• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

carlos

Ughh spent 10 minutes trying to scan a flock of birds but the friggin thing wont work.
Also tried shooting them and they wouldnt die. Fuck their wacky flight patterns.

Night came and they disappeared and now they wont spawn anywhere...fuckkkkkkkk

Ughh spent 10 minutes trying to scan a flock of birds but the friggin thing wont work.
Also tried shooting them and they wouldnt die. Fuck their wacky flight patterns.

Night came and they disappeared and now they wont spawn anywhere...fuckkkkkkkk
Should be fixed in next patch.

I'm on the experimental build and just landed on a new planet. I was able to scan birds from relatively far away without it dropping scan progress. Maybe just dumb luck but that was great!

Not just dumb luck, it's really easy to scan them now. No longer do I have to spend forever walking in circles trying to shoot those bastards down only to lose track of it as it falls into the foliage!

Cross-posting from the screenshot thread.

I found a broken world.

Entering the atmosphere, I spot this...

20160827132014_1.jpg

20160827132507_1.jpg

Then I start noticing more, all over the place, the planet is doing weird things as if the texel generating algorithm is in a feedback loop...
20160827132613_1.jpg

Then...

All the ground texels vanished as soon as my ship landed on the pad....

20160827133046_1.jpg

Entering the building and exiting does nothing to fix it.... The texels are all invisible, lol.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Where the hell do you find iridium? Need it for a bunch of starship fixes and can't find it for sale or out in the wild anywhere .
Red arches on planets. Some Potato asteroids. Sometimes formations in caves that just look like a support pillar will be one. Doing scans in caves has gotten me a lot.

daxy

Nice anything else you notice?

Some of changes according to one dude's observations:
  • Scanning is super fast now, zooming in on flying creatures registers and scans as long as they are near the crosshair
  • 75% life support no longer gives the "life support low" warning
  • Gek Transmission Tower interfaces have been replaced with Korvak Transmission Tower interfaces, meaning the bug where you can use the interface over and over no longer works.
  • Stability, seems to be running smoother, haven't crashed in the past few hours.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zs3ff/latest_experimental_build_106/

OuterLimits

Glad scanning flying creatures will be easier. Wish they would get rid of the "Units recieved" on so many uploads. Also be nice if you could upload all of them at once instead of each individually.

Raist

Banned
Make shielding plates out of iron and sell your titanium.

Not a big fan of shielding stuff. Sure, it's a way to recycle iron that quickly becomes useless yet is plentiful, but they take up a slot for just one charge. A full stack of titanium is, I dunno, maybe 5 or 6. Turns out there's a decent amount of titanium crytals here anyway.

edit: finally found that 14th species. Now to decide if I bail or stay for the extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme survival stuff.

Not a big fan of shielding stuff. Sure, it's a way to recycle iron that quickly becomes useless yet is plentiful, but they take up a slot for just one charge. A full stack of titanium is, I dunno, maybe 5 or 6. Turns out there's a decent amount of titanium crytals here anyway.

edit: finally found that 14th species. Now to decide if I bail or stay for the extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme survival stuff.

Extreme Survival is a biiiiitcccccccchhh. Like Fallout 4 100% Settlement happiness trophy levels of bitch.

And I am a huge fan of titanium for space defense. Killing sentinel drones gives you mountains of them and they stack.

Raist

Banned
Extreme Survival is a biiiiitcccccccchhh. Like Fallout 4 100% Settlement happiness trophy levels of bitch.

And I am a huge fan of titanium for space defense. Killing sentinel drones gives you mountains of them and they stack.

Yeah, I always try to keep a stack in my ship at all times. Not that I need it all that much, I kick asses at space combat :p

Raist

Banned
So I don't know if it was ever proven or not that "small" butterflies exist but I totally believe they can after running into these things on this planet I ended my session on right now.

I've seen 2 types so far. Looking and behaving completely different. The first one looked like your average 6yo kid drawing of a butterfly that was just hanging out around plants, the other one more like something you'd see in tropical areas that was just flying around like crazy and was an absolute bitch to scan especially since it was ridiculously tiny.

The amount of "it isn't in the game, they lied!" stuff that was posted within hours of the game launching (and I'm guessing mostly by people who just looked at a stream for 15mins) is staggering.

Here's a non-exhaustive list off the top of my head:

- Predators don't hunt preys - seen this countless times.

- No big mountains or deep oceans. I've been on top of mountains that basically put me over the first layer of foggy-ish clouds that you first traverse while flying out. I've been swimming in oceans so deep that both my O2 meter and shield got entirely depleted yet I couldn't see the floor.

- It's just barren looking rocks with shitty textures. For that one you just need to spend 10mins looking at screens threads.

- After a few hours, it's just all the same. I'm like, 60+h in at this stage and every time I play I see new stuff, and it's not just the same quadruped I've seen 10 times, but this time with a unicorn horn.

- No big space battles where you pick a side. I've joined god knows how many of these. On of them had 34 attacking ships. They won't do anything to you till you start engaging them. If you decide to join the pirate life instead, sentinels starships will be called in. More and more of them, and eventually huge destroyers that will likely wipe you out within seconds.

- No butterflies. Yep, seen these.

- No beaches. Yep, seen these.

- No big animals. Seen up to 8m tall. There's apparently even bigger out there.

- It's just basically grinding minerals and carbon. Well then how come you can see people tell you completely different ways how they play the game? Some just rush to the center. Some stick around their first system for hours. Some track down their dream ship and multitool. Some just want to take a million screens of landscapes and weird shit, or learn as many words as possible. Etc.

And so on and so forth. The whole "this and that is missing" has been insanely overblown.

I've seen 2 types so far. Looking and behaving completely different. The first one looked like your average 6yo kid drawing of a butterfly that was just hanging out around plants, the other one more like something you'd see in tropical areas that was just flying around like crazy and was an absolute bitch to scan especially since it was ridiculously tiny.

The amount of "it isn't in the game, they lied!" stuff that was posted within hours of the game launching (and I'm guessing mostly by people who just looked at a stream for 15mins) is staggering.

- No big mountains or deep oceans. I've been on top of mountains that basically put me over the first layer of foggy-ish clouds that you first traverse while flying out. I've been swimming in oceans so deep that both my O2 meter and shield got entirely depleted yet I couldn't see the floor.

- It's just barren looking rocks with shitty textures. For that one you just need to spend 10mins looking at screens threads.

- After a few hours, it's just all the same. I'm like, 60+h in at this stage and every time I play I see new stuff, and it's not just the same quadruped I've seen 10 times, but this time with a unicorn horn.

- No big space battles where you pick a side. I've joined god knows how many of these. On of them had 34 attacking ships. They won't do anything to you till you start engaging them. If you decide to join the pirate life instead, sentinels starships will be called in. More and more of them, and eventually huge destroyers that will likely wipe you out within seconds.

- It's just basically grinding minerals and carbon. Well then how come you can see people tell you completely different ways how they play the game? Some just rush to the center. Some stick around their first system for hours. Some track down their dream ship and multitool. Some just want to take a million screens of landscapes and weird shit, or learn as many words as possible. Etc.

And so on and so forth. The whole "this and that is missing" has been insanely overblown.
Great post.

McNum

I think the game either trolled me or took pity on me today. I had been searching all over a nice looking grass planet for the elusive 13th species. Couldn't find it for hours.

Got annoyed and didn't play for a week, then I logged in today and something kicked me off a cliff. Turn around with the scanner on... red dot. Undiscovered species. And that made 13 out of 13.

Now I guess the next step is getting through the Atlas path and getting me a better ship. I like my current one, but it's not a good one.

I played about 20 hours and haven't seen any of the bolded. Not everyone who has a criticism of the game are basing it off 15 minutes of streaming.

Tumle

exactly.. I'm not sure people understand how many 18 quantrilion planets are.. That they think every single thing will be found inside the first week of the games release.. Is just crazy..
I'm thinking is it ok to Call those people out and call them liars and every other venomous viterol that they have been throwing towards hello games?

Tumle

I played about 20 hours and haven't seen any of the bolded. Not everyone who has a criticism of the game are basing it off 15 minutes of streaming.
Well there in the game...
I haven't won the lottery but I'm pretty sure that's not a scam(other than almost impossible to win)

Whb29

Great post.

Yup, completely agree. I actually wonder whether the reason Hello Games is so quiet is because they know all the things people are whinging about are actually in there but not enough vocal people have seen them yet? Who knows, maybe you can only see other players if you have both reached the centre etc?

I think the procedural nature of the game is it's biggest strength and weakness. I suspect that a lot of people that love the game got lucky with their first few systems and saw a lot of awesome planets. Likewise I think a lot of the haters got unlucky with their first few systems and saw nothing but dull and similar planets for a few hours and came to the conclusion that half the game was missing.

So I took a Reddit post's suggestion to remove the scanner from my multi-tool, and by golly the game is so much better when you actually have to traverse the landscape to find objects, rather than just jet-packing from icon to icon.

If anybody is finding that the game is growing stale, I would definitely recommend it. Not only does it make exploration necessary as well as more fun, but it also frees up some multi-tool spaces!

Tumle

Yup, completely agree. I actually wonder whether the reason Hello Games is so quiet is because they know all the things people are whinging about are actually in there but not enough vocal people have seen them yet? Who knows, maybe you can only see other players if you have both reached the centre etc?

I think the procedural nature of the game is it's biggest strength and weakness. I suspect that a lot of people that love the game got lucky with their first few systems and saw a lot of awesome planets. Likewise I think a lot of the haters got unlucky with their first few systems and saw nothing but dull and similar planets for a few hours and came to the conclusion that half the game was missing.
Maybe.. We can say multiplayer is probably not in the game(wasn't build around it)
But I just think people have a hard time coming to terms with how big this game is..

Well there in the game...
I haven't won the lottery but I'm pretty sure that's not a scam(other than almost impossible to win)

I am not saying people are lying about seeing stuff. It is more of a question of how long you can reasonably expect someone to play in the hope of seeing some of the better things the game has to offer.

OK, so I think I may go back to Gek space and do the transmission tower trick before it's patched on PS4 (if indeed it did work on PS4). The ship is really holding me back at this point.

OuterLimits

Unfortunately quite a bit is missing,but it's still an ok game. Factions are a waste. You can be friendly with everyone, despite the fact the Gek and Vykeen obviously don't get along.

Some unique stuff appears, but many planets do look the same. Same looking plants, especially the clam looking things that are on every planet. Caves also look similar on every planet. Many animals are similar, but there is some cool variation at times. Apparently the clouds are the only thing not procedural as every planet has the same cloud formation. Weather only happens right at the surface as well.

The game feels really unfinished. It desperately needs some quests, and other activities to enhance the game.

I still enjoy exploring at times though, and it's still fun landing on new planets even if many look similar. Occasionally you do get a really cool looking one.

Although I am a bit bitter with the game at the moment. Lol. The game crashed 3 times on me last night after going days without one. It felt like the first week where it crashed often. Crashes are procedural as well I guess.

I've been on my Earth-like frozen planet for several days now looking for 2 species. I've seen people stuck with this in the past and here I am.

They are both on the bottom of the left and right lists. I've read that this indicates flying species? However, I've already scanned two flying species that are all over the place. I've travelled several miles to new areas following the white dots hoping it'll turn red... always get green.

My theory is at least one is a deep aquatic species. The problem is, I can't find the ocean that I had found the other two aquatic animals in. I'm at a loss and may just bail =[.

Edit: oh, and when I went into orbit to get a better view to find the ocean, I was attacked by pirates, transporting me far across the system to the space station with a damaged ship. I made my way back to my grave and was attacked again. Spent most of an hour trying to buy minerals from the same three travelers to build a shield upgrade... failed and decided to huff it back. Got my grave market again and shot straight back down to the planet (moon actually). Weren't my best moments in the game but I still love it.

Raist

Banned

That's fine. But "it's not in the game, they lied" is not criticism, it's a factually incorrect claim based on absence of evidence.

somme

I've seen all of these except the giant creatures. I've seen some big ones, but nothing really, really big.. yet!

I just saw some huge mountains, so big in fact the birds were flying lower than myself and the peak of the mountain.

I am not saying people are lying about seeing stuff. It is more of a question of how long you can reasonably expect someone to play in the hope of seeing some of the better things the game has to offer.

If you upgrade your warp drive, you can travel to different classes of planets, which can make a huge difference to the things you see. I'm exploring some class E (green) systems and have seen a lot of stuff mentioned above.
And somebody should correct me if I'm wrong, but you can do all this from the get go.

bosseye

So has anyone seen a giant Sandworm yet? I want the internet fame that will come by being the first!

Looking forward to getting back to this tonight, got a 24 slot multi-tool now, just need to sort my ship and suit. Going to jump systems again I think, had enough in this one.

magawolaz

A couple of questions about
black holes

1) I asked
Nada to find me a black hole
, but the coordinates didn't appear in the galactic map. Happened twice already, what am I doing wrong?
2) I'm 160k ly away from the center, I jump by ~1600 ly with the ship
and no more than 2000 with black holes (if my calcolations are correct) but it's taking me forever: do some black holes get you radically closer (like tens of thousands ly closer)?
How did people get to the center on day1? I don't get it.

aaaaand... bottom of the page again

Top Bottom