• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Oh man, my 50" 4K Samsung finally arrived today and I got it hooked up and I'm incredibly impressed at how crisp the game looks, even though it's just 1080p. I had to switch to my 40" 720p set for the past two weeks while I waited for the new one to arrive.

Nice man. I'm still rocking a 42" 720p plasma, which is starting to show its age this gen. I've noticed the space station tunnels constantly shimmer/waver, almost like a heat effect, and wondered if that's the 720p downsampling or the game itself.

E92 M3

i want to hug it.

They do work on the ones I described above- but as noted by others, you may only get a fraction of the mats you would have from the laser.

If I only need a small amount of a mat for a specific purpose (which is the case pretty regularly) I'm going to keep doing it. It's fun :p

Oh man, also, on that Sac Venom planet last night, once I found the trading bot waypoint, there was a cliff nearby that had a ton of them on top. Instead of making the jetpack trip up every time, I used grenades to carve a tunnel through the rock face sloping upward to run through from the waypoint. Made trips with a full inventory super fast. Felt like a real venom prospector.

Ah, yeah that was my experience. Need all of my materials. Could also use a bigger Multi-tool for grenade upgrades.

molnizzle

Nice man. I'm still rocking a 42" 720p plasma, which is starting to show its age this gen. I've noticed the space station tunnels constantly shimmer/waver, almost like a heat effect, and wondered if that's the 720p downsampling or the game itself.

That's the game itself. Downsampling improves temporal shimmer. This game just has shitty ass anti aliasing for the time being.

So I just came across one of those
Portals
on a planet. I haven't really been keeping up to date with this stuff, but do they serve a purpose?

Oh man, my 50" 4K Samsung finally arrived today and I got it hooked up and I'm incredibly impressed at how crisp the game looks, even though it's just 1080p. I had to switch to my 40" 720p set for the past two weeks while I waited for the new one to arrive.

It's amazing what a difference size can make. My desktop monitor is slightly higher resolution than my TV (1920x1200 as opposed to 1920x1080) but it's only 24"; playing No Man's Sky on it is just like playing any other game. Playing No Man's Sky on a 65" screen with surround sound? Now that makes everything feel epic.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
That's not a bug. If you dismantle something, it always gives stacks back. So if you get more than two say gravino balls, they'll come in a stack. You can keep stacking things into it. It's amazing.

I don't think this is an intended feature, I understand they don't want you stack hundreds of balls and sell it all together as this will break the economy of the game and you can easily have millions in one run.

This has probably been asked a million times, but how do I find a space station in a system? When I first warped in it was there because I went. Now I've visited a few planets and its gone. I need warp cells and silly me used the preorder ship so cant craft any.

qcf x2

Some of the 'abandoned buildings' with tentacles covering everthing have broken pipes w sludge leaking out of them. So technically there is running water in the game.

Makes you wish they could have found a way to implement that in the terrain generation so we get waterfalls but oh well

Well, it'll probably get there once they iron out the big bugs for people that are encountering them.

Sean Murray's Twitter said:
We're totally focused on customer support right now. Then we'll move onto improving and adding features to the game 👍

BizzyBum

Damn, I just found out I can switch between using a controller and m+kb on the fly (even the command prompts switch over).

Flying with a controller is so much better. Much easier to control your ship, land where you want more precisely, and I can look around the cockpit finally! Night and day difference. I still use m+kb for everything else, though.

NeoRausch

Maaaaaaan!

I just found out that, then you walk over the little glowing orbs one the Atlas Station your almost every time learn a new word!

And since there are a shitload of them... It's really worth it!

IvanJ

Banned
This has probably been asked a million times, but how do I find a space station in a system? When I first warped in it was there because I went. Now I've visited a few planets and its gone. I need warp cells and silly me used the preorder ship so cant craft any.
Scan with L3 and look for a yellow hexagon

GeeTeeCee

It's infuriating that 3 years into the PS4's life cycle that most devs don't use the space provided for patch notes besides the bare minimum of "some stuff was fixed"

The worst ones are when they write something in like" please visit the website for patch information."

You clearly know the patch note feature exists, so use it!

That's the game itself. Downsampling improves temporal shimmer. This game just has shitty ass anti aliasing for the time being.

Yeah I assumed that, but I figured everyone's game can't look that bad? But yes, I guess it does, for right now. Hopefully that "temporal AA" they promised will come next week.

Had my First crash after playing the patched version for about 15 minutes, pressing options to check out the planet was apparently too much to ask, ffs.

Some people have said that restarting the PS4 after patching stopped the crashes. YMMV.

rbanke

The worst ones are when they write something in like" please visit the website for patch information."

You clearly know the patch note feature exists, so use it!

I choose to believe dev's are forced to use a dualshock to input the text for the patch note field...it allows me to understand.

OuterLimits

Is Murrine used for anything? Never seen it before. Currently on a very hot barren planet close to sun(F yellow star) that is loaded with the stuff.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ohh a paradise planet with gravino balls laying around in the grass and caves full of vertex cubes. The sentinels may hate me, but I like it here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Found an extreme planet with Callium and brutal radiation storms, and the most hideous color palette ever. Might spend some time here for that milestone, how many sols is it anyway?

Tovarisc

Finished atlas path. got me nowhere

You don't follow path of Atlas, but shortest route to the center. Map shows you where Atlas stuff is and you just jump to those along the route to the center.

Anybody have like an image of how to effectively place your exosuit upgrades?

Food for thought;
uXu3oPJ.jpg

Clauss

What's the trick to space battles? I tried and failed miserably to fight off 3 ships that pulled me out of warp from a planet to the space station. I don't even think I did any damage. Since then, I've switched to using a DS4 for flight, hoping that would make it easier and got smoked again just a few w minutes ago :( any tips?

Also, it always say my photon cannon is at 0%, yet I can shoot, and am unable to "recharge it with oxides" as it keeps begging me to. Am I missing something?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Yeah, I've had my 720 set since 2007! Lol. My mom actually gave me her 1080p set, which was newer than my 720 set, but, ironically, the 1080p set crapped out on me, so I had to go back to the 720, which has audio issues (the audio will just cut out randomly. I have to press the SRS button a few times to get it to cut on again). I happened to luck out and find a good deal on the Samsung set. I had no interest in 4K, but the price was really good, the size was great, and I really needed a new TV, so I pulled the trigger on it. So far, not regretting it! The picture quality is gorgeous. It's this model: Samsung UN50KU6300 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model). Got it from Amazon, and with my Prime membership, only paid $622 for it.

In NMS news. I finally reached my 48 slots the other day, and now I'm trying to save up for a ship. I have 2.6 mill saved up now, but one of the ships I want is 3 million. My wife is playing right now while I chat on gaf, and she's hunting for resources for me. lol.

It's amazing what a difference size can make. My desktop monitor is slightly higher resolution than my TV (1920x1200 as opposed to 1920x1080) but it's only 24"; playing No Man's Sky on it is just like playing any other game. Playing No Man's Sky on a 65" screen with surround sound? Now that makes everything feel epic.

Definitely. I've been playing 720p since launch, and yeah, it's a world of difference in 1080p on a 50" screen. It's really gorgeous. My wife has a 1080p 24" set that her PS4 is hooked up too, but that still looked better than my 720p 40." lol.

subrock

What's the trick to space battles? I tried and failed miserably to fight off 3 ships that pulled me out of warp from a planet to the space station. I don't even think I did any damage. Since then, I've switched to using a DS4 for flight, hoping that would make it easier and got smoked again just a few w minutes ago :( any tips?

Also, it always say my photon cannon is at 0%, yet I can shoot, and am unable to "recharge it with oxides" as it keeps begging me to. Am I missing something?
Pull the left trigger when turning. Also, hit with the phase beam a couple times until it overheats and the switch weapons and fire until you're out. The other ships will come at you straight on if you engage them from far away.

NeoRausch

You don't follow path of Atlas, but shortest route to the center. Map shows you where Atlas stuff is and you just jump to those along the route to the center.

Food for thought;

It drives me so nuts that the jetpack is stuck up in the corner surrounded by stuff that can't be disassembled!
I want to her it out of its misery!

Edit:
But that build is pretty tight! Love it!

- Build a shield upgrade, this is a must. Otherwise you'll be digging through their inventory system trying to recharge your shield while enemies get free shots at you.
- Use boost and banking (L1/R1). With banking you can achieve tighter turns, and boost to get yourself into a better position or escape from their targeting sights
- Concentrate on one at a time, and try to get in a position where you can fire from behind
- If you're close to a planet, dive into the atmosphere. They may chase you, but the "feel" of the ship is much better there, and the terrain will give you more positional awareness as you turn

OuterLimits

What does the description say?

"Precious element very rare. Valuable commodity known for its charming qualities." I'm guessing it's just used for trade. Stuff is everywhere on the planet. each one has a value of 302. Temps are decent at night but constant storms.

Funny thing is planet has no plants, but a few animals. Hmm.

mokeyjoe

Braking for the most part, if you can't see them then brake and turn and try to get behind them then boost and chase. Seems to work for me.

The photon cannon thing is a bug I haven't seen in a while.

mokeyjoe

"Precious element very rare. Valuable commodity known for its charming qualities." I'm guessing it's just used for trade. Stuff is everywhere on the planet. Temps are decent at night but constant storms.

Funny thing is planet has no plants, but a few animals. Hmm.

Sometimes they just eat 'absorbed nutrients'. So I guess they eat rocks.

Nameless

Ohh a paradise planet with gravino balls laying around in the grass and caves full of vertex cubes. The sentinels may hate me, but I like it here.

Take advantage. I found Heaven in planetary forms where you couldn't spit without hitting Pearl Pods. Stayed for a while because I figured I'd encounter another...this was almost a week ago.

Tovarisc

It drives me so nuts that the jetpack is stuck up in the corner surrounded by stuff that can't be disassembled!
I want to her it out of its misery!

Edit:
But that build is pretty tight! Love it!

Yeah, triggering me how I can't move core items around and min max position of upgrades. My ship upgrades are tad messier because there is so many of them and even then ship sucks ass in combat.

Top Bottom