• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Poetaster

Banned
Someone should make No Man's Sky themed terrariums. I'm not really into nor have any game related memorabilia, but a terrarium with a starship and maybe a knowledge stone would be dope.

After being bored a bit by what I was getting (and looking for portals with no avail) I decide to go to my first non-F Class star as I upgraded my Warp engine. Landed on an O system (blue star). First time in a long time where the game gave me a lot of interesting things to look at.

I was greeted by a 20 strong space battle with the great Star Destroyers while the blue shine of the star gave a beautiful glow everywhere. First planet was a toxic one but with a lot of strange flora I haven't seen before (along with some stuff I did) and a LOT of it. Puffy, bubble trees everywhere and the planet has a green/blue feel to it.

I go to its moon and again a bit surprised. Filled with a ton of desert flora (cacti mostly) but nearly every single fauna aside from the birds and the fish are distinct and different blobs. One even has a lizard/sandworm head.

Not sure if this trend continues or not but these are the biggest visual curveballs I had since starting the game. And I still have planets and moons to go in this system.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My previous ship had 33 slots.

The only thing that sucks is that the photon cannons are glitched at 0% and don't have tracking.
Cool, thanks. I've got a 31, and the highest I've been seeing is 39 slots. I've got around 33m units, and I really just want to cross the 40 slot threshold, so I'm going to do a couple crashed ships and then hopefully buy my way higher. Not sure I'll ever have the patience to get to 48, but settling at 39 seems so lackluster.

I think everyone's photon cannons are glitched in terms of needing recharging. I when I bought my first new ship the tracking disappeared for a while and then returned.

Unicorn

I have some fucking beef with this game's use of billboarding or rotating grass and foliage. It's inconsistent. The 2 planets I've found that are lush with grass have non rotating grass using a cross hatch of sprite polygons. Even animals and myself walking through it affects it and it will warp sideways to simulate physical interaction.

Now, sparse grass planets and moss in caves and all leaves use the spinning billboard effect. So, basically I'm calling bullshit on that it's used to save memory or whatever because the times I see the most grass are the times the grass is static.

This may be fixed in a patch, and if not planned, should be fixed in a patch. Maybe all the other sprites need to be criss-crossed like the lush grass assets.

Frustrating that it's inconsistent and explains the pre release footage I saw of some planets with no rotating grass and other footage that showed clear billboarding.

There's a person on Reddit right now trying to circumnavigate a moon. They are recording with ShadowPlay and uploading the video's as they go to YouTube.I'm really curious how it will turn out. I wonder how long it will take them.

Reddit Post

YouTube

It's certainly possible on a moon, since they're so much smaller than planets. The only problem I forsee is him keeping a straight line around the planet, since there is no compass to keep him aligned. You can do it by getting lucky (or planned) building markers in key locations. Sounds like he's relying on his ship marker though, which I think is a mistake. I don't think the game can hold the entire planet's surface in memory, so his ship is moving with him as he traverses across the surface.

dubq

You mean the travel distance between the stars? I have installed 3 extra (sigma tau theta) and can jump around 1.600 light years.
These three are not even attached to the main hyperdrive.

LJ6bPpL.jpg

Wait - do upgrades stack?? Like, I can use 3 tau reactors like that? Is there a limit?

LiK

am i the only one who's annoyed you can't move the suit/ship upgrades around to organize and link them? pretty irritating design decision.

It's certainly possible on a moon, since they're so much smaller than planets. The only problem I forsee is him keeping a straight line around the planet, since there is no compass to keep him aligned. You can do it by getting lucky (or planned) building markers in key locations. Sounds like he's relying on his ship marker though, which I think is a mistake. I don't think the game can hold the entire planet's surface in memory, so his ship is moving with him as he traverses across the surface.

This exactly what he was complaining about in his post. His ship started moving and he had to resort to using the mother planet of the moon to stay aligned. I'm sure he's way off course by now. I'd like to see someone plan it out better and give it a go. Could make for an interesting series for someone who live streams.

IMO, if a giant ethereal pulsating red orb is giving you stones it might be best not to trash them and instead try to find out what they might be used for. It doesn't need to say key item for me to know that they are important. The situation surrounding them gives that away.

Obviously there are people who don't have as finely-honed observation skills as you. :p A severe punishment (those things are expensive) for something they failed to grasp the importance of is going too far. The stones should really just not be inventory items that can be thrown away.

I'm interested to see what happens, but yeah, I saw in the Reddit posts that the ship marker is already moving and unreliable. I think this person is probably going to get rather off course. Using a toxic moon with heavy cloud cover was probably not the best idea – it might have been possible to use stars to navigate at least at night. Still, I'm glad someone is trying it. Wish they were streaming.

This exactly what he was complaining about in his post. His ship started moving and he had to resort to using the mother planet of the moon to stay aligned. I'm sure he's way off course by now. I'd like to see someone plan it out better and give it a go. Could make for an interesting series for someone who live streams.

It would be fairly easy, given the size of moons/planets, to give yourself a couple of building markers to keep yourself on-course. Those seem to be hard-coded enough that they are visible no matter where you are on a planet.

Sadly it doesn't seem like this guy thought of that ahead of time, or really understands how the game is generating the terrain around him.

reson8or

I hate that a game has to spell things out like this for some people. The first time you get an Atlas stone it feels like a petty important item. It's listed as a "very high value curiosity" as opposed to the usual "trade commodity" items who's only purpose is to sell. That's a pretty big clue. Even before it was blatantly spoiled to me, I wouldn't dare sell or drop my Atlas stones because I didn't know what was coming up.

The game does a shit job of giving any indication whatsoever. Being called a "curiosity" and ALSO being sellable negates importance of the word in the first place. I play and love all the souls games, which are considered fairly cryptic with items and their use, and I have no problem whatsoever with them.

This game is not up to par.

Oh gotcha. I read his post wrong. He's done one each of sigma, tau, and theta.

That's okay I just realized reading his post that you have to have those upgrades touching each other in the inventory. Do all the upgrade series work that way or just the Hyperdrive?

Goddammit. Looks like I'm going ship hunting again.

am i the only one who's annoyed you can't move the suit/ship upgrades around to organize and link them? pretty irritating design decision.
No its absolutely stupid. At the very least you should be able to "disable" parts, move and re-install them for the repair cost (rather than remaking the entire upgrade) or pay to re-arrange them at a space station.

The game does a shit job of giving any indication whatsoever. Being called a "curiosity" and ALSO being sellable negates importance of the word in the first place. I play and love all the souls games, which are considered fairly cryptic with items and their use, and I have no problem whatsoever with them.

At the end of the day, the game isn't about telling you exactly what to do and how to do it. It's your choice to look at an item and decide for yourself whether or not to keep it or sell it, not for the game to tell you "KEY ITEM. CAN'T BE SOLD." It's your choice whether or not to follow the Atlas path at all.

mokeyjoe

That's just a matter of taste. I don't like the Souls games, though I've tried. But I love this and can't stop playing it.

Qwark

Anybody ever see explosions on the ground as they're flying around a planet? Is that just debris and broken machinery crashing to the ground? Doesn't seem to be a crashed ship from what I could tell.

dubq

That's okay I just realized reading his post that you have to have those upgrades touching each other in the inventory. Do all the upgrade series work that way or just the Hyperdrive?
I think the upgrades still work even if they are not touching.. but they get a 'boost' if they are touching? Can anyone confirm?

Anybody ever see explosions on the ground as they're flying around a planet? Is that just debris and broken machinery crashing to the ground? Doesn't seem to be a crashed ship from what I could tell.

Only think I can think of is an activated monolith periodically firing off its little blue firework thing into the air.

neoism

I have been this last 3 days window shopping in space stations for my unicorn. I was looking for a specific model with the long front, but that model appear very rarely, and when it appeared there was always something i dont liked, or had weird wings or awful colors... untill today i saw one pretty much perfect for me.

Only problem was, it was in a Korvac solar system, so i could not use the Gek towers to quick search. Anyway i had to get it. After 4 hours of searching for transmition towers + crash sites i finally found it right when i was about to give up.

And thats how the planet looked after all the search (notice the other markers in the other side of the planet :p )

So the quest for my ship is over, time to enjoy the views and relax :)

makes me sad... time to redo my ship again... wasted fucking 6 hours yesterday...😤😭

Obviously there are people who don't have as finely-honed observation skills as you. :p A severe punishment (those things are expensive) for something they failed to grasp the importance of is going too far. The stones should really just not be inventory items that can be thrown away.
Disagree wholeheartedly. In a game where inventory is important and the meaning of Atlas is important, if someone pays zero attention and just sells the stones, they can either go to more Atlas interfaces or just not get the "ending" to the Atlas path. Not everyone is supposed to get the same result.

Unicorn

Disagree wholeheartedly. In a game where inventory is important and the meaning of Atlas is important, if someone pays zero attention and just sells the stones, they can either go to more Atlas interfaces or just not get the "ending" to the Atlas path. Not everyone is supposed to get the same result.
In a game that highlights the lone alien in an outpost every fucking single fucking time, and bombards you with notifications and warnings and milestones it is certainly inconsistent. Of course so much of this game is inconsistent, so watever.

Raist

Banned
Galactic Time Unit 1,152,134,091

Dear Journal,

After wandering for days in random directions on a barren, extremely radioactive planet, cataloguing the few mutated species that managed to evolve here and collecting Emeril, I just found a crashed ship. Similar model to mine. Slightly better storage. But I made the mistake of claiming this ship mine before taking care of the necessary logistics.

I know not where my good old ship is. Such is life, I guess. Goodbye ship #4. You will be missed.

Fuck

I saw what looked like a giant flare go off beyond the horizon the other day. No idea what it was.

curb

Banned

To me, the experience of getting my first stone at an
Atlas Station
seemed like a big deal. I felt it indicated some importance to the item. I do get the other side of it though in that the UI could be more clear that you probably shouldn't sell them.

Qwark

I saw what looked like a giant flare go off beyond the horizon the other day. No idea what it was.

Yeah, that seems similar to what I'm seeing. The only thing I've been able to find around there are the smoking machinery that contains blueprints, so maybe that's it.

Someone should make No Man's Sky themed terrariums. I'm not really into nor have any game related memorabilia, but a terrarium with a starship and maybe a knowledge stone would be dope.

What an awesome idea. We did a little in-house workshop at work where we all created small succulent terrariums that turned out pretty cool. I could definitely see one with a NMS ship miniature. Maybe down the road modders will be able to pull the exact model of the ship you're flying so that we could covert it into a format to be more easily 3D printed.

This is super annoying

Even if it's not a free move, it'd still be nice to see something implemented-- either officially through patches or a mod on PC-- like "move X for 20 Carbon" or some other plentiful resource

If it's blue sparks/flashes of light then it's likely the damaged/crashed machinery. They always catch my eye as well. The bioluminescence you see as you fly overhead at dusk or at night is always really pretty as well.

TheRed

I'm really glad mods seem to be easy to make for this game. Already have like a dozen installed and they improve the game and it's presentation. The new flying low mod is great and gives a closer feeling to actually being able to do anything you want. Going underwater is really cool with the ship, though don't find much and can't get out. Can't wait to see what mods keep doing for this game. If free updates don't do much at least we'll have modders.

So yeah, sometimes the pods crackle and pop, but often I hear a sole firework go off and can see them at times as well (usually of a single color). I believe these same firework like particle shots go off whenever you access a monolith or whatever, except they light shoots up and the explosion happens off-screen (only the light from it shimmers down).

Just saw the lowflight mod, I've been waiting for something like that.

It'd be cool if they patched in a "casual flight" toggle to the game. On for when you want to just point in a direction and go without having to worry about anything (which I think I'd still use quite a bit), off for when you want to get a bit more involved with flight.

Crashed ships will still have a chance to be 48 slots. I don't know about random space station ships.

Nope, just farm they will be 47 or 48. I like to chill in the space station to see if anything I like pops up.

I did just as you both suggested and looked for crashed ships at 48. I found a few and eventually settled on this little beauty—A fully upgraded, 48-slotted, Delorean/X-wing-hybrid starship.

Cqj82YdWAAAZhM_.jpg

Now to take it for a spin around a few solar systems.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've seen explosions on the ground, and it seems like the game reloading depots I've destroyed.

reson8or

At the end of the day, the game isn't about telling you exactly what to do and how to do it. It's your choice to look at an item and decide for yourself whether or not to keep it or sell it, not for the game to tell you "KEY ITEM. CAN'T BE SOLD." It's your choice whether or not to follow the Atlas path at all.

Fuck this game.

reson8or

That's just a matter of taste. I don't like the Souls games, though I've tried. But I love this and can't stop playing it.

I really enjoyed it also for a good while, but find it's glaring flaws far outweigh its strengths for me in the end. I really hope everyone who enjoys it continues to do. I personally could not.

I'm really glad mods seem to be easy to make for this game. Already have like a dozen installed and they improve the game and it's presentation. The new flying low mod is great and gives a closer feeling to actually being able to do anything you want. Going underwater is really cool with the ship, though don't find much and can't get out. Can't wait to see what mods keep doing for this game. If free updates don't do much at least we'll have modders.

I don't know how much modders will be able to add to the game, if at all. But the amount of QoL changes they've brought to NMS on PC have already been pretty significant. Hopefully HG takes a look at some of the things they've tweaked with the game-- like low-flight for example-- and see the positive reaction it's been garnering, and perhaps prompt them to patch in official support for those things on consoles, particularly if they're expanding into Xbox territory down the road.

I did just as you both suggested and looked for crashed ships at 48. I found a few and eventually settled on this little beauty—A fully upgraded, 48-slotted, Delorean/X-wing-hybrid starship.

Cqj82YdWAAAZhM_.jpg

Now to take it for a spin around a few solar systems.

Everybody goin' after them sleek ships.

I like the big angular ones. Except the space trucker Winnebago looking deals. They should let you rename your ship.

goonergaz

Fucking YES! I FINALLY have some fucking antimatter! 

In the end it was at another crashed ship location...I made the right choice one one of them spheres.

Now I just need to figure out how to navigate the flaming star system map...

Fucking YES! I FINALLY have some fucking antimatter! 

In the end it was at another crashed ship location...I made the right choice one one of them spheres.

Now I just need to figure out how to navigate the flaming star system map...

Yeah the grind gets lightened significantly when you start amassing blueprints for critical things like suspension fluid, antimatter, shielding sheets etc..

goonergaz

Yeah the grind gets lightened significantly when you start amassing blueprints for critical things like suspension fluid, antimatter, shielding sheets etc..

TBH I think antimatter was one of the last things I needed lol, I seem to be forever finding blueprints I already have (25ish hours in)

JarrodL

Ran into a weird glitch today. Landed on a typical barren planet (no fauna, minimal flora). Looked around with a scanner and was very surprised to see life sign dots pulsing in the distance. Double-checked that the to-scan creature list on the planet discoveries list is empty (it was). Very puzzled, I ran off to check, only to discover that the "creatures" are invisible (except for that dot when using the scanner) and cannot be interacted with, even when standing right next to them.

Ran into a weird glitch today. Landed on a typical barren planet (no fauna, minimal flora). Looked around with a scanner and was very surprised to see life sign dots pulsing in the distance. Double-checked that the to-scan creature list on the planet discoveries list is empty (it was). Very puzzled, I ran off to check, only to discover that the "creatures" are invisible (except for that dot when using the scanner) and cannot be interacted with, even when standing right next to them.

JarrodL was never seen nor heard from again.

I need to start naming spooky planets "BEN DROWNED"

kingwingin

Are hyperdrives obtained from talking to aliens? Im only 5 warps into the gane but im dying to visit different coloured starships

Top Bottom