• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

wipeout364

Anybody have a solution for PS4 save file corruption. I have proabably 25-30 hours in and loaded it today and keeps starting from beginning. Tried to load files under options no effect and tried to load from cloud and no effect. Heartbreaking for me if it is the end; I won't start again if I can't ; games not worth the energy of going through all that with the risk of another save file loss. I had 200 words, good ship, multi tool and inventory up over 30. Very sad.

Lagamorph

Done the Atlas Quest (
We know we're in a game/We're all in the Matrix
) and got to the Centre of the Galaxy (
Now just do the same thing all over again, lol
) and think I can safely say I've seen all the game has to offer.

Fuck this game, I'm done. Can't believe I paid £40 for this, I've never felt so ripped off by a game before. It's a rip off at half the price.

LiK

PS4 crashed first 15 minutes of play then two hours without trouble, a couple spots of hesitation where I thought maybe it was going to crash but it ran again.
I bought it after watching streams etc. knowing now what it really contains.
I can play it in front of the kids without concern for content and mostly just a chill and zone out game.
For me I don't really care if multi or base building is ever added.
Really should have been max $30 physical on PS4, $20 on PC. And no paid DLC ever.

Let me know if you ever visit planet - Thighs mmm...

did you get the 1.05 patch? i had zero crashes in a few hours of playtime after i got it last night. warped like 5 times with no issues.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
did you get the 1.05 patch? i had zero crashes in a few hours of playtime after i got it last night. warped like 5 times with no issues.

Yes checked update status before starting game, I kind of anticipated a crash or two but right away was kind of funny. Didn't really lose any ground though, trying to hit save points often - learned from other games now it's a habit.

Ridwald

Anybody have a solution for PS4 save file corruption. I have proabably 25-30 hours in and loaded it today and keeps starting from beginning. Tried to load files under options no effect and tried to load from cloud and no effect. Heartbreaking for me if it is the end; I won't start again if I can't ; games not worth the energy of going through all that with the risk of another save file loss. I had 200 words, good ship, multi tool and inventory up over 30. Very sad.

Best solution that comes to mind would be to open a ticket with the support on their site http://www.no-mans-sky.com/. I don't think you can do anything from your PS4. I guess you already tried rebooting it ?

Yikes.

NeoRausch

How are you guys/gals getting off 1000ly and more?

The max I'm getting is 600-700ly. Got sigma, tau and tetha installed and they are connected to the drive.

Out is there an omega that I missed?

There's no rough timeframe for the "bases and freighters and etc" update, right? I'm caught in that weird inbetween area when I know inventory management might become easier sometime in the future (assuming you can dump stuff like your Atlas Stones in one of those places) so I'm weirdly hesitant to keep playing at the moment.

wipeout364

Best solution that comes to mind would be to open a ticket with the support on their site http://www.no-mans-sky.com/. I don't think you can do anything from your PS4. I guess you already tried rebooting it ?
Yes tried shutting down and restarting. I am scared to play now though because I still see my old save files but it won't load them. So I am scared that it will overwrite the files. I also don't want to play because although I enjoy the game I don't love it enough to start over from the beginning. I think I've seen most of what it offers but I did want to get to the end.

LiK

The trophy for surviving in extreme conditions is ridiculous.

It's stupid. Who wants to stay on ONE planet for 8+ hours? If it was cumulative across different planets, it would be less annoying. Thank gawd it works while idling in buildings and caves.

ryan299

It's stupid. Who wants to stay on ONE planet for 8+ hours? If it was cumulative across different planets, it would be less annoying. Thank gawd it works while idling in buildings and caves.

Yeah, I'm just sitting in a building on an extreme sentinel planet. I still have to do the zoology one, but I'm just going to look for dead planets with no life.

Mathieran

Banned
I've greatly enjoyed the game for the last two weeks, completed the atlas path, visited a lot of planets and had a lot of fun. A couple days ago I began my journey to the center in earnest and barely made a dent in the distance. I don't want to turn the game into a grind cause that would ruin the fun.

I think with Deus Ex coming out today, this game is going to become my play once a week kinda game and I will slowly chip away at my journey to the center. Might take me months or even a year but I still look forward to playing a little bit here and there, and also looking forward to updates in the future. I think this game will have long legs for me.

muteki

I can't imagine it is intentional as is, but I wonder if they can fix it at this point.

All the other milestones are a relative cakewalk compared to this one outlier. Charting 10 planets is the closest.

LiK

Yeah, I'm just sitting in a building on an extreme sentinel planet. I still have to do the zoology one, but I'm just going to look for dead planets with no life.

Yea, I did a few planets legit but then there were two planets where I could NEVER find the one last species to complete it. I hated trying to find them with no global scanner that can help with it. Ended up doing the dead planet method as well. So much easier.

A_Dang

The trophy for surviving in extreme conditions is ridiculous.

I just got that trophy the other day...

At first I was excited to be on an extremely toxic planet, as it was my first, then I hated the planet while grinding up to a 48 slot ship for hours. It was ugly, and barren and didn't have any really good naturally occurring resources (it did have callium or what ever it is...but I have no use for it), it was horrible. Once I reached the last hour or so I started to turn the corner on it though, I took a bunch of pictures because I was finally seeing the beauty the barrenness offered.

Then I realized Stockholm's Syndrome was very real, got my trophy and booked it.

What a grind.

Ambitious

Finally, I got a 48 slot ship with all upgrades, organized in a perfect layout. Took just a bit over two hours of farming crashed ships. Now I just need about ~30 million units or whatever the price of 48 slot ships is so I can replace mine with a better looking one.

muteki

Finally, I got a 48 slot ship with all upgrades, organized in a perfect layout. Took just a bit over two hours of farming crashed ships. Now I just need about ~30 million units or whatever the price of 48 slot ships is so I can replace mine with a better looking one.

Why not just find a prettier crashed one?

Thanks for the compliments! It is a shame that planets and moons are stuck together, but I also think it's cool that the movement of stars around the planets are so varied.

Strange, felt that "Interstellar" vibe from the video..

but a fantastic video nonetheless
Oh it was definitely an inspiration, at least musically. These are pseudo covers of a track from Interstellar and also a song by Philip Glass used in Koyanisqatsi, The Watchmen, and the og GTA4 trailer.

Hagen

How are you guys/gals getting off 1000ly and more?

The max I'm getting is 600-700ly. Got sigma, tau and tetha installed and they are connected to the drive.

Out is there an omega that I missed?

You mean the travel distance between the stars? I have installed 3 extra (sigma tau theta) and can jump around 1.600 light years.
These three are not even attached to the main hyperdrive.

LJ6bPpL.jpg

Philia

I don't know if you guys knew this, but you can somewhat see what's beyond those locked atlas doors. If you just grind up to them long enough and steady enough, you can see what's behind them. I've saved some screens. A couple of greenhouses and an office.

Ambitious

Why not just find a prettier crashed one?

Ahh.. never mind. That was a brainfart of mine. I was planning to use the savegame glitch to get a prettier ship (assuming it still works), so I don't actually need that much money.

reson8or

Finally gave up on this game. I actually liked the core loop and played for many hours.

1. I encountered a bullshit glitch that made EVERY planet I visit have EXACTLY the same materials. This happened around the 5-6 hour mark in the game and made upgrading most things impossible. I played approximately 40 hours and still had the default warp engine, for example. This got to be infuriating the longer I played since getting basic materials over and over to warp one star system at a time became very tedious.

2. I chose the Atlas path and sold off all the stones I came across. Initially I kept them but the the game gave NO indication of what their significance is, at all. Had I even had a clue as to their importance, I would not have sold the 20 or so I had collected during my journey.

Both these things combined with other little annoyances (repeating puzzles, planetary scenery, many others) added up to making me say "fuck this game".

Man what a bummer.

DanielJr82

2. I chose the Atlas path and sold off all the stones I came across. Initially I kept them but the the game gave NO indication of what their significance is, at all. Had I even had a clue as to their importance, I would not have sold the 20 or so I had collected during my journey.

I got my first Atlas stone and was going to sell it, but something told me to hang on to it. Guess I was right. =/ Too bad we don't have a warehouse or mothership or something, no way I'm going to hold on to 20 stones at all times, lol.

curb

Banned
I got my first Atlas stone and was going to sell it, but something told me to hang on to it. Guess I was right. =/ Too bad we don't have a warehouse or mothership or something, no way I'm going to hold on to 20 stones at all times, lol.

U-Haul sponsored spaceship cargo trailer DLC

Hagen

Mhm I've kept my first two or three also for a while. Now sold about 6 or 7.
Without getting spoiled, but are they mandatory in some way to "finish" the game?

I hate that a game has to spell things out like this for some people. The first time you get an Atlas stone it feels like a petty important item. It's listed as a "very high value curiosity" as opposed to the usual "trade commodity" items who's only purpose is to sell. That's a pretty big clue. Even before it was blatantly spoiled to me, I wouldn't dare sell or drop my Atlas stones because I didn't know what was coming up.

I got the impression very early on from Sean that he's the type of guy who doesn't like games that hand hold the player. I'm not surprised by the result.

That being said, the game's systems are not that difficult and,baring glitches, there are solutions to most of the problems you might make for yourself.

Did you sell off your Atlas Stones? You can buy them back at a high price. It's a penalty for making the wrong decision but you're not left without an option.

BizzyBum

So how much quicker is it to the center taking black holes all the time opposed to regular warping? I seem to only get about 300ly closer per warp. I hate how shit breaks using black holes.

So how much quicker is it to the center taking black holes all the time opposed to regular warping? I seem to only get about 300ly closer per warp. I hate how shit breaks using black holes.

black holes are wild cards. They can get you real close or take you farther away. Sean put them in the game as short cuts for impatient people who want to fast track, but there is a penalty. At least that's how I read it.

Raist

Banned

How the hell did you get to 20 Atlas stones without knowing what they do? That's basically impossible. Unless you bought 10 of them, in which case you know you can fix that. And also blew like 50M.

Mhm I've kept my first two or three also for a while. Now sold about 6 or 7.
Without getting spoiled, but are they mandatory in some way to "finish" the game?

No. The Atlas Path is basically a side "quest" that tells you a bit more about the universe, with some reward at the end. But really not a big one.

Distance is random through black holes, I've traveled over a million light years through a few of them.

I had as much as 2,500 LY jumps, but it was typically closer to 1,000. After a while though I stopped using them due to their inconsistency and made a mad dash for the center just jumping the max possible every jump.

Just got this when checking my discoveries. When I moved the cursor it went back to the normal animation.

KeIt5DT.jpg

Oh wow, thank you! I thought I might be going crazy when I saw a chemical model for a second. Couldn't get it to show up again. Wonder if it's part of a feature they're adding, maybe to show chemical composition of planets or something.

I got the impression very early on from Sean that he's the type of guy who doesn't like games that hand hold the player. I'm not surprised by the result.

That being said, the game's systems are not that difficult and,baring glitches, there are solutions to most of the problems you might make for yourself.

Did you sell off your Atlas Stones? You can buy them back at a high price. It's a penalty for making the wrong decision but you're not left without an option.

I haven't been affected by this personally, but it seems like a bit of a dick move to me. I'm all for figuring things out, but being heavily penalized for not knowing you can trash a special inventory item? That's some Sierra-Online adventure game level of opaqueness, except in this case you can't just load an old save file. Most modern games just won't let you get rid of them, most JRPGs list such things as "key items". IMO it's just bad game design.

I haven't been affected by this personally, but it seems like a bit of a dick move to me. I'm all for figuring things out, but being heavily penalized for not knowing you can trash a special inventory item? That's some Sierra-Online adventure game level of opaqueness, except in this case you can't just load an old save file. Most modern games just won't let you get rid of them, most JRPGs list such things as "key items". IMO it's just bad game design.

IMO, if a giant ethereal pulsating red orb is giving you stones it might be best not to trash them and instead try to find out what they might be used for. It doesn't need to say key item for me to know that they are important. The situation surrounding them gives that away.

There's a person on Reddit right now trying to circumnavigate a moon. They are recording with ShadowPlay and uploading the video's as they go to YouTube.I'm really curious how it will turn out. I wonder how long it will take them.

Reddit Post

YouTube

Top Bottom