• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

F-Pina

The planet where I got the 100% had these guys.
I was always scanning at a distance, it was only when one of them came across my ship and then an outpost that I noticed they were huge! Jeebus!

VBpe2r.png

TnnJ1s.png

Calabi

Looks like I'm stuck in the first solar system, changed ships in the middle of acquiring the warp drive, so I cant charge the warp drive need antimatter no way of getting it(and I've been to loads of outposts to see if can buy it and no luck). The really play tested this well.

And thank god that they don't. Can you imagine? It'd be like Luke Skywalker having to throw coal in his X-Wing to get his lasers to fire. But IMO all combat mechanics should be self-charging, both in space and on ground. I also think they should take the charging requirement away from the hazard-specific shield upgrades and make them a depleting meter like when underwater. This game is recharge-crazy right now and it detracts from other mechanics.

I don't mind the recharging, but perhaps if they put some automation into it? If I have a bunch of Thamium9, I shouldn't have to go into the menu to recharge my pulse. The game should just do it?

So are there asteroids where you can land? I only see small ones that look like the size of my ship...

We were never going to be able to land on asteroids. The only time that was ever mentioned in an interview was in the context of it being a bug that needed to be fixed. Bigger ones can have holes blown in them like in earlier trailers though.

If they put much larger "asteroids" in the game that are just the same thing as moons and planets just much smaller, then maybe we'll get there. But as it is they need to overhaul the way space in systems works to make that possible, which means basically a whole new galaxy.

Looks like I'm stuck in the first solar system, changed ships in the middle of acquiring the warp drive, so I cant charge the warp drive need antimatter no way of getting it(and I've been to loads of outposts to see if can buy it and no luck). The really play tested this well.

You should be able to charge it. Suspension fluid > purple vapour stuff (name?) >antimatter >warp charge.

Just keep going. You'll get there

The planet where I got the 100% had these guys.
I was always scanning at a distance, it was only when one of them came across my ship and then an outpost that I noticed they were huge! Jeebus!

VBpe2r.png

I know it's pedantic and nitpicky, but one of my biggest pet peeves in this game so far is the absolutely absurd weights for large animals. That thing is 5 meters high and only weighs 240 kg? A giraffe is 5 meters high and it weighs over 1,000 kg. And that's mostly skinny neck, while that thing is stocky like a giant wolf. There's no way that thing is under 2,000 kg. Of all the inconceivable stuff that appears in this game, the fact that every giant creature you come across is apparently completely hollow is the silliest. And it seems like it's a pretty easy fix.

Alebrije

We were never going to be able to land on asteroids. The only time that was ever mentioned in an interview was in the context of it being a bug that needed to be fixed. Bigger ones can have holes blown in them like in earlier trailers though.

If they put much larger "asteroids" in the game that are just the same thing as moons and planets just much smaller, then maybe we'll get there. But as it is they need to overhaul the way space in systems works to make that possible, which means basically a whole new galaxy.

OK , I would be great to have ones where you can land and mine some rare elements , like the one on Armageddon movie

And thank god that they don't. Can you imagine? It'd be like Luke Skywalker having to throw coal in his X-Wing to get his lasers to fire. But IMO all combat mechanics should be self-charging, both in space and on ground. I also think they should take the charging requirement away from the hazard-specific shield upgrades and make them a depleting meter like when underwater. This game is recharge-crazy right now and it detracts from other mechanics.
Hazard protection already works exactly like the underwater oxygen, and the aeration membrane.

You get a default bar that recharges when you are sheltered or breathing, courtesy of your suit's but in hazard protection, and you can supplement this with the hazard specific protection that needs recharging. This works like temporary shelter, allowing your built in protection bar to recharge.

Also means that with materials on hand, you can stay underwater or in extreme conditions indefinitely, and never have to stand idle while you wait for a bar to refill.

Smilax

Hey GAF, been playing No Man Sky for like 8 hours and i'm loving it. I just wanted to know, what setting should I be playing at to have a you know, enjoyable time playing it haha

My specs:

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z170X-UD3

Processor : Intel Core i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - Driver: 368.81

RAM : 16 GB

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

Alebrije

I know it's pedantic and nitpicky, but one of my biggest pet peeves in this game so far is the absolutely absurd weights for large animals. That thing is 5 meters high and only weighs 240 kg? A giraffe is 5 meters high and it weighs over 1,000 kg. And that's mostly skinny neck, while that thing is stocky like a giant wolf. There's no way that thing is under 2,000 kg. Of all the inconceivable stuff that appears in this game, the fact that every giant creature you come across is apparently completely hollow is the silliest. And it seems like it's a pretty easy fix.

Gravity is different on every planet , that thing could weigh 4 tons on earth , also density indifferent on every cell. Just think out of the box and let the game blow your mind..

Yep some stats seems to be there just to simulate something.. but once you start to accept things like ice planets near a sun , all is possible

OK , I would be great to have ones where you can land and mine some rare elements , like the one on Armageddon movie

I do hope they do a "Universe 2.0" where they add all this stuff. I think larger asteroids to land on would be great, and could use the same tech as the planets and moons. There's probably a lower limit to how small they can be though, since they would likely still need to function like any other planet/moon wrt destruction.

Ferr986

So I tried to reach lvl 5 with the robopolice on a planet. The big walker appeared and I destroyed it, now no matter where I go the the robopolice level won't level down. Glitch or did I fucked up?

somme

Not sure what was going on here... to start with I thought I'd stumbled across a planet with rings, or an aurora of some sort. But the sky was normal, albeit pretty:

tumblr_oc4nnkMbkO1vcevjdo1_1280.png

tumblr_oc4nnkMbkO1vcevjdo2_1280.png

Baalzebup

Oh, the creature stats are completely fucked even beyond the initial goof of having the weight and height stats reversed. My most difficult creature scan ever had some really funky stats going for them. Those little shits are 0.5m tall and weight 70kg?
Guys, what's the best weapon for your ship?
Just upgrade the Photon cannon. It ends up far, far superior to the Phase Beam, even with the latter being both an auto-aim and a hit-scan weapon. Upgraded Photon cannon has so much more damage output that they end up pretty much incomparable.

I don't mind the recharging, but perhaps if they put some automation into it? If I have a bunch of Thamium9, I shouldn't have to go into the menu to recharge my pulse. The game should just do it?

Right, that's what I meant by the combat stuff should be self-charging. If I have resources in inventory, just use that automatically.

I think having to recharge ground weapons and shielding makes sense from a gameplay POV because planets are all about the survival aspect. But I think recharging should be taken out of ship weapons and shields completely and replaced with a meter system like most space combat games use. I shouldn't be screwed when pirates attack me and I don't have enough power rocks on hand to feed my shields with. Just let me live my Star Wars fantasies. To offset taking out ship recharging, make repair penalties for damaged parts more severe, and make part damage more likely in battles. Making these changes would make space combat feel more exciting without taking away the crafting and survival aspects.

Hazard protection already works exactly like the underwater oxygen, and the aeration membrane.

You get a default bar that recharges when you are sheltered or breathing, courtesy of your suit's but in hazard protection, and you can supplement this with the hazard specific protection that needs recharging. This works like temporary shelter, allowing your built in protection bar to recharge.

Sorry for not being more clear, but I was referring to the default underwater meter, not the aeration upgrades. Hazard upgrades should be changed to not need "recharging", the upgrades should instead just make the meter go down more slowly. The base environmental hazard suit should be the only thing that recharges.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The radioactive joker planet with all the callium also has aquaspheres in its irradiated lakes. Gotta try and find a trade console. I was only supposed to stay in this system for a little while, looks like I'll be on this planet all night.

Nameless

Maybe I'm late but I found a beach with actual sand

I remember people complaining about the lack of sand in another thread.

Nice. Encouraging that people are in fact seeing new stuff. Saw my first non-ocean planet with water last night. There was a giant rocky continent with series of rivers and lakes throughout. Need to find a grassy one badly.

So I tried to reach lvl 5 with the robopolice on a planet. The big walker appeared and I destroyed it, now no matter where I go the the robopolice level won't level down. Glitch or did I fucked up?
That happened to me too when I got to five. Sentinels stopped appearing on planet for me altogether at that point. The five rating also persisted to space, and sentinel ships warped in. Had to just flee the system eventually.

Thought bug at first, but maybe design after the space encounter?

Ferr986

That happened to me too when I got to five. Sentinels stopped appearing on planet for me altogether at that point. The five rating also persisted to space, and sentinel ships warped in. Had to just flee the system eventually.

Thought bug at first, but maybe design after the space encounter?

I restarted the game and the alarm dissapeared so I'll say it's a glitch :/

Slygmous

NPCs sometimes sell antimatter in space stations, just hang around the docking bay.
Don't worry, the same thing happened to me, somebody will have antimatter to sell eventually!

F-Pina

True. Didn't even thought about that before.
And looking at it more I just noticed that Weight and Height are swapped :p

aaaaa0

Gravity is different on every planet , that thing could weigh 4 tons on earth , also density indifferent on every cell.

Unlike pounds (lbs), a kilogram (kg) is a unit of mass, not weight.

That means something that is 10 kg on Earth is still 10 kg on the moon, and will be 10 kg basically everywhere in the universe.

Clauss

Just had my first PC crash after 13 hours. I had just called my ship at an interface thing and was walking to the save point to "discover" the area. I lost about 10 minutes of walking :(

Moose84

Would people recommend just getting the Atlas quest over with as soon as possible and then making your way to the centre, or dragging the Quest out until the centre?

Question for all of you programmers playing the game.
I love the game. I don't take issue with all of the complaints around the release. I'm fully in the take your time and enjoy the exploration camp.

The only disappointment I have - and one that I'm wondering is even possible with a patch - is the ability to procedurally generate creatures and A.I. like the team does with the planets.

I was hoping for a far cry 4/ GTA level of species activity in the game, and was disappointed that creatures were not only rare, but most planets are pretty lifeless with only a few species on any given world.

I don't know programming AT ALL, but NMS has a world generator, is it possible to integrate and update with some sort of population/evolution generator? Like, if planet X has an abundance of XX resource and XX resource and is XXX distance from the sun, and the primary element of the planet is XXX , the random creature generator would generate a set of creatures, simulate the probable eating, hunting, intelligence patterns, then populate planets accordingly?

I get the not all planets have life. But what if it's possible that some planets have more intelligent life than others? When I play FarCry (for example), I don't want to kill anything. I simply enjoy watching the animals an AI routines interact.

NMS is the perfect game for that. Sometimes i just want to enter a cave to see how life 'works'. What's in the water? What's feeding off the rock. How do these creatures 'LIVE"?

I don't need combat, although aggressive creatures certainly spice things up.

When I find a planet with abundant life, I just want to watch and appreciate it, and NMS doesn't seem to offer that. YET.

Is this even possible in a DLC?

Ferr986

I love the game. I don't take issue with all of the complaints around the release. I'm fully in the take your time and enjoy the exploration camp.

The only disappointment I have - and one that I'm wondering is even possible with a patch - is the ability to procedurally generate creatures and A.I. like the team does with the planets.

I was hoping for a far cry 4/ GTA level of species activity in the game, and was disappointed that creatures were not only rare, but most planets are pretty lifeless with only a few species on any given world.

I don't know programming AT ALL, but NMS has a world generator, is it possible to integrate and update with some sort of population/evolution generator? Like, if planet X has an abundance of XX resource and XX resource and is XXX distance from the sun, and the primary element of the planet is XXX , the random creature generator would generate a set of creatures, simulate the probable eating, hunting, intelligence patterns, then populate planets accordingly?

I get the not all planets have life. But what if it's possible that some planets have more intelligent life than others? When I play FarCry (for example), I don't want to kill anything. I simply enjoy watching the animals an AI routines interact.

NMS is the perfect game for that. Sometimes i just want to enter a cave to see how life 'works'. What's in the water? What's feeding off the rock. How do these creatures 'LIVE"?

I don't need combat, although aggressive creatures certainly spice things up.

When I find a planet with abundant life, I just want to watch and appreciate it, and NMS doesn't seem to offer that. YET.

Not possible. Also, if you change the seed generator you would need to start a new save, like what happened with the game pre-day 1 patch.

TheFatMan

Did the fix any of the crashes, or the blueprint bug for PS4? Can't play yet and was wondering if anyone noticed. Didn't see anything about it in the last few pages here.

Alebrije

Not possible. Also, if you change the seed generator you would need to start a new save, like what happened with the game pre-day 1 patch.

That is sad , specially the animals AI. Can AI alone be improved on current animals ???? Becuase most of them just no behave and just move randomly.

That is sad , specially the animals AI. Can AI alone be improved on current animals ???? Becuase most of them just no behave and just move randomly.

AI could potentially be improved, but only within the context of how the spawning currently operates. As it stands however I doubt they have very many free CPU cycles to improve the AI though, because this game is VERY CPU constrained.

Septimius

The creatures are procedurally generated, and it would be no issue to procedurally generate AI.

Just a tip, go to some green/blue stars when you get the warp drive for it. Pretty much more happening there.

This isn't procedural, though. That's simulation. You could do that, but it wouldn't be procedural. Procedural means that for the same input the output is always the same. You could change the procedures to take into account some data and give, say, more woolly creatures on cold planets. There is no problem making a procedural system that gives an impression of evolution, but you don't have the time to actually evolve the creatures of a planet. However, it could've been made much better than it is, currently. It just seems to be random animals thrown down on random planets. Planets are also not actually in a solar system. They are on a backdrop with a sun, but nothing else matters. You could pretend they had a distance to the star, but it would make no sense given the way it is today. A huge shame, really. Sean said so many times that day and night were "because the planet actually rotated on its axis and not because of a changing skybox", when that is in essence what it is.

]

There's basically no AI, which is ridiculous. It's not hard to give all animals say a type of subclass of animal, then give that type a fairly complex AI. The AI shown in the game is dumbed down to the point where they do absolutely nothing. I want to remind everyone that even feeding was added in 1.03. Which again does basically nothing. They could've solved this by making say five subclasses. Then you make, say, the hunted subclass react in a way to the predator subclass, and give "aggressive" animals a more complex behavior than "attack the player if it's close". You can't even fucking shoot the ground, like Sean said so many times.

Depends, but given the way there are certain classes to animals, and there seems to be some arch-types with some random elements to them, it should really be no problem to add more complex AI. They've shown that they can, since they added feeding at 1.03. Although, again, it's not a good feature.

No. What made day zero saves obsolete was that the procedural algorithms changed. The seed could've been the same, but they changed some of the parameters of planet generation, which means that everything generated from that first seed turned out completely different. You can change "details" in the procedural generation, like density of animals, terrain (if you just make sure you place players in a good place after the patch) and such. Changing the algorithms to make more planets be more of one type is the type of thing that changes everything, and makes a save obsolete. You have a seed, then you generate from that. The seed is just a number, not a generator.

Top Bottom