• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Ambitious

I think I mined it from some of the bigger asteroids the other day. You should try that. The either give copper or nickel.

Yeah, but I haven't found any in those five systems. Just Iron, Copper and Iridium.

Maybe someone has already mentioned it to you but have you tried to buy the Nickel and Emeril from merchants? I would suggest going to a space station and watch ships come and go and talk to the pilots and trade with them.

I tried that for a while, but none of them sold any.

magawolaz

Grinded out Gek transmission towers to get a 48 slot ship and landed on this beautiful thang. I only wish that the placement of unmovable tech was a bit better as it makes it difficult for me to pair tech together.
wNO5Q9a.jpg

Also lucked out and found a non hostile planet with caves filled with Vortex Cubes everywhere. About 500K every 10 minutes....

I haven't even started the atlas path yet :eek:
I have the same body, but with a shorter nose. Yours looks like a dragster!

I too found a cave with vortex cubes: I thought my 30-slot ship was enough, but since I'm in a Gek system I decided to go back hunting lol

You get about 800 to 1500LY closer to the center using Black Holes, but you warp across the galaxy like crazy, you may end up on the completly other side, hence the "distance traveled" being so high.
Ah, that's why the 'distance traveled' was so high. Makes sense. I thought my game was bugged lol

Grabbed this new ship, love the look and paint job.
thumb

It's only 24 slots but that will actually do for now. I don't need any weapons, so that helps a lot. Came with a Sigma Warp Reactor. My next task is to build a Tau but I need Aluminum, which I have no idea where to find.
Now this I've never seen before.

I have a theory on portals.

I think they're old assets left in the game that have been replaced by black holes. The original mechanic was you'd travel through a portal but have to leave your ship behind as a consequence. I think that was dumbed down in favour of bringing your ship along via black holes.

Could be wrong but it would explain why they're inactive and maybe taking them out is difficult because it would fuck with other generation in the algorithm.

OMG - I just found two planets in the same system that have those valuable cubes just lying around. I found about 30 on the outskirts of an outpost. Scooped em up and sell sell sell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yesss found a desert with tons of Aluminum in caves. It also has sparse gravitino balls scattered around but the sentinels are threatening to begin with and I don't need the cash for the moment.

I think they're old assets left in the game that have been replaced by black holes. The original mechanic was you'd travel through a portal but have to leave your ship behind as a consequence. I think that was dumbed down in favour of bringing your ship along via black holes.

Could be wrong but it would explain why they're inactive and maybe taking them out is difficult because it would fuck with other generation in the algorithm.

Datamining confirmed they are indeed in the game as intended but it's still a mystery how you are supposed to activate them. Closest aproximates either have something to do with a rare multitool you get from a monolith event or, quite logically, vortex cubes. It's implied that it is a delibetate mistery on how to make them work.

somme

Once we figure out how to turn them on, we may need to turn on more than one to enable travel between them.

However they work, the mystery is intriguing.

BizzyBum

Just reposting this since I've seen people still wondering where to get the green elements, just go on a crashed ship spree. Deconstruct everything the ship has and transfer it over. The more slots the ship has the more resources you get. This is the best way to get rare stuff like Omegon, Aluminum, Nickel, Gold, Emeril, etc.

mishakoz

Ooooo, what if you have to have two players next to the portal in each instance of their game. Then the portal will activate and open the portal between player instances, allowing you to play together

That would be cool. It's not true but I would dig it.

Fisty

Just reposting this since I've seen people still wondering where to get the green elements, just go on a crashed ship spree. Deconstruct everything the ship has and transfer it over. The more slots the ship has the more resources you get. This is the best way to get rare stuff like Omegon, Aluminum, Nickel, Gold, Emeril, etc.

Confirmed, was doing this last night. Never even seen Omegon or Nickel but now ive got a full slot of Omegon and im swimming in Nickel

Seiniyta

Once we figure out how to turn them on, we may need to turn on more than one to enable travel between them.

However they work, the mystery is intriguing.

This is super probably not how it's is. But wouldn't be like cool if there's some trigger that a player or a large amount have to trigger and it starts activating a bunch of stuff in the galaxy? Portals opening for every player in their game (if online mode is enabled of course) Suddenly, planets starting to move in the sky etc.

I don't think black holes were a replacement for portals, as Sean had confirmed the existence of black holes before release. Also, I believe portals were supposed to be like always-on Stargates that you could walk back and forth through.

I'm on my fourth system and already found planets filled with gravitino balls and vortex cubes. That doesn't feel right to me. I think these elements were meant to only be found towards the center. The gravitino balls were probably originally only found on planets with floating islands.

Sean had positioned portals as a way to leap forwards to get more valuable stuff, but that would come at a risk of more dangerous enemies and planets with environments you weren't prepared for. I imagine the cubes and balls were some of these valuable resources only found towards the center. But at some point Sean changed the algorithm to make the galaxy more homogenous, and thus the portals lost their risk-reward reason for existing.

I'm not sure why Sean put the galaxy algorithms in a blender, but something was lost in terms of the feeling of progression when he did. There's less reason to get to the center now. (though I will certainly still try)

Yeah, but I haven't found any in those five systems. Just Iron, Copper and Iridium.

Another shot of the new hopper

Desperate for Aluminum if anyone has seen it anywhere consistently.

To both of your searches... I guess just moving from planet to planet? I know that's kind of a shitty answer but the more I move around, the less finding those neutral elements becomes an issue. Iridium is still the most rare for me personally, but I discovered that some of the basic looking arch stone formations on the planet I'm on were actually Iridium deposits. Also, when scanning while on foot, rock formation that pings back with those energon cube shapes is probably a mineable deposit of either silicate or neutral element. The last planet I was one had Nickel deposits in rock formations that were identical to other rock formations that weren't resources. I only sorted it by scanning and seeing those cube outlines pop up.

Keep flying!

0racle

Guys I need some ship help.

I'm not interested in grinding and playing for hours on end finding ships for +1 at a time

I want to just buy a decent ship and call it a day so I can get combat trophies. I still have the starter ship but all space station ships to buy have max of about 23 slots. I have 10 mill to spend but nothing is showing up in the price range. What gives ?

OMG - I just found two planets in the same system that have those valuable cubes just lying around. I found about 30 on the outskirts of an outpost. Scooped em up and sell sell sell.

Did you know that if you farm crashed ships and dismantle their tech, there's a chance you'll get a stackable variant of the Vortex Cubes that lets you stack 100 of them in one slot? Be careful not to sell the whole stack and you'll be able to keep stacking 100.

JackEtc

Should you install shield boost upgrades next to one another, or delete the old one and replace it with the new better one you find? Do they stack?

I have shield boost sigma built right now and just found theta, dunno if I need to delete my old one or if I should keep both

Another question I have: Are discoveries on planets-- animal discoveries specifically-- collaborative? I'm on a planet that someone else had previously discovered and catalogued 2 of the 10+ species on the planet (shoutout to Psycho3108 lol), leaving me to try and find the rest. If I 100% it, will we both get the credits, or just me?

BizzyBum

I'm not interested in grinding and playing for hours on end finding ships for +1 at a time

I want to just buy a decent ship and call it a day so I can get combat trophies. I still have the starter ship but all space station ships to buy have max of about 23 slots. I have 10 mill to spend but nothing is showing up in the price range. What gives ?

I think the ones you can buy are dependent on how many slots you currently have. I'm not 100% sure on this, though.

Should you install shield boost upgrades next to one another, or delete the old one and replace it with the new better one you find? Do they stack?

I have shield boost sigma built right now and just found theta, dunno if I need to delete my old one or if I should keep both

Yes, they stack.

I think after you buy a ship with 20-23 slots you'll start seeing more expensive ships with 27-30 slots.

Another question I have: Are discoveries on planets-- animal discoveries specifically-- collaborative? I'm on a planet that someone else had previously discovered and catalogued 2 of the 10+ species on the planet (shoutout to Psycho3108 lol), leaving me to try and find the rest. If I 100% it, will we both get the credits, or just me?

I just had something similar. Some guy already discovered 3-4 species, but I think I still had to scan them in order to count towards my 100%

IvanJ

Banned
Does the Extreme Conditions milestone still work with waiting inside shelters?
Yes

I would guess the credit goes to the person that presses the 100% upload button.

CqUquRsW8AA9rOl.jpg:large

So a couple of things have happened today. First of all I found this thing in the image above. If I shoot it with my mining beam it just rolls around. It's not the same as the ball you will find at ruins instead it looks more like a giant nut that needs to be cracked.

If I scan it the green symbol with the white exclamation point comes up.

Now the interesting bit is that I have been leaving my game running in this region and I had been playing around with this ball for some time. I eventually decided to leave it in a ditch created my grenades for safe keeping until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it. Well, after a while the ditch that I created disappeared and the giant nut ball thing reset to where it was before. A little strange. I didn't know geographical changes would actually reset while in the middle of playing a game.

So a couple of things have happened today. First of all I found this thing in the image above. If I shoot it with my mining beam it just rolls around. It's not the same as the ball you will find at ruins instead it looks more like a giant nut that needs to be cracked.

It looks exactly like these things I've found, but if I shoot them with the mining beam it gives me some rare element.

Welp I've been stuck inside a cave for the past hour. Cannot find a way out :(

Do you have a grenade attachment for your multitool? If so just start blasting your way up and out of the system. You'll break through to the surface eventually and then you can get your bearings. Grenades can be charged with basic stuff like carbon and plutonium, which you should have plenty of underground.

Ambitious

What's the best way to find crashed ships? I haven't seen any in hours. However, I was concerned with other things; I didn't actively search for them.

Mindlog

Twice now one of my potential forever ships has been posted. I can't use the same thing!
I found a really nice Starfox ship, but not sure if the angular cockpit is for me. The bubble and sphere canopies seem to be my favorite.
Yesss found a desert with tons of Aluminum in caves. It also has sparse gravitino balls scattered around but the sentinels are threatening to begin with and I don't need the cash for the moment.
1.) Upgrade your ship as much as possible. The expensive upgrades with rare materials work best.
2.) Search for crash sites.
3.) Profit.

From scrapping ships I have ~18m credits, a stack of 80 Gravitino Balls, 40 Resonators, and 1000 Omegon. I also keep stacks of other rare items around just in case. I was selling Dimensional Matrices, but don't do that. They're necessary if you like building Photon Cannon upgrades.

You will also get all the AL, N, Ir, Au and Emiril you could ever need. The only minerals you'll need to mine for are Herbidium and Iron. Those are both extremely easy to find.
^^^
Can't believe my quick step out turned into a half hour.

Handy Fake

CqUquRsW8AA9rOl.jpg:large

If I scan it the green symbol with the white exclamation point comes up.

Now the interesting bit is that I have been leaving my game running in this region and I had been playing around with this ball for some time. I eventually decided to leave it in a ditch created my grenades for safe keeping until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it. Well, after a while the ditch that I created disappeared and the giant nut ball thing reset to where it was before. A little strange. I didn't know geographical changes would actually reset while in the middle of playing a game.

Bounce it into a monolith and see if it activates the wormhole...

thenameDS

Blast your way out with grenades.
I usually just blast my own way out when that happens.
Do you have a grenade attachment for your multitool? If so just start blasting your way up and out of the system. You'll break through to the surface eventually and then you can get your bearings. Grenades can be charged with basic stuff like carbon and plutonium, which you should have plenty of underground.
Still haven't assembled the grenade attachment. Just found a new section of the cave hopefully there is a way out somewhere around here.

2AdEPT

So Im sure we have had enough time with the game to know how it balances stuff, ie. what type of loot comes up for you in certain caches based on what you already have...for example mpost ships that fly into the first spave station I went to are in and around my level...but one was 5 million and it was rare as I havent seen it since.

How much of this Universe is fixed (supposedly the locations are the same for everyone) and what things are variable to balance a guy just starting out from a veteran?n Surely they have some balancing inputs right?!?!?

What's the best way to find crashed ships? I haven't seen any in hours. However, I was concerned with other things; I didn't actively search for them.
I have found crashed ships three different ways.
1.) use a bypass chip at the red lasered location finder and select "transmission" its random, but I got a distress signal there. Same for Beacons they search for distress signals in the area amongst other things.
2.) break into observatories - usually just a reinforced steel door stopping you. once in you can often get distress signals at the terminal as your reward for answering the questions right.
3.) simply see them smoking there on the horizon....found at least one this way..maybe two...out of the four I have found...yes jsut starting......lttp

Geez I guess I have a new topic for a "how to" video ...was struggling to know what to make...just so many options and people seem to be doign things differently to say the least...really cool time in the NMS community.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Haven't followed all the news. I've heard from many people that some aspects of the game seem to be quite annoying but easy to fix; like the inventory system. Have Hello Games announced that they will fix these things with upcoming patches?

In that case, I'd wait a bit before I start the game. I have more than enough other stuff ready to play at the moment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Scrapping crashed ships for aluminum is great advice, if I hadn't found them caves I definitely would have set out doing that. Just hopped in a black hole, think I'll survey the system I landed in a bit then start cruising toward the core again for a while.
Lost 3 hours due to game not saving :(
Well that blows. Had you already saved since the patch fine before this?
So saves from jumping in and out of a ship work but the ones while using those save markers don't, right?

That's what I'm seeing.
Whoa, really? I will check the timestamps when I get back on

E92 M3

So saves from jumping in and out of a ship work but the ones while using those save markers don't, right?

That's what I'm seeing.

I'm not sure what caused it, but the game crashed and it loaded 3 hours back. I saved using all methods.

Scrapping crashed ships for aluminum is great advice, if I hadn't found them caves I definitely would have set out doing that. Just hopped in a black hole, think I'll survey the system I landed in a bit then start cruising toward the core again for a while.

Never had this before patch. I was doing the sol thing and gathering rare material. Got up to 8 and loaded back into 1.

Whoa, really? I will check the timestamps when I get back on

What I'm noticing is that you get that slight judder when you save at the save spots. Apparently that usually indicates that a save hasn't worked on the latest patch. Not 100% sure though. I just make sure my last save is with my ship and that seems to work.

BizzyBum

Go to a Gek system and use a bypass chip to hack an encrypted panel (the thing with the orange laser shooting up). Search for a transmission until you find a transmission tower. Go there and solve the number puzzle and it will locate a crashed ship for you. The reason to do it within a Gek system is the game lets you keep locating ships using the same terminal, so you can pinpoint dozens of ships at once. Apparently the Gek are awful pilots.

Top Bottom