• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Played a little bit of this on my Rift via Remote Play from my PS4. Not VR, obviously.

Yet, even this scenario gave me a sense of scale and immersion that has me really excited about playing something like this in actual VR. The same problem as always is locomotion in a large environment.

JackHerer

Played a little bit of this on my Rift via Remote Play from my PS4. Not VR, obviously.

Yet, even this scenario gave me a sense of scale and immersion that has me really excited about playing something like this in actual VR. The same problem as always is locomotion in a large environment.

Looking forward to Vive roomscale support, either official or modded in. Obviously will need some kind of teleport mechanic.

This pretty much sums it up for me. If they would build an engaging RPG or even MMO on top of this it would be absolutely incredible. Don't think that's going to happen though.

Part of me wishes they would have gone a different route: generate a few hundred planets/systems then handcraft and place game elements on top of that, adding things like dungeons with stories and special rewards, more dynamic/varied NPC interactions, generally more interesting/surprising scenarios etc.

LOL... yeah, and if they were a big studio with big studio funding, instead of an 18-person team who took out loans and used profits from Joe Danger to make NMS, they might've been able to pull that off.

If you don't like the gameplay that's fine, but saying, "if it had only been an MMO I would've loved this" is not being realistic. Reminds me of that scene in Almost Famous, "If you were a rock star and taller and had a British accent I'd really like you".

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Today tried to land on a planet ,just before reach the atmosphere a group of enemies appeared, I tried to escape toward the planet but it seems you are not allowed to do that and forced to fight.

So basically you can not land on a planet while being attacked, can someone confirm this..

You sure can, but don't go too far from orbit. Thia is exactly what I do when I go Pirate Fishing. I fly back into orbit and fish for pirates, then I bait them back down to the surface. When they're dogfighting me I boost back up but not high enough to go into space, brake-flip and boost straight back down to attack them. Death From Above, baby!

They never follow you up, they just fly around in circles and become ripe for the picking. Never have to even recharge your (upgraded) shields. When DFA'ing the beam, even an unupgraded one, is very effective.

I don't know if it's a real exploit but after my first experience losing 10 ship slots of gold I became very bitter.

Aenima

So is an Atlas Interface an anomaly, or are they totally separate things? I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on an Atlas Pass....

An anomaly is
another thing with 2 NPCs inside it. It will appear randomly and there will be a icon poiting to there like a space station

JackHerer

LOL... yeah, and if they were a big studio with big studio funding, instead of an 18-person team who took out loans and used profits from Joe Danger to make NMS, they might've been able to pull that off.

If you don't like the gameplay that's fine for what it is, but saying, "if it had only been an MMO I would've loved this" is not being realistic. Reminds me of that scene in Almost Famous, "If you were a rock star and taller and had a British accent I'd really like you".

I am enjoying the game just fine and I understand that not all of that is realistic, but I can dream can't I? I never expected a AAA game, but it kind of went the other direction in that the gameplay is paper thin (I think most can agree with that, even if you love the game).

Also, I don't see what I said being impossible for a sequel (building on top of the impressive generation tech) if they use the profits from this game, but the damage they've done to their reputation could be a problem.

It's amazing the reactions this game has and continues to elicit.

Kaversmed

Trying to reach the Center and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

In the Galaxy Map, can we all agree that the Center is that glowing thing in the "horizon"? Now, if I am 170.000 lightyears away from the Center, and I go into the "free mode" and go about 1.600 lightyears in a straight line towards the light, how come I am now 172.000 lightyears away from the Center? Lmfao xD

An anomaly is

spoilers on that, please..

I am enjoying the game just fine and I understand it's not realistic, but I can dream can't I? I never expected a AAA game, but it kind of went the other direction in that the gameplay is paper thin (I think most can agree with that, even if you love the game).

Also, I don't see what I said being impossible for a sequel if they use the profits from this game, but the damage they've done to their reputation could be a problem. It's amazing the reactions this game has elicited.

Sure, I'm not trying to stomp on your dreams. I am giving Hello the benefit of the doubt that they will put NMS back on the path of their original, more expanded vision, and continue to add new content and deepen the gameplay mechanics. But I don't think they'll ever try to turn it into an RPG. Sean has hinted at wanting to do something RPG-ish with proc gen, but on a much much smaller scale, like a single part of a town or something. But I guess we'll see. I just don't think NMS would give them enough cash to build a Destiny-style MMO, especially as they plan to use some of that money to feed back into free updates.

Jharp

My path to the Galactic Core is going at an absolute snail's pace. I'm 13 hours in, I've spent a ton of time simply warping from system to system, and I'm still 1.7 million lightyears away. As I look at the next few jumps, they only put me 4-20 lightyears closer.

Out of 1.7 million.

What the fuck am I doing wrong? I've only come across one blackhole, and I have no idea how, or even if, it brought me closer to the core.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'd take ship building and ship customization over base building.

Yep.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that base building would actually be a pretty worthless addition to this game. Why would we want to build a base? There are a near limitless amount of new star systems out there for us to discover and explore, we're constantly moving forward. Building and upgrading our own ship makes much more sense, because we take it with us everywhere.

N° 2048

My path to the Galactic Core is going at an absolute snail's pace. I'm 13 hours in, I've spent a ton of time simply warping from system to system, and I'm still 1.7 million lightyears away. As I look at the next few jumps, they only put me 4-20 lightyears closer.

Out of 1.7 million.

What the fuck am I doing wrong? I've only come across one blackhole, and I have no idea how, or even if, it brought me closer to the core.

50+ hours and I never got close to the center even with all the Warp Drive upgrades (Tau+Sigma+Theta all beside each other) minus Omega.

I gave up, looked up the ending and stopped playing ever since I did.

Waiting for patches/updates.

Alebrije

You sure can, but don't go too far from orbit. Thia is exactly what I do when I go Pirate Fishing. I fly back into orbit and fish for pirates, then I bait them back down to the surface. When they're dogfighting me I boost back up but not high enough to go into space, brake-flip and boost straight back down to attack them. Death From Above, baby!

They never follow you up, they just fly around in circles and become ripe for the picking. Never have to even recharge your (upgraded) shields. When DFA'ing the beam, even an unupgraded one, is very effective.

I don't know if it's a real exploit but after my first experience losing 10 ship slots of gold I became very bitter.

Will try this thx

Kaversmed

Out of 1.7 million.

Holy shit, what? How much do we all start with? I'm at araound 170.000 Lyears away, but even with that distance it's gonna take forever..

HeeHo

Yep.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that base building would actually be a pretty worthless addition to this game. Why would we want to build a base? There are a near limitless amount of new star systems out there for us to discover and explore, we're constantly moving forward. Building and upgrading our own ship makes much more sense, because we take it with us everywhere.

I think if they implement bases, it will be somewhere where you can conveniently warp to anytime and just admire your stuff. Perhaps they'll add incentive to building a base. Maybe you can create 'farms' for certain materials.

Kaversmed

I think you're supposed to
find a black hole

Last thing I read was that
black holes only bring you around 2.000 Lyears closer whereas a fully upgraded warp engine will bring you around 1.600 Lyears.
Dunno if that's just bullshit - will experiment.

Prisoner

Yep.

Unless the "base" you are building is a kind of mothership where you could dock multiple smaller ships. That'd be pretty cool.

Stoze

I'd take ship building and ship customization over base building.

Yep. It makes so much more sense, especially since ships are generated by placing different parts together. Being able to buy and craft different parts would really help the in-game economy a lot too.

Yep.

I'd imagine the base building would be like mini-space stations that would warp with you to whatever system you go to, I can't see it working well as bases on planets. But yeah I'd still prefer ship customization over anything.

JackHerer

spoilers on that, please..

Sure, I'm not trying to stomp on your dreams. I am giving Hello the benefit of the doubt that they will put NMS back on the path of their original, more expanded vision, and continue to add new content and deepen the gameplay mechanics. But I don't think they'll ever try to turn it into an RPG. Sean has hinted at wanting to do something RPG-ish with proc gen, but on a much much smaller scale, like a single part of a town or something. But I guess we'll see. I just don't think NMS would give them enough cash to build a Destiny-style MMO, especially as they plan to use some of that money to feed back into free updates.

I don't think they will either, hence the "don't think this will happen". It would be amazing though.

I look forward to whatever they add to the game. Despite the flaws I am able to recognize how impressive what we got is and enjoy it based on that.

As far as realistic expectations go... I hope they refine the ship combat, add in actual solar systems with stars you can visit and real orbits, actually make systems get weirder near the center, make animal interactions more complex (predator/prey, behavior schedules, basically a bit more than just milling about..), overhaul the faction system, create more varied POIs, etc

These are things that can and should happen.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Unless the "base" you are building is a kind of mothership where you could dock multiple smaller ships. That'd be pretty cool.

Yeah that could be cool. Maybe if we get ships with different specs in a future update, so there would be an incentive to try and maintain 2 or 3 to choose from based on what you're doing at the time. And we could dock with the mothership before warping to another system.

That would make more sense than building a base on a planet anyway.

Kaversmed

Was 171.000 Lyears away from Center, used
a black hole
and now I am 169.500 Lyears away from Center, aaand with a broken warp drive. Jesus, this is gonna take a while isn't it?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Cant believe I've spent the whole day just mining gold.

And I finally got my Atlas Pass V1 tonight!!!

As far as realistic expectations go... I hope they refine the ship combat, add in actual solar systems with stars you can visit and real orbits, actually make systems get weirder near the center, make animal interactions more complex (predator/prey, behavior schedules, basically a bit more than just milling about..), overhaul the faction system, create more varied POIs, etc

Agree with all of that. Also overhauling the UI. Up the danger level on planets. More risk-reward systems for upgrades and rare resources. NPC bounty hunters (hired to find YOU), add more feeling of personal interaction with NPCs, deeper economic system, etc. Bigger ships with a docking bay. After wasting a bunch of time walking up to ships to trade with them, it might be better just to have a trading market screen. Would be cool to receive missions from them also, such as "Find me <some unique item> on planet Soandso". Make settlements feel more like real settlements (think Mos Eisley), not just a random collection of prefab buildings. When I walk into a space bar at an outpost I want to see those traders there having a drink, trading stories. Give me that sense of immersion and ongoing fiction of the world. Some of that starts to sound RPG-ish, so it may be outside their capabilities, but there might be ways to create small procedural gameplay systems that still feel dynamic and personal.

It remains to be seen whether Hello would or could push the reset button on the galaxy to make it more like what they told us it would be. I'd be fine with starting a new game if the changes were drastic and meaningful enough.

JarrodL

Huh, I didn't realize that installing the pulse drive upgrades actually improves normal maximum speed as well. I went from 150u to 184u max speed in two upgrades, sweet.

This is my current ship, and a few shots from today's journey. This game sure delivers some amazing sights.
Ov7CJsQ.png

KTN74pe.png

m3O3DqU.png

jPW9XAE.png

hdRWGiU.png

FTKGQHS.png

Jharp

50+ hours and I never got close to the center even with all the Warp Drive upgrades (Tau+Sigma+Theta all beside each other) minus Omega.

I gave up, looked up the ending and stopped playing ever since I did.

Waiting for patches/updates.

Well, shit. I don't know how you made it 50 hours, man, I'm already well burnt out on the game's massive lack of content and incredibly repetitive gameplay loop. I don't have it in me to keep going if it's going to take that long.

I will ask this though- I just jumped to a system that was not on my path to the core (because it was over a hundred lightyears CLOSER to the core, go figure) and found another anomaly. My options are to
use a black hole to move closer to the core
or to be returned to the Atlas path. Is it possible the Atlas path is designed to take you quickly to the core and I should do that, or should I just take the black hole?

And what the hell happened to the 25-30 hour report of main game length?

mokeyjoe

It remains to be seen whether Hello would or could push the reset button on the galaxy to make it more like what they told us it would be.

The first patch made environmental changes without needing to restart (that was just for the paths) so I imagine so. The day 1 patch overhauled the underwater environments.

Things like changing plants and animals I imagine would be easier to do. But, hey, I don't know.

Well, shit. I don't know how you made it 50 hours, man, I'm already well burnt out on the game's massive lack of content and incredibly repetitive gameplay loop. I don't have it in me to keep going if it's going to take that long.

I will ask this though- I just jumped to a system that was not on my path to the core (because it was over a hundred lightyears CLOSER to the core, go figure) and found another anomaly. My options are to
use a black hole to move closer to the core
or to be returned to the Atlas path. Is it possible the Atlas path is designed to take you quickly to the core and I should do that, or should I just take the black hole?

And what the hell happened to the 25-30 hour report of main game length?

The Atlas path doesn't dramatically speed up progress if you have the warp upgrades.

Also, they changed the distance you started out and eliminated an exploit in the first patch. But the centre isn't really an end IMO. So there's not much benefit getting there.

Cool thing i wish they add in the future, would be ship building. Could be the same styles and body parts that are already in the game.

Right now im on a quest to serach for the perfect looking ship for me, but thers always something wrong with the ones i like, sometimes i find the perfect model with horrible colours, other times i find amazing paintjobs in models i dont want. :(

I had the same issue, eventually I realized I wouldn't ever find the perfect ship so picked one that is the exact ship on the cover but is red. You can still spot 48 slot ships so I figure if I ever run across the perfect ship I'll take it, but the more I fly around in this ship the more I like it.

Yep.

I'd think the only reason to build a base is if there was an easy way for you to return to it. Like a beacon or something that lets you warp to the system instantly if you can find a black hole. Or better yet, let us build customizable freighters with upgradable hangar space so we can take our bases with us and have different ships to explore planets.

Seiniyta

The first patch made environmental changes without needing to restart (that was just for the paths) so I imagine so. The day 1 patch overhauled the underwater environments.

Things like changing plants and animals I imagine would be easier to do. But, hey, I don't know.

It's not if they CAN do it, they absolutely and very easily could ('reset the galaxy'). However, what might be a lot harder is retaining already discovered planets keeping their state pre-patch and only affecting the un-discovered planets.

In theory that should be easy too, each discovered planet having a flag. But the engine might not be set up in that way for that to be possible.

Wok

It's not if they CAN do it, they absolutely and very easily could ('reset the galaxy'). However, what might be a lot harder is retaining already discovered planets keeping their state pre-patch and only affecting the un-discovered planets.

In theory that should be easy too, each discovered planet having a flag. But the engine might not be set up in that way for that to be possible.

It might just be as easy as adding fields to describe the planet radius, distance to the star, etc. and having the game renders them accordingly in each star system. What kind of change could require a reset? I mean, planet variables are currently kind of random but independent, so adding or changing a variable should not change the others.

Question regarding the end of the game:

After finishing the Atlas Path and choosing to delay birthing a new star I decided to look up the outcomes to both the end of the Atlas Path & the Center of the Galaxy.
If I choose to birth a new star with 10 Atlas Stones, it causes me to respawn in the same Galaxy? And if I choose to make my way to the center, it respawns me in an entirely new Galaxy? Is that right? Basically the same outcome, just the center of the galaxy places you in a new galaxy?

If this is the case, then I'm going to sell off these damn Atlas Stones taking up my inventory space and explore at my leisure.

EDIT: Just watched the Atlas ending on YouTube. Is that seriously it? You birth a new star and then go on your merry way? Extremely disappointing.

Sylent01

CqUquRsW8AA9rOl.jpg:large

So a couple of things have happened today. First of all I found this thing in the image above. If I shoot it with my mining beam it just rolls around. It's not the same as the ball you will find at ruins instead it looks more like a giant nut that needs to be cracked.

If I scan it the green symbol with the white exclamation point comes up.

Now the interesting bit is that I have been leaving my game running in this region and I had been playing around with this ball for some time. I eventually decided to leave it in a ditch created my grenades for safe keeping until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it. Well, after a while the ditch that I created disappeared and the giant nut ball thing reset to where it was before. A little strange. I didn't know geographical changes would actually reset while in the middle of playing a game.

I think that is an 'Albumen Pearl' resource -just stand next to it and interact with it using the square button and it will open up. Beware though, once you claim it there is a 3 star sentinal alarm.

It might just be as easy as adding fields to describe the planet radius, distance to the star, etc. and having the game renders them accordingly in each star system. What kind of change could require a reset? I mean, planet variables are currently kind of random but independent, so adding or changing a variable should not change the others.

Well the kind of reset I was talking about would be making it as Sean described prior to release – planets start out very conventional and get weirder as you head towards the center. You start seeing the floating islands, getting more rare resources, etc. I don't know if you could do that without invalidating saves because it would change every planet on a fundamental level. Especially if they add back in how a planet would look different based on its proximity to its star, etc.

Kaversmed

Got my platinum trophy! Played for around 30 hours - had a blast but won't bother going to the Center.. I think I'll settle on getting the plat as a very natural ending to this game :)

r1chard

Go to a Gek system and use a bypass chip to hack an encrypted panel (the thing with the orange laser shooting up). Search for a transmission until you find a transmission tower. Go there and solve the number puzzle and it will locate a crashed ship for you. The reason to do it within a Gek system is the game lets you keep locating ships using the same terminal, so you can pinpoint dozens of ships at once. Apparently the Gek are awful pilots.

Oh man, how did I not know this. Thanks!

Clockwork5

Think I'm done for now. I had fun and will check it out the new content patches. But for the most part,
I feel like I've had my fill.

I think I've now stumbled on the same Atlas path that someone else has. Been going through their systems consistently now

That happened to me. But the person didn't stop at most of the planets in each system so I still landed on and discovered those. It diverged
when I went through the black hole and everything was undiscovered after that

I'm a bit bummed out because one of the planets was awesome, a forest planet half covered in water and with lots of floating islands, and sac venoms scattered about. I intended to go back to it but have no idea how to find it. :(

Tommi84

Damn. Doing the survivor trophy, placed myself in a big cave, upgraded life support, had a bunch od plutonium to refill and then checked from time to time and refill. Racked up 23.9sols aaaand... apparently storm got me in the cave and killed me at least twice o_O. Lost my stuff (not sure what though), need to start over with survivor. At least my Atlas ball was in the ship.

Time to stop for today.

SpokkX

Well after 12 hours it feels like i have seen all gameplay this game has to offer

Really amazing achievement technically and the exploring is really cool

.. But it is a shallow game with a really narrow gameplay loop that i have already lost interest in

Anyway hoping for something to DO. A real story/space missions in the future. Doubt it will come though since the game is more an experience ala walking sims. Not my cup of tea really

I think that is an 'Albumen Pearl' resource -just stand next to it and interact with it using the square button and it will open up. Beware though, once you claim it there is a 3 star sentinal alarm.

Actually its Calium, a rare resource you can farm for either selling or crafting some theta and omega tier components. And it only "resets" if you detach it from its base and dont harvest it. If you harvest it by using the mining laser, it gets marked as harvested just like any other resource.

pip77

I just encountered a issue when I opened a Multi-tool tech box. It said that a blueprint for Health Module Theta is already known but I do not see it in my list of blueprints.

I think I'm missing some tech blueprints. Nothing I have seems to require rare alloys. I can make Lemmium, but can't do anything but sell it.

Some elements seem to be only used as trade commodities.

Lemmium seems to be a tribute to heavy metal band Motörhead's Lemmy, who died during NMS's development.
Murrine is likely named for Sean Murray.
Grantine is probably named for NMS's Art Director Grant Duncan.

Developers naming items after themselves in their own game, bunch of wankers if you ask me

cant u reload ur save where u not in the "inside world"? That never happened to me, but ppl here say they use the jetpack to try get on a rock or something, and from thre start digging a hole up.

Oh, you can reload, and I did. But I lost all the emeril I'd mined to that point and had to start again. Not the best thing.

Standing on top of a cave could work, but only if you manage to get on top of one; unfortunately I was in the middle of a shallow mountain, and the cave networks near me were just barely low enough to let me reach the floor. I'll try that trick the next time it happens, though.

So I have now got all the trophies except the silver and gold survive ones so I'm gonna have to get round to doing that now.

Luckily I'm on a planet that has hostile sentinels so I should be able to get it there. Just such a pain being at least 8 hourd for these last ones before I get the platinum.

That ball is Calium. The Albumen Pearls come out of sacs that open up like something out of Alien :)

Top Bottom