lost it. Wasn't there when I went back.

Stoze

edit: That stacking Gravitino Balls thing sure soooounds like a bug, lol

I'm not sure if it completely is since it has a unique stack count (100 as opposed to 250 or 500), which means there was some thought put into balancing for it. I think it might be a quick fix to help make sure the player doesn't lose items when dismantling with a full inventory or at least to prevent that use case from happening. That or it's just something they forgot to take out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh man, Tovarisc that looks sweet! I want to end up in a Battlestar Galactica looking ship at the end too. Currently rocking a pink and white retro 50s sci-fi ship so it's all good but i'm on an upgrade run so it will change soon. Well, i say soon but the next downed ship is 3 hours away by foot so it's a fair while even by ship :(
You can just fly back out into orbit and head to whereever much quicker than that.
Anyone know how many times i can go back and forth between my ship and the downed ship stripping and storing materials before i lose one or the other? I noticed i can accept my old ship again and transfer the last materials but will i lose my half-sorted new ship or can i go back and forth until done?
Just park right next to it, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go back and forth. Each is just flagged as "abandoned" upon accepting the other, I believe.
I'm not sure if it is since it has a unique stack count (100 as opposed to 250 or 500), which means there was some thought put into balancing for it. I think it might be a quick fix to help make sure the player doesn't lose items when dismantling with a full inventory or at least to prevent that use case from happening. That or it's just something they forgot to take out.
My guess is that your instinct for why it exists is right- to ensure the player doesn't lose valuable components due to lack of space from a dismantle. That's a good idea.

I imagine that being able to then stack more items, those acquired after the dismantle, onto that same slot is the bug.

Trying to find the last two damn creatures to scan on one planet so I can 100% it so I can get my atlas pass is driving me up the wall.

Found all but one, then had a crash and lost it. Wasn't there when I went back.
I am in the same boat(ship?) haha.

I'm on the last moon of my current system, stocked up with gravitino balls to see what they're worth in the next system... But I have two more animals to find.

Metzhara

I dunno if they ever stated it in any interviews, but as I played I realized the Gek are basically
Cane Toads. Not surprising when you realize the dev is in Australia.
. After knowing that, nothing about them surprises me.
Except that one in the anomaly.

Stoze

I imagine that being able to then stack more items, those acquired after the dismantle, onto that same slot is the bug.

Yeah that's probably right, and they probably went with 100 just to be safe since I doubt you could get anywhere near that high from just dismantling stuff normally.

It would be kind of neat if there was an upgrade you could work towards in-game that would allow you to do it legitimately though.

Tovarisc

Yeah that's probably right, and they probably went with 100 just to be safe since I doubt you could get anywhere near that high from just dismantling stuff normally.

It would be kind of neat if there was an upgrade you could work towards in-game that would allow you to do it legitimately though.

If stack like that forms and you don't break it you can keep it in inventory forever. I have like 10 those metal sheet things stacked in ships inventory atm.

E92 M3

Speaking of which, on resource gathering with Plasma Grenades:

They do work on resource pillars, gold balls, copper floating eggs, etc.
They don't work on resource crystals, or the rare mats you destroy rather than collect (sac venom). Will just blow them up.
They work great for getting iron and carbon from rock/flora. Oneshotting trees with them is fun.

Ship types on offer seem to vary system to system, so if you're shopping for something specific, jump around after you feel like you have a good handle on what a given system has to offer. Not sure if they vary based on the ruling race of each system or other factors.

Wait, grenades work on all of those? Last time I tried, I could have sworn it destroyed them. With grenades, it would make my life so much easier.

Stoze

If stack like that forms and you don't break it you can keep it in inventory forever. I have like 10 those metal sheet things stacked in ships inventory atm.

Yeah I know. The stack effect will go away if you die in space though (I think only if it's in your ship) and you'll have to pick everything up in space one by one from your grave so be careful.

I've never died on foot so I'm not sure if you lose your inventory temporarily or not.

Plum

So after relegating this to my "buy when it's £20 or less" pile my brother bought me the game as an A-Level Results gift. On PS4 but when somethings essentially free complaining about not getting the best version is petty.

Hope I'm pleasantly surprised, I'll be able to see tomorrow when he visits.

My 48 slot space hotrod, took while to find as most crashed ships were minivan editions;

That is a sweet-looking ship, but pretty silly that it has 48 cargo slots. That's like saying an X-Wing has as much storage space as the Millenium Falcon.

So based on the distance to the star and the temperature of the star, the planet should have more or less life.

Which is how it was supposed to work in NMS, but since Hello has now put all planets roughly equidistant from their star, there should be little impact of the star on planetary conditions beyond its temperature. Assuming the game even cares about that.

Baalzebup

That is a sexy looking ship. I intend to hunt new 48 ones even after getting one to score something similar.
So after relegating this to my "buy when it's £20 or less" pile my brother bought me the game as an A-Level Results gift. On PS4 but when somethings essentially free complaining about not getting the best version is petty.

Hope I'm pleasantly surprised, I'll be able to see tomorrow when he visits.

Like it or not, your bro sure is a bro :)

Razgreez

So, a few things.

1) I used the pre-order ship so I never got a distress signal to get the blueprint for a hyper drive.

2) I have a new ship, lost my old one, no hyper drive.

3) Cannot get blueprint for hyper drive. Stuck in this star system.

HALP.

Using the preorder ship doesn't break the game. It just makes it so that the hyper drive quest arc starts at the following system and not the current one. If you sold/lost your ship before jumping well then... You're likely stuck. But why would you do that anyway. It's really unlikely you'd find a better ship than the dlc starter in the first system

Wok

Which is how it was supposed to work in NMS, but since Hello has now put all planets roughly equidistant from their star, there should be little impact of the star on planetary conditions beyond its temperature. Assuming the game even cares about that.

That would suck. I was just thinking of beating "The Sentinel" achievement (survive for 32 sols, i.e. 8 hours, in an extreme environment) by finding a planet which would be really close to its star so that one sol is short. Edit: Nevermind, it is about rotation, not planet revolution, I don't know whether planets have different rotation speeds in the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Unfortunately this guy was was a big ole hulking sweetie. Hoping to run into a ravenous version one day.
i want to hug it.
Wait, grenades work on all of those? Last time I tried, I could have sworn it destroyed them. With grenades, it would make my life so much easier.
They do work on the ones I described above- but as noted by others, you may only get a fraction of the mats you would have from the laser.

If I only need a small amount of a mat for a specific purpose (which is the case pretty regularly) I'm going to keep doing it. It's fun :p

Oh man, also, on that Sac Venom planet last night, once I found the trading bot waypoint, there was a cliff nearby that had a ton of them on top. Instead of making the jetpack trip up every time, I used grenades to carve a tunnel through the rock face sloping upward to run through from the waypoint. Made trips with a full inventory super fast. Felt like a real venom prospector.

Downloaded the update, played about 15 minutes and had a crash. It actually locked up my whole PS4.
Give it a minute or two.

This game's crashes usually look like they freeze the console, but for every crash I've experienced the game eventually exits back to the PS4 menu after anywhere from thirty seconds to five minutes.

Prisoner

Does the patch stop item duping?

I dunno if they ever stated it in any interviews, but as I played I realized the Gek are basically
Cane Toads. Not surprising when you realize the dev is in Australia.
. After knowing that, nothing about them surprises me.
Except that one in the anomaly.

Hello Games is British.

Wok

A day on Venus lasts 243 Earth days, a day on Jupiter lasts 9.83 Earth hours. Amazing.

How hard would it be to "procedurally" generate planet rotation speeds? Come on, Sean. Sample from a Gaussian distribution and we are good to go, just let me have the hope to find a good planet to get the survival achievement in less than 8 hours.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh man, my 50" 4K Samsung finally arrived today and I got it hooked up and I'm incredibly impressed at how crisp the game looks, even though it's just 1080p. I had to switch to my 40" 720p set for the past two weeks while I waited for the new one to arrive.

Some of the 'abandoned buildings' with tentacles covering everthing have broken pipes w sludge leaking out of them. So technically there is running water in the game.

Makes you wish they could have found a way to implement that in the terrain generation so we get waterfalls but oh well

Top Bottom