• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

NeoRausch

All decked out now! Still working on the upgrades, but I ran out of materials.
Swapped between 5 different ships till I finally found a fighter jet with 48 slots.

qssmx.jpg

Man I hope that with base building comes a hangar! I want more then one ship.

Hoodbury

not having any joy with the antimatter, ship already had hyperdrive so no juice came with it...no aliens are selling it and scanning from space hasn't helped :(

Do you have any quest markers the game is trying to get you to go to?

Have you tried other planets in your current system?

Another idea might be to craft one of those bypass chips and use one on those red beams and choose the transmission option.

You get your first antimatter from an alien as part of a quest, not from buying. In the lower right of your screen is it telling you to go find something or go somewhere? It might take a couple steps, like visit this shelter, then this manufacture plant, then this whatever. But you have to follow that quest path that shows up in your lower right corner.

It might not pop up until you go to a different planet too.

Staf

Played about 5-6 hours but this game is not for me. The gameplay loop simply isn't interesting enough for me. Time to make room for Deus ex. Still, don't regret spending the $60 since the initial awe was super awesome. Love flying through planets atmosphere.

GeeTeeCee

I finally got a new ship!

Admittedly it only has one extra inventory slot available when you take into account all the additional upgrades pre-built in, but on the plus side it looks like the lovechild of an X-Wing and a Viper from BSG. The starter ship looked like something you'd come up with after five minutes in Kingdom Heart's Gummi Ship menu.

Found my first Atlas station. Still haven't found a local system that hasn't already been discovered by another player first.

Ambitious

I'm finally close to a green and blue system, respectively, but I first need to upgrade my warp drive in order to visit either. But I can't find the required resources (Nickel, Emeril) in my current system. Damn. Guess I'll have to jump around for a while.

Hahs

Are you stuck like me? I just keep hoping to find someone selling it but so far no luck. I really don't want to restart but I guess I may have to eventually if I can't resolve this issue.
you don't have to restart - just go to the space station and farm the traders - it's hit or miss but that's how I left my system after screwing up and ditching my ride for one without a hyper-drive.

I literally searched every trader until I found one carrying 3 antimatter cores - sold!

EVO

So I've made it to the end of the Atlas path and I'm four stones short. I've got no money and stones cost a fortune. I've tried the duplication glitch but it looks like they fixed it.

How screwed am I?

Ok, so now I've got enough money to buy the stones. The first planet I discovered after making that post happened to be full of Vortex Cubes, with no Sentinels and perfect weather. Now it's just a matter of buying the stones. Is there a reliable way to get them? Or do I just have to wait at a space station until somebody has one up for trade?

goonergaz

Do you have any quest markers the game is trying to get you to go to?

Have you tried other planets in your current system?

Another idea might be to craft one of those bypass chips and use one on those red beams and choose the transmission option.

You get your first antimatter from an alien as part of a quest, not from buying. In the lower right of your screen is it telling you to go find something or go somewhere? It might take a couple steps, like visit this shelter, then this manufacture plant, then this whatever. But you have to follow that quest path that shows up in your lower right corner.

It might not pop up until you go to a different planet too.

Not sure what a quest marker is and certainly not seen anything like having to do more than one thing - everything seems to be a one-thing mission/question?

I have tried all the planets in my system and their moons (from what I can tell - how can I tell!?) and the space station.

I also tried the bypass chip thing - countless times, I'm stuck in a loop at the moment, farm planet a until I'm fully loaded - go to space station, sell, try to get antimatter off trader - fail so set off for next planet - rinse and repeat :(

Spoo

Heh, game still crashes during travel screens I see.

Starting to feel like I won't return to this game after all. There's just too much pushing back on me. At least I have the platinum.

Acorn

Ok, so now I've got enough money to buy the stones. The first planet I discovered after making that post happened to be full of Vortex Cubes, with no Sentinels and perfect weather. Now it's just a matter of buying the stones. Is there a reliable way to get them? Or do I just have to wait at a space station until somebody has one up for trade?
What? you just follow the course to next interface system waypoint. You get the stones from the interface.

Or are you trying to avoid that?

Acorn

Heh, game still crashes during travel screens I see.

Starting to feel like I won't return to this game after all. There's just too much pushing back on me. At least I have the platinum.
How did you manage the zoologist stuff?

Not sure what a quest marker is and certainly not seen anything like having to do more than one thing - everything seems to be a one-thing mission/question?

I have tried all the planets in my system and their moons (from what I can tell - how can I tell!?) and the space station.

I also tried the bypass chip thing - countless times, I'm stuck in a loop at the moment, farm planet a until I'm fully loaded - go to space station, sell, try to get antimatter off trader - fail so set off for next planet - rinse and repeat :(

The other option is to find manufacturering plants via the beacons. Warping was an ass until I got all the recipes to make everything for a warp cell from just elements. Now I just have to routinely stock up on zinc and I'm pretty much good to go.

Spoo

How did you manage the zoologist stuff?

I landed on a lot of planets that had no creatures on them. If that's the case, the game will say you can upload the 100% surveyed planet because, by definition, you have surveyed it.

I only scanned the entirety of one planet's species. The other 9 times I checked to see if the planet I was on was empty and if so upped that data, then moved on.

Hoodbury

Hmm.

The quest markers aren't a unique thing, they are just a ruin, shelter, monolith, or whatever you are suppose to go to for the quest. Do you have anything in your lower right corner of your screen telling you to go to one of those?

You shouldn't have to go up to the space station to sell all your loot, there are places on the planets that have trader terminals you can sell at. Are you going to as many ? locations on the planets as you can? You need to visit them and meet with the aliens. Are you doing the little terminal mini game things inside them? I wish I remembered better but maybe one of those gave you something for your quest to get your hyperdrive up and running too.

Biff

Got back from vacation. Installed patch and beta firmware. Game still looks like a broken mess on both of my Ps4s.

SLnQdZo.jpg

I've emailed Hello games support and posted in several forums with no responses anywhere. Found some others via YouTube with the same issue. Problem is exactly like the one with uncharted 4 before it was fixed via patch.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-4-A-Thief-s-End/Strange-texture-bug/td-p/45758466

As soon as I get close enough to the object, it fixed itself. It's annoying and ruins my screenshots but hasn't "broken" the game for me.

Same object above but a few feet closer.

wZX5pFJ.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=LL1d9MR5i_hE3s_Yz2luL1Ig&v=9UWr6Jz_38A

Are your PS4s both stored in a closed cabinet? Small, hot space with poor airflow?

This looks like an overheating/dying video card to be honest.

The fact that both of your PS4s have this issue suggest to me it has to do with your environment! Just my guess though.

goonergaz

Hmm.

The quest markers aren't a unique thing, they are just a ruin, shelter, monolith, or whatever you are suppose to go to for the quest. Do you have anything in your lower right corner of your screen telling you to go to one of those?

You shouldn't have to go up to the space station to sell all your loot, there are places on the planets that have trader terminals you can sell at. Are you going to as many ? locations on the planets as you can? You need to visit them and meet with the aliens. Are you doing the little terminal mini game things inside them? I wish I remembered better but maybe one of those gave you something for your quest to get your hyperdrive up and running too.

cheers, will try some more later or tomorrow - I don't want to lose my patience with this game. the moons don't seem to have trade points which is why I head to the space station (also because there's lots of travellers come and go so a good chance to get the antimatter!).

I got to the end of the Altus path today and
traded in my 10 stones for a bit of text and a black hole?? Is that seriously it??
What the fuck, Blizzard?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Started my journey towards the core..I only stop for resource mining.. used some black holes but I am barely 230.000 lightyears closer... this will take some time.

noomi

Grinded out Gek transmission towers to get a 48 slot ship and landed on this beautiful thang. I only wish that the placement of unmovable tech was a bit better as it makes it difficult for me to pair tech together.

Also lucked out and found a non hostile planet with caves filled with Vortex Cubes everywhere. About 500K every 10 minutes....

I haven't even started the atlas path yet :eek:

th4tguy

Are your PS4s both stored in a closed cabinet? Small, hot space with poor airflow?

This looks like an overheating/dying video card to be honest.

The fact that both of your PS4s have this issue suggest to me it has to do with your environment! Just my guess though.
Nah, both are in open space and this is the only game that has this issue out of the 90+ games I have.
Dying system was my first thought too but it's the only game that currently does this.
The fact that others are seeing this (although a very small group) gives me hope that this is something that could be patched like with uncharted 4.

Venom Fox

Banned
Nah, both are in open space and this is the only game that has this issue out of the 90+ games I have.
Dying system was my first thought too but it's the only game that currently does this.
The fact that others are seeing this (although a very small group) gives me hope that this is something that could be patched like with uncharted 4.
I wonder what's going on here. This is usually a dying GPU/APU. This is the problem some were having when the PS4 released in 2013 and it was confirmed to be GPU issues.

Maybe the people experiencing this have heatsink/thermal paste problems and it's only appearing in this game? Some games push the system more than others.

EDIT: But yeah both your PS4's experiencing this is very strange.

SnowDrops

Yes. So unless Blackholes can take you even further away, which means that is a gamble may not even worth using.

You get about 800 to 1500LY closer to the center using Black Holes, but you warp across the galaxy like crazy, you may end up on the completly other side, hence the "distance traveled" being so high.

Venom Fox

Banned
You get about 800 to 1500LY closer to the center using Black Holes, but you warp across the galaxy like crazy, you may end up on the completly other side, hence the "distance traveled" being so high.
You can also warp very close to the centre. Others have reported that it's random as fuck and can you can travel ANYWHERE.

th4tguy

I wonder what's going on here. This is usually a dying GPU/APU. This is the problem some were having when the PS4 released in 2013 and it was confirmed to be GPU issues.

Maybe the people experiencing this have heatsink/thermal paste problems and it's only appearing in this game? Some games push the system more than others.
System isn't going any harder than usual. I redid the thermal on one of my systems to quiet it down but the other I haven't touched. Both are launch systems.
Neither are hot to the touch.

BizzyBum

I landed on a lot of planets that had no creatures on them. If that's the case, the game will say you can upload the 100% surveyed planet because, by definition, you have surveyed it.

I only scanned the entirety of one planet's species. The other 9 times I checked to see if the planet I was on was empty and if so upped that data, then moved on.

How did you upload a planet with no creatures? There's no option to upload anything when I'm on such planets.

Orcastar

Grinded out Gek transmission towers to get a 48 slot ship and landed on this beautiful thang. I only wish that the placement of unmovable tech was a bit better as it makes it difficult for me to pair tech together.

Overcompensating for something?

SnowDrops

You can also warp very close to the centre. Others have reported that it's random as fuck and can you can travel ANYWHERE.

I had warped countless times using black holes on my way to the centre and always was about 1200-ish LY closer. But well, the more you know. Won't be doing that the second time around then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Grabbed this new ship, love the look and paint job.

It's only 24 slots but that will actually do for now. I don't need any weapons, so that helps a lot. Came with a Sigma Warp Reactor. My next task is to build a Tau but I need Aluminum, which I have no idea where to find.

Got back to 6 Atlas Stones, and reached a station which is apparently the
end of the path, but because I lost the 4 before I couldn't do what it wanted. May try "resuming the path" a bit later on to see if there's any way to still finish it. Funny that the Atlas path is essentially try to inform you of what a bad idea such a path is. XD

Also stopped on this random rock and looked up, felt a bizarre familiarity.

Morat

Banned
So got the game. I'm really rather enjoying messing around in it [and testing the limits of the profanity filter]. I understand the disappointment around the game, but coming into it without tons of hype means I'm enjoying it for what it is. It also probably helps that I don't play a lot of crafting games and am therefore not burnt out on the style.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Oh my god I'm having the worst luck finding an Atlas Pass v2. So annoying.

Also, are there any blueprints for the ship scanner? There's a whole section for it in the upgrade menu but I've never found one.

Ok, that's weird. I just warped to a system with 2 planets discovered by another player, but the discovery of the system is in my name.
Pretty cool though, didn't think I'd come across another player's discovery so soon.

Opa-Pa

So got the game. I'm really rather enjoying messing around in it [and testing the limits of the profanity filter]. I understand the disappointment around the game, but coming into it without tons of hype means I'm enjoying it for what it is. It also probably helps that I don't play a lot of crafting games and am therefore not burnt out on the style.

Yeah same. I think the only similar thing I've played with survival and crafting elements is a couple of hours of Minecraft, so I'm rather enjoying the gameplay loop except when I land on less friendly planets with ridiculous radiation levels and the like, but that's part of the adventure I guess.

Ambitious

I'm finally close to a green and blue system, respectively, but I first need to upgrade my warp drive in order to visit either. But I can't find the required resources (Nickel, Emeril) in my current system. Damn. Guess I'll have to jump around for a while.

Five systems later, still no Nickel. Oh, come on.

HeeHo

Five systems later, still no Nickel.

Maybe someone has already mentioned it to you but have you tried to buy the Nickel and Emeril from merchants? I would suggest going to a space station and watch ships come and go and talk to the pilots and trade with them.

Is there an "official" nomenclature for planets?

So far I renamed them to a somewhat matching reference or a cool name.
But now I started adding additional information.

Like so:

Shiva EC8_0A

Shiva= whatever I feel like naming the planet
E = added when there is extreme weather (L = low atmosphere)
C = cold (H= hot, R = radiation, T = toxic, N = normal)
8 = 0-9 scale for Flora
_ = standard Sentinel level (- = more aggressive, / = less aggressive)
0 = 0-9 scale for Fauna (0 = empty)
A = Aluminum (first letter of the seemingly most abundant non-standard element on the planet)

I only really name systems and planets that I find fun, like planet Gravatino Ballerino, Hyper Cube.
I'm still waiting for a system I can call home and name after Dune. Will probably do that after 'bases' are patched in.

Top Bottom