• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Alebrije

AI could potentially be improved, but only within the context of how the spawning currently operates. As it stands however I doubt they have very many free CPU cycles to improve the AI though, because this game is VERY CPU constrained.

So just speculating, this could be one of the improvement possibles with NEO , referring to Sean's statement about more powerfull hardware would help.

Is there a way to search for crashed ships using the scanners with a bypass chip?
My first post and I'm already helping :).. Yes, search for Trasmission while using the scanners and look for transmission towers. I found the best way to do it is when you get a better ship that way, than look for another on another plannet. On the same plannet I kept getting the same or worse ships after I changed mine with a better one. Don't upgrade everything, only that which is needed. Landing gear and pulse drive. That will get you to another plannet. Beats buying new ships all the time and not to mention how expensive the good ones are. I'm currently at 24 slots on multy tool, 48 slots on exo and 31 slots on ship. Just did my 6th jump and finnaly found the anomaly station and got my Atlas pass lvl1

mulac

Ok wtf.

Playing on PS4, updated to the latest version this morning.
I've been "pottering" the last few days just doing some Emril and Gold mining to get my Unit levels nice and healthy before i start the main story proper.

Finally warp into a system that has the "Atlas - Come To Us" message; so I make the decision to go explore and maybe find one of those Atlas Passes.

Get a waypoint to an Anomaly!! Oohh!!

So off I warp and get to within one system of the anomaly...and...crash.

Ok, no biggie.

Reload.

Warp to system again (After doing the whole monolith thing again to get the Anomaly waypoint because...saving)...crash.

Same place.

Try again.

Crash..

One more time - get to within one system of it...crash.

Is this common or am I b00rked?

I really really really am enjoying the game but honestly these crashes are starting to get dumb.

So just speculating, this could be one of the improvement possibles with NEO , referring to Sean's statement about more powerfull hardware would help.

Ideally yes, but PCs already have vastly more powerful CPUs available and they don't really take full advantage of them now, except for pushing out the terrain generation a little further. It's still possible in the future, but again, most things they would likely change would result in a Universe Re-roll (like the day 1 patch).

Septimius

AI could potentially be improved, but only within the context of how the spawning currently operates. As it stands however I doubt they have very many free CPU cycles to improve the AI though, because this game is VERY CPU constrained.

Ah, I hadn't considered this. I didn't get how the game could be more "stupid" than the early builds, but the CPU constraint makes a lot of sense.

I think they increased the deformation radius of the default pulse grenade with the PS4 patch. Its now making bigger perfect circles instead of player sized ovals.

Hahs

I know it's pedantic and nitpicky, but one of my biggest pet peeves in this game so far is the absolutely absurd weights for large animals. That thing is 5 meters high and only weighs 240 kg? A giraffe is 5 meters high and it weighs over 1,000 kg. And that's mostly skinny neck, while that thing is stocky like a giant wolf. There's no way that thing is under 2,000 kg. Of all the inconceivable stuff that appears in this game, the fact that every giant creature you come across is apparently completely hollow is the silliest. And it seems like it's a pretty easy fix.
There's quite a few things the game doesn't account for - like planetary gravity (every planet can't have the same gravity), multiple biomes for planets/poles/eqautorial regions... (kudos for low- atmospheric planets, but what about high-hot pressure cooking planets?)

without these vital facts it kinda breaks the immersion a bit, but not enough for me not to enjoy myself - anyway assuming these existed in NMS some of those animal weights would make a bit more sense I think. If they could fix that though - man that would be sweet!

Septimius

Ideally yes, but PCs already have vastly more powerful CPUs available and they don't really take full advantage of them now, except for pushing out the terrain generation a little further. It's still possible in the future, but again, most things they would likely change would result in a Universe Re-roll (like the day 1 patch).

The way I would guess it could be is that if you change the "leaf" generations, and I'm thinking animals are generated per planet, you could change animals drastically without having to make saves obsolete. However, you'd have to take into account the uploads and discoveries made. Which is hard.

Jharp

I'm having a hell of a time finding a new ship. Still using the preorder ship, having't found a single crashed one, though I've been looking, and I can't afford to buy one off an NPC.

Currently at 10 hours played.

Am I doing something wrong?

Z3M0G

Just stumbled upon my first crashed ship... one more storage slot than my first ship. My inventory and ship were full so I'm switching ownership back and forth between ships trying to juggle what I need to do the repairs... needing all kinds of free slots to hold these fucking Carite Sheets... I'm about to throw in the towel, transfer everything back, and take off with my original ship...

Edit: game crashed as I was transferring everything back. Guess I'll be installing that patch now.

Edit: original ship disappeared with all my stuff... reloading old save now...

Edit: nope... original ship still gone.

WOW. Do NOT quit the game if you are in the middle of transferring between two ships!

Edit: now I need to repair this new ship without any materials...

Septimius

I'm having a hell of a time finding a new ship. Still using the preorder ship, having't found a single crashed one, though I've been looking, and I can't afford to buy one off an NPC.

You'll end up finding your own way of making money, just by playing. You don't need a guide, you'll feel yourself making more and more. Ship-swapping is really something you should hold off until you're over 30 slots, as the ships below that aren't really that expensive. Just hold off on buying a ship, see if you can make a million, then get something bigger.

Chose transmission using the signal transmittors and look for transmission towers. If you get something else, just search again for a transmission until you find a transmission tower

WipedOut

Underwater exploration, is this really a thing? I've found some nice water planets and never found a thing while going down under.

Hahs

Just stumbled upon my first crashed ship... one more storage slot than my first ship. My inventory and ship were full so I'm switching ownership back and forth between ships trying to juggle what I need to do the repairs... needing all kinds of free slots to hold these fucking Carite Sheets... I'm about to throw in the towel, transfer everything back, and take off with my original ship...
micromanaging instances - those are tough, but well worth it if you can pull it off.

It may not seem like much, but that ONE extra slot can be a god-send in some particular situations

FHIZ

post patch I got a red shield looking icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen when I'm on foot. Anyone know what that is? All my stuff is charged.

mokeyjoe

Not possible. Also, if you change the seed generator you would need to start a new save, like what happened with the game pre-day 1 patch.

That's not true. You could continue the save after the patch, several streamers did so. It just modified what was already there.

You only needed to restart to activate the paths - i.e. the handmade content.

Alebrije

OK thanks , also remember Sony said Neo games experience must be de same than actual PS4 so it would be wrong to have dumb animals on PS4 and smarter ones on NEO

mokeyjoe

That is sad , specially the animals AI. Can AI alone be improved on current animals ???? Becuase most of them just no behave and just move randomly.

Not quite. My friend stood and watched a predator stalk and kill several prey animals. Eventually it turned towards him and started to stalk him in a slow circle, then when it was close it ran and jumped at him.

They don't do much, but they do herd and eat and hunt.

Aenima

Ok, did i just found some kind of special weapon? I already "beated" the game, and never saw something like this before.
Images in the spoiler tags just in case.

HMpBXxg.png

oaH2X4P.png

mokeyjoe

Ok, did i just found some kind of special weapon? I already "beated" the game, and never saw something like this before.
Images in the spoiler tags just in case.

I found that yesterday. It's a cool gun. Also found a pure gold multitool just before.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I FOUND IT!!! GREEN GRASS!
BLUE SKIES!
BLUE WATERS!!!! CALLING IT NOW
NEO-EARTH

The only strange thing is the -48c rain.... BUT HEY!

Would people recommend just getting the Atlas quest over with as soon as possible and then making your way to the centre, or dragging the Quest out until the centre?

Yes, absolutely. The reward,
to see Black Holes on the Galaxy map
, helps quite some bit.

mokeyjoe

Oh, the creature stats are completely fucked even beyond the initial goof of having the weight and height stats reversed. My most difficult creature scan ever had some really funky stats going for them. Those little shits are 0.5m tall and weight 70kg?

Just upgrade the Photon cannon. It ends up far, far superior to the Phase Beam, even with the latter being both an auto-aim and a hit-scan weapon. Upgraded Photon cannon has so much more damage output that they end up pretty much incomparable.

I really think there's more going on with the creature stats than the height/weight switch. Surely they could have swapped the text after 2 patches...

I'm pretty sure it's somewhat broken.

TheFatMan

Well I can confirm the patch fixes neither the crashing or the blueprint bug.

Just got a "Life Support Upgrade Tau already known" message but the blueprint isn't in my bag. So that confirms that.

Also the game proceeded to crash when I landed in the space station.

Think I'm done with this game.

So I was having tons of crashes pre patch, and haven't had one crash since the patch (knock on wood). My inventory isn't that full right now, and I'm wondering if that has more to do with it.

OuterLimits

Just got a "Life Support Upgrade Tau already known" message but the blueprint isn't in my bag. So that confirms that.

I have had more crashes since the patch unfortunately. Hopefully it actually does fix some issues.

Not quite. My friend stood and watched a predator stalk and kill several prey animals. Eventually it turned towards him and started to stalk him in a slow circle, then when it was close it ran and jumped at him.

They don't do much, but they do herd and eat and hunt.

Yeah, there are definitely different creature behaviors in the game, but the AI does feel like 2 gens behind the state of the art. I think improving the creature animations would help a lot to mask the simplicity, especially attack animations. It would also help immersion if creatures actually were aware of vegetation in the game and ate them, instead of just milling about.

If we ever get a NMS 2, I'd love to see Rain World's dynamic AI behaviors within a NMS environment.

Aenima

I think i got that blue print bug too, but as i kept playing i kept finding that same blue print over and over again it eventually appeared in my inventory to be crafted.

After the patch it seems to me the game chash less, so far only one crash, while before i was having about 5 crashes a day. But im not warping too much and most of my crashes happened when i warped to a new system.

IvanJ

Banned
I have one question if somebody has an explanation or advice:

I'm on my way to the center, just warping from system to system.
Following the suggested line is very convoluted, jumping from left to right, gorward and back, so I just go to free roam and push towards the center (I figure it's the brightest light on the map)

I can jump about 1600 LY with all my equipment, so I scroll through the map until I find a system 1600 LY away....BUT I am only getting some 400-500 LY closer to the center?!?
And I am simply just plugging in the straight line, and am currently about 173K away.

Keeping this tempo, it's about 350 warps, when ideally it would have been about 100.
I do not want to use black holes, it's a gamble, something breaks and then I have to spend time looking for parts.
I only carry the bare necessities, right now that's about 25 warp cells and some platinum.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aenima

I have one question if somebody has an explanation or advice:

I'm on my way to the center, just warping from system to system.
Following the suggested line is very convoluted, jumping from left to right, gorward and back, so I just go to free roam and push towards the center (I figure it's the brightest light on the map)

I can jump about 1600 LY with all my equipment, so I scroll through the map until I find a system 1600 LY away....BUT I am only getting some 400-500 LY closer to the center?!?
And I am simply just plugging in the straight line, and am currently about 173K away.

Keeping this tempo, it's about 350 warps, when ideally it would have been about 100.
I do not want to use black holes, it's a gamble, something breaks and then I have to spend time looking for parts.
I only carry the bare necessities, right now that's about 25 warp cells and some platinum.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are u following the path of Atlas? Do that and save 10 atlas stones. After that your travels will get easier.

You will see where are black holes in the galaxy map, and using them will get you close to the center around 1500 to 2000 LY each time you use a black hole.

It will also break one of ur ship upgrades everytime you use it, but just using the hyperdrives to travel will take you a very long time.

RedSwirl

Why is it always so hard to find the last fucking animal on these planets?

I already scanned one bird species on this planet, and the planet has no water. I keep scanning the horizon with my scanner and no red dots ever show up.

IvanJ

Banned
Are u following the path of Atlas? Do that and save 10 atlas stones. After that your travels will get easier.

You will see where are black holes in the galaxy map, and using them will get you close to the center around 1500 to 2000 LY each time you use a black hole.

It will also break one of ur ship upgrades everytime you use it, but just using the hyperdrives to travel will take you a very long time.

I finished the Atlas path. My travels were easy before and after, that's not the problem.
Also, there is no value in using Black holes. I might get a bit closer than regular warp, but it's a crapshoot, and then I have to waste time hunting for replacement parts. It's easier to just warp 3-4 times, takes about 4 minutes.

My problem is that when I warp to a system 1500 LY away, straight shot to the center, I get only 400 LY closer to the center. That's what I'm trying to see if anyone has an expkanation or solution.

Top Bottom