• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Got a patch today, loaded up my save and I'm now stuck inside the planet I was on. Pretty sweet.

You can escape, you need to jet pack around while slowly drifting until you can stand on top of some cave elements, from there you can blast your way to the surface. It's strange, but trust me. I've done it a couple times.

Killed myself to try and get unstuck from the center of the planet. First time dying so I was afraid to see what the punishment for death is. Turns out it doesn't matter, spawned me inside the planet again.

CNCD9dh.jpg

I guess that's the end of my space adventure.

Do you have the grenade launcher attachment? Dig your way out.

Is there anything I can do to report crashes in the PC version? Like debug options I can turn on or logs I can send in to Hello Games? Because the game is still incredibly crashy, with the latest crash coming as I stared at a Gek trader's dialogue options trying to decide what to do. Crashes seem to happen for literally no reason at all and I have no steps to reproduce, so the only thing I can think to offer is a crash log. Any ideas?

SpaceHorror

Finally landed on a lush, grassland planet after system after system of barren rock shitholes or snow planets.

Sentinels are frenzied and pretty much attack you if they notice you.

Fml.

Matt Lees of Cool Ghosts / Daft Souls has put up what I think is the best No Man's Sky thinky video I've seen. No, it's not a hit piece, though he has criticisms and he's fair and reasonable about it. He explores the game design a bit and has some interesting insights. Ultimately I'd say it's a bit of a love letter to a game he readily admits has its share of flaws. Which I think would probably describe the way most of us in here feel about it. Definitely worth a look.

GeoramA

Finally landed on a lush, grassland planet after system after system of barren rock shitholes or snow planets.

Sentinels are frenzied and pretty much attack you if they notice you.

Fml.
That means there are very valuable resources on that planet. Find them, sell them, get rich quick.

Is there anything I can do to report crashes in the PC version? Like debug options I can turn on or logs I can send in to Hello Games? Because the game is still incredibly crashy, with the latest crash coming as I stared at a Gek trader's dialogue options trying to decide what to do. Crashes seem to happen for literally no reason at all and I have no steps to reproduce, so the only thing I can think to offer is a crash log. Any ideas?

From the support page, email them at support@hellogames.co.uk with this info:
I got a crash playing the game on PC
PC users – please provide your PC specifications, using DxDiag or :
1. Click “Help” in the top left corner of the steam client,
2. Click system information
3. Right click in the system information window and select “Copy all to clipboard”
4. Paste into your response email
PC Crashes – please attach the following:
You will hopefully find a crash dump here:
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp
(it will be called something like NMS_crash_1471005374.dmp)

Any PS4 devs in here, are the crash reports worth sending on that platform? Do y'all actually get them from Sony?

Afrodium

Banned
I just picked up this game today and after a few hours I think it's very cool. It's weird, because I can see the flaws, and know why this game got the reception it got, but so far I'm really enjoying flying to uncharted planets and shooting at rocks.

I've been barreling down the Atlas path, just flying to planets, mining gold and Emeril, selling it and then crafting whatever I need to progress. In about 3 to 4 hours of play I've made it to the third star system and bought a sweet new ship and multitool. I have to wonder how many people feel obliged to comb over to every planet and visit each planet in each system. It's impossible to see everything in this game so I dont't feel like I'm missing anything by skipping planets altogether. Especially if they're boring.

I love this game , but In the future I hope they can expand he creature Ai

- would love to see entire valleys of herds. Best I have seen is 5-10 animals
- would love to see massive amounts of flying creatures , perhaps moving in herds
- way more deadly animals , something like pitch black where 1000s of creatures all fly in formation and kill everything

I love just exploring but would love to see a lot more dangers

Aenima

Man, this game keeps on trowing little cool details even after hundreds of hours on it.

So yesterday i warped to a system and right from the start i see the distress signal and the pirates coming from behind me. They shot some at me but as i did not return fire they ignored me and moved to suround the big cargo ships.
So i ignored the distress signal and went to a planet to gather some materials i needed, after some time i look to the sky and see what looked like 7 shooting stars all coming down on the planet horizon, so i jumped in my ship and boosted to see what was that.
When i got close, i see it was the 7 pirate ships that attacked the cargo ships right from the beginning, but they was all moving to the planet so i decided to follow them, and finally they all landed in a trading post, i could not land there as they took all the landing spots (like a bikers gang) so i landed in the ground and jetpacked to them. All they ships had the same theme colour (dark red) and all the ships was 3 types of figher starships. I could talk to them like a normal trader, buy they ships or just trade goods. The curious was they was stocked with some rare merchandising and exotic materials. I guess those was the spoils from the attack they did. Real cool stuff.

i have something like that, as well. it seems like its a rare vy'keen multitool

And yours have a slight diferent design too. Cool stuff, now i wonder if thers some kinda rare crashed ship with a unique design too... hummm

Stackboy

Quick question. If I stray from the Atlas Path for a few systems will I be able to return to the path? There's a blue system close by and I'd like to explore it, but I'm worried that it'll ruin the Atlas quest.

Your map should just direct you to the quickest path to the Atlus destination, I believe.

diaspora

Man, the stuff with the alien languages and building entire gameplay mechanics around trying to learn from them and understand them is nothing short of brilliant.

Has anyone ever figured out storage requirements for game patches on PS4? I had 60.89 GB of free space but the NMS patch wouldn't download for me. I deleted a couple of games I was going to delete anyway and got to over 80GB of free space and now the update will download... all 605 MB of it. Really? :/

mokeyjoe

I swear they've changed .... something in this patch. Planets seem further apart, some over two minutes. And the landscapes I'm seeing are more bizarre. More rivers, bigger caves, craters, islands floating in water. More animals on screen too, I must have had a shoal of 30+ jellyfish too. Also, slow flying birds, and lots of butterflies. I have no idea whether it's just luck or what, but I've had an incredible variety of stuff tonight. Got hunted by a straight up Jersey Devil, which was genuinely freaky.

Maybe they moved some sliders around.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yay. Finally got the Atlas Pass V1!

Still having a blast with this game. Really fitting my current need for a game to veg out and relax with.

Daaamn, I think this might be the record for longest time spent on first planet. Possibly...
Anyone else got more hours?
Glad you're enjoying the game, it's quite addictive.

Finally got the brains the check my gametime on GOG.com and surprisingly, it's only 8 hours? really feels like much more than that as all this time I was on my beginning planet.

Apologies for the mistake.

I've done it on PS4, someone with the PC copy should test it.

oh my. I think you've just revitalized the game for me.

How does it work? Does it matter how many empty item slots you have? And do the additional items you pick up automatically get placed in the stack with the one from the deconstructed item? Does this impact Exosuit inventory or Ship inventory?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm on a desolate planet with animal species. It's incredibly Zinc deprived. I made the mistake of switching to a crashed ship, but not having enough Zinc to fix the Pulse Engine. And now I lost my old ship... I can either wander aimlessly to find my old ship, or continue to find 11 freaking units of Zinc.

Any advice? Am I missing an obvious resource of Zinc?

oh my. I think you've just revitalized the game for me.

How does it work? Does it matter how many empty item slots you have? And do the additional items you pick up automatically get placed in the stack with the one from the deconstructed item? Does this impact Exosuit inventory or Ship inventory?
Once you dismantle the tech, it'll produce the stackable item variant. Once placed in inventory, items picked up will stack automatically. Crafted items( like crate sheets) will need to be manually stacked. if you try to move a stackable item between inventories where other stackable items exist, they will combine. For example: Exosuit 10/100 Vortex cube, Ship 1/100 Vortex Cube. If you transfer you'll get 11/100 Vortex Cube. So wait until the stack is full before you move a variant between inventories.

atpbx

I'm on a desolate planet with animal species. It's incredibly Zinc deprived. I made the mistake of switching to a crashed ship, but not having enough Zinc to fix the Pulse Engine. And now I lost my old ship... I can either wander aimlessly to find my old ship, or continue to find 11 freaking units of Zinc.

It's always best to check the resource requirements to fix the crash ship first, and then go find them before switching.

I've found a couple of juicy ships, but haven't got anywhere near the resources to fix them, so I'm currently hunting around trying to find them.

r1chard

Matt Lees of Cool Ghosts / Daft Souls has put up what I think is the best No Man's Sky thinky video I've seen. No, it's not a hit piece, though he has criticisms and he's fair and reasonable about it. He explores the game design a bit and has some interesting insights. Ultimately I'd say it's a bit of a love letter to a game he readily admits has its share of flaws. Which I think would probably describe the way most of us in here feel about it. Definitely worth a look.
That was really good, and thought provoking, thanks for sharing!

Okay I have a question to ask everyone in this thread and I wasn't going to because I didn't want people to call me an Idiot or something along those lines but just a question.

Does anyone remember the interview back in 2014 about Sean talking about Open Lobbies?

Fess

i have something like that, as well. it seems like its a rare vy'keen multitool

f24a9927a5.jpg

336e0381f0.jpg
Yup I have a similar one too, got it as a gift from an alien of sorts communicating to me through a monolith, only 17 slots though. Too cool, it has caused me to never want to upgrade again lol

Is there an easy way to find your way back to old systems besides browsing the starmap and hoping you find the right one?

Once you dismantle the tech, it'll produce the stackable item variant. Once placed in inventory, items picked up will stack automatically. Crafted items( like crate sheets) will need to be manually stacked. if you try to move a stackable item between inventories where other stackable items exist, they will combine. For example: Exosuit 10/100 Vortex cube, Ship 1/100 Vortex Cube. If you transfer you'll get 11/100 Vortex Cube. So wait until the stack is full before you move a variant between inventories.

Thanks so much for this!

tchocky

So, I don't know if this is a bug in the new experimental build but it's driving me nuts.

See the blue marker on the right? Moving my camera around.

It's pointing to nothing. Unless my eyes are deceiving me. I can't even remember what the blue marker is for.

The blue marker is for a beacon that leads to ruins.

Liljagare

I love this game , but In the future I hope they can expand he creature Ai

- would love to see entire valleys of herds. Best I have seen is 5-10 animals
- would love to see massive amounts of flying creatures , perhaps moving in herds
- way more deadly animals , something like pitch black where 1000s of creatures all fly in formation and kill everything

I love just exploring but would love to see a lot more dangers

Had a flock of mini-8 legged cows last night on my cube filled planet I just found, must have been 35-40 of the little buggers running around, also had a school of octupus, hundreds, were swimming around.

[...] When i got close, i see it was the 7 pirate ships that attacked the cargo ships right from the beginning, but they was all moving to the planet so i decided to follow them, and finally they all landed in a trading post, i could not land there as they took all the landing spots (like a bikers gang) so i landed in the ground and jetpacked to them. All they ships had the same theme colour (dark red) and all the ships was 3 types of figher starships. I could talk to them like a normal trader, buy they ships or just trade goods. The curious was they was stocked with some rare merchandising and exotic materials. I guess those was the spoils from the attack they did. Real cool stuff.

Great story! I've never seen seven ships cruising around on a planet before. I've noticed some ship groups that are not only the same ship design, but the same person. Captain Xzerak, with Captain Xzerak right next to them. Clones? Takes a bit out of the immersion. I know the NPCs have a paper-thin veneer of believability, but they do add a bit of flavor and personal touch that the game needs more of.

I swear they've changed .... something in this patch. Planets seem further apart, some over two minutes. And the landscapes I'm seeing are more bizarre. More rivers, bigger caves, craters, islands floating in water. More animals on screen too, I must have had a shoal of 30+ jellyfish too. Also, slow flying birds, and lots of butterflies. I have no idea whether it's just luck or what, but I've had an incredible variety of stuff tonight. Got hunted by a straight up Jersey Devil, which was genuinely freaky.

Maybe they moved some sliders around.

I'd be surprised, but then again we still don't know what they've changed in the update. To your point though, I'm currently on a snowy forest moon and I've never seen so much life on the planets I've been to before. Groups of different species and their young all chilling out together, maybe 20-30 on the screen at a time.

That was really good, and thought provoking, thanks for sharing!

Glad you liked it! Their podcast Daft Souls is quite good too.

4thman

Neo Member

I had the exact same problem...could not find zinc anywhere....didn't know what I was gonna do, then remembered that you can extract zinc from a technology you've built by dismantling it....it meant losing my next level suit shield, but I got my zinc and cheesed it our of there....hope that helps

DjRalford

Was on a planet where there was so much wildlife and a sky full of flying eels that when using the scanner there were dots everywhere, the entire time my FPS was about 10, it was awfully jarring, once off the planet it was fine again.

Hahs

I had the exact same problem...could not find zinc anywhere....didn't know what I was gonna do, then remembered that you can extract zinc from a technology you've built by dismantling it....it meant losing my next level suit shield, but I got my zinc and cheesed it our of there....hope that helps
Use your scanner - look for a question mark "marker" and go to it. If it has a data beacon, grab some plutonium and iron to create s bypass chip - from there look for a colonial outpost - these typically have a trading terminals which usually sell zinc. . . Good Luck!

Top Bottom