• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I've begun to sour quite significantly on the game. I can't play more than five minutes now without crashes. I even uninstalled all the mods in case they were responsible for the issues. Nothing.

A game that doesn't crash very much until you've played 18 hours of it is a great way to skirt the refund window, so that's lovely.

Sure, this game was never meant to be Kerbal Space Program, but I expected (and was led to expect) star systems that look like a star system, with planets orbiting the star, and moons orbiting their planets, and planets distributed in some semi-realistic fashion. In other words, to borrow a mantra from DICE, the star systems should have the authenticity of space, if not the realism. Your average Joe and Jane knows what our solar system looks like and expects to see that rendered and mechanically moving in some convincing fashion. I agree that communication was an issue, but that doesn't really resolve the problem with the star systems as they currently exist. I know that you may not care about them, but plenty of us do. I hope that Hello will eventually take another pass at this, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree with some stuff such as the moons should orbit the parent planet, that makes sense and would be visually appealing.
The planets should also orbit each other.

I couldn't care less about them actually orbiting a star. It just means when they were in opposition it would make them appear as dots in the sky (unless the stars were only a ludicrously short distance from the planets) and increase travelling time.
I don't see how that fits with NMS.

I would much rather HG focus on things that improve content such as alien interactions, ship encounters, space battles, bases in asteroids, ringed planets, varied weather conditions maybe even some fairly rare stuff that is harder to find.
They have a small team and I think that stuff would benefit gameplay more should be a priority rather than adding planets orbiting a star.

Danlord

Quick question, has anyone encountered any of these monoliths?
725600.jpg

It was shown in the IGN First video and is even on the inside of the Limited Edition case and inside the art book but I don't think I've seen any evidence they're in?

I've begun to sour quite significantly on the game. I can't play more than five minutes now without crashes. I even uninstalled all the mods in case they were responsible for the issues. Nothing.

A game that doesn't crash very much until you've played 18 hours of it is a great way to skirt the refund window, so that's lovely.

Can you revert to older patches?

mandiller

Without spoiling it.....is it worth getting to the centre of the galaxy? I've got my 48 slot ship, exosuit and upgraded multitool now and I'm just barrelling towards the centre with 1500 lightyear jumps. It's still going to take me a bloody long time though.

Unicorn

Been taking my time on every planet so I can give each a fitting name. Each planet in the 2 systems I've been at so far have been drastically unique and provided things of wonder.

I'm on a planet now covered in toxic moss and endless deep oceans. But, it also has mountains. Like actual mountains that pierce the clouds. No one had seen such big mountains when I asked, but my 6th planet has actual mountains to where I can see curvature of the planet. I'm just chilling in the toxic rain on a spire jutting from the mountain peak.

mokeyjoe

Ok, so I just found a "Grave" with lots of materials.

Now I know that graves are to recover lost inventory when we die but...I havent died once on this planet!

Bug? Or...hidden...MP...features??

I don't think it's hidden. Pretty sure you can find other player's graves.

Alebrije

I would be great that while you are wandering on a planet looking for animals or other stuff you encounter NPCs also exploring , help them from problems or difficult situations and get rewards from them ...

mokeyjoe

I would be great that while you are wandering on a planet looking for animals or other stuff you encounter NPCs also exploring , help them from problems or difficult situations and get rewards from them ...

I wouldn't want full on traditional multiplayer, but something like Journey would be perfect.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finally got the Atlas Pass v2, although it's not particularly good for much.

Also found another planet with AquaSpheres, so now that I have my 24 slot multi-tool I could invest in the homing bolt upgrade.

I couldn't care less about them actually orbiting a star. It just means when they were in opposition it would make them appear as dots in the sky (unless the stars were only a ludicrously short distance from the planets) and increase travelling time.
I don't see how that fits with NMS.

I would much rather HG focus on things that improve content such as alien interactions, ship encounters, space battles, bases in asteroids, ringed planets, varied weather conditions maybe even some fairly rare stuff that is harder to find.
They have a small team and I think that stuff would benefit gameplay more should be a priority rather than adding planets orbiting a star.

Not necessarily; the star systems wouldn't have to have realistic distances at all. Just a scaled-down solar system the same way as moons are closer to planets than they really would be. That being said, I wouldn't mind if some planets were only a few pixels in the sky or looked like small moons.

I would like Hello to focus on many of the things you listed as well (how can ringed planets and volcanoes and binary stars not be in a sci-fi book cover simulator) and more, but speaking personally, since the narrative and character interaction of this game is wafer-thin, for me it's important that the gameworld is something I can immerse myself in. And so when I go into space, having a star system that looks familiar and "true" to me is important for maintaining my internal fiction.

On a related note, one of the few failings of their impressive proc gen system is that most creatures don't really look like they belong in that planet's environment. Of course we can handwave away that with sci-fi excuses like those giant spiders over there having cold-resistant blood, but part of presenting a sci-fi universe is just getting the believability right, which generally amounts to matching our experiences based on Earth creatures. Murray was influenced by Star Wars, and when you look at Tatooine, all those aliens and creatures look like they evolved and live on that desert planet. Hoth had suitably furry creatures. I'd really like to see Hello try to improve on their system to make the creatures on planets look like they fit.

I'm on a planet now covered in toxic moss and endless deep oceans. But, it also has mountains. Like actual mountains that pierce the clouds. No one had seen such big mountains when I asked, but my 6th planet has actual mountains to where I can see curvature of the planet. I'm just chilling in the toxic rain on a spire jutting from the mountain peak.

Awesome! Can you share a picture of those mountains?

No idea. Just thought it was part of the game. Might have heard it somewhere ages ago.

Well, but the planet was just discovered by me.

Would be amazing if someone just got there, died before naming the planet, then minutes later I just get there and name it before finding their grave.

Sigh...

Quick question, has anyone encountered any of these monoliths?

It was shown in the IGN First video and is even on the inside of the Limited Edition case and inside the art book but I don't think I've seen any evidence they're in?

I think those got changed, or dropped for the Monoliths we have now in-game. If you recall in some of the previews they actually time-shifted the player when they went to sleep in front of it (from night to day, or viceversa), but that whole interaction was replaced with text.

If I had to guess, it seems they had bigger plans for those that they had to simplify in favor of getting the game out the door. Maybe making the smooth Monoliths in different shapes was easier than making a bunch of what appear to be much more elaborately modeled structures.

Danlord

I think those got changed, or dropped for the Monoliths we have now in-game. If you recall in some of the previews they actually time-shifted the player when they went to sleep in front of it (from night to day, or viceversa), but that whole interaction was replaced with text.

If I had to guess, it seems they had bigger plans for those that they had to simplify in favor of getting the game out the door. Maybe making the smooth Monoliths in different shapes was easier than making a bunch of what appear to be much more elaborately modeled structures.

Yeah I've been watching some older footage and just wanted to know if they were perhaps in the game just not a common monolith and instead a rare one. I don't like the knowledge stones we have now, they just seem so basic and common it's not that special anymore.

Not necessarily; the star systems wouldn't have to have realistic distances at all. Just a scaled-down solar system the same way as moons are closer to planets than they really would be. That being said, I wouldn't mind if some planets were only a few pixels in the sky or looked like small moons.

I would like Hello to focus on many of the things you listed as well (how can ringed planets and volcanoes and binary stars not be in a sci-fi book cover simulator) and more, but speaking personally, since the narrative and character interaction of this game is wafer-thin, for me it's important that the gameworld is something I can immerse myself in. And so when I go into space, having a star system that looks familiar and "true" to me is important for maintaining my internal fiction.

On a related note, one of the few failings of their impressive proc gen system is that most creatures don't really look like they belong in that planet's environment. Of course we can handwave away that with sci-fi excuses like those giant spiders over there having cold-resistant blood, but part of presenting a sci-fi universe is just getting the believability right, which generally amounts to matching our experiences based on Earth creatures. Murray was influenced by Star Wars, and when you look at Tatooine, all those aliens and creatures look like they evolved and live on that desert planet. Hoth had suitably furry creatures. I'd really like to see Hello try to improve on their system to make the creatures on planets look like they fit.

Awesome! Can you share a picture of those mountains?

Lol. Again I can't disagree with any of that except for the solar system simulator bit.

I especially think having animal generation taking into account the planetary biome more would be a big help.

I saw a 5 metre tall Hell Bull on an extreme radiation planet once with a burning red sky. It was terrifying and looked suitable.

It wouldn't hurt if frozen planets looked more frequently predisposed to wooly creatures etc. It would make the more extreme animals seem more unusual too.

It should be no holds barred on the irradiated, toxic and acid planets though.

I haven't seen any gigantic mountains yet. I have seen some decent canyons that would have been good to fly a spaceship down if not for the 'no contact' policy preventing me from getting low enough.
I did find one world that appeared to be entirely covered in an ocean about 2 feet deep with small islands scattered all around it. Hardly any life or plants though.

molnizzle

Dear Hello Games,

If I put in enough time wondering around one of your planets, I should discover all of the species that dwell there automatically.

Signed,
Every human with an ounce of common sense

Without spoiling it.....is it worth getting to the centre of the galaxy? I've got my 48 slot ship, exosuit and upgraded multitool now and I'm just barrelling towards the centre with 1500 lightyear jumps. It's still going to take me a bloody long time though.
No spoilers; only putting this in spoiler tags because some might consider the answer to this question itself a spoiler and I want to be safe about that and considerate. In any case:
No. Without spoiling what actually happens when you get there or what's at the center, no, its not really worth it at all, especially with all the effort it takes to get there.

I just noticed that even if a shelter/building doesn't have a dedicated landing pad, there is still a spot you can land that wont make you use Fuel. It looks like scorched earth on the ground. You can tell if you get close to the ground and you see the little white arrows show up.

delume

Loved my time in NMS and feel it has come to a natural conclusion. I shot pirates and explored many a new planet. I have upgraded my tools of adventure and felt the joyous solitude of true exploration. I'm now happy to have it sit on my PS4 for the next content update (whatever form that takes.) From a cultural viewpoint, this game has been insanely polarising. My only hope is Hello Games survives the rollercoaster ride, aren't brought low by haters and keep on dreaming.

mokeyjoe

Found some Vortex cubes on a moon stored in little monolith shaped boxes.

The sentinels didn't mind me taking them, unfortunately they weren't anywhere near as abundant as the regular kind.

melkier33

So you can get stacks of Carrie sheets and neutrino modules, and probably other things. If you break down ship items and weapon mods that return more then one of those items it gives it to you in a stack with a max of 100. I over looked this for a long time. Just mentioning it Incase anyone wants to stock pile items that usually take up obe slot.

Pit

No spoilers; only putting this in spoiler tags because some might consider the answer to this question itself a spoiler and I want to be safe about that and considerate. In any case:
No. Without spoiling what actually happens when you get there or what's at the center, no, its not really worth it at all, especially with all the effort it takes to get there.

Except we all should know by now that the end isnt what makes this game good, its the path getting there. Dont define this game by its end goals.

Syder

What if the real reward isn't in the centre, it's on the edge? Anyone tried breaking out of the bubble of the universe?

Aselith

What if the real reward isn't in the centre, it's on the edge? Anyone tried breaking out of the bubble of the universe?

If you get to the edge, the universe is just surrounded by dead baby jokes and all the text Hitler was right-type messages and everyone wearing skulls and black leather jackets.

It seems that i only crash when i'm connected to the online services for a certain period of time and visiting the discovery page... very weird

There must be something off with my PS4 because I've been playing roughly two hours per day since the game's been out and I haven't had it crash on me once :/

Lol. Again I can't disagree with any of that except for the solar system simulator bit.

I especially think having animal generation taking into account the planetary biome more would be a big help.

I saw a 5 metre tall Hell Bull on an extreme radiation planet once with a burning red sky. It was terrifying and looked suitable.

It wouldn't hurt if frozen planets looked more frequently predisposed to wooly creatures etc. It would make the more extreme animals seem more unusual too.

It should be no holds barred on the irradiated, toxic and acid planets though.

I haven't seen any gigantic mountains yet. I have seen some decent canyons that would have been good to fly a spaceship down if not for the 'no contact' policy preventing me from getting low enough.
I did find one world that appeared to be entirely covered in an ocean about 2 feet deep with small islands scattered all around it. Hardly any life or plants though.

So do you apply common sense to everything but the actual solar system simulation in a space exploration game?

Like others said, It doesn't need to be hardcore scientific simulated in order to be believable and specially closer to what Murray has been bragging about.

I just trred pulse driving to a planet, and my ship smacked right into a space station. Like, my ship went through the wall and was stuck inside of it. Had to reload lol

BizzyBum

Yoo, I just saw a ship that had an R2-D2 on its right wing. Definitely grinding that until I come across a 48 slot version. lol

mokeyjoe

It seems that i only crash when i'm connected to the online services for a certain period of time and visiting the discovery page... very weird

I had that happen. I do think the crashes are related to the online status. Like when it's trying to connect or upload.

Baalzebup

Dear Hello Games,

If I put in enough time wondering around one of your planets, I should discover all of the species that dwell there automatically.

Signed,
Every human with an ounce of common sense

A silly notion, lacking the very common sense you speak of. You don't deserve a prize for achieving something if you... you know, don't actually achieve that something.

Top Bottom