• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

KORNdoggy

On PS4 the game sometimes just stops saving. It says it saves but it dosent. You can notice it by game freezing for a second while saving.

my game always freezes for a second while saving (most noticeable at the save beacon/posts) but it always saves my data.

It might be they even predicted the scores and blackslash knowing that they'll improve the game significantly in updates giving it legs.

I mean, I think base building alone will add a million copies on steam XD

The more I play the game, the more I think base building makes no sense. As much as you can explore one single planet, staying put and making a home sounds counter-productive.

Septimius

I don't get where HG went wrong. There are so many things about NMS that's so easily redeemable that I don't get why they have left it out in the first place. Look at 1.03 patch. It fucking adds the story. What were they doing for all this time? Things that should've been in the game:

1) Base-building. Rudimentary. A place to call "home". A way to mark that on a planet, and a way to mark a planet or find back to that system. Base-building via crafting.
2) More consequence from sentinel involvement, harder to shake, more strategic battling
3) Harder wildlife, a need to get shelter from wildlife, say at night
4) Deeper fractions, more interactions, harder to get top level, more rewards

Things that I'd like to be in the game:

1) A need for a base. Some things that can only be done from there. Some type of base of operations.
2) More involved crafting
3) All of the suggestions above to make some area of the galaxy our own, so that we can mark what we can find where, and travel around and gather what we need to make various things. As it is now, you have to play roulette, since you're not really "based" anywhere in the galaxy. You're just encountering random planets and hope they have fucking chrystium. Let alone finding Radox or Omegon. It's just a lottery, and it can be a bit compelling, but it's eventually just frustrating.

There are so many more things I could write up, and most of those things aren't radical changes to the game, and I don't get why none of the features are implemented. This is such an alpha version of the game. Beta if you're generous. It's not even vanilla Minecraft.

my game always freezes for a second while saving (most noticeable at the save beacon/posts) but it always saves my data.

No, it's a literal second, and also when you leave the ship. It's not the same as with beacons, and exiting the ship is the best way to notice if it does it.

Seiniyta

The more I play the game, the more I think base building makes no sense. As much as you can explore one single planet, staying put and making a home sounds counter-productive.

You can have a teleporter to a planet, and have furniture/walls/components strewn all across the galaxy to acquire them.

The game would still push you to explore, but when you feel like you want to chill out on a favourite planet you've found you could do that. At least that's how I hope they implement it.

Haunted

Yeah, it doesn't really gel with the pacing and feeling of the game.

Though there are ways to make base building happen. Mobile base. Space station. Placing a warphole/teleporter/whatever on a particular planet. etc

Muzicfreq

Banned
13962835_10153822974274135_7561931164377955438_o.jpg

Hey, look! I found the Traveler from Destiny in No Man's Sky.
Can you go to the traveller?
Nnnno
Do you help the traveller?
Nnnyes??
Will you ever learn about the traveller?
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Septimius

Not really, though. I don't know what's at the center of the universe, but I bet you I won't really care to go back once I've been there once. If I were to continue to play the game, it'd be to "settle down" somewhere and not have to jump around aimlessly, or just crossing my fingers if I find the elements I need or not.

The problem is that they've made this "there's no need to be attached to any place you are", but human being like to have a base. It's why minecraft is so compelling. You make that safe place, then you go out and explore. We've all felt that awesome feeling of coming "home" in Minecraft.

NH Apache

Banned
This is one of those games where you're playing and you look up and it's suddenly been 3 hours. It just brings you in. I'm still enamored with it.

magawolaz

I kind of agree. Imho it would have made sense if the planet was completely empty, like literally undiscovered: think about fliying around and build shelters, observatories, etc. for other players to use when they stumble across your planet.
That would have been amazing. Yet kind of hard to do given the size of the planets...

Morts

I hope a future update lets you bring creatures from one planet to another and cause ecological disasters.

Plus if there's going to be base building I want to build a zoo.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You can have a teleporter to a planet, and have furniture/walls/components strewn all across the galaxy to acquire them.

The game would still push you to explore, but when you feel like you want to chill out on a favourite planet you've found you could do that. At least that's how I hope they implement it.

I'd rather bases be your center of operations for galactic conquest.

I agree that currently the game is designed in such a way as to encourage you to not stay attached to planets or even your main personalization items (MT and ships), and just scrap -> upgrade -> keep moving.

Adding some kind of base building feature would seem to necessitate a lot more features being added, for example:

- a far easier way to negotiate the galactic map in order to keep track of and return to your planet with your base(s)

- Some sort of gameplay functionality for bases beyond vanity; allow for landings or visits by NPCs? Visiting merchants offering exotic MTs each day? The ability to customize it with various things you find in other shelters like a Galactic Market terminal? Storage "tanks" (like the ones that hold platinum) for hoarding mats/trade items, etc..

etc...

Obviously they are working on implementing base building, I just think it'll be a more substantial update than "press x to place shelter" when it arrives. I feel it kind of has to at this point.

E92 M3

I'm not. There are over 700K players on Steam and the PS4 number is probably higher. The review scores haven't turned out that bad. There's a solid foundation for growth. I can't see them abandoning the game.

That's great to hear - I wish the best for HG.

Most devs I know personally-- most work on smaller indie projects but a few work at larger game factories like EA and Ubi-- have developed pretty thick skin over the years when it comes Internet vitriol.

I think if NMS sells enough, they see that there are enough active copies being played, or cull trophy/achievement data to gauge length of engagement, that'll help inform them as to where to concentrate their efforts on updating, tweaking/balancing, and adding to the game.

Additionally if the game is really bound for the Xbox One, as I believe it is, there ought to be a lot more motivation to quash bugs and add more features in order to get out ahead of the negativity presented by some loud corners of the Internet, and present X1 consumers with a compelling package.

The reason i brought it up, because multiple times in various interviews Sean talked about "people being nice." I'm thinking with all of the personal attacks lately, it has gotten him down.

They put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into NMS. I imagine it sucks to have your baby shit on - financial success aside.

Septimius

I hope a future update lets you bring creatures from one planet to another and cause ecological disasters.

Plus if there's going to be base building I want to build a zoo.

There's no ecology. There's just random creatures plopped down on a planet. They are random and don't give a damn what type of climate it is, or anything. It's as shallow as a mantlepiece.

I am doing the same.
Have you noticed that every time you make the jump, you only get about 400 LY closer to the center?

I think that's because if you follow the line, it isn't necessarily a linear path to the centre. It will deviate up and down (relatively speaking). So even if your ship travels 1600 LY, you might only gain 400 LY difference

Septimius

I think that's because if you follow the line, it isn't necessarily a linear path to the centre. It will deviate up and down (relatively speaking). So even if your ship travels 1600 LY, you might only gain 400 LY difference

I've gone a straight line many times, and I don't get anywhere near the 1600 it allegedly is. I've travelled through black holes that take me 1,700,000 ly, which is a good feat in a galaxy less than 500,000ly across. And I'm still only 3000ly closer to the center.

NH Apache

Banned
There's no ecology. There's just random creatures plopped down on a planet. They are random and don't give a damn what type of climate it is, or anything. It's as shallow as a mantlepiece.

Speaking of ecology, I want to, on my future base, to be able to plant a garden with the items I scan. Like it gives me the seed or something.

Morts

Bummer. I haven't actually played yet, just spectating this thread. I might hop in after Deus Ex though.

muteki

I can only think of base building as some late/end game thing when you have no anomalies or centers of the galaxy to visit, at the same time it would have to offer something to people that already have a max'd out ship and suit by that point. Maybe the base and freighter interact together somehow.

But yeah, right now I don't see what I would get out of a base as even the most interesting of planets (read: profitable) I'm off of in < 2hrs max.

I've gone a straight line many times, and I don't get anywhere near the 1600 it allegedly is. I've travelled through black holes that take me 1,700,000 ly, which is a good feat in a galaxy less than 500,000ly across. And I'm still only 3000ly closer to the center.

Yeh but don't black holes take you to a random location? So you could literally be plopped anywhere in the galaxy that is slightly closer to the centre. Also I think the 'distance travelled' value is just plucked out of nowhere, because like you said, almost all of them are 500 000 LY +

Septimius

I think the problem with distance is that they've had to cheat a lot, because navigating a galaxy with quadrillions of stars will lead to a computer melt down if it's not cheated. However, currently all systems have a "distance to center". Linear distance = current system distance to center - that systems distance to center. How hard can that be?

IvanJ

Banned
I am not following their suggested lines. I go to free roam map and make a straight line towards the center.

But that's OK, I'm sure it's explainable by physics or some other science I know nothing about.

I'm at 170K away, so only about 425 warps to go. Woohoo!

Septimius

What's the trick to stacking items in the ship? Do I just have to dismantle an item that uses vortex cubes?

Yup.

I am not following their suggested lines. I go to free roam map and make a straight line towards the center.

But that's OK, I'm sure it's explainable by physics or some other science I know nothing about.

I'm at 170K away, so only about 425 warps to go. Woohoo!

Finish the atlas path, use black holes.

It seems like when you dismantle the hyperdrive upgrades to move to another ship you don't get the full amount of materials back? is that right? it makes it a pain having to find the materials again every time you find a ship with one extra slot in it.
I think it gives you back half of the materials to build it.

Black holes suck. If you have the Sigma, Tau, and Theta warp upgrades all connected to your hyperdrive you can jump about 1600LY at a time. If you are 170,000LY out that's only about 106 jumps.

It seems like the 170LY value is wrong, as the day one patch made the galaxy size 4x bigger or so. You'll notice that if you jump a linear distance of 1600LY, you only reduce your distance from the centre by 400LY. So Black Holes remain the best way to move forwards.

IvanJ

Banned
Finish the atlas path, use black holes.
Finished it a while ago.
To me, there is no incentive to use Black Holes.
Other than them being random, and not gaining that much distance (the one I was prompted to use said I jumped 120K, and ended up getting me a full 1K closer to the center), they always break something and then I have to hunt for parts for two hours.
That one time I had to come up with 1000 Emeril, took me 5 planets to find it.

It is so much simpler to just warp ahead at a steady pace.
I run a tight ship, only stocking plutonium, thamium, heridium, iron and zinc. And about 20 warp cells at all time.

Warp, land on a planet, open a couple of V1 debris containers for antimatter or fluid, replenish Pu, Fe, He, Zn every 5-6 planets, blast off, shoot a few asteroids and warp.
2-3 minute turnaround.

dubq

I was wondering about that too. Did they ever clarify if they meant on-planet bases or... space bases? I mean that would be pretty cool if we're able to build our own station and have the usual NPCs come in to trade with.

Since I have the suspension fluid formula I could keep probably 30 or more warp cells stocked at a time and only stop once every 30 jumps to refuel.

Big Nikus

I've wasted the last two days looking everywhere on this freaking planet for the last species. I've spent hours underwater, hours in caves, hours looking for birds and even more hours on land and I just can't find it. I'm at the point where I'm turning from peaceful explorer to mass murderer because I get pissed everytime I think I've found something and it's the same animals I've seen hundreds of times. At one point I saw a red dot on my scanner and it was just a variation of an already discovered species. A single tear ran down my cheek.
I keep looking for it because otherwise all these hours would be definitely wasted. And I want those 380,000 Units. What the hell am I missing ?
I won't ever look for all the species again on a planet, that's for sure.

The planet is beautiful, so there's that. But right now I want to burn it into a crisp.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ha... left my game open in a building during a radiation storm and fell asleep last night... woke up and I guess my cat must have pushed me out of the buildling, i've died multiple times and all my stuff is gone even on my previous saves, looking like this all happened within 6 minutes last night. no more atlas stones, all the callium I mined... oh well ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Warning - Incoming rant.

Found a Extreme Heat planet with decent rare/valuable resources on it, so I figured I'd farm for a day or so to get the two Extreme Survival trophies, instead of just cheesing it like I've read elsewhere. Spent the last two evenings playing the game on this one planet just finding outposts/monoliths and farming resources and it was going well. I had two Heat resistance upgrades on my suit so even when the storms rolled through it wasn't a big deal - especially since one of the resources were Titanium crystals which I could pump into those Heat shields to keep them stocked.

I hit rank 6 and was only 1.6 SOLS away from Rank 7, and figured it was almost time to call it a night. I wanted to dump my farmed resources though so that when I started playing tonight I could hit the ground running. In the process of taking off and landing at several places trying to find one that had a trade terminal - my ship glitched out on take off and sent me right into orbit.

I quickly descend and continue to look for a trade terminal. I find one, sell my junk, and leave the game running while I get ready for bed. (Again, I'm stacked on resistance. Hell, even my life support is +5 at this point so it can run in the background for over an hour without me doing anything.) I come back 15 minutes later, and check to see where I am at.

Still at 1.6 SOLS. WTF?

I stand outside, thinking maybe something had changed in the patch to make it so you still needed to be under the EXTREME effects. I browse my phone for 20 minutes, looking to find if others have reported the same issue. Still - the progress stays at 1.6 SOL left.

And then I find a comment online about the trophy clarifying an important bit - you cannot LEAVE the planet. Which I knew, but thought that was more like "You can't leave the planet and go to another one, or a space station." Instead, it's just when you go to orbit. Which I was kicked to when the game glitched out and instead of taking off, threw me up into orbit through no fault of my own.

There was nothing I could do. Two days of killing time on one planet was all for naught because the game glitched on me.

So, fuck this - I'm cheesing it. I work from home so I can just leave the game running in the background all day today and pop in every hour or so to refill my meters. What a kick in the ass. I tried to do it the right way, and was almost there and had it snatched away. The safest way to do this trophy, because the game is buggy, is to literally do nothing. Ugh.

ha... left my game open in a building during a radiation storm and fell asleep last night... woke up and I guess my cat must have pushed me out of the buildling, i've died multiple times and all my stuff is gone even on my previous saves, looking like this all happened within 6 minutes last night. no more atlas stones, all the callium I mined... oh well ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯
Do you have any recent PS+ Cloud Saves?

mokeyjoe

I agree that currently the game is designed in such a way as to encourage you to not stay attached to planets or even your main personalization items (MT and ships), and just scrap -> upgrade -> keep moving.

Adding some kind of base building feature would seem to necessitate a lot more features being added, for example:

- a far easier way to negotiate the galactic map in order to keep track of and return to your planet with your base(s)

- Some sort of gameplay functionality for bases beyond vanity; allow for landings or visits by NPCs? Visiting merchants offering exotic MTs each day? The ability to customize it with various things you find in other shelters like a Galactic Market terminal? Storage "tanks" (like the ones that hold platinum) for hoarding mats/trade items, etc..

etc...

Obviously they are working on implementing base building, I just think it'll be a more substantial update than "press x to place shelter" when it arrives. I feel it kind of has to at this point.

I can see base building being practical if it's some sort of stockpile you can send your stuff back to like you do with your ship, but with a much bigger inventory. Be good if you could sell stuff straight from you base too.

I imagine freighters might work the same way too.

David___

Banned
I can see base building being practical if it's some sort of stockpile you can send your stuff back to like you do with your ship, but with a much bigger inventory. Be good if you could sell stuff straight from you base too.

I imagine freighters might work the same way too.
Wouldn't be surprised if bases start out small and you'll need to upgrade for them to become practical for storage(if that is its main function)

Nameless

Idk, I like the idea of having a "home planet" that I can always come back to for resources, base stuff, or just to enjoy the scenery. Obviously this would involve some sort of mechanic to allow coming and going without resetting your progress everytime. Maybe this is where the portal stuff will come into play.

mokeyjoe

Idk, I like the idea of having a "home planet" that I can always come back to for resources, base stuff, or just to enjoy the scenery. Obviously this would involve some sort of mechanic to allow you to come and go without basically resetting your progress everytime. Maybe this is where the portal stuff will come into play.

Does every planet have a portal, and it's just a matter of finding it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you have any recent PS+ Cloud Saves?
I dunno. Would I if I hadn't taken any action to make them?

might just continue on this planet for the extreme milestone and rebuild to where I was. Still have plenty of fuel and units since I hadn't bought my new ship yet. Need Zinc pretty bad though, lol.

Although the lack of physics driven solar systems does kind of suck, it would have meant we would never get vistas like the one in this and so many other screens that give the game that SciFi feel.

If we had to trade(and we did) I would chose the same as Sean and his team did. Physics based everything is obviously technically impressive, but after how many planets would that matter? When after being on a ton of worlds, we are constantly blown away by the vistas and night skies of the current system.

But it gets a little tiresome, doesn't it? I mean, every system consist in a pack of impossibly close planets, something we all know would not happen in real life.

And about the vistas. Well, we could still get something SciFi like this in massive giants with moon systems orbiting close by. In fact, I'd appreciate the landscapes more if they were rare, hard to find, and assocciated with trully unique planets, and not a commom place as they unfortunatelly are.

E92 M3

Here is a fun tidbit: The game doesn't display mass of fauna, but weight. So, if you ever wondered why a bunny weighs 73 kg, it's because weight is calculated via gravity. Unfortunately NMS doesn't utilize gravity. Would have been better to use "mass" instead of "weight."

I've wasted the last two days looking everywhere on this freaking planet for the last species. I've spent hours underwater, hours in caves, hours looking for birds and even more hours on land and I just can't find it. I'm at the point where I'm turning from peaceful explorer to mass murderer because I get pissed everytime I think I've found something and it's the same animals I've seen hundreds of times. At one point I saw a red dot on my scanner and it was just a variation of an already discovered species. A single tear ran down my cheek.
I keep looking for it because otherwise all these hours would be definitely wasted. And I want those 380,000 Units. What the hell am I missing ?
I won't ever look for all the species again on a planet, that's for sure.

The planet is beautiful, so there's that. But right now I want to burn it into a crisp.

In the "checklist" in the menu, where is the undiscovered animal in the list? What animals are above and below it in the list?

I still havent had a chance to check this, but I believe that list is in a specific order, land, air and sea. So if in the list, the undiscovered animal has a sea animal above and below it, you're most likely missing a sea animal. Same for land and air.

May help you narrow it down.

Top Bottom