• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

RedSwirl

So I just warped to my first red star system. First planet I land on is...

nms_2016_08_19_23_06_dkoo4.png

nms_2016_08_19_23_04_efrq9.png

nms_2016_08_19_23_04_onut7.png

...yeah.

Anyway, ever since getting an Atlas Pass V1 I've pretty much just been tripping all over warp cores of the materials to build warp cores. At this point I'm just going to dart towards the center while opening up those debri canisters and building the materials for warp cores when I need them. I'll probably scan whatever animals come in my way but I'm not gonna go out of my way to clear planets. That's pretty much what getting to the center has boiled down to now. I guess I'll also stop for crashed ships in case they have the blueprints for hyperdrive upgrades. I didn't take the Atlas path.

Um...why? That's not how it works in real life.

And animals don't spawn in a single biome planet in set patterns in real life either.

I don't think it should be automatic, but I DO think there needs to be better tools to track down undiscovered species. As it stands, you basically have to scour land, cave, air and water both day and night in multiple locations to find everything. Because creature spawns are procedurally placed, we have no way of deducing where a given creature may spawn other than checking all the usual suspect areas I listed earlier. And do it over and over until you happen to stumble on the lucky spawn at the right time. Not an ideal system, but it wouldn't be so bad if we had better tools.

Does the dupe trick still work post-patch? Thinking of duping my stack of 100 Vortex cubes. Legit farming is gonna take too long to get the 40 million or so I want for a 45+ slot ship.

mokeyjoe

nms_2016_08_19_23_06_dkoo4.png

nms_2016_08_19_23_04_efrq9.png

nms_2016_08_19_23_04_onut7.png

...yeah.

Anyway, ever since getting an Atlas Pass V1 I've pretty much just been tripping all over warp cores of the materials to build warp cores. At this point I'm just going to dart towards the center while opening up those debri canisters and building the materials for warp cores when I need them. I'll probably scan whatever animals come in my way but I'm not gonna go out of my way to clear planets. That's pretty much what getting to the center has boiled down to now. I guess I'll also stop for crashed ships in case they have the blueprints for hyperdrive upgrades. I didn't take the Atlas path.

Honestly, barrelling to the centre is the worst way to play the game. Warp, land, launch, repeat.

If that's the point you're at you're better off putting the game down until you feel like rambling around on a planet for a bit or when new content comes.

Hothdor was a snowy forest moon I was exploring last night in the Minterioso system. Evocative and dangerous. After investigating a Vy'keen monolith, I picked up one of the few gravitino balls dotting the landscape and the Sentinels came in full force. I had dispatched the Sentinel dog and one of the drones when more of them started cresting the ridge. Meanwhile, a storm rolled in. Not wanting to take extra chances, I ducked into a cave network filled with some friendly mushrooms and a slothlike creature. I thought I was safe, but suddenly the ground was shaking above me. There was a three-star rating on my head and a bipedal mech stomping around above it. The only thing I could do was to travel deeper into the depths. I must have been over a mile inside the caverns when the Sentinels finally gave up. Making my way back and jetpacking 50 feet out of the cave's entrance, I realized they had set up patrols nearby. I made a dash for my ship and gunned the engine. I engaged the pulse boost and streaked over the forests, watching its mother planet Blusterian rise in the distance.

p.s. prior to the patch, if I blew up a Sentinel in time, the alarm would deactivate. Last night they just came coming. I don't know if this is because it was an Aggressive Sentinel planet or the patch changed their behavior, but there was zero chill.

51IUxvg.jpg

uE1iHPN.jpg

That planet needs a Smiths song as its soundtrack when you land.

Has anyone had any issues with using the PS4's rest mode with this game?
Yes , plenty of people had problems ( not here but on various foroms and media ).

DOn't use rest mode with this game unless you want crashes and/or lose your saves.
Or being unable to send discoveries ..

The list's huge

I'm an idiot and its late. Someone help please.

In a workshop and these are the hints and possible answers:

Hints: toxic / Spiyskovods / Madygeys

Possible answers: Exosuit, Shield, or Gas

I friggen suck at these puzzles.

edit: toxic is highlighted in orange.

Yes , plenty of people had problems ( not here but on various foroms and media ).

DOn't use rest mode with this game unless you want crashes and/or lose your saves.

The list's huge

Yeah, thought as much. Thanks for that. I'll abstain from using it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm an idiot and its late. Someone help please.

In a workshop and these are the hints and possible answers:

Hints: toxic / Spiyskovods / Madygeys

Possible answers: Exosuit, Shield, or Gas

I friggen suck at these puzzles.

edit: toxic is highlighted in orange.
Well, the game doesn't really expect you to get that right. You just haven't learned enough words.

BizzyBum

Yoo, I just saw a ship that had an R2-D2 on its right wing. Definitely grinding that until I come across a 48 slot version. lol

YES! I found it. I searched about 20 crashed ship beacons and I found the exact ship I saw in the space station, same configuration and all, on my very LAST beacon. And it was a 48 slotter!

Got my little astromech buddy on the right side. Now I just need a mod that makes them sound like R2-D2.

Left hand side has this crazy arched wing. It's tough to see but at the bottom of the arch there's a sort of laser or mini-rocket attachment which is a cool touch.

My favorite part is the cockpit. Easily the best one in the game since there is practically nothing obstructing your view. Look how much you can view when looking around.

Tomorrow I just need to set up all the blueprints in an orderly fashion for once and getting the rest of my milestones done. Then it's off to the center!

Sarcasm

I thought the "bug" with being launched into space/orbit was when your ship was on an interactable resource/mine-able resource.

Yet it happens all the time now..on dirt. Can't mine anything underneath it, scanner picks up nothing. Even happened to me on a launchpad.

IvanJ

Banned

...yeah.

That was my plan as well. So for the last couple of days that's what I've been doing: warp, land, claim planet, pick up a couple of canisters, leave...

So far I've advanced about 10K light years, so.... Only 168K to go...

My advice, don't do it. It is such a soul crushing loop, I have become so bored already. I don't even bother to scan animals any more. There is nothing for me to do, but go through tbe same 2-minute drill each warp ahead.
Last night, it has become obvious that I will reach the center of the galaxy only by sacrificing my mental health, there are about 400 warps ahead, all looking the same.

It's not worth it, especially since I could be playing some other game and enjoying myself in the meantime.

AGoodODST

So I've been hanging around a Gek system and catching up with monoliths. There is quite a few mention of the Outer Edge.

I wonder if the galaxy actually has an outer edge that you can get to? Like, the galactic map just ends.

As someone who spends way too much time waiting in space stations for ships to land (so I can either trade with them or find a ship to buy), I really think they need to pipe in some jaunty elevator music. The sweeping Blade Runner-esque synth pads really do a good job of trying to put me to sleep, along with the constant sound of ship engines coming and going. I need some kind of theme music guys. Please.

On a related note, it bugs me more than it should that long ships clip through the station floor as they land. Give them a different landing animation or something, it looks bad. :/

TyrantII

Found a red grass planet with some elevation and deep, sand dry canyons running through the lower plains. Exploring, found low elevations where snaking rivers are still running before they too will be nothing but sand. Enough tonight. Creature hunting in the rivers tomorrow.

KctEISW.jpg

Xeo6KLp.jpg

Elessar

Neo Member

The list's huge

Whoa really? I've been using it from day 1 and I've not gotten any of those. That said, thanks for the heads up. Will Google about that...

Yeah I use Rest Mode too and I have never had a problem. I mean I've had some crashes here and there but they've been like the "try to get a blueprint from the Multitool locker" crashes, otherwise Rest Mode hasn't been a problem at all.

Maybe to be safe I'll quit out of the game all the way before going into Rest Mode from now on though...

I use rest mode with NMS all the time as well and never had a problem. Every few days I'll close it and restart just to be safe though. Then again, I've only had three crashes total. Never had the liftoff-to-space bug either. It's strange how some people seem to get a lot more. I still wonder if there's a heat issue involved with the PS4 CPU...

So I discovered my first planet with vortex cubes. In fact they seem to be all over the place here. Sentinels are listed as Low Security, but that doesn't seem to stop them from 3-starring me as soon as I pick one up.

I think the weather system needs a bit of work. This is the second planet where I've seen a cold and a heat storm at the same time. This planet is also listed as Baked, yet most of the areas I've explored seem to be under 0C.

BizzyBum

So I've been hanging around a Gek system and catching up with monoliths. There is quite a few mention of the Outer Edge.

I wonder if the galaxy actually has an outer edge that you can get to? Like, the galactic map just ends.

Well, considering it's not one concurrent galaxy but rather "zones", probably not unfortunately.

But speaking of lore, the Atlas Path (major spoilers)
has you birthing a new star at the edge of the galaxy with your 10 Atlas Stones for a new explorer to start his journey. I wonder if this actually happens. Is the playerbase creating new solar systems and expanding the galaxy every time someone finishes the Atlas Path?

Also, the Korvax conclude and the Atlas Path confirms the NMS universe is a simulation. At first I was wondering who created the universe and then I was like "I'm a moron, HG did." Not sure how the Korvax figured this out (math and stuff) but HG made them self aware they are not real but rather a computer program.

Makes me wonder if our own universe is a simulation. Are we just a video game or experiment to some higher being? The simulated universe theory is becoming more and more popular as we delve into quantum physics and see just how mind blowing it is. Hell, we could be a simulation within 10 other simulations. Scary stuff.

And yes, I am playing this game way too much.

Opa-Pa

So after being reasonably excited for the game after its reveal but not having followed it at all, tonight I finally got a PS4 copy despite reading a lot of people being disappointed by the game ever since it came out. I guess I thought it wouldn't be the same with me because I wasn't all that hyped.

And after a couple of hours and visiting 4 planets, it's been pretty nice! Getting to a new planet is exciting and exploring can get very interesting depending on the planet. I just wish you could turn those objective reminders and some notifications off, they kinda ruin the feeling of loneliness and immersion. Also I had no idea there were planets without stupid radiation levels or ridiculous temperatures that made you constantly worry about your shield or whatever lol, now in my fourth planet there's finally a normal atmosphere and it's such a relief.

There was an Atlas (?) monolith in my third planet and the temperature was so low that I had to leave immediately after interacting with it... Except I was out of fuel and had to explore super fast to find some before dying, it was pretty harsh.

Now in my fourth planet it's pretty nice and kind of looks like Earth. I was having a great time admiring the surroundings of my landing spot when I spot an animal with the face of those green sheep-looking things everyone was posting on release, four legs, dinosaur tail and fins... And I couldn't contain my laughter lmao. Animals had been pretty alright until then. My first planet had some adorable little dinosaurs even.

It sounds like my experience has been bad, I know, but I've genuinely had a lot of fun; it feels like a wacky adventure. And judging by some of the posts here it sounds like I have a lot of stuff to discover and upgrades to unlock, it's pretty exciting.

JawzPause

Honestly, barrelling to the centre is the worst way to play the game. Warp, land, launch, repeat.

If that's the point you're at you're better off putting the game down until you feel like rambling around on a planet for a bit or when new content comes.
What do you mean, you explore every planet and then warp to the next star that's closer to the core and repeat?

Roussow

I did 40 warps in a row today, fuck me I feel like I barely inched towards the center. This is a bad way to play this game. Don't do it.

I'll do 60 warps tomorrow.

OuterLimits

I think the weather system needs a bit of work. This is the second planet where I've seen a cold and a heat storm at the same time. This planet is also listed as Baked, yet most of the areas I've explored seem to be under 0C.[/QUOTE]

I have had that several times. The temp goes haywire bouncing between hot and cold almost every second. I have also had the storm elements happening inside a building. Annoying.

Certainly has a ton of bugs that need to be fixed. Crashes, save bug and blueprint one need immediate attention especially. It feels like the longer I play the more unstable the game is getting.

I'm enjoying the exploration, but the game feels really unfinished for $60. Definitely seems they rushed to get it out there the last couple months since even patch 1.3 is so much different even what's on the disc. Maybe in a year or so, the updates will really make the game feel more complete. Sean and team certainly shouldn't have to worry about financial constraints now since the game sold well. So hopefully they have more flexibility and time to add some cool stuff.

I do love listening to the game with headphones. Has anyone noticed hearing animal sounds on barren planets with no fauna? You would think giant creatures are about to pounce but it's a barren lifeless rock. :)

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Reading through a lot of what you guys have to say about the path to the centre, I'm starting to wonder when/if I'll actually reach it and "end" this game.

I have no intention of grinding or duping to get the most slots as quick as I can. For me, that kind of thing very quickly becomes a chore and a bore, and then there's no point even playing the game. I just feel it's so relaxing and enjoyable to slowly explore star systems, take in all the wonderful sights, learn the languages, uncover the lore and gradually upgrade my equipment naturally as I go. And the occasional threat from space pirates serves to quicken the pulse in a good way, as I'm not really equipped for combat at all.

Different strokes for different folks, obviously, but this is my thing.

I'm only on my 5th system. Got a 20 slot ship, 24 suit and 12 multi-tool. Just last night I
received a transmission which lead me to the Atlas station. I thought landing inside and looking around was such a cool moment, awe-inspiring and mysterious.
The whole Atlas path thing has been a very pleasant surprise for me.

WhyMe6

Damn, I love this game but the crashes drive me crazy. I sunk almost 3 hours into this today, but it soft crashed three times and hard crashed once. I didn't lose much progress each time, luckily, but it's driving me insane.

Septimius

I do love listening to the game with headphones. Has anyone noticed hearing animal sounds on barren planets with no fauna? You would think giant creatures are about to pounce but it's a barren lifeless rock. :)

That's just a sound to indicate there's a cave below you

Jblanks

I did 40 warps in a row today, fuck me I feel like I barely inched towards the center. This is a bad way to play this game. Don't do it.

Yea until they do something to make it easier to get to the center if ever, I'll just casually play the game at my own pace, far more enjoyable.

What do you mean, you explore every planet and then warp to the next star that's closer to the core and repeat?
Find planets you enjoy and fully explore those. That is what the game is about, not making it to the center.

I ususally try to find Blue Class O and B solar systems with more than 3 planets + moons and within a 1,500-1,600 lightyears warp towards the general direction of the center. I'll quickly check out each planet and if nothing interests me I just move on. A lot of the time I won't even land once I know it is just a dead, barren rock.

Zomba13

So with the Gek tower ship finding glitch thing, do you search for a bunch of crash sites, then go to them one after the other or do you look for one, upgrade, go back, search, go to the next etc?

Because I hit the beacon like 5 or 6 times and the first ship was +1 slot, the second ship was +1 slot then the rest were all either the same or -1 slot. Did I just get super unlucky?

Matt Frost

Yeah I am doing that and is not fun at all, all day warping and exploring a bit here and there, did 50 warps and black holes and went from 159,000 to 149,000. it will take weeks playing all day to arrive to the center. Right now, not in the mood. Need a break. Titanfall 2 and Siege will do

mike6467

Yeah I am doing that and is not fun at all, all day warping and exploring a bit here and there, did 50 warps and black holes and went from 159,000 to 149,000. it will take weeks playing all day to arrive to the center. Right now, not in the mood. Need a break. Titanfall 2 and Siege will do

Ugh. Just Ugh.

Bashtee

I was walking around for a couple of hours on a planet, learning a new language. Besides that, I also found out that the dead traveler's stories repeat themselves after ~10, maybe 15 terminals? Well, whatever.

I discovered my missing 2 species and then the game crashed. Just lost 15 minutes, so who cares right? Right... Took me another 3 hours to find the remaining species. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say they looked different. Anyone who had a similar experience?

mulac

So after finishing the Atlas Path (I am 5 stones in and just warping to each Anomaly to finish it without really exploring). Can i continue to the centre of the galaxy and go for the Platinum? Or is it a new game completely??

IvanJ

Banned
So after finishing the Atlas Path (I am 5 stones in and just warping to each Anomaly to finish it without really exploring). Can i continue to the centre of the galaxy and go for the Platinum? Or is it a new game completely??
You just continue, Atlas Path is only a small bite out of the galaxy

Ferr986

I agree. But the problem is that if you don't do that you'll never reach the center, if you're interested in doing so.

Yep, I think the galaxy is too big lol Maybe the size pre-patch was better....

Venfayth

I just realized that if you reload the current save it wipes out all the building markers on the planet. It doesn't seem like that happens if you quit the game and then load the save, though.

EVO

So I've made it to the end of the Atlas path and I'm four stones short. I've got no money and stones cost a fortune. I've tried the duplication glitch but it looks like they fixed it.

How screwed am I?

Ferr986

So I've made it to the end of the Atlas path and I'm four stones short. I've got no money and stones cost a fortune. I've tried the duplication glitch but it looks like they fixed it.

How screwed am I?

You can't clear it then but don't worry, you don't miss much.

Top Bottom