• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

DjRalford

Hmmmm, I stayed on an extreme planet for ages, it kept counting up to 4.1 sols and then it just stopped goin up, haven't left the planet or died.

E92 M3

Anyone else have their galactic waypoint messed up with 1.04? My Atlas path changed to going backwards through old systems. I think it had to do with my old waypoint.

Got the extreme survival gold trophy, now just need the ships destroyed and the warp trophies. Will get them on my journey to the center. I'm making jumps straight towards the center about 1600LY at a time.

Elandyll

Banned
1 and a half week played, more than 20 planets visited and something like 6 or 7 planetary systems, and still not 1 Gek system in sight. I think they're losing the war...

Managed to upgrade the suit quite a bit, and found two new (crashed) ships last night, each giving me a +1.

First ship was a straight U boat, but the second one has a very Thunderbird-y sort of quality I really like.
The quest for a Gek system resume tonight... this game is eating my evenings away, but my wife isn't giving me any shit about it because she is up to her eyeballs in Legion invasions in WoW ;)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I swear they've changed .... something in this patch. Planets seem further apart, some over two minutes. And the landscapes I'm seeing are more bizarre. More rivers, bigger caves, craters, islands floating in water. More animals on screen too, I must have had a shoal of 30+ jellyfish too. Also, slow flying birds, and lots of butterflies. I have no idea whether it's just luck or what, but I've had an incredible variety of stuff tonight. Got hunted by a straight up Jersey Devil, which was genuinely freaky.

Maybe they moved some sliders around.

I've noticed this. Something feel really different. Like, I've seen more birds, crazier plants, and traveling between planets is taking longer.

Got the extreme survival gold trophy, now just need the ships destroyed and the warp trophies. Will get them on my journey to the center. I'm making jumps straight towards the center about 1600LY at a time.

Getting the trophies for finding all species on every planet seems fucking tedious.

Also, my extreme survival planet tracker doesn't seem to be going up. I don't get it.

Hmmmm, I stayed on an extreme planet for ages, it kept counting up to 4.1 sols and then it just stopped goin up, haven't left the planet or died.

Exact same problem I have-- stuck at 4.6, despite traveling to two separate "extreme" planets. I simply hadn't noticed it was the only milestone stuck for me until the space anomaly gek asked about it.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
So i was jumped by space pirates for the first time. There were like 8 of them flying around attacking me. I couldnt even focus on one ship to fire at...it was an inevitable death. Question is how am i supposed to survive these encounters? I still have my first ship but dont think thats the problem. Looking for antimatter blueprints currently...

Also when do i get my second chance to get back on the atlas path?

Handy Fake

So i was jumped by space pirates for the first time. There were like 8 of them flying around attacking me. I couldnt even focus on one ship to even fire at...it was an inevitable death. Question is how am i supposed to survive these encounters? I still have my first ship but dont think thats the problem. Looking for antimatter blueprints currently...

Phase Beam.
Run.

pip77

Those that tried and completed the extreme survival milestones: A couple days ago I was working on the survival milestones until I decided that I wanted to do the crashed ship grind and come back later. When I loaded up the save and launched from the outpost, I encountered the glitch where I was launched immediately to outer space. It was okay since I believe the timer would reset. Since then, I have been to two extreme planets and explored each for a while, but in the journey screen the timer shows that the next milestone is in 2.5 sols.

Should the sol timer go back to 0 once I leave a extreme planet?

8bit

Knows the Score
On PS4 the game sometimes just stops saving. It says it saves but it dosent. You can notice it by game freezing for a second while saving.

Yeah, had that earlier in the week. Lost about 250000 units as the save game was locked to the previous evening's last save game.

Embearded

I have almost maxed out everything so i think its time to move to the center of the galaxy.
Following to path to the center is going tk be a very slow process. Is the center that very shiny big orb?

Elandyll

Banned
So i was jumped by space pirates for the first time. There were like 8 of them flying around attacking me. I couldnt even focus on one ship to even fire at...it was an inevitable death. Question is how am i supposed to survive these encounters? I still have my first ship but dont think thats the problem. Looking for antimatter blueprints currently...

A few options:
- always a good idea to carry Iron, Zync or Titanium to recharge shields
- be quick when recharging shields in combat, time is slowed but not stopped
- recharge your shield before it drops to 0. I do it around 25% myself if possible
- at first, it's a lot easier to use beams than canons, as they auto aim if you are close enough. Canons, specially upgraded, do tons more damage, but for the first few encounters beam is better imo
- the red arrows show ships actually engaged in combat with you, avoid shooting other ships, and concentrate on the double arrow ship
- if overwhemed, pulse boost away while still recharging. You can use an asteroid field to run interference. In my experience, pirates also will not follow in atmosphere, and will not follow in a space station if you need to escape
- if you are getting scanned while flying out, and do not feel like fighting, Pulse Jump (L1/R1). Note: if tenacious, pirates might still use a Jump disruptor to force you to engage, which is why you need to jump quickly if you are scanned.

Is there a way to find out what to do next on the Atlas Path? I've completely lost the thread at this point, and the little thing that pops up in the lower right hand corner hasn't appeared in quite awhile.

I can't really remember the last significant thing I've done really. I built the Hyperdrive and started exploring stars.

So i was jumped by space pirates for the first time. There were like 8 of them flying around attacking me. I couldnt even focus on one ship to fire at...it was an inevitable death. Question is how am i supposed to survive these encounters? I still have my first ship but dont think thats the problem. Looking for antimatter blueprints currently...

Keep recharging your shield and blast one by one with the photon canon, the laser thing is useless, in my opinion. I've never been defeated by pirates and my ship doesn't have any shield upgrade. Just keep a LOT of titanium around whenever you are flying with high valuable cargo.

I'm under the impression that the more loaded you are with valuables, the more pirates you draw into you.

13962835_10153822974274135_7561931164377955438_o.jpg

Hey, look! I found the Traveler from Destiny in No Man's Sky.

I got the silver last night and on my way to gold. This is the least fun I've had with the game, but thankfully, once these 2 trophies are done, the rest should happen organically as I play the game my normal way.

TyrantII

in the journey screen the timer shows that the next milestone is in 2.5 sols.

Should the sol timer go back to 0 once I leave a extreme planet?

Journeys screen will show you the longest you have gone. It doesn't reset there, but will continue counting up once you reach 2.5 again.

IvanJ

Banned
I am doing the same.
Have you noticed that every time you make the jump, you only get about 400 LY closer to the center?

sandkiller

Does rest mode work fine with this game or are the crashes unrelated to that?

Should get the game today, is out for delivery... Looking forward to it!!

Afrodium

Banned
So if I see a new multitool for sale that has an upgrade I don't have the blueprint for, but the upgrade isn't adjacent to the right component, is that upgrade worthless? Is the loadout of a buyable multitool irrelevant unless the components happen to be properly arranged?

backlot

So if I see a new multitool for sale that has an upgrade I don't have the blueprint for, but the upgrade isn't adjacent to the right component, is that upgrade worthless? Is the loadout of a buyable multitool irrelevant unless the components happen to be properly arranged?

I wouldn't worry about arrangement too much until you get a max slot multitool. You're going to be buying new tools pretty frequently.

Haunted

Is there a way to find out what to do next on the Atlas Path? I've completely lost the thread at this point, and the little thing that pops up in the lower right hand corner hasn't appeared in quite awhile.

I can't really remember the last significant thing I've done really. I built the Hyperdrive and started exploring stars.
If you enter the galactic map, there should be an "Atlas Path" tab, showing faint yellow lines to the next star systems on the path. Just keep following those, I suppose? (It's what I'm doing :D )

Wait, what? I thought it was enough to have an upgrade in the inventory, no matter the placement.

Septimius

Adjacency is just a bonus. You can't build an upgrade you don't have the blueprint for, but there's no reason to move it just to get the bonus.

r1chard

Argh, my goddamn kingdom (ok, ship) for some goddamn Chrysonite. Three systems in a row scoured and none to be seen except for purchase in tiny quantities :/

brentech

Argh, my goddamn kingdom (ok, ship) for some goddamn Chrysonite. Three systems in a row scoured and none to be seen except for purchase in tiny quantities :/
It's the greatest feeling when you find a planet that has chrysonite like most have plutonium.

Embearded

Here is a tip:
Don't go into Black Holes or don't wrap far into the galaxy before clearing your waypoints in galactic map... I am more than 10 wraps away and there is no choice to delete them..

Septimius

So I want to keep playing, but there's nothing to go back to. I don't have any more upgrades I want to make. My multitool destroys anything with no effort. My ship can handle all battles, and my suit is ready for action. I have no incentive to travel to systems besides getting more resources for warp cores and stuff that's ruined by black holes. It's just tedious, and there's nothing to kind of just.. hang around for. I really want to keep playing, but.. I just don't feel like there's a reason. The end of the Atlas pass was
an utter disappointment. Normally when I hear people say things like this about endings, it doesn't really bother me. This time, however. I mean, they could've just written like five more sentences, and it would've been a lot better. Why.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I swear they've changed .... something in this patch. Planets seem further apart, some over two minutes. And the landscapes I'm seeing are more bizarre. More rivers, bigger caves, craters, islands floating in water. More animals on screen too, I must have had a shoal of 30+ jellyfish too. Also, slow flying birds, and lots of butterflies. I have no idea whether it's just luck or what, but I've had an incredible variety of stuff tonight. Got hunted by a straight up Jersey Devil, which was genuinely freaky.

Maybe they moved some sliders around.

Awesome. I hope this kind of thing happens with every patch or update they release.

1.04 finally downloaded for me today on my lunch break. I'm looking forward to a good couple of hours game time tonight.

I finally have a 48 slot ship to match the 48 slot exosuit. After warping a couple of times, ended up landing on a dream planet that is lush with vegetation. It has mounds and pillars of gold, plenty of Chrysonite crystals, and Vortex cubes in just about every cave I have explored so far.

I will be definitely staying on this planet for a while.

Here's a clip of the planet's environment: https://youtu.be/4li0alzUVy4

Here was my stash after running thru a few of the caves with the vortex cubes:

RfaNefZl.png

hyxd5Qhl.png

fuck, i found a planet like that but i cant remember which one was it. i regret i didnt stay to make cash now and im so far away that backtracking is a hassle so im just gonna keep going forward

now what i do is name planets with their main feature (materials, dragon balls, nothingness, etc)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Take advantage. I found Heaven in planetary forms where you couldn't spit without hitting Pearl Pods. Stayed for a while because I figured I'd encounter another...this was almost a week ago.

I warped to a system with a harsh frozen moon covered with the gravitno balls and the planet 20 seconds away is a lava planet covered with venom sacs. I made 1.5 million in about 20 minutes last night. I'll be spending some more time there this evening. Sell for cash, upgrade suit slots at drop pods, farm some more.

Warp crashes fixxed. Random crashes/save bug not fixxed.
I crashed while warping yesterday, post patch. So not entirely fixed. Still seems to be getting more and more unstable the deeper to the core I go.

Maybe that's the secret at the center of the galaxy, a perpetual crash state.

I'm paranoid that all of the negativity will demotivate HG from working on future updates.

I'm not. There are over 700K players on Steam and the PS4 number is probably higher. The review scores haven't turned out that bad. There's a solid foundation for growth. I can't see them abandoning the game.

Seiniyta

I'm not. There are over 700K players on Steam and the PS4 number is probably higher. The review scores haven't turned out that bad. There's a solid foundation for growth. I can't see them abandoning the game.

It might be they even predicted the scores and blackslash knowing that they'll improve the game significantly in updates giving it legs.

I mean, I think base building alone will add a million copies on steam XD

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Physics simulated star systems. Riiiiiight.

Although the lack of physics driven solar systems does kind of suck, it would have meant we would never get vistas like the one in this and so many other screens that give the game that SciFi feel.

If we had to trade(and we did) I would chose the same as Sean and his team did. Physics based everything is obviously technically impressive, but after how many planets would that matter? When after being on a ton of worlds, we are constantly blown away by the vistas and night skies of the current system.

I'm paranoid that all of the negativity will demotivate HG from working on future updates.

Most devs I know personally-- most work on smaller indie projects but a few work at larger game factories like EA and Ubi-- have developed pretty thick skin over the years when it comes Internet vitriol.

I think if NMS sells enough, they see that there are enough active copies being played, or cull trophy/achievement data to gauge length of engagement, that'll help inform them as to where to concentrate their efforts on updating, tweaking/balancing, and adding to the game.

Additionally if the game is really bound for the Xbox One, as I believe it is, there ought to be a lot more motivation to quash bugs and add more features in order to get out ahead of the negativity presented by some loud corners of the Internet, and present X1 consumers with a compelling package.

Top Bottom