• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Not sure if it the same for everyone

It only increases the size of models at the maximum LOD. So things pop from tiny to huge as you get closer to them. Also people are complaining it kills framerate.

Hmm hmm, interesting, thank you! Probably will hold off for a bit, I've really been enjoying the fly low mod, whipping just along the surface is honestly a wee bit thrilling. It also just seems like the decision to restrict the height probably came really late in the game, probably after some shitty QA or something, the low flying mods just makes landing, especially on the pads, and navigating the world waaaaaaaaaaaay easier.

It only increases the size of models at the maximum LOD. So things pop from tiny to huge as you get closer to them. Also people are complaining it kills framerate.

That makes sense given how the pop-in works with larger things like floating resource sphere (iridium, etc..) or pillars of heridium.

It seems that the latest experimental build fixed the transmission tower glitch in Gek planets. At least I can't do it anymore.

Yeah, they seem to be fixing all the major bugs. Last night I duped myself 10 Atlas Stones just in case they fix the dupe bug later, and just in case the Atlas Stones are useful for something.

If that's the case....

*FARM CRASHES FOR A 48 SLOT SHIP NOW*

FYI once you have a 48 slot, ships you find still have a chance to be 48 slots. So even if you don't like the way it looks, take it and benefit from the extra slot while you look for the perfect ship.

My 45 slot ship that I gave up had the perfect look for me. I've yet to see it again but having the extra slots really does help.

N° 2048

Someone posted a thread in off topic about some cool looking posters NASA made up:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/

Someone first made a thread about them in January 2015, lots of NMS vibes.

Especially this one:

venus-small.jpg

Has anyone run into the "destroy a pillar of resources only to stop gathering them halfway through even though there's still a ton left" bug?

I've had it happen a ton, I'll be blasting giant pillars of Aluminium or something, and at first it'll let me collect them like normal but at some point it just stops. Inventory isn't full, still tons of resource to mine, but the pillar will simply destroy and I'll get nothing from it.

Super annoying when I'm at like 189/200 needed for an upgrade but it's a rare element so I get stuck even though there's a mass of it right in front of me.

mokeyjoe

Has anyone run into the "destroy a pillar of resources only to stop gathering them halfway through even though there's still a ton left" bug?

I've had it happen a ton, I'll be blasting giant pillars of Aluminium or something, and at first it'll let me collect them like normal but at some point it just stops. Inventory isn't full, still tons of resource to mine, but the pillar will simply destroy and I'll get nothing from it.

Super annoying when I'm at like 189/200 needed for an upgrade but it's a rare element so I get stuck even though there's a mass of it right in front of me.

No, but I have seen aluminium pillars that are 50% rock, are you sure it isn't just unmineable rock?

Has anyone run into the "destroy a pillar of resources only to stop gathering them halfway through even though there's still a ton left"?

Always do a scan when you're mining from those pillars, it will show you were there are resources and where there are none. The resources seem to get "filled in" to connect the actual harvestable elements as seamlessly as possible with the ground unless the pillar goes deep underground. Only case where you generally don't have to do this is Copper, since they're usually floating and nothing is generally filled in.

Aenima

I dunno if its the same, but i notice in biger than normal pillars, they have something like a bone or core in the middle that cant be mined, and u can only carve around it. In the medium to small pillars that dont happen.

Help! I am starting to wonder if I'm doing things right. I am still so far from the galactic core that it seems like I'm never going to reach it.

I have all 3 warp reactor upgrades. I am currently 163k light years from the center. Every time I jump, using the "Path to galactic core" as my guide, I can jump about 8 systems for a linear distance of around 500 light years, but it only really gets me about 100-200 light years closer to the core.

Story spoiler-
I already finished the Path of the Atlas and get an opportunity to use a black hole now and then from Nada.

What's going on? Am I supposed to be doing something else? Will I be 90 years old by the time I finish this game? Or am I doing the math all wrong? Thanks.

No, but I have seen aluminium pillars that are 50% rock, are you sure it isn't just unmineable rock?

Always do a scan when you're mining from those pillars, it will show you were there are resources and where there are none. The resources seem to get "filled in" to connect the actual harvestable elements as seamlessly as possible with the ground unless the pillar goes deep underground. Only case where you generally don't have to do this is Copper, since they're usually floating and nothing is generally filled in.

I dunno if its the same, but i notice in biger than normal pillars, they have something like a bone or core in the middle that cant be mined, and u can only carve around it. In the medium to small pillars that dont happen.

Yeah, I know about the core to some of the larger pillars, (found an absolutely INSANE pillar of Emeril that stretched way up into the sky and very deep into the soil that had one) this isn't that. For example I'll find one of those Aluminium supplies that looks like a UFO disc sticking out of the ground. I'll mine at it and little blobs will fly my way and the resource will pop up at the top of the screen showing how many pieces I'm getting. Halfway through that disc the number will just go away and even though I can continue to mine/destroy the disc, I won't get anything from it.

I'm not using grenades or anything to destroy them so it's not like I'm accidentally mining normal terrain, it's the actual mineral deposit being mined with my beam but I'll only get resources for like half of it. I've left behind 3-4 half mined discs of Aluminium because of this. I never had the problem before the patches and I don't know if they're causing new bugs as they fix old ones but it's super annoying and definitely a new thing I didn't deal with when the game first came out.

I record all my NMS play time so the next time it happens I'll write down the time stamp and try to cut a video to post. Sounds like I'm the only one experiencing this so far ):

HeeHo

Really close to the Platinum for this game. Alls I need is ships destroyed ( was waiting on a 25 mil ship with 40 slots) so I got that covered. The other thing I need is the discovery of all life on 10 planets. I already have 8 out of 10 (i cheesed one by uploading a planet that had no life) and I am already at a planet where I only have 1 creature left to find. It's giving me trouble though. I know they are in caves and water too and it usually ends up being another type of bird, but man, it takes too long to find the last creature. This is like this with every planet I've been to. I get really excited because I've nearly found them all within 30 minutes and then it ends up being a 2+ hour affair because of the last one.

Septimius

Help! I am starting to wonder if I'm doing things right. I am still so far from the galactic core that it seems like I'm never going to reach it.

I have all 3 warp reactor upgrades. I am currently 163k light years from the center. Every time I jump, using the "Path to galactic core" as my guide, I can jump about 8 systems for a linear distance of around 500 light years, but it only really gets me about 100-200 light years closer to the core.

Story spoiler-
I already finished the Path of the Atlas and get an opportunity to use a black hole now and then from Nada.

What's going on? Am I supposed to be doing something else? Will I be 90 years old by the time I finish this game? Or am I doing the math all wrong? Thanks.

When you finished the Atlas path you
can see all black holes.
Disregard the path to the core and instead do free roam, aim for the shiney part and go about 1600 ly in that direction. With all three warp cores, you should be able to go 1500. With all in the same line, you should be able to do 1600. Black holes have a bullshit "distance travelled", but using them gets you some hundred lightyears closer to center. The 1500 ly from all warp cores is abou 500 in distance to the core, which is utter bullshit, but hey, that's the way the game works. So all in all, you can get about 800 ly or so per jump. So you're well over 200 jumps away from the core.

I gave up.

Septimius

Have there been any patch notes lately? I'm completely turned off by the game until they patch something interesting, and at least give me patch notes.

Loudninja

Have there been any patch notes lately? I'm completely turned off by the game until they patch something interesting, and at least give me patch notes.
They are doing bug fixes right now,the next patch for the PS4 fixes more crashes and other stuff.

I think they are about done just about.

Wait a second, does the survive trophy glitch out if the console is turned off?

Newest update fixes this for me on PC, so don't sweat it too much, fix should arrive on PS4 within the next week. Unless you need it for a Nada request right away I'd suggest just soldiering on.

JSR_Cube

I got my platinum today. It has been a good ride but I am done now. I thought the game gave me an experience like no other. It wasn't perfect though by any means but I had fun.

legacyzero

Banned
funny-gif-thumb-up-facebook-comment.gif

Welcome back man!

Welcome back, brother.

Welcome back to the funhouse Legacy. It's been a crazy couple of weeks °____°

Yes and no. No assets are added here, just the size changed of the flora changed for an awesomely dramatic effect. I've been on plenty of lush worlds or strange worlds that are a far cry from "muddy and poopy" (lol) even without that mod. That mod is awesome though and I agree that the sense of scale and alienness that it adds is a huge boon to the game.

Well hello stranger. Welcome back!

I don't think that's true unfortunately. Even if they pull off some real magic with their update schedule and manage to make the game very close to what was "originally promised", I think so many people are going to be miffed after the whole launch debacle they'll never come around to it.

From what I remember everyone was loving Wind Waker right from the word go? I guess I wasn't on forums/boards much then.

Welcome back, lz!

Missed ya'll!

illk6ujxuvf.gif

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I find that journeying to the center really burns me out on the game. I kinda lost all will to when I was spoiled on it as well haha. I feel like I'm on a journey to find the sweetest planets, fully discover them and make them my own. That seems to be where I'm getting the most enjoyment out of my experience.

I think that's the heart of the game. It's no surprise that the people rushing to the centre are the majority of the complainers.

Septimius

So with the PC fix on the survival milestone, does it still have to be consecutive?

Are all the planets the same size?

Three different sizes. 10km, 15km, 20km in diameter.

I think that's the heart of the game. It's no surprise that the people rushing to the centre are the majority of the complainers.

I just have nothing left to do. I kind of want to get more into monoliths to uncover more of the story of the races, but I also wanna see what's at the center, and some rumors I've heard about stuff there. But it's just such a trek there. I have a 45 slot ship and max inv and multitool. I have all blueprints and most milestones. I just have nothing more to experience except looking at procedurally generated stuff. If there was something motivating me going forwards, I'd have fun exploring the planets I'd come across, but with nothing, I just can't motivate myself to play, even though I think about the game every single day.

Mindlog

I saw a giant version of the standard fighter sized class ship/cockpit.
It left before I could disassemble all of my stuff to buy it.
Going to stay in this system until I find one. Luckily it's Gek.

labx

Banned
This game is legit. Just saying. I don't understand how people can get back to previous systems or if there is any way to upgrade your ship without buying a new one. But god damn its so much fun.

Rush to the center to be disappointed, or needlessly drag on the pathetic hope that there is actual gameplay, outside of inventory management, hiding just around the corner? I'm not self-loathing so I just stopped playing.

Loudninja

This game is legit. Just saying. I don't understand how people can get back to previous systems or if there is any way to upgrade your ship without buying a new one. But god damn its so much fun.
Yep I not into survival game too much but this game has been pretty amazing for me.

Slay

With all three warp cores, you should be able to go 1500. With all in the same line, you should be able to do 1600. Black holes have a bullshit "distance travelled", but using them gets you some hundred lightyears closer to center. The 1500 ly from all warp cores is abou 500 in distance to the core, which is utter bullshit, but hey, that's the way the game works. So all in all, you can get about 800 ly or so per jump. So you're well over 200 jumps away from the core.

NOPE, black holes DO travel you in the 1500-2000 REAL LY range, they say some bullshit numbers after the jump (my first one was a little less than 300.000) but they get the job done. The downside is the damage you might get to some systems of the ship.

On the other hand , 3 linked reactors gives you 1600LY of bullshit range, and 400LY of real one.

Slay

Newest update fixes this for me on PC, so don't sweat it too much, fix should arrive on PS4 within the next week. Unless you need it for a Nada request right away I'd suggest just soldiering on.

GREAT NEWS, did they fixed the distance to center per jump too?

Aenima

Wait a second, does the survive trophy glitch out if the console is turned off?

Not for me. I did the trophy in 2 days turning the console off while i slept and the Sols kept counting normal the next day. I just made sure i didnt left the planet i was on and did regular saves in case the game crashed.

r1chard

Decided to stuff the journey for the center, have reversed course and am heading out to see if there's an edge to the galaxy :)

Gotta get myself a slightly sweeter ride though. One of those cool Korvax explorer ships with the bubble cockpit. They're just so damned difficult to find crashed though (and I have not got the $75M to buy one ... yet). I tend to skip into a new system, check out the ships landing in the space station and if there's not a reasonable number of Korvax ships, I'll keep going to the next system - I think that's a sensible approach.

Oh! This is cool. A gallery of fighter ships and their seeds. Too bad I'm not PC'ing this game... for now...

Suit - 41
Ship - 19
Tool - 24

Pretty happy with the tool right now, but the ship sucks. Never really find anything in crashed ships (and they seem to be rare for me), and I don't feel like blowing through my cash to buy one.

Back up to 3.2M units after a suit upgrade spree, but the world I'm on that has pearls seems to be drying up. Think I'm going to stick it out here for the trophy if possible.

Aenima

Decided to stuff the journey for the center, have reversed course and am heading out to see if there's an edge to the galaxy :)

Gotta get myself a slightly sweeter ride though. One of those cool Korvax explorer ships with the bubble cockpit. [/URL]. Too bad I'm not PC'ing this game... for now...

Today just watched the movie Oblivion, and the movie have ALOT of things that probably Hello Games took inspiration from, the explorer ships are defenetly one of the things they took inspiration from this movie.

765034f671d5ce4d5bf36a2269137bdc.jpg

screen-shot-2016-04-12-at-16_fotor.png

Cockpit view:
image02.jpg

Asteroid.png

Also the end of the movie resemble alot with some things you see when u follow the Atlas Path and some spacestations

Top Bottom